Changes for next week

deeflog

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my association with Liam I won't pretend to be objective. Obviously he had a poor game today and has been relatively quiet for a few weeks. However, maybe the coaches should think about playing him closer to goal, where he mainly played up until this year. It was his instinctive play near goals and high marking which set the football world on fire, leading him to kick the fastest first 50 goals (in 20 games) in a decade. Now he seems to be positioned further up the ground as a flanker - in no mans land. I agree with several of the comments about him - he seems a bit lost, not knowing what his role is and is not working hard enough for this position. Maybe dropping him will do the trick, but then again, maybe he needs to be played out of the goal square and told to just play his natural game and go for it. I heard Leigh Mathews recently describe LJ as a natural full forward. Maybe he should be given the opportunity to play as one.

Think there will be a few changes this week

In: Jamar, Tapscott, Nicholson, Petterd

Out: Gawn, Jetta, Bennell, Jurrah

Tempted by Cook and Garland but holding back for a week. I really want to see a few games from Evans and Nicholson and see how they match up compared to Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Howe, Tappy etc so we can make a strong decision at the end of the year for senior list or not. I'd also see how Bate and Dunn go this week at Casey and make the decision the following week if we need one or both and how they fit in.

Edited by Dee-licious

Because of my association with Liam I won't pretend to be objective. Obviously he had a poor game today and has been relatively quiet for a few weeks. However, maybe the coaches should think about playing him closer to goal, where he mainly played up until this year. It was his instinctive play near goals and high marking which set the football world on fire, leading him to kick the fastest first 50 goals (in 20 games) in a decade. Now he seems to be positioned further up the ground as a flanker - in no mans land. I agree with several of the comments about him - he seems a bit lost, not knowing what his role is and is not working hard enough for this position. Maybe dropping him will do the trick, but then again, maybe he needs to be played out of the goal square and told to just play his natural game and go for it. I heard Leigh Mathews recently describe LJ as a natural full forward. Maybe he should be given the opportunity to play as one.

Rudeboy, he has to adapt, he's not a power forward & never in a month of sundays will he ever be. He has to learn to play to the team strategies, and play closer to the ground style footy.

And he hads to learn to tackle. And chase hard. Otherwise he won't make it. Thats Simply the way footy is in 2011.

The floods and press have reduced the open spaces onfield, and he has to adapt to those things and play more physical footy.

Maybe I am just not understanding todays football but I do wonder when all our forwards are standing on the wing what would be wrong with telling Jurrah to prowl inside 50m. You cant tell me he wouldn't be manned up? I would think at least 2 players would come back. He would create an option when we go forward and if a second dropped back should that not give us another link to go through? I dont believe his loss in a defensive press up the ground makes the difference so dont understand why this would not have more likelihood of creating a scoring opportunity.

I'm partly with you there QC, and partly not.

Bate to me (sadly) is beyond redemption. I really liked his endeavour from his first game, but believe the game has moved on beyond his talents before he has had a chance to fully mature.

Dunn is on notice. If & when he gets back in, he needs to deliver consistently. He has talent, but the next time he is dropped should IMO mark the last time he is played in the 1s. Maybe it's the mo that's sh1tting me. Lynden - ditch it! Get serious about your footy before it's too late!

Petterd, however, is a long way ahead of those 2. Early this year he made a big difference as a sub. After that, he's had a few poorer games, but I can't believe the no. of posters here now wanting his head.

If any of Bate, Dunn or Petterd get another run in the 1s, I would prefer if it's only 1 of them at a time. I'd rather use 2 of those 3 possies constructively for newer kids in development.

Survival of the fittest.

Oh we're not at all differing, I was just saying playing all three again togther would be utterly insane......

And I agree with you on Petterd, he is the one to come in for mine. Hopefully he has learned his lesson from previous weeks, and given his apparently BOG performance for Casey,

his prickly attitude and size and (hopefully) work rate will be valuable on the forward flank maybe pushing into the middle when necessary. He is my pick also.

Edited by QueenC

I see no point in bringing back Bate or Dunn.

Gawn would only make way if Jamar is ready to come back.

Other than that, given I haven't seen the game I have no clue, but I would suspect Petterd would get a game, Garland is probably fit too, and Jurrah might not be fit.

OUT: Green, Gawn, Bartram, MacDonald

IN: Jamar, Petterd, Tapscott, Garland

First reaction: "Stupid call. Can't drop the captiain after 1 poor game. He was great against the Bummers."

Second reaction: "Might be onto something there. Send a mesasge to the WHOLE TEAM - you don't win your position on the day, you're up for review at the selection table."

You sure you're not a psychologist Roost It?

I don't think we'll be seeing the Russian, which is a shame because the Fremantle rucks have been playing well even without Sandilands. That gives Gawn another game which is great because he's showing real improvement and is getting his hands to a lot of balls.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jurrah were rested if he's damaged that calf again. A week or two of rest could be just the thing. I wouldn't drop him to the VFL. If he goes for a break, Petterd would be my first choice to come in. He is more versatile than Bate and Dunn, being able to play midfield as well as forward.

