Cale Morton

mordja

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not averse to letting him go. I don't think he's going to come on like we expected or hoped. He might, but I doubt it, and I think we have players to fill gaps in the side that Morton may or may not create if he leaves.

In other words, if the trade is good enough, he can go.

Just like we did with Jamar.

Hardly sets a precedent at all using McLean,Ray and Fiora. He has not been playing well but he has had the last 2 years interrupted with injury. As relatively tall midfielder (192cm) I would be prepared to have some patience with him. He needs to improve. But I would not be getting rid of him unless the deal was good. I think he has good upside.

You know as well as anyone that ruckmen are an exception to the rule Rhino.

Jamar was competing against Jolly and White in his early days.

Morton was a no. 4 draft pick who has been given the easiest 50 + games any AFL player could ask

for.

Oh, and please spare me of the '2 injury interrupted years' rant. It's a disgrace that people are making that

excuse.

Do these injuries excuse him of these basic skill errors he continues to commit? No.

I think the potential upside outweighs the price we'd fetch at this point in his career.

Gee, I haven't heard that before...

What potential upside nasher? Let go of the fact that he was once a number 4 pick.... Recruiters get it

wrong sometimes.

You're hanging on to something that ain't there.

I don't hold as much optimism for Morton as some others do but to put this into a list management context is so so hard for varying reasons.

As 'rpfc' mentioned in the list management thread, we can't get too carried away with delistings with the state of our list atm. Unless we got handsome compensation for him going to GWS or traded Morton to a team willing to cough up something decent (does the compromised draft help us here?) then it's probably better to keep him on our list for 2 more years.

Of interest to me is whether his management and the club come to an amicable contract negotiation. I say this because IMO he just doesn't have the currency to command a "typical" contract for a #4 pick with 4 yrs under his belt (regardless of injuries) but he may see things differently.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

I'm on the keep him side of the fence, but only just.

IMO he needs to lift BIG TIME, but i dont see where the urgancy is coming from to get rid of him? i'd probably keen him on the list infront of Dunn, Bate, Newton etc etc who are older and proving yet again that they are not quite up to it. Those who say trade him now while he has value i'd ask this - what do you expect to get for him? Everyother club would be seeing the same Cale Morton that we see.... Trade wouldnt be worth our while. No harm in keeping him on for another season or two, however there would be harm in continuing to play him for the sake of it?!

If we want value for trades, why not float one of our 4 ruckmen?! Atleast they'll have currency

I really feel I try to give Morton a go, but it's getting harder and harder. But when you see so many younger players have thirst for the contest and dispose of the ball just as well as, if not better than him, and how are you meant to be left feeling.

He has these "moments" where he'll do something quite intelligent, and I think that's great work but then 2 minutes later he butchers a kick and costs us a goal. I'm quickly losing patience with him, and much like it was for Sylvia last year, it's time Cale brought his A game to the table.

I would probably happily take a trade at the end of the year, just so I can stop have heart palpitations every time he has the ball!

Guest Artie Bucco

Do you generally have low standards?

No, I just think his form is reasonable considering his age and 'development arc'.

He'll take longer, and has had extra challenges that most are happy to ignore, but I think he'll still be a very good player.

I'm often right about these things.

No, I just think his form is reasonable considering his age and 'development arc'.

He'll take longer, and has had extra challenges that most are happy to ignore, but I think he'll still be a very good player.

All fine if you're talking about the rest of his career, but right now he's adding nothing to the team and seems to be completely shot of confidence. I'm not entirely sure dropping him will help but to suggest you're happy with how he's going right now borders on taking the [censored].

Oh, the development arc you are talking of.... That would be how many more games than 60?

Guest Artie Bucco

Oh, the development arc you are talking of.... That would be how many more games than 60?

Your lack of understanding in this matter is palpable.

Trade bait. Has absolutely no ticker, dropped an easy overhead mark in the first qtr due to perceived pressure. To many blokes who have a crack are missing out.

