What do we do with Morton?

titan_uranus

He didn't look anywhere near deserving of a spot in the 22 today, and that I reckon comes down to a lack of match practice. He seemed to have lost his touch.

I don't think we can play him as the sub again next week, and he certainly doesn't deserve to be in the starting 21, so I think the best thing for him and the team is a run with Casey, which is what he should have had this week.

What do others think?

Agree entirely. I was going to start a thread on this also.

The sub is meant to come on and have an impact due to being fresh compared the others out there. Morton was able to actually look slower than most after coming on.

I think 4 quarters at Casey will do him some good, he needs some touch and a full game to get some match fitness.

You can't make any conclusions from the 15 minute cameo performance today.

He'll play a full game next week and then we can reassess. Bailey was giving him plenty of instructions though.

Players take a few games to get their touch back. Chippa was pretty ordinary in the first quarter today but then found his gear and was brilliant to watch again.

Looked a bit lost out there but I reckon we underestimate how hard it is to come in and perform.

Not everyone is going to do what Petterd did in Rd 1,

That's why the sub must be an experienced player..Morton was cold & stale.

He needs to find touch, not retard the team.

He'll play a full game next week and then we can reassess. Bailey was giving him plenty of instructions though.

Players take a few games to get their touch back. Chippa was pretty ordinary in the first quarter today but then found his gear and was brilliant to watch again.

Difference though is that Frawley is proven star and is integral to our team.

Morton is neither.

I don't think he's deserving of a full game next week. I think he'd be better served playing a full game at Casey instead.

The sub is meant to come on and have an impact due to being fresh compared the others out there. Morton was able to actually look slower than most after coming on.

I think 4 quarters at Casey will do him some good, he needs some touch and a full game to get some match fitness.

Ox I would be surprised if he did not play next week.

The guy has had no match practise.

Then play him at Casey during the bye.

He has ability and from all reports there was no one at Casey this week that will be pushing for selection

His return was modest in the last quarter however I think it was more than the guy he replaced did in 3 quarters.

Thats the guy he replaces and about time too.

Couldn't agree more on this post. He just needs time for touch...

I was going to raise this also. He was pretty bad last week in his first hitout. This week he dropped an uncontested (although difficult) mark to give them a goal early on. Be the end he was busting tackles and running the ball out. His kicking is still off though.

I think we can give Morton the benefit of the doubt here. He showed me a couple of good things amidst the dross. Personally I would have liked to see him play in the forward line to stretch their defence a little.

He didn't look anywhere near deserving of a spot in the 22 today, and that I reckon comes down to a lack of match practice. He seemed to have lost his touch.

I don't think we can play him as the sub again next week, and he certainly doesn't deserve to be in the starting 21, so I think the best thing for him and the team is a run with Casey, which is what he should have had this week.

What do others think?

There Is Too many soft underbelly players in one team, and I'm Not talking about Watts.

Q??? marks! Bennell/ Morton/ Davey/ Dunn, and to this point in this year,,,, Green. Where are you Brad???

IMO we need a bit more maturity and size in.

Bring in Mcdonald and Petterd for the trip to the Coast. Morton and Dunn for casey.

He was never going to produce much today. I'd say throw him back to Casey and lets see him get some 4 quarter form, but if they played him today then I don't think they were ever planning for him to play VFL.

I'm still not sure of his best position, but it probably is on a wing. I hope he can be left to play on a wing and use his height as a marking option out of the backline and his endurance to work up and down the park.

His first 2 years were very good and last year he was apparently up and about before injury and a poor return. It's too early to make any rash judgements on him as a player.

I am Happy to see Morton back up and running, but the decision to play him as a sub in my mind was DUMB. He clearly needs match fitness and practise after missing a good 6 - 8 weeks. So either we should have played him the whole game, which he probably isn't ready for, or play him for Casey. A one quarter stint was not what he needed coming back into footy. Saying that i would play him next week against GC, but please not as a sub Bails!

Morton managed to create a 'goal' for the Lions almost as soon as he came on. That handpass to the Lions player was a masrterstroke, straight across the ground for a goal. He needs to learn to operate with more intensity, to learn to make instinctive decisions.

His footy brtain is like watching 'Sap' run down a tree trunk. We need to hit some 'form straps' out there to lift our 'Game tempo'.

I'm not sure the answers are really adding to the debate. The real question is: Should Morton play in the starting 21 or at Casey? He shouldn't be the sub which means if he's in the starting 21, who becomes the sub? Although Dunn picked up his game toward the end, I thought he struggled overall today. Not enough to be dropped, but perhaps to be the sub to allow Morton to play a full game.

Ox I would be surprised if he did not play next week.

The guy has had no match practise.

Then play him at Casey during the bye.

He has ability and from all reports there was no one at Casey this week that will be pushing for selection

His return was modest in the last quarter however I think it was more than the guy he replaced did in 3 quarters.

Thats the guy he replaces and about time too.

There was, Maric could do with a shot against a 'younger side'. Also Petterd has been Ok, and is fitter, or in better form, than Morton Bay.

Not to mention Newton. I would persevere with Watts.

But Dunn is looking lazy, and playing in Patches. He looks too comfortable, and IMO is causing him to be laconic about his spot. Bennell, well, not putting in for a 3rd year player.

There was, Maric could do with a shot against a 'younger side'. Also Petterd has been Ok, and is fitter, or in better form, than Morton Bay.

Not to mention Newton. I would persevere with Watts.

But Dunn is looking lazy, and playing in Patches. He looks too comfortable, and IMO is causing him to be laconic about his spot. Bennell, well, not putting in for a 3rd year player.

Why Watts is giving you little!