Will we make the 8?

Curry & Beer

I think we can really get on a roll in the second half of the season like last year (although im not sure why this happens)....A good showing on monday will start this off.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fixture:

- Collingwood, MCG - Loss

- Freo, MCG - Win

- Richmond, MCG - Win??

- Dogs, Etihad - Loss??

- Bye (Rd16)

- Port, Darwin - Win

- Hawthorn, MCG - Loss

- Geelong, Skilled - Loss

- Carlton, MCG - Loss

- West Coast, Etihad - Loss??

- Richmond, MCG - Win??

- Gold Coast, MCG - Win

- Port, AAMI - Win??

Which means 6-8 wins for the rest of the year to put us on 10-12. We need to win 12 and currently possibly 13 to make the 'F' word which I dare not utter.

It'll be close, I'm expecting 9th-10th though.

wouldn't be surprised if <12 wins gets into the 8 this year

Its certainly going to be very interesting. Its very hard to know what to make of our season so far as there have been some real positives (gutsy comebacks against both Sydney and Brisbane,and great wins where we played scintillating football against Essendon and Adelaide) but also some real dissapointments (Hawthorn, West Coast, North Melbourne and the bruise free debacle against the blues). I think the defining part of our season will come over the next month or so where we play freo at the g,Richmond at the g,Bulldogs at etihad,and port in Darwin.With players coming back into the side like Jamar and Garland etc i think we realistically should win at least 2 of those and maybe 3 with a bit of luck. If thats the case then were a strong chance to scrape in the 8.

Any mention of the 8 should be put off until we can string a few weeks together with some consistent form. Shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves after a (albeit very good) win against an overrated and depleted side.

Exactly P_Man, although I would remove the mention of their depleted side, seeing that ours is even more so. It has annoyed me that the media use that as an excuse for the Bummers.

I think we can really get on a roll in the second half of the season like last year (although im not sure why this happens)....A good showing on monday will start this off.

I hope you're right, but nothing I've seen so far this year has given me ANY cofidence towards having consistency. This week as much as Adelaide, the players were reacting to criticism. I won't have any confidence at all until they perform well without needing to be prodded by criticism, and so far this year they haven't done that. I'm not trying to take away from a great, positive win, just trying to keep my hopes and dreams in perspective so I'm not disappointed as much as I have been so far this year.

I think we'll get around the 8-11 mark and finish 9th-13th.

I think that is pretty close, I have looked at the fixture 10 times.

Unless we get a lot better in the next month I stuggle to see us higher than 9th.

The month after QB will tell the tale. We need to win at least 3 of our matches against Freo, Richmond, Bulldogs and Port, and given our formline this year, it's probably asking a bit much. Still, keep the core midfield group uninjured and playing together and we've got a shot.

I think it's fitting that we'll have to win a game or two at Etihad to make the finals. We've been rubbish there for ages and now would be a good moment to turn that around.

It's obviously completely impossible to predict how we'll go from now on. I think people should expect to have some matches like Friday night and some like against West Coast. That said, I think we'll slip into 8th. This is based on nothing but the fact that I'm generally an optimist.

I used the AFL ladder Predictor.....and we will finish... 5th

The ladder predictor assumes things SHOUL happen like Tiges beating Port in Darwin, Freo beating Saints in Perth etc.

Use any system OTHER than the ladder predictor - great fun though to dream with.

I used the AFL ladder Predictor.....and we will finish... 5th

The ladder predictor assumes things SHOUL happen like Tiges beating Port in Darwin, Freo beating Saints in Perth etc.

Use any system OTHER than the ladder predictor - great fun though to dream with.

You can use the ladder predictor and put in your own predictions :P

Blame the player, not the game.

Too early to say but can't see it happening based on our inconsistent form to date. If we get on a roll and start getting some guys back from we could at least give it a shake but would required breaking some losing streaks (Etihad, AAMI and/or Carlton/Hawthorn/Collingwood) and rightfully so.

The month after QB will tell the tale. We need to win at least 3 of our matches against Freo, Richmond, Bulldogs and Port

The crux of the matter it seems to me. If we can get 3 of those under our belt, and maybe pull a surprise in that run of 3 against the top 4, anything could happen.

But ... lots of chicken-counting in those assumptions.

Edited by bing181

I think we narrowly miss finals this year. We dropped games we should have won, and lost games we should have lost. I think 8th would be fantastic, but the draw certainly suggest we will miss the 8. If a few of those Etihad games were at the MCG you would certainly chalk a few of those games down as wins.

An upset of the Pies would go a long way in keeping our finals hopes alive.

I think we narrowly miss finals this year. We dropped games we should have won, and lost games we should have lost. I think 8th would be fantastic, but the draw certainly suggest we will miss the 8. If a few of those Etihad games were at the MCG you would certainly chalk a few of those games down as wins.

An upset of the Pies would go a long way in keeping our finals hopes alive.

And there it is.......beating Collingwood would invert the whole equation, but is it even possible?

Who would make way for us to make the eight?

On current form its hard to see who we could knock out but it would have to be one of Essendon or Fremantle I would think. At this stage I could see St Kilda as more likely to leap frog us and sneak into the eight ahead of us.

The least we can do to give ourselves half a chance is to beat Freo in round 13. I just hope we can stay in contention for the rest of the year to make things interesting :)

Edited by Ascobar

Any mention of the 8 should be put off until we can string a few weeks together with some consistent form. Shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves after a (albeit very good) win against an overrated and depleted side.

Makes you wonder what depleted is with Davey,Jamar, Tapscott, Grimes and Garland out of our starting 18.

Who would make way for us to make the eight?

On current form its hard to see who we could knock out but it would have to be one of Essendon or Fremantle I would think. At this stage I could see St Kilda as more likely to leap frog us and sneak into the eight ahead of us.

The least we can do to give ourselves half a chance is to beat Freo in round 13. I just hope we can stay in contention for the rest of the year to make things interesting :)

The way I see it, there is a clear top four (Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton), and the premiership will be won by one of those.

Then there are West Coast and Sydney, who are thereabouts. West Coast is better, but neither is good enough to win it this year.

The final two spots will be raffled between Fremantle, St Kilda (soft draw coming home, they'll make it I reckon), Richmond, Essendon and us. If we play to our potential we are more than a chance given our draw, but I'm not expecting much. Fremantle will probably get enough players back to win enough of their home games to beat us there. Essendon is probably done for the year, and Richmond won't be consistent enough to get enough wins. I'm tipping St Kilda and Freo to take the last two spots.

No we won't. We've been thrashed by 15 goals in front of 76,000 people in our single blockbuster of the year. Our opponent, even accepting it has an even spread of talent, was without its three best players.

Teams like that don't deserve to play finals.