'Scully talks'

Samsara

I have said this before on this sight, I dont even think GWS is even interested in Scully. Just my opinion nothing else. Take a look at GWS that is the suns 12 months ago, the suns went for mature big bodied players. Lets be honest here Scully AT PRESENT is an inexperienced, lightweight, midfielder.

He is good dont get me wrong, ha IS good, but he has to develop his body a tad more. They have lightweight mids by the bucketload, they dont need anymore. Silvia is the one from MFC I would be chasing. What the VFL taught the suns last year was the need of some big bodies. Millar kicked double figures on the suns, MILLAR they couldnt handle the strong body.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Artie Bucco

The thought has crossed my mind.

Stir up a frenzy of rumours about Scully as a smokescreen whilst they really target a bloke like Morton.

Since last year I've thought it much more likely that we'd lose Morton or Bate.

Pendelbury is about to sign a new deal with Collingwood.

*Cue panic*

Many of us arent panicking...but are bemused...that some can.. and.some dont.

Theyre all in the same comp...same factors applying...differing outcomes..:rolleyes:

Pendlebury has signed for one year. ONE YEAR. If Scully was to do the same it would end the hand-wringing for about a minute.

The fact is, there are a number of players across the comp who are playing a "wait and see" game in light of the fluid negotiating landscape. As Artie mentioned, Scully has the added incentive to delay because his market value is only likely to improve once he gets some game time.

The club is not in a position to force negotiations on players when it is not in the player's best interests to do so, in much the same way as the players can't force the club. For example, we were happy to give Jamar a one year contract a couple of years ago because it was in our interests - that was our "wait and see approach". Nobody was in a lather about how unfair that was for Jamar. Scully is doing the same thing but in reverse.

Whether or not supporters think that its right or that he should be showing more loyalty by signing on now is irrelevant. If I was in his position I would be doing exactly the same thing.

Pendlebury has signed for one year. ONE YEAR. If Scully was to do the same it would end the hand-wringing for about a minute.

The fact is, there are a number of players across the comp who are playing a "wait and see" game in light of the fluid negotiating landscape. As Artie mentioned, Scully has the added incentive to delay because his market value is only likely to improve once he gets some game time.

The club is not in a position to force negotiations on players when it is not in the player's best interests to do so, in much the same way as the players can't force the club. For example, we were happy to give Jamar a one year contract a couple of years ago because it was in our interests - that was our "wait and see approach". Nobody was in a lather about how unfair that was for Jamar. Scully is doing the same thing but in reverse.

Whether or not supporters think that its right or that he should be showing more loyalty by signing on now is irrelevant. If I was in his position I would be doing exactly the same thing.

good post

Many of us arent panicking...but are bemused...that some can.. and.some dont.

Theyre all in the same comp...same factors applying...differing outcomes..:rolleyes:

So by that "logic" Jack Watts', James McDonald's and Daniel Bell's contract negotiations would all have taken the same form and had the same outcome last year?

Wouldn't surprise me if Scully inks a 1-year deal for the same (assumed) purposes of Pendlbury. Makes a lot more sense really. Gives him another year to consider how he feels about playing for this club (if we don't improve next year, not a good sign) and it also gives him more games to increase his worth should he decide to leave.

So by that "logic" Jack Watts', James McDonald's and Daniel Bell's contract negotiations would all have taken the same form and had the same outcome last year?

thats a very below par stretch for you old. Not same at all. and you fully well know it.

The comparison ought to be the here and now.. with the relevent external factors etc

The ribbing's fine though :)

I think the Pendles signing for one year ( impending signing ?) gives our forum members insight that the Scully negotiations and strategy is not unique and all clubs ( even the all powerful Collingwood) suffer exactly the same problems as we do.

It is surely not in Collingwoods interest to favour a one year extension to Pendlebury's contract - I would suggest the conclusion you would draw is that Pendlebury wants to go back to the negotiation table next year with GWS still on the radar and free agency commencing giving him even more bargaining power. Smart move by him. He has not committed to being a Magpie for life. He is a professional footballer and I would think he wants to stay at Collingwood but on his terms.

