Ricky (Bobby ) Petterd

jackaub

I have for some time really believed that we as a team were not fierce enough

Petterd on saturday wsas the real deal. I have not seen such attack on the ball player as that for a long time. Absolutely fantastic Ricky may it continue and show others how its done!

Melbourne monstered the Richmond ball players.

An AFL record 13 tackles inside 50 goes to prove that too jackaub. Was a stellar performance from Ricky, and I hope he keeps it up, cause when he is "on" he's a fantastic addition to our side.

I have for some time really believed that we as a team were not fierce enough

Pettard on saturday wsas the real deal. I have not seen such attack on the ball player as that for a long time. Absolutely fantastic Ricky may it continue and show others how its done!

Melbourne monstered the Richmond ball players.

Agree entirely with your post, but still suggest a 2 week suspension (reduced to one with an early guilty plea) for not only misspelling his name in the post but in the damn subject line as well!

It was the attitude of all the forwards that led to this many tackles.

At the start of the year Watts couldn't tackle and Green and Jurrah wouldn't tackle. Those 3 have stepped it up.

But we still need to improve. Gourdis and McGuane were responsible for a lot of the turnovers/letting us get tackles. Most sides have better equipped players than those 2.

Going to Casey was the best thing that could happen to him... Petterd's rise started with the Casey game against Collingwood and has continued since. He has rediscovered his mojo and is not going to allow himself for the remainder of the season, to be in a position where demotion is an option.

Ricky has always been a naturally tough and courageous competitor. His mindset changed when he was called on to play a leading forward role.

Hopefully he can find that happy place where he is both a dangerous and effective, attacking forward and a dogged defensive one.

It was the attitude of all the forwards that led to this many tackles.

At the start of the year Watts couldn't tackle and Green and Jurrah wouldn't tackle. Those 3 have stepped it up.

But we still need to improve. Gourdis and McGuane were responsible for a lot of the turnovers/letting us get tackles. Most sides have better equipped players than those 2.

Of course we still need to improve. Even if we win the flag next year we still need to improve. But concentrating on the now, let's just congratulate Ricky for a tip top effort.

This was a freak event that won't happen again, but I'm pleased all the same. If he can keep up a high level of defensive work in the forward 50, there'll be no need for him to be dropped again. There's never been any doubt in my mind that he's got all the tools to be an excellent defensive forward, this year it's just been a matter of waiting for it all to come together. I wouldn't expect double figure f50 tackles every week, but I don't think 4 or 5 is too much to ask for.

Keep it up Ricky.

What he didnt show early in the season ( apart from the Swans "sub game") which he has shown specifically in the last two games is a kamikaze approach to the contest - be it ball or man. Thats what impressed last year before injury and thats what I am loving now.

This was a freak event that won't happen again, but I'm pleased all the same. If he can keep up a high level of defensive work in the forward 50, there'll be no need for him to be dropped again. There's never been any doubt in my mind that he's got all the tools to be an excellent defensive forward, this year it's just been a matter of waiting for it all to come together. I wouldn't expect double figure f50 tackles every week, but I don't think 4 or 5 is too much to ask for.

Keep it up Ricky.

4 or 5 tackles I50 each week is still a great effort - would be extremely pleased if he was able to do that for the rest of the season.

Going to Casey was the best thing that could happen to him... Petterd's rise started with the Casey game against Collingwood and has continued since. He has rediscovered his mojo and is not going to allow himself for the remainder of the season, to be in a position where demotion is an option.

I agree whole heartedly. His game with Casey was outstanding where he played up the ground and was leading in possessions on the day. Gave him confidence.

How do you know that? It might be unlikely but it is clearly possible.

It was a great effort, but it'd take another team to fumble and bumble everything in their backline again for it to be repeated. I doubt there are worse defenders with ball in hand than McGuane and Gourdis.

Would be nice to see it again on Aug 21.

No 45, you are not alone there. Absolutely gives me the irrits. Wouldn't bother me if they called him that, but just leave out the Ricky. My Grandads name is Errol, but for some reason he has always been called Bryce. You don't hear people calling him Errol Bryce.

Edited by Kento80

Am I the only one who can't stand the "Ricky Bobby" nickname?

No count me in, I cringe every time I hear it at the footy or see it in print. My explanation for it is that some over americanised peanut supporter started it. But the americanisation of our game looks irreversable especially now that they went straight to the american name book to get nick names for the two new teams.

What he didnt show early in the season ( apart from the Swans "sub game") which he has shown specifically in the last two games is a kamikaze approach to the contest - be it ball or man. Thats what impressed last year before injury and thats what I am loving now.

I also love his ability to keep the ball in our 50 and 'alive'. He is very creative and dangerous in they way he does this. if he can't have a shot or kick to a teammate he is fantastic with his hands, following and trapping the ball and pushing it around with his hands. Watts is also great in this way. Petterd was also doing this last year before he was injured. He really was our most potent forward before LJ returned.