• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What happens if we start 0-4 or 0-5

DemonOX

I don't think we should sack the coach but it wouldn't surprise me if we were 1 and 3 at the end of the fourth. Our form(?) over the preseason has been appalling and you can gloss it over any way you want but we have played terrible football.

We got thrashed by Brisbane at Princess Park and the score line flattered us, their players were better than ours on every line and their desire for the ball was greater; anyone putting the third round match against them as a win should think again. Sydney will beat us easily as will Hawthorn but we may beat the Gold Coast, I wouldn't put my house on it though.

We have a lot of improvement to make if we are going to be competitive this year, as I said earlier this is starting to look like 2007 all over again. We have the same team as last year with a couple of Veterans gone and a lot of the young players having interrupted starts to the year. Where's the improvement coming from?

Edited by RobbieF

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the sydney game from last year on repeat...

what a game- somehow highly doubt the same result margin

will be a tough game as it's first up, we dont have frawley or mckenzie who featured in the win as well as mcdonald or bruce. they wont have kirk, but they've got some underrated good youngsters as well.

fingers crossed our pre-season form doesn't carry into the season proper although not too worried as we needed to get game time into some guys.

go dees

I don't think we should sack the coach but it wouldn't surprise me if we were 1 and 3 at the end of the fourth. Our form(?) over the preseason has been appalling and you can gloss it over any way you want but we have played terrible football.

We got thrashed by Brisbane at Princess Park and the score line flattered us, their players were better than ours on every line and their desire for the ball was greater; anyone putting the third round match against them as a win should think again. Sydney will beat us easily as will Hawthorn but we may beat the Gold Coast, I wouldn't put my house on it though.

We have a lot of improvement to make if we are going to be competitive this year, as I said earlier this is starting to look like 2007 all over again. We have the same team as last year with a couple of Veterans gone and a lot of the young players having interrupted starts to the year. Where's the improvement coming from?

Giving up a little early this year Robbie....i am disappointed in you.

Remember the Cartoon "Little Calimero".....walked around with his egg shell on his head so as to be safe from the falling sky.

Giving up a little early this year Robbie....i am disappointed in you.

Remember the Cartoon "Little Calimero".....walked around with his egg shell on his head so as to be safe from the falling sky.

I went to the first game in 2007 and before it began i wondered where our improvement was going to to come from and it only took me one quarter to realise that we weren't going to improve.

I left that game dejected and said to my son we are shyte and will not go anywhere this year and that's what happened. I have a gut feeling that we will go backwards this year, two months ago I was optimistic but that has evaporated, hope I'm wrong but can't see it.

Where can you see our improvement coming from?

I went to the first game in 2007 and before it began i wondered where our improvement was going to to come from and it only took me one quarter to realise that we weren't going to improve.

I left that game dejected and said to my son we are shyte and will not go anywhere this year and that's what happened. I have a gut feeling that we will go backwards this year, two months ago I was optimistic but that has evaporated, hope I'm wrong but can't see it.

I would like to see you say that right in front of Jim Stynes Face....

Improvement- Luke Tapscott and Adam Maric....NEXT.

Maric, Dunn, Bartram, Scully, Grimes, Trengove, Jurrah, Cook, Watts, Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Martin, Jones, Garland, Frawley, Bail, Petterd, Morton, Mckenzie and Gysberts are all under 25 - and you can't see where our improvement will come from?

what a game- somehow highly doubt the same result margin

will be a tough game as it's first up, we dont have frawley or mckenzie who featured in the win as well as mcdonald or bruce. they wont have kirk, but they've got some underrated good youngsters as well.

fingers crossed our pre-season form doesn't carry into the season proper although not too worried as we needed to get game time into some guys.

go dees

I'm concerned about Gary Rohan, depending on where he plays. His pace could open us up.

Umm, let's see. Frawley, Green, Jamar, Davey, Trengove, Garland, Scully, Bartram, Grimes, Jurrah, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, Sylvia, Morton, Bennell, Watts and Bail all get to play together for another season and all should improve on last year. Throw in Maric, Tapscott, Gysberts, Jetta, possibly Blease and maybe Cook or even Howe. On top of that you've got Moloney, Jones, MacDonald, Dunn and Rivers. It's a solid list of players with some cream to start rising. Your evaporating optimism will return before the first bye.

Edited by Roost It

Maric, Dunn, Bartram, Scully, Grimes, Trengove, Jurrah, Cook, Watts, Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Martin, Jones, Garland, Frawley, Bail, Petterd, Morton, Mckenzie and Gysberts are all under 25 - and you can't see where our improvement will come from?

I don't rate Strauss, Martin and Jones all that highly. Cook is in his first year and probably won't play. Blease is unknown and may or may not be a valuable addition. Morton, Frawley, and Mckenzie are all injured. Maric has played a few good games in the pre season but everyone tells me that pre season games are worthless. Dunn, Bartram, Scully, Grimes, Garland, Trengove and Jurrah are all very good and I expect them to play well this year. The jury is still out on Bennell, Jetta and Bail. Petterd and Gysberts had pretty bad injuries last year and are on the comeback trail and I expect Tapscott to be a very good player for us. Jack could be anything.

Our midfield cannot win a clearance and that hasn't changed from lat year, our inside 50's are still well below other teams and our forwards have no idea of defensive pressure. Our kick ins are still woeful and haven't improved from last year, or last century if you really want to be honest. Watching the pre season games, you know the ones that only Melbourne don't seem to rate, it's clear that we have no system and unless we've been playing some sort of experimental let's fool the opposition game, it's a real concern.

DemonOx your hypothetical is a fair and reasonable one but most on here these days would prefer to slag a poster off than answer an actual question.

