Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Todd Viney was a wonderful servant of the MFC and the MFC supported Todd Viney through his wonderful career.........you'd reckon we deserve to get his son for a bargain!

No you wouldn't His son deserves to be paid what the market deems him to be worth

• Like 1

I guess the big question over the next couple of months for us, GWS and GC is will Melb blink and take Whitfield or Grundy at pick 3 if GWS or GC selected Viney with picks 1 or 2.

Sentiment aside, would we be getting a "better" player with either of these two players over Jack?

Do you mean Whitfield (possibly) or Grundy (No), or Toumpas (Yes), or Wines (Yes), or Stringer (Yes), or Mayes (Yes)...

Toumpas/Wines + Whitfield @ 3 & 4, IMO would be a great outcome.

We'll fight to have Viney back with us soon enough, if they take him.

I'd love it if Sheedy takes Jack Viney, so we can do a $cully, back at him...

• Like 1

Do you mean Whitfield (possibly) or Grundy (No), or Toumpas (Yes), or Wines (Yes), or Stringer (Yes), or Mayes (Yes)...

Toumpas/Wines + Whitfield @ 3 & 4, IMO would be a great outcome.

We'll fight to have Viney back with us soon enough, if they take him.

I'd love it if Sheedy takes Jack Viney, so we can do a $cully, back at him...

We would need to come last on the ladder to be able to do that. As it would mean Viney would need to enter the PSD with us having the first pick.

Yes it's a hard game thats for sure and you just never no how a kid will go once in the AFL enviroment.

However you can get a fair idea of how these kids should go but its never ever perfect.

The odds must be in our corner this year because we really have had a bad 5 years in the draft.

We must get this right and viney seems like a safe bet to me at pick 3 if we have to.

Fingers crossed for november.

We don't need more of Jones & Trenners & Grimes, we need more 'A' Class with some pace. Safe is OK at pick 13, or 23.

We need to try to get a Hit in the silk dept.

The Suns GWS already have players of the Ilk of Bennell, O'Meara, Patton, Ablett, etc, etsc, etc,,, we will be way behind them without the Class we need to compete against these guys when the grow.

We would need to come last on the ladder to be able to do that. As it would mean Viney would need to enter the PSD with us having the first pick.

Oh, you mean Whitfield? You've already heard then, thats he's already taken @ P1?

I haven't, & based on the ladder position & game form of the Suns, I think they'll want tough ready to go players before more pure class.

They have to get themselves off the bottom of the ladder next year or they'll be in troubleland over there. As will the Giants.

So I have a feeling that they could go for Toumpas/Wines or Viney, even ahead of Whitfield & Grundy.

I wouldn't take Grundy at pick 3 or 4 as he doesn't give us what we desperately need now.

We need Class & gut runners more than in/unders. We are OK re the rucks atmo. We need much support skirting & weaving thru the packs.

#Edit: I'm pretty sure Viney can't enter the Pre Season draft having not been drafted previously.

Edited by dee-luded

Just priority draft him WHATEVER IT TAKES !. Judging by the 100k+ hits on this topic if the club is too clever by half in its machinations and some other club snaps him up , the blow to supporters' morale would be devastating.

• Like 1

cmon ppl....have to better than this to get 100 p by EOS !!

cmon ppl....have to better than this to get 100 p by EOS !!

Don't worry BB, he'll be tagged when he inevitably plays in the TAC Cup, as well as at Casey, and the usual suspects will emerge bemoaning "What a spud!"; "Can't believe we're interested in this kid!"; "The sky is falling!"

Let's just hope the club plays their cards very close to their chest, and put every bit of doubt possible in GWS and GC heads that we are willing to call their bluff, even if we have all intentions of grabbing him regardless.

That's exactly what is happening. I hope GC and GWS scare as easily as most posters around here.

Guest KingDingAling

GWS and GC have already stated they will bid, so I dont know why people keep going on about it.

In an interview I seen on Silvani the other night, he was asked about Viney and he speaks very very highly of him.

GWS and GC have already stated they will bid, so I dont know why people keep going on about it.

In an interview I seen on Silvani the other night, he was asked about Viney and he speaks very very highly of him.

Have they?

I know the Herald Sun inferred that they would???? But as to whether or not GWS/GC have actually stated they would....... I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Just because anyone says or infers anything means didly. its all talk and such. No one is held to anything . Any club can do what it likes on the day and Thats the only time anything out of a club official is actually accountable .

Until then believe nothing.Its all a game within a game

• Like 1

Both GWS are GC are going to bid. I would expect MFC to do the same in there position. We played our hand 2 years ago by signing him to an 'agreement', I'm sure the MFC thought we would be higher on he ladder then we are now and its a shame that we are not and I like the game we are trying to play but seriously who ever thinks we are not taking Vineyard with out first pick is just dreaming.

If it makes you feel any better you can say we selected him with pick 4 cause we will pick who we wanted straight after Jack anyways. If Jack is rated at 5 - 9 and we get him at '4' there is no point getting you knickers in a knot, I mean everyone half way through his first VFL game were up in raptures about how good he's going to be....

Wouldn't be surprised if jack is in No. 12 next year ;)

Source, or are you speculating ?

you know, I know...everyone knows jack sh!t...its all supposition and guesswork.

About the only given ( or 99% there-of ) is we will take Jack Viney at some point in the draft

Would love the dees to play hardball and have vineyard not nominate this year, play at Casey and train with our main group and then sign on for 2014 where we use our first round pick ( 7-10ish ) to pick him up as father son. That way gas can have Whitfield, suns can have Grundy and we can have wines and stringer at 4/5.

Somewhat convoluted however it would tick a lot of boxes and more importantly tick off sheedy who continues to carry a grudge because we appointed bailey ahead of him

OK, here's one right out of left field

What if we didn't nominate JV as a FS and tried to draft him with the no.12 compo pick?

Would depend on where JV is rated by the 'experts' come Draft time and assuming he is not rated top 10

Would the other 9 clubs want to take the risk on JV?

Can we leave the option of nominating him for FS until the last minute?

Discuss

What if we didn't nominate JV as a FS and tried to draft him with the no.12 compo pick?

Would depend on where JV is rated by the 'experts' come Draft time and assuming he is not rated top 10

Discuss

I think we should get him tanked a couple of times, start the rumour that he hit a bouncer at a night club, say his broken jaw has depressed him and changed his personality.

He now disobeys his Mother and father and generally is of low moral fibre.

Then swoop when everyone passes on him.

Well it worked with Darling!

Jokes aside DC just use whatever it takes if that is pick three then secure him

Edited by old dee

Discuss

We took him F/S 2 years ago

Discuss

I can see what you are getting at, but I would expect that the agreement that Melb and Essendon signed last year would have stipulated that both clubs intended or will nominate these players as father/son selections. Otherwise what is to stop every club agreeing to get potential f/s options at the club early and train them with your squads, etc...

That aside, I can't see him lasting to pick 12.

Interesting notion though.

Discuss

F/S must be nominated Oct 5 with resolution/meeting just before trade period (Oct 8-26). Nat Draft Nov 22.

So, No.