2011 Pass Mark

Redleg

I want to play finals and I think Redleg's OP was spot on.

One thing I'll be following very closely is whether some our young, very dormant (polite way of putting it) 20-22 year olds in Spencer, Strauss, Maric and Martin can push for senior selection. ATM I think the last three are all destined for the scrapheap so I'd love to see what they can do.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think a B'low count is a proper metric to assess if Sylvia has taken the next step.

Agree. There are so many variables. For example, Colin gets best on the ground from all media outlets, but it is against the scum and Judd gets the umpires votes with his 15 possession, hardly noticed display. Second example, Colin kicks five goals, assists with three more and has 35 possessions absolutely dominating the game, but argues with the umpires and does not get their votes.

I actually think Colin has taken the next step and is one of our best players.

I want to play finals and I think Redleg's OP was spot on.

One thing I'll be following very closely is whether some our young, very dormant (polite way of putting it) 20-22 year olds in Spencer, Strauss, Maric and Martin can push for senior selection. ATM I think the last three are all destined for the scrapheap so I'd love to see what they can do.

Well if the three, or any of them, have poor years, their position on the list would be at risk, as we have to delist at least three at