Daniel Bell - mild brain damage

Rogue

'The Age' reports that Daniel Bell has suffered concussion-related brain damage. It means that Bell is unable to continue his football career at a lower level, as further concussion could lead to serious issues later in life.

Fortunately it seems Bell is improving, but his condition sounds reasonably serious:

Since Bell's life-changing diagnosis, on October 4 last year, he has recorded promising results through an online brain-training program he believes could help other footballers.

Despite his improvements, Bell - who was regularly an A-grade student in high school - still struggles to remember words and names when he is tired or his brain feels strained.

This was evident during a 2½-hour sitting with The Age in his Bentleigh home this week when he lost his train of thought mid-sentence several times.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/former-afl-player-seeks-compensation-20110330-1cgf7.html

Bell has lodged a compensation claim with the AFLPA that, if approved, would see us make a payment to Bell:

[The compensation] would be a sum of under $100,000, but the former player has agonised over pursuing the claim in recent months and still feels somewhat uneasy. He is also not convinced the claim will be approved.

''I still love the club and I don't want to put them out; they've just come out of debt. I feel weird about the whole thing, but I've got a small case of brain damage, I suppose,'' he said.

''There's a clause that says you have to lodge your claim within six months after your final contract, so I suppose I've thought that if I don't lodge it, what happens if I've got dementia in 20 years?''

Bell stresses he has no grievance with Melbourne and is not claiming club doctors mismanaged him. ''The only mismanagement was from my own will to play,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/former-afl-player-seeks-compensation-20110330-1cgf7.html

It's a shame that Bell can't continue playing football, but I imagine that's a relatively small concern for him in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully he recovers.

I'm not surprised that the league has made changes regarding concussion, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more changes in future.

EDIT: MFC have stated that Bell has not applied for compensation: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/110495/default.aspx

Edited by Rogue
Update from MFC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear that from Daniel Bell. I liked him as a player for his intensity.

INteresting though reading the article:

"Bell estimates that he was concussed 15 times before he was drafted by Melbourne in 2002, and that only half of those bouts were through playing football. He wore a helmet as a teenage footballer but discarded it by the time he was 14.

Bell estimates he was diagnosed with concussion between eight and 10 times during his time at Melbourne but the two concussions he experienced in 2009 and 2010 were the most damaging."

The awareness he lacked as a senior player was evident in his younger years. What do clubs do? Do you not recruit players who have a propensity to get hit like a Joel Selwood??

He was also cleaned up one day playing for Casey between the outer wing and forward flank in 08 or 09. I can't remember who it was against but he pretty much staggered around for the rest of the quarter not knowing who, or where he was. It was a clean hit, right on the boundary line but clearly did some damage at the time

He was also cleaned up one day playing for Casey between the outer wing and forward flank in 08 or 09. I can't remember who it was against but he pretty much staggered around for the rest of the quarter not knowing who, or where he was. It was a clean hit, right on the boundary line but clearly did some damage at the time

Ucanchoose, I was on the boundary line near that incident and I couldn't believe the sound that impact made. Bell had the ball and hung on to it a fraction too long. My thoughts at the time were that why would anyone want to play such a violent game. Also, Bell seemed to lack peripheral awareness. Couldn't believe the courage he showed getting up after that hit. That game must have been in '09, i think against western bulldogs:

Saturday 14 March 2009

Casey Fields

Western Bulldogs 14.17.101

Melbourne 10.3.63

Goalkickers: Brad Green 3, Brad Miller 1, Neville Jetta 1, Michael Newton 1, Aaron Davey 1, Brock McLean 1, James McDonald 1, Nathan Jones 1

However, there is worse news. Aaron Davey (bruised heel), Ricky Petterd (hip) and Daniel Bell (broken hand) were injured.

Clint Bartram was reported for front-on contact with Daniel Giansiracusa

Edited by bush demon

Given that it was almost universally accepted (on Demonland at least) that his biggest issue was lack of awareness, you'd have to wonder (as jnr pointed out) whether the endless list of concussions may have had some impact on that. I guess we don't know enough about the injury (injuries?), and I certainly don't know enough about brains to know.

I get to very few live matches being in Tassie, but I was at the game where Ben Johnson wiped Belly out. It's the only time I've ever booed someone at a football match, and I did that day until I was so hoarse that I couldn't anymore. It made me feel sick and I was so upset about it that I didn't know how else to respond other than just boo my head off. It still makes me sick every time I see Johnson on the field.

It's a pity he can't play anymore, but who cares about that in the scheme of things? The important thing is his health, so I sincerely hope everything remains okay. Good luck Daniel.

I think people are missing the point, this was likely brought on by multiple concussions.

Absolutely the Ben Johnson hit was filthy, but Bell probably experienced many many concussions for which he was not knocked out.

I'd encourage everyone to read this article from the US, a real eye opener on the issue

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

Any of us who have played football at any level past the age of 16 have probably experience a handful of concussions in our time, I know I have. It is quite scary

The catalyst for the new concussion rules, I believe, is the situation currently ongoing in ice hockey.

The NHL's best player is still out after amfew heavy hits & they're not sure when he'll be able to return (last I heard).

Re: Bell, I immediately wonder if that's what made his career stall and him suddenly regress as a player.

My heart goes out to the bloke, I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

These are the things we know little about and its scary to think that peer pressure to be tough can lead to such unforseen circumstances later in life.

I think people are missing the point, this was likely brought on by multiple concussions.

