Who would you hand the captaincy to?

Striker475

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a hypothetical since I know a number on here don't like Green as captain, and regardless all can see that he has been...'lacklustre', for want of a better term. Assume someone has to take the mantle for either him conceding the role or somesuch.

Edited by Striker475

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hypothetical since I know a number on here don't like Green as captain, and regardless all can see that he has been...'lacklustre', for want of a better term.

I think this is unhelpful. We have a captain. It's not an open position.

Support your captain.... as you would want him to support his players and be supported by his coaches.

I think this is unhelpful. We have a captain. It's not an open position.

Support your captain.... as you would want him to support his players and be supported by his coaches.

I do support him. But there's a lot of non-support out there for him and it's always interesting to hear opinion on the issue.

I think this is a reasonable question. Jamar for mine in the short term (2 years), then I believe Trengove is the most natural leader on our list. He absolutely has a crack every week, he is articulate and presents exceptionally well to the media, even when under immense pressure ( just look at his efforts last week!) and clearly has the respect of his team mates. He would be 21-22 in a couple of years and I don't think that is too early assuming his career trajectory continues on its present path.

I do support him. But there's a lot of non-support out there for him and it's always interesting to hear opinion on the issue.

I would tie his future to Bailey's.

If he goes, so does the LG.

As for who will replace him in 2012. Let the kids decide amongst themselves.

Throw a blanket over Jamar, Beamer, or Chip Frawley. They all consistently have had a crack this year.

Jack Trengove is showing leadership qualities already, and could well be ready in 2 years...Number 9 is good for him.

Jack Trengove for mine has shown more than many. I'd be all for voting for a young captain, we're a youngish team and I think he far supersedes Davey, Scully, Rivers and Jones in terms of Leadership qualities.

NB. Obviously i cannot see the work they do within the club but that would be my vote.

Would definitely have been Moloney for me at the start of the season, but now probably Trenners - the guy has it all. Extremely happy that those rumours of us drafting Scully and Butcher didn't eventuate.

Guest Rajon Rondo

Jack Grimes for his 8 games a year avg?

Aaron Davey for a worse output than Green and no where near the career of Brad.

Tom Scully? No

Brent Moloney just lost the VC.

Rivers would get a thread of this nature within the first 4 weeks, not 7.

Nathan Jones. Not good enough for a skipper. Tries hard.

Chip Frawley. Isn't an AA CHB enough for now, let him play.

Just leave Brad Green sort through this issue, back the skipper to pull out of the funk of form he currently finds himself in.

We already made an error showing the door to one skipper and now (hypothetically or otherwise) these threads are popping up.

Jack Grimes for his 8 games a year avg?

Aaron Davey for a worse output than Green and no where near the career of Brad.

Tom Scully? No

Brent Moloney just lost the VC.

Rivers would get a thread of this nature within the first 4 weeks, not 7.

Nathan Jones. Not good enough for a skipper. Tries hard.

Chip Frawley. Isn't an AA CHB enough for now, let him play.

Just leave Brad Green sort through this issue, back the skipper to pull out of the funk of form he currently finds himself in.

We already made an error showing the door to one skipper and now (hypothetically or otherwise) these threads are popping up.

The selection is the leadership group, plus Frawley and Scull. Probably should have put Trenners in there too in hindsight.

I was massively in the Brad Green camp in this debate. I felt that he had shown his credentials both on and off the field and would make a great captain. However, he seems to be really struggling with the added pressure. Obviously you need to give the guy time to adjust, so I won't be jumping on the "Sack Green" bandwagon, but he needs to settle down and get his game back into shape. If he were to resign the role, I would be saying Moloney. He has taken his clearance work up a notch this year, and is already a great leader around the club, plus his passion on gameday is a huge bonus.

Guest Thomo

Green was a clear standout to be appointed captain - best player in the team, most experienced, won club leadership award. I'll give him more than six games before the axe swings.

How about the Grant Thomas rotating skippers theory. Start with Grimes, then Trengove, then Scully over the next few years. Is it crazy, or is it a way of achieving something instead of picking another sub par captain.