I think whether we are a 0-5 or 5-0 a decision on Bailey although may already be sealed should be held until there is a need to make it. That is either seasons end or if a another club sacks a coach and we have already decided internally his fate. I expect us to be minimum 3-2 after 5 games and anything less would make me query if there has been improvement.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

DemonOx your hypothetical is a fair and reasonable one but most on here these days would prefer to slag a poster off than answer an actual question.

I think whether we are a 0-5 or 5-0 a decision on Bailey although may already be sealed should be held until there is a need to make it. That is either seasons end or if a another club sacks a coach and we have already decided internally his fate. I expect us to be minimum 3-2 after 5 games and anything less would make me query if there has been improvement.

I believe the decision time is after 11 games. No improvement on last year and the calls to MM should start.

Remember a number of people at the club including Bailey are saying this year is about improvment and onfield performance/winning games.

He said it!

We won't be 0-4, simple.

And IF we were, we know how this story goes. We play the kids, and hope that next season will be better. The only difference at seasons end would be that the club would cull more players over the age of 26 (anyone not considered a required player would not get a contract over 26), and would probably put Bailey in the gun.

The dees will be good this year. Have some faith.

We won't be 0-4, simple.

And IF we were, we know how this story goes. We play the kids, and hope that next season will be better. The only difference at seasons end would be that the club would cull more players over the age of 26 (anyone not considered a required player would not get a contract over 26), and would probably put Bailey in the gun.

The dees will be good this year. Have some faith.

Hope you are correct, happy for you to say "I told you so"

Before we all get too excited, I am playing devils advocate and just posing this as a possible scenario. Our first four games are against Syndey, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Gold Coast follwed by a bye in round 5. I would hope we would win at least 3 out of the first 4. What happens if we are 0 and 4???????

Bailey has rebult the team but when you listen to his press conferences over the last 3 years he continues to say the same thing. (IE to many turnovers, not enough inside 50's, skill level needs improvement etc etc). Isnt that his job to make sure we do improve. Sadly he is saying the same thing again this year (yes i know its only preseason).

Obviously we have a team that can compete and I know we are young and I know we have to be patient but there comes a time when we "the fans" need to see more improvement on the field. LESS TALK MORE ACTION.

If we start 0-4 (then after R5 we have a trip to Perth, could be 0-5) then Bailey needs to go. Replacement Leigh Matthew or Mick Malthouse or Paul Roos with G Lyon as Assistant.

Your thoughts?????????

It is also a possibility that we not win any games this year, but not a significant probability. I might also win tattslotto this week if i buy a ticket- thats a possibility too. I think it may be better to look at the probabilities I think three wins and one loss, depending on injuries to key players.

Oh and leave the devil's advocacy to the elevation of Roman Catholic saints.

Behold, the Golden Bailey of Supreme Righteousness Statue

That is a most righteous statue.

What if we're 4-0 or 5-0? Should we sign up Bailey for 5 years immediately?

Oh noes. That will mean an opening post for a new thread stating we should expect nothing less than top 4 - otherwise Bailey should be replaced. Negativity rules.

I'm remembering back to 1992 and the North Melbourne team of that year under Wayne Schimmelbusch. He won 7 and lost 15 with a team full of talent.

Schimma was replaced the following year as coach by Denis Pagan and they won 13 games! And (as they say) the rest is history!

It's year four of the great re-build and I want results! No! Not a premiership or a top four finish but 10 or more wins at least.

I'm remembering back to 1992 and the North Melbourne team of that year under Wayne Schimmelbusch. He won 7 and lost 15 with a team full of talent.

Schimma was replaced the following year as coach by Denis Pagan and they won 13 games! And (as they say) the rest is history!

It's year four of the great re-build and I want results! No! Not a premiership or a top four finish but 10 or more wins at least.

Alright, as long as you are willing to put up with 12 losses and some very awful displays on occasion.

I'm remembering Geelong in 2006.

Mark Thompson led the club to a terrible season considering all the talent they possessed.

They ended up inexplicably missing the finals and getting pick 7 in the draft.

The following year, after losses in the first 5 rounds, something clicked and they dominated the AFL for 4 years +.

No change of coach necessary - just the acceptance that sometimes teams underperform and it doesn't necessitate a change of coach.

Sometimes it just takes a little more time for a sweeping change in form.

Bailey has rebult the team but when you listen to his press conferences over the last 3 years he continues to say the same thing. (IE to many turnovers, not enough inside 50's, skill level needs improvement etc etc). Isnt that his job to make sure we do improve. Sadly he is saying the same thing again this year (yes i know its only preseason).

Your thoughts?????????

Before reading this comment I just wrote of a similar sentiment I detect about hearing the same old things on Harringtons's window comment. It's tiresome and wearing thin

I'm remembering Geelong in 2006.

Mark Thompson led the club to a terrible season considering all the talent they possessed.

They ended up inexplicably missing the finals and getting pick 7 in the draft.

The following year, after losses in the first 5 rounds, something clicked and they dominated the AFL for 4 years +.

No change of coach necessary - just the acceptance that sometimes teams underperform and it doesn't necessitate a change of coach.

Sometimes it just takes a little more time for a sweeping change in form.

I think it was the players who got together at Geelong that year and said "enough is enough, we've got the talent so let's prove it".

I would love something similar to happen at Melbourne (albeit without the 0-5 start) however history doesn't repeat itself too often.

Personally I reckon the natives will be restless should we start 0-5.

I shall do exactly the same as if we are 5-0. I will support the team and go to each game with my heart in my mouth (isnt that what we do every game??). I will let the idiota in the media call for sackings and suggest unrest. I will watch this site to see which players get mauled here, and which ones are 'Lyonized'. And I will enjoy that it is FOOTY SEASON AGAIN!! Bring it on!!

I will do the same except I cant go to the game but I will watch it whenever it is.

Go dees.