Absolutely the Ben Johnson hit was filthy, but Bell probably experienced many many concussions for which he was not knocked out.

I don't think anyone's missing the point - as someone who mentioned the Johnson hit I only did so because it was memorable to me. It even says in the article that the two most impacting were probably those he received in 2009 and 2010 while playing in the VFL. I think most of us understand that it's the complete series of events, not the individual events that have probably caused the issue.

Guest 36DD

MLB has also just introduced a 7 day DL for concussions based on a speight of high profile incidents in the last few years

Major League Baseball is that correct? Wouldn't have thought many concussions would occur in what is largely a non contact sport...possibly when batters are storming home base and bowl over the catcher????

Major League Baseball is that correct? Wouldn't have thought many concussions would occur in what is largely a non contact sport...possibly when batters are storming home base and bowl over the catcher????

Yes it's correct.

I got quite upset reading that article this morning.

As a big Belly fan I remember the amount of crap he copped on this site, so to read how upset he was after playing badly through no fault of his own is heartbreaking. He put his life in danger for our club and still remains one of, if not the bravest player I've ever seen play for us. To think of the horrific consequences he now has to live with as a result, is terrible.

I hope he gets the help and compensation he deserves and that he goes on to live a long and healthy life. He deserves nothing less.

Oh and while it is not Ben Johnson's fault, the guy is still a dog and I hope he felt sick reading the article today.

I hope we can work something out for him.

Precedents are powerful things...

Outside the courts would be better. Agree to take care of any healthcare costs, concerning his head, for the rest of his life as they arise?

I'd encourage everyone to read this article from the US, a real eye opener on the issue

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell is a terrific writer. I have read a lot of his stuff. This story is chilling. Definitely worth reading.

You can't help but think of Joel Selwood when you read this. And Lenny Hayes.

Malcolm Gladwell is a terrific writer. I have read a lot of his stuff. This story is chilling. Definitely worth reading.

You can't help but think of Joel Selwood when you read this. And Lenny Hayes.

And one one wonders how long it will be before an AFL player actually dies on the field of play. Lesser hits than Selwood's and Brown's over the weekend, and Jordan Lewis' last year, cause fatalities on sporting fields and in daily accidents around the world. All it takes is a hammering knee to the wrong point of the temple and it's lights out ... permanently.

This is a worst case scenario for our game. Mums and dads country wide would ban their kids en-masse from the sport overnight if this happened.

It must surely be one of the AFL's highest priorities to try to prevent it occuring. If it makes the game appear 'softer', so be it in my opinion.

Edited by Range Rover

I hope he is not as bad as he fears.

I am sure our club will handle the situation appropriately.

Concussion is a very serious thing and I cant believe some of the incidents I saw on the weekend.

Not worth 4 points to risk someones health.

The AFL needs to have independant assessors available.

I got quite upset reading that article this morning.

As a big Belly fan I remember the amount of crap he copped on this site, so to read how upset he was after playing badly through no fault of his own is heartbreaking. He put his life in danger for our club and still remains one of, if not the bravest player I've ever seen play for us. To think of the horrific consequences he now has to live with as a result, is terrible.

I hope he gets the help and compensation he deserves and that he goes on to live a long and healthy life. He deserves nothing less.

Oh and while it is not Ben Johnson's fault, the guy is still a dog and I hope he felt sick reading the article today.

Hearing him being interviewed on SEN this morning, talking about his brain training for rehabilitation and that things are improving was good to hear. He is getting the help he needs which is good. He stated in the interview the club was good to him during his playing days, so I'm not sure re: the compensation claim.

I wish Belly all the best for the future.

Hearing him being interviewed on SEN this morning, talking about his brain training for rehabilitation and that things are improving was good to hear. He is getting the help he needs which is good. He stated in the interview the club was good to him during his playing days, so I'm not sure re: the compensation claim.

I wish Belly all the best for the future.

Well Chris Connelly was on 774 and said that Samantha Lane had held onto this story for a couple of weeks to make sure it was fair and balance and club was doing all that it could to help Bell

I think this is a huge concern for all who play contact sports, I am glad the AFL have moved so quickly on it! I hope we are doing enough as I would hate to see this become more serious for Belly, or any other sportsman for that matter. Loved how Belly played, still remember a huge smother he laid in the goal square.. its a real shame that this may negatively impact his private life and his playing career. Good luck Belly!

Edited by deejammin'

Tell that to the 15 yr old pitcher that had a fly ball direct straight back at his head. Serious damage. The metal bat debate around MLB is central to head injuries because of the power and speed the ball leaves a metal bat as opposed to a wood one.

Sidney Crosby in NHL has been out since Jan 5 with concussion, has been training fully for a month but is still not playing and as pointed out above it is defiantly from here that the AFL have taken the lead. Crosby is due to return in the next week or two.

I couldn't imagine an AFL playing sitting out half a season due to this but the more stories that come out from the likes of Dan Bell then maybe more will take the proper precautions.

He interviewed well on SEN this morning and I wish him well.

I hope we can work something out for him.

Precedents are powerful things...

Outside the courts would be better. Agree to take care of any healthcare costs, concerning his head, for the rest of his life as they arise?

Just on this point, it should be made clear that Bell is not actually seeking legal damages or "suing" the club. He is exercising his entitlement in accordance with the industrial agreement that governs the terms and conditions of employment for all AFL players. It is really no different to asking to be paid out the balance of your annual leave on termination.