How about the Grant Thomas rotating skippers theory. Start with Grimes, then Trengove, then Scully over the next few years. Is it crazy, or is it a way of achieving something instead of picking another sub par captain.

crazy tbh. didn't really work.

Every available choice seems to be less than adequate. For now I'd take Moloney. I'd love to see Tapscott as Captain one day. If not then Trengove. Grimes not sure unless he can clean up his game of clangers. Tapscott with 50 games under his belt I'd give him the job then and there. Reminds me of a young Brereton. Who says you need 100 or 200 games to do the job?

Edited by america de cali

I would be astonished if we made a captain change before the end of the season especially when we could have a new coach

A new coach IMO would want some say in the selection of such an important position

Even if Bailey is retained he will at least be able to learn more about the leadership qualities of his players

Brent Moloney

Unfortunately i think he burnt his chance with his indiscretion but he has that valuable team inspiring aura about him

Aaron Davey

Not a natural leader and has the tendency to lose the plot

Jack Grimes

Very much a leader and would be in the mix and would be the leading candidate if the club went for a younger captain

James Frawley

I find it hard to select a player who plays his football at the book ends part of the ground

IMO you need to be involved as much as possible irrespective of where the ball is

Nathan Jones

Unsure about his leadership qualities but being a Midfielder helps

Really inspires others on the field but think we have a better option with Moloney

Jared Rivers

Not always the team player which is a major part of the job and nor a natural leader on game day

He is similar to Davey and i think we have better candidates

Still think Davey is an important part of the leadership group though

Tom Scully

He hasn't committed to club so how can you even consider him

Another option

Well the obvious one you have missed is Jack Trengove

Really like the look of this guys attitude and on field demonstrated ability

Would be in the mix with Grimes one year down the track

I am still of the belief we got rid of the best choice as captain for our current moment in Junior

Our current captain is Green and i really feel the job is affecting his football

We need to get this captain position right in 2012 as it will go along way to the success of this group

If it was up to me i would pick Grimes although Trengove is certainly gaining in the eyes of this poster

Grimes latest injury is starting to be a bit of a worry and the FD might also think that having an injury prone player may effect his chance

of being a Captain

The last thing we want is a Captain sitting in the stands

It's a good thing that the club isn't run as an internet based democracy. God help us all if some of the nutty stuff that I've joined in the call for over the years had gotten up :o

It's a good thing that the club isn't run as an internet based democracy. God help us all if some of the nutty stuff that I've joined in the call for over the years had gotten up :o

Well we'd have invested in a cloning program for Jimma by now...

Surprised Jamar's name doesn't get mentioned more in this conversation. I know he's not in the leadership group, but from my spot in the cheap seats he's one guy who busts his ar$e every minute he's on the field and he bleeds red and blue.

Moloney/Davey - Surely you wouldn't consider jeapordising the possibility of good form for the rest of the season with the added pressure of captaincy

Frawley - Plays too far back

Grimes - Too injured

Rivers - loses it a little bit too easily for captain material

Green - His performances are too important for team success. Give him less pressure.

Trengove - Too young, despite showing leadership qualities.

Jones is my pick. His form isn't based on performance as much as the others. The pressure of captaincy can cause players to try a little too hard amd it inevitably has the opposite result.

Jonesy's value is in his 'lead by example' quality of no nonsense, non fancy, constant, tough courage. You can be having an off day but if you keep putting in 100% effort things can change.

Argue or laugh if you will but I really think you can rule out players that are considered to be our most talented or experienced.

If your top players (Moloney, Green, Davey) are tagged and cut out of a game, their captaincy takes a back seat and they get a little self focussed (for the team's benefit of course) but who's rallying the troops then?

Look at the teams that are well lead

Collingwood (Maxwell) - best player? Hell no.

Geelong (Ling) - performance vital for team success? No.

Judd at Carlton is an exception but c'mon, the guy's a freak.

Let the key players focus on their own games, and let a blue collar tough nut lead the troops into battle.