Jetta had a shocker today. I'm not an advocate of dropping someone after one bad game, but if Tapscott is to come in, he would be my choice to make way. That being said, Tapscott may find himself in the VFL for a week to get some touch before coming back.

All in all, I don't see many changes for this week. Nicholson will be inlucky to miss again, but there will not be a spot for him.

OUT: Jetta (inj/OMITTED), Evans, Bennell, Morton

IN: Blease, Garland/Warnock, Petterd (!!!), Dunn

- Unsure what to do with Gawn?

- Jamar still a fortnight away...

- Tapscott one more week?

- Warnock and Garland fighting it out. Warnock is frustrating - most deserving of a call-up but struggles at AFL level.

- Morton is suffering... :(

OUT: Jetta (inj/OMITTED), Evans, Bennell, Morton

IN: Blease, Garland/Warnock, Petterd (!!!), Dunn

- Unsure what to do with Gawn?

- Jamar still a fortnight away...

- Tapscott one more week?

- Warnock and Garland fighting it out. Warnock is frustrating - most deserving of a call-up but struggles at AFL level.

- Morton is suffering... :(

WTF??

You want to drop Morton after a game like that? That's as well as we've seen him play for two years. He took on a tagging role, smashed Collingwood's most damaging rebound player and collected 22 disposals and 7 marks doing it. A bit of an overreaction because he stayed down in a marking contest isn't it? I can't count the number of times i've wished more of our players had the sense to not fly and spoil each other.

WTF??

You want to drop Morton after a game like that? That's as well as we've seen him play for two years. He took on a tagging role, smashed Collingwood's most damaging rebound player and collected 22 disposals and 7 marks doing it. A bit of an overreaction because he stayed down in a marking contest isn't it? I can't count the number of times i've wished more of our players had the sense to not fly and spoil each other.

Stats are often lies. Watched Morton closely today, did very few good things after the 1st quarter. The fact that someone's saying that's the best he's been in 2 years sums his career up thus far.

Stats are often lies. Watched Morton closely today, did very few good things after the 1st quarter. The fact that someone's saying that's the best he's been in 2 years sums his career up thus far.

Bang on target.

He is suffering quite badly unfortunately. A typical "pull your finger out" situation re: Cale.

I can respect that opinion, but I have to disagree. He did fade as the game progressed, and Shaw picked up some cheap disposals at the end, but I still say that he was one of our few winners for the day and deserves praise for it. Yes, he didn't go for a few contests when he should have, and it looked really bad when he stood and watched that mark in the goalsquare, but he's not alone in that. At least he knew he'd done the wrong thing. With luck he'll learn from it and do better next week.

Guest Artie Bucco

I think it's time for Cook to get a game.

Even if it's just 1 game to get a taste then back to Casey.

in: petterd, dunn, garland

out: jetta, gawn, evans

dont want to see gawn or evans dropped but i am pretty sure it will happen,

wouldnt mind seeing cook get a gig, but i think dunn will be chosen ahead of him for sure, and i would like to see him play another good game, and i think howe will get another game.

Dear All,

We got smashed in the midfield, please stop trying to re-structure our forward line. The issue we have, besides Blease, we don't have any midfielders left at Casey. Petterd was our best Midfielder on the weekend but I doubt he would play this role are AFL level. With this in mind for the first week ever I have no idea what changes will be made. I think Jurrah needs a week off and Jetta will be injured so we have two changes, Jamar will not be fit this week.

I'm hard on Morton cause I know what he can do.

Bennell played a defensive game today, and that's great. But being a selfless team player means helping out in attack too.

Well unfortunately rpfc we were both right this week but unfortunately a bigger loss than we both hoped.

We have opposite views on No. 7 I keep telling you he is ordinary but you continually cling to him.

Time and time again he puts in an average performance against the poorer teams and woeful vesus the good sides.

He is not up to it, back to Casey this week please.

Please don't drop forwards when the problem was our mids not winning any contested ball or clearances.

AJ we had no one who could take a contested mark Yesterday.

No stand and deliver forward, we must bring in either Dunn or Bate.

We need a mature solid tall forward added for the Freo game.

No, we need a midfield who gives our forwards more than 30 forward entries and concedes less than 70 inside 50s for the opposition.

Playing in our forward line is possibly the hardest place to play in the entire AFL, and consdering the lack of opporunities, our forwards are actually very good

Howe and Jurrah are both better marks than those 2 mugs.

IN: Petterd, Garland or Tapscott

OUT: Evans, Bartram

FB: Garland Frawley Strauss

HB: Bennell Rivers Macdonald

C: Scully Moloney Morton

HF: Sylvia Watts Howe

FF: Petterd Green Jetta

Foll: Martin Trengove McKenzie

INT: Gawn Gysberts Jones

Sub: Jurrah

I'd be keen on dropping Jurrah, but I think a game as a sub would help him. Even if he comes on when were getting smashed just to come on fresh and play his natural game would be nice to see.