I would expect same minded posters on here would be present on the Collingwood boards screaming "commit or play elsewhere - you either want to be a magpie or you don't. Players shouldn't hold us to ransom" - yet what has Collingwood done - realised that Pendlebury is a wanted commodity ( as is Scully) and agreed to his terms and marched to the beat of his drum.

So as posted previously - demand and supply - as a footballer, if you are wanted commodity you get to call the shots in your negotiations. If you are Simon Godfrey you take what is on offer.

Golly.. using a one year extension with 'heavy" sweetening as a prelude to full renogiating.. and escaping GWS clutches... wow...thats Einsteinian surely !!! lol

Canr help thinking ive seen that idea somewhere before :rolleyes:

Yousee what this says is.. Pendles wants to remain a Pie...burt wants his slice of it too

All easily done... and again I ask why a certain other young man doesnt display the same sense of staying-put with his club ?

quack....quack !! :huh:

thats a very below par stretch for you old. Not same at all. and you fully well know it.

The comparison ought to be the here and now.. with the relevent external factors etc

The ribbing's fine though :)

OK - at Collingwood you've got 3 different scenarios right now:

1. Dane Swan: signed out of GWS reach

2. Scott Pendlebury: signed one-year extension, still in GWS reach

3. Dale Thomas: not signed, still in GWS reach

How is that a pointer to a definitive result for any of our players including Tom Scully? There's uncertainty even at Collingwood - the richest club with the brightest current prospects for success.

The obvious difference in all of this with Collingwood is their players were happy to come to the table now. In so doing it ends any speclaltion ( for this year ) . Quite different I would have thought.

Pendlebury has signed for one year, so he's still well within the reach of GWS. If he was that committed to Collingwood then he'd sign for 2 years and get out of their reach.

My guess is that he's going to stay at Collingwood for a year while they are going to have a high likelihood of success and then head up to GWS for the cash a year later.

OK - at Collingwood you've got 3 different scenarios right now:

1. Dane Swan: signed out of GWS reach

2. Scott Pendlebury: signed one-year extension, still in GWS reach

3. Dale Thomas: not signed, still in GWS reach

How is that a pointer to a definitive result for any of our players including Tom Scully? There's uncertainty even at Collingwood - the richest club with the brightest current prospects for success.

Pendlebury signing for one year (no doubt for v.good coin) being a childhood demon fan is just saying "I think I'll grab another premiership here and then join the Dee's as they start to enter their premiership window"

My guess is that he's going to stay at Collingwood for a year while they are going to have a high likelihood of success and then head up to GWS for the cash a year later.

That's probably an extreme conclusion, but the way Pendlebury has signed doesn't send a great message does it? I guess Collingwood's culture must stink too.

Now...this is just a hypothetical...I do preface the following with that qualification.

Could there be anything to support the notion that instead of chasing Scully ( over a cliff) we actually take the compensation ( picks ) and the money saved and put that towards securing other emerging stars and future funding those that are imminent such as Viney , etc ?

Or will we really have enough in the kitty and under the cap to retain all we want to anyway ? This sort of pressure is felt amongst some clubs...are we immune ?

Might I politely ask some to engage brains before shoving the boot in :lol:

Despite what some may think is my stance..Id rather that he stay. But if it were to become all too hard....or all too ..just not equitable , nor fair to others..then this might be a plan B approach ... emphasis...MIGHT

thoughts ?

Pendlebury has signed for one year, so he's still well within the reach of GWS. If he was that committed to Collingwood then he'd sign for 2 years and get out of their reach.

If the one year signing is confirmed as just that, they're my exact thoughts.

If the one year signing is confirmed as just that, they're my exact thoughts.

I have no angst in TS waiting until the end of the season to negotiate.

It would leave a very bad taste in my mouth if he signed for one year. It is an ugly message. If TS leaves it will be for one reason - $. If he stays it will be for a plethora of reasons that make up the difference between the extra money he would receive if he left. But when he is ready, I would like a firm commitment 2-3 years. One year contract by Pendlebury says - I want it all this year - and my options open to get it all next year too.

.. as a triple premiership player.

Who here would rather hear that Tom Scully signed a one-year extension with us than that he is waiting until the end of the year to sign any contract?

Edited by old55