• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

http://www.heraldsun...t-1226488220436

feeling confident again

Basically saying they rate him between 2-6 or 7

Meaning his a 1 in 5 chance or so of being bidded for.

Media are probably hounding GC about this also, though I think that they will be sensible and pass.

They will want pick #2 to allow for flexibility in trading period also. What if they are able to trade in some more mids and run dry on ruck for example. They will lose the flexibility to go and draft Grundy instead of a mid ect

Olisik I appreciate you are a keen fan and like to help everyone out with possible scenarios but seriously

do yourself a favour and stay away from everything until the trade period is over you will do yourself no amount of good changing your view with every media announcement

• Like 1

If anyone thinks that they will bid for him just to spite us, then please tell me why a club would be willing

to risk making a bad decision just for the sake of a childish gesture.

it would only be if they were genuinely 100% sure we will not pass on him at 3. They are probably at 99% which is hopefully enough not to do it.

I don't see what the issue is. Tom Scully is not worth pick 4 or 13, so we got overs. Now we probably have to pay overs for Viney.

Let me put it this way, what would you rather:

Scenario A: Pick 3, Tom Scully & Pick 24 (P24 because our compo picks wouldn't exist)

OR.

Scenario B: Viney, Pick 4, Pick 13 & pick 26

Don't get me wrong would love for GWS & GC to pass, but in the grand scheme of things I think we are doing ok.

mate who the hell cares what the Scully situation is/was it has nothing to do with it

in any case, it's a bit rough to suggest we are doing OK with our previous top5 draft picks in McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Trengove and Scully. Shocking return so far.

mate who the hell cares what the Scully situation is/was it has nothing to do with it

in any case, it's a bit rough to suggest we are doing OK with our previous top5 draft picks in McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Trengove and Scully. Shocking return so far.

So you have done a '540' on Watts I see...

If you come around again, you might get dizzy...

So you have done a '540' on Watts I see...

If you come around again, you might get dizzy...

nah he's going OK as is Trenners - but they are not doing pick 1/2 value. The rest are fails

and BTW I have the right to change my mind as many times as I want based on GUESS WHAT how the players actually improve or decline over time. Crazy huh? I do the same thing with investing money, I don't just back a horse and stick with it no matter what, without re-asssessing its performance, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to do that yeah?

Edited by Curry & Beer

Let's put a little perspective into all of this... Tim Harrington's number one priority is to act in the best interests of the MFC. Picking up Viney with pick 26 (or whatever our 2nd round pick ends up being) is by far and away one of his main priorities. In order to do that, the perception needs to be that we will overlook Viney with pick 3. We have to be strong in our public convictions to give ourselves every chance to make this happen.

If Gold Coast nominate Jack with their pick 2, the scenario clearly changes. It is then in our best interests to secure Jack with the #3 pick. Plain and simple. He means more to us from a cultural, membership, marketing, sales, future F/S perspective than picking up a Toumpas or O'Rourke (no disrespect intended to those boys..).

It has been a long time coming, but I will sit/stand proudly as a passionate MFC member when GC nominate Jack with pick 2 and we come over the top and claim him as our own. GO DEES!!!!

this is the perfect way to think about it, i would be [censored] if we didnt take him and many people would reconsider there membership

I don't see what the issue is. Tom Scully is not worth pick 4 or 13, so we got overs. Now we probably have to pay overs for Viney.

Scenario A: Pick 3, Tom Scully & Pick 24 (P24 because our compo picks wouldn't exist)

OR.

Don't get me wrong would love for GWS & GC to pass, but in the grand scheme of things I think we are doing ok.

the attitude 'doing ok' doesnt win premierships. what ever happens , the attitude needs to be of doing absolutely whatever it takes to bleed every last drop out of every opportunity. to say , 'oh well, we did well with the compos anyway so this balances it out,' is not a winning attitude.

Haha where did I suggest our past recruiting has been ok? I'm saying the situation that we have found in this draft isn't as bad as people like you keep saying!

If GC bid on Viney it is because they want him, which means another club, another full recruiting department, rates him at pick 2, in which case we get him at 3. They will not bid on him based on chance or spite, that's just bad management.

OR.

The issue is we are sh#t and need everything we can get to not be sh#t

• Like 1

Olisik I appreciate you are a keen fan and like to help everyone out with possible scenarios but seriously

do yourself a favour and stay away from everything until the trade period is over you will do yourself no amount of good changing your view with every media announcement

How is feeling confident changing my view on anything?

How about you do yourself a favor and not quote me with irrelevant posts that have nothing to do with the Viney situation

The point that I feel some people aren't getting is that Jack Viney is a ready-made plug-in-and-play midfielder. More so than Gibbs and Trengove who were playing SANFL.

Which means that he is what recruiters dream about.

The most bread & butter decision the MFC recruiting team will ever have to make will be reading out his name, whatever pick it is.

Edited by Geddy Lee
  • Like 2

I don't see what the issue is.

Lol - are you a lawyer?

you can jazz it up all you like - whatever gets you thru the night and all that..