Slippery ball. He's one of our better marks, which you need moving up and down the ground between back and forward. Against the bulldogs, perhaps our best mark, Col Sylvia dropped half a dozen he would normally have gobbled up. Have you not noticed how many Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah have dropped this season. It happens. If you want to find something to criticise it's easy. But that doesn't reveal wise perception.

Edited by Harrisonrules

Had another look at the last quarter this morning. Saw Morton competing for a ground ball. He went in full pelt, outbodied his man, won the ball and found a teammate with the handball from his knees. It's only a single incident, but it's exactly what we've all been wanting from him. He's showing signs of getting it. Now he needs to do it all the time, not just a couple of times a match.

He has grown too tall to lost pace. Yet he has no put on any muscle and is way too weak. He is a shadow of what he was when he was first drafted. I would be happy for him to go to GWS for a 2nd round compo pick.

Way too soft.

You have a unjustafiably healthy opinion of yourself there Artie.

How is it that his form is 'reasonable'? You have given no evidence to back that up. Simply motherhood statements that do not withstand even cursory scrutiny.

The fact you say his form is reasonable is laughable when you compare his performances this year to Nicholson, Howe, Jordie, Trengove who have all played less games and are less developed as players. And I am talking about input not output.

Cale's efforts are without doubt the worst in the senior team. You clearly aren't watching him because it is unfathomable that you would come to the conclusion that you are happy with his performance. Even his solid supporters on this site are lamenting his lack of effort and intensity.

Is it lonely out there on that limb?

I can deal with players making mistakes and getting beaten. I can't deal with a lack of effort.

But maybe your lack of 'effort' in trying to justify his performance means that you and Cale see things in the same light :)

All fine if you're talking about the rest of his career, but right now he's adding nothing to the team and seems to be completely shot of confidence. I'm not entirely sure dropping him will help but to suggest you're happy with how he's going right now borders on taking the [censored].

All our truly 'Outside' type players are struggling with todays style of footy.

Bennell too, Blease has to learn to adapt to playing contested footy & operating within a confined space situations. they all do.

I'm almost ready to trade Morton out, but am willing in my mind to make room for him, for a 1 plus 1 Year contract, to allow him some time to adjust his game to a more modern style. But if we can get a suitable trade for a good outcome, I hope we consider it strongly.

Prestia may fit the bill.

Slippery ball. He's one of our better marks, which you need moving up and down the ground between back and forward. Against the bulldogs, perhaps our best mark, Col Sylvia dropped half a dozen he would normally have gobbled up. Have you not noticed how many Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah have dropped this season. It happens. If you want to find something to criticise it's easy. But that doesn't reveal wise perception.

Quality hands on they're own, is nowhere near good enough to make it.

Had another look at the last quarter this morning. Saw Morton competing for a ground ball. He went in full pelt, outbodied his man, won the ball and found a teammate with the handball from his knees. It's only a single incident, but it's exactly what we've all been wanting from him. He's showing signs of getting it. Now he needs to do it all the time, not just a couple of times a match.

He needs to improve a lot of things to be of use to our aspirations.

He also needs to improve his ability to move with the ball with more intensity and make quick decisions on the go at an uprated tempo. This slow-mo play has to stop. Winning is 90% about outscoring your opponent, so helping the forwards with quick clean supply is very important.

Also stripping the opposition forwards of their ball when they've got it, is imperative. So the ability/desire to tackle & chase meaningfully is crucial.

Slow Outside recievers are like dinosaurs.

If he's in the team for his kicking then we're in some real strife because some of his disposal over the weekend was shocking. Personally I think the wait is over and he needs to move on. If anything he is going backwards, not forwards.

Your lack of understanding in this matter is palpable.

The arrogance of your so called understanding is palpable. The guy is a small boy playing a mans game.

He is by far and away the worst player in the 22 at the moment. He actually pulls on a jumper and runs out there pretending to play football. He pretends to chase, Tackle and he even protends to be aggressive at contests. He has so far been an out and out disgrace this year.

His constant butchering of the ball can no longer be tolerated. If he continues to be played it is obvious its for renumeration purposes only.

Weak!!

The writing is on the Wall for Cale. Being dropped for the Hawks is a bad sign. I expect him to be traded.

Edited by Deano74