Back to my deep despair

bush demon

When i started barracking we were the '64 premiers. the channel two screen said, 'final scores 8.14 to 8.10' or something close to that. our family suddenly went to england and a year later in australia our team was pathetic, losing round one in 1966 to stkilda. we have been pathetic ever since. all through school years i somehow imagined a renaissance. dillon, parke then onto alves, wells, flower, then to healey. into the eighties and a seeming miracle with john northey. then to another seeming miracle in david schwartz in the 90's. then robbed disgustingly by a corrupted finals system in 1998 which saw eventual premiers adelaide overtake us in 1998. then at the rosstown pub carnegie in 2000 with face paint and one russell roberston mark in the third quarter. then travis johnstone and middling muddling 2000's. never have i been so affected by a demon loss as thursday night, not even the '87 preliminary final. at least in that game we gave a damn and belted hawthorn but couldn't put on scoreboard pressure eventually wilting. simon eishold i forgive you are a hero at least you took a big grab near the siren and could have got us into a premiership play-off v a toffy carlton. then thursday night when the players ran round some west australian football ground so bogged down with their pay cheques and counter meals they could barely get within the breath of last year's wooden spooners.

When i started barracking we were the '64 premiers. the channel two screen said, 'final scores 8.14 to 8.10' or something close to that. our family suddenly went to england and a year later in australia our team was pathetic, losing round one in 1966 to stkilda. we have been pathetic ever since. all through school years i somehow imagined a renaissance. dillon, parke then onto alves, wells, flower, then to healey. into the eighties and a seeming miracle with john northey. then to another seeming miracle in david schwartz in the 90's. then robbed disgustingly by a corrupted finals system in 1998 which saw eventual premiers adelaide overtake us in 1998. then at the rosstown pub carnegie in 2000 with face paint and one russell roberston mark in the third quarter. then travis johnstone and middling muddling 2000's. never have i been so affected by a demon loss as thursday night, not even the '87 preliminary final. at least in that game we gave a damn and belted hawthorn but couldn't put on scoreboard pressure eventually wilting. simon eishold i forgive you are a hero at least you took a big grab near the siren and could have got us into a premiership play-off v a toffy carlton. then thursday night when the players ran round some west australian football ground so bogged down with their pay cheques and counter meals they could barely get within the breath of last year's wooden spooners.

I felt the same way Bushy....i think thursday is the worst game i can remember 22 inside 50's to 3 in the first Quarter.

You are not alone mate, it certainly woke up a lot of quiet supporters, so i consider it a positive in the long term.

On Thursday night we "Officially Bottomed Out"....after 47 years.

On Thursday night we "Officially Bottomed Out"....after 47 years.

You'd think losing to Fitzroy by 190 points would just slightly have topped Thursday night for low moments of the last 47 years.

At least they won the next week...

You'd think losing to Fitzroy by 190 points would just slightly have topped Thursday night for low moments of the last 47 years.

Indeed. Even those with long memories still have short ones when it suits them.

This the worst I've ever ever ever felt! Since like, last week!

C'mon lads. This loss sucked - big time - but I've felt worse footy related pain in the last three years alone. You can't tell me this feels worse than the consecutive 100 point drubbings in 2008, for example. If this is the worst you've felt in 47 (or whatever) years then you're blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Great post I have also been a 50 year plus supporter and agree that our "effort" was right up there with the lowlights of that period.

What topped it off for me was Bailey's understatement of the century that we lacked "intensity". At least Matt Primus had the good grace and honesty to apologise for his side's showing.

Indeed. Even those with long memories still have short ones when it suits them.

This the worst I've ever ever ever felt! Since like, last week!

C'mon lads. This loss sucked - big time - but I've felt worse footy related pain in the last three years alone. You can't tell me this feels worse than the consecutive 100 point drubbings in 2008, for example. If this is the worst you've felt in 47 (or whatever) years then you're blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Nasher I was not expecting much better in 2008.

This year I thought that we were improving but thursday's game tells me that in spite of all the changes and hype we have come very little distance since 2008.

The balance of 2011 looks like "another Melbourne Year" to me.

Lots of hype and expectation and a few wins with the chance of finals football gone by the end of may.

Sorry to be so negative but we have seen it too many time in the past.

History has a habit of repeating itself at the MFC

Nasher I was not expecting much better in 2008.

This year I thought that we were improving but thursday's game tells me that in spite of all the changes and hype we have come very little distance since 2008.

The balance of 2011 looks like "another Melbourne Year" to me.

Lots of hype and expectation and a few wins with the chance of finals football gone by the end of may.