But the reality is we get 3 guns -OR- 2 guns.. thats the bottom line..

i'll take 3 thanks.

this is the perfect way to think about it, i would be [censored] if we didnt take him and many people would reconsider there membership

this is the perfect way to think about it, i would be [censored] if we didnt take Toumpas at Pick 2 (if GCS are dumb enough to offer it) and many people would reconsider their membership..

The thing that actually bothers me, is that its not Neelds decision!

For some reason i would be much happier with him making the final call.. (take JV at 3 or not) ..and would be happy to back that, whatever the decision was.

Anyone know when Viney can start training at MFC if we take him?

Can he start with the rest of the boys or does he need to wait until after the ND to be on par with the rest of the new recruits.

Any restrictions in place?

Edited by olisik

The point that I feel some people aren't getting is that Jack Viney is a ready-made plug-in-and-play midfielder. More so than Gibbs and Trengove who were playing SANFL.

Which means that he is what recruiters dream about.

The most bread & butter decision the MFC recruiting team will ever have to make will be reading out his name, whatever pick it is.

But faced with the possibility of securing 4 first round picks instead of just 3... this is the crux of the matter.

Bottom line is if the MFC didn't suck so badly in 2012, our picks would have been maybe 7 and 8 or something like that. We would have laughed at being able to land Viney with such a pick, and then have another one on hand to use immediately afterward.

OR.

The reaction to this post has been a bit negative. I suspect FM agrees with those who want us to maximise the outcome of this process. But it's quite reasonable to point out that as things have turned out with $cully, there is an upside even if we can't manage to pull off the ultimate coup.

• Like 1

But faced with the possibility of securing 4 first round picks instead of just 3... this is the crux of the matter.

Bottom line is if the MFC didn't suck so badly in 2012, our picks would have been maybe 7 and 8 or something like that. We would have laughed at being able to land Viney with such a pick, and then have another one on hand to use immediately afterward.

Why? It's out of our hands, no matter how many transparent PR 'smoke screens' we try to play. Do you think anything we tell GC will truly influence their decision on Monday? They made up their minds a long time ago. FWIW, if I were them I would certainly bid for him with a first rounder and I'm sure they will.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned over the previous 30 pages but I read recently that the Bulldogs are rallying for Jack Martin, GWS under 17 pick, with their first round picks (5 & 6 I think ).

With these picks in GWS's hands ( 1, 5 & 6 ), it might be worth the risk for them to nominate Viney with their first pick.

With Viney rated somewhere in the 5-10 range, and the very likelihood that we will select him if forced to, this will provide them with a player who would not be there at 5 or 6 if we got Viney 2nd round.

By nominating him in this scenario they do run the risk of us passing on Viney and them missing out on players like Whitfield, Toumpas, Grundy or Wines, but at the same time it does provide them with some motivation to do so. Something GC doesn't really have.

For the record, I am firmly in the take him at 3 camp, but totally in favour of giving the opposition the impression otherwise.

This kids attitude alone makes him worth pick 3 and I don't want to see him running around in any other colours but ours.

Edited by TheVoice
  • Like 1

The reaction to this post has been a bit negative. I suspect FM agrees with those who want us to maximise the outcome of this process. But it's quite reasonable to point out that as things have turned out with $cully, there is an upside even if we can't manage to pull off the ultimate coup.

Thankyou Sue. My intention wasn't to fire anyone up, I was simply stating facts - albeit in a glass half full kind of way.

Lol - are you a lawyer?

you can jazz it up all you like - whatever gets you thru the night and all that..

But the reality is we get 3 guns -OR- 2 guns.. thats the bottom line..

i'll take 3 thanks.

this is the perfect way to think about it, i would be [censored] if we didnt take Toumpas at Pick 2 (if GCS are dumb enough to offer it) and many people would reconsider their membership..

The thing that actually bothers me, is that its not Neelds decision!

For some reason i would be much happier with him making the final call.. (take JV at 3 or not) ..and would be happy to back that, whatever the decision was.

No DD, I'm not a lawyer, I am an accountant ;)

Anyone know when Viney can start training at MFC if we take him?

Can he start with the rest of the boys or does he need to wait until after the ND to be on par with the rest of the new recruits.

Any restrictions in place?

He started training with the group last pre season so I don't see any problem with him starting with them again this year.

Thankyou Sue. My intention wasn't to fire anyone up, I was simply stating facts - albeit in a glass half full kind of way.

I agree with you, there are things you can control and things you can't, whether or not GWS or GC bid on him falls in to the latter.

If we get him at pick 20 something then I'll be over the moon if we can't then I'm happy to have him at pick 3 because I believe he will be the best player in the draft. Whitfield reminds me of that other "generational player" $cully and I'd hate to get to the end of next year watching Jack accept the Rising Star award in Gold Coast colours.

Jack and Oliver Wines tearing the opposition apart will make me forget the anguish of missing out on another Mid.

• Like 1

In quick succession that's now three public statements. All of which could be used as defence against any draft rigging accusations.

One from Jack, one from Suns recruiter and one from Todd

Has a deal been done?

Or am I getting neurotic and reading too much into it?

FFS bring on monday

• Like 1