Sorry to be so negative but we have seen it too many time in the past.

History has a habit of repeating itself at the MFC

agree

Great post I have also been a 50 year plus supporter and agree that our "effort" was right up there with the lowlights of that period.

What topped it off for me was Bailey's understatement of the century that we lacked "intensity". At least Matt Primus had the good grace and honesty to apologise for his side's showing.

Me too BBo hell it has been a long sad journey journey with only a few good seasons in 50.

Wish I had the balls to walk away but I am here till the bitter end come hell ot high water.

I had forgotten how bad that was and I was there as well.

Yes i was there that day super, but we were not 4 years into a proper rebuild that year. In 1979 we were just plain lousy. Recovering still from the Denis Jones era!

I was at the Standard in Fitzroy last night trying to escape football thoughts . . . .

They have a huge framed poster on the wall commemorating that match, with pictures of the scoreboard and all of Fitzroy's players.

I could only laugh.

I was at the Standard in Fitzroy last night trying to escape football thoughts . . . .

They have a huge framed poster on the wall commemorating that match, with pictures of the scoreboard and all of Fitzroy's players.

I could only laugh.

is that record under threat today? Ess 11.3-69 GC 0.1-1 and not even quarter time yet

I was at that game. Wow we have been bad. The scary thing is sooner or later we're going to meet a really switched on club and get belted for 4 quarters. it'll make thurs seem like a picnic. There's a 100 point belting heading our way, make no mistake about that. Next week we;ll see the likes of Sylvia, Davey, Green and Moloney bluster around for a quarter or 2 before it all gets too hard and they'll leave it to the likes of Trengove, Grimes, Garland and Gysberts to fly a flag. heavens to betsy if we unfurl that flag next week I'm going yell some obscenities.

The punches are harder to roll with as you get older.

I am 55 and grew up in an essendon household. Strangely all 6 kids had different teams then.

Most ended up following the dons and one Hawthorn. I stuck staunchly with the dees. Mcc menber since 1977, played footy on sunday and went to see the dees play. Top deck out in the sun next to the bar. In the eighties we won more often and there was always Robbie to watch.

Then on the steps in front of the Bull ring in the 90's we got competative, down the end where my mates could smoke.

There was always light at the end of the tunnel.

MCC/MFC member, I thought there always enough time if youre good enough.

Now with kids who dont really feel the need to to the footy, Im getting sucker punched yet again. People think Im getting grumpy as I get older. Im looking for clues...

My carlton and essendon mates are sure they will win a flag within a couple of years as they dont have to wait more than 7. I saw the lifelong relief that Swans supporters felt when Roos said 'here it is".

I try not think that I will never see it. I dont want bailey to go, but I want success. It is disspiriting to see long term supporters of the Stynes/Bailey era wanting the axe to fall.

Edited by Franky_31

There,s a big difference between loseing to Fitzory by 190 points "Oh i remember it well" knowing we were s--t and Thursday night believing we were going to show the football world how far we had come.

I can forgive them but they owe us big time.

At least we won the next week after the Fitzroy game..

We didn't just win the week after that defeat, we gave Essendon a flogging.

One of our posters was the team manager to Carl Ditterich in 1979 and I think it's time to do a feature article on Demonland about those two games.

We didn't just win the week after that defeat, we gave Essendon a flogging.

One of our posters was the team manager to Carl Ditterich in 1979 and I think it's time to do a feature article on Demonland about those two games.

I happened to read the newspaper report about that game the other day. Suffice to say Essendon were left in some sort of shock.

http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/Round+18+1979

The punches are harder to roll with as you get older.

I am 55 and grew up in an essendon household. Strangely all 6 kids had different teams then.

Most ended up following the dons and one Hawthorn. I stuck staunchly with the dees. Mcc menber since 1977, played footy on sunday and went to see the dees play. Top deck out in the sun next to the bar. In the eighties we won more often and there was always Robbie to watch.

Then on the steps in front of the Bull ring in the 90's we got competative, down the end where my mates could smoke.

There was always light at the end of the tunnel.

MCC/MFC member, I thought there always enough time if youre good enough.

Now with kids who dont really feel the need to to the footy, Im getting sucker punched yet again. People think Im getting grumpy as I get older. Im looking for clues...

My carlton and essendon mates are sure they will win a flag within a couple of years as they dont have to wait more than 7. I saw the lifelong relief that Swans supporters felt when Roos said 'here it is".

I try not think that I will never see it. I dont want bailey to go, but I want success. It is disspiriting to see long term supporters of the Stynes/Bailey era wanting the axe to fall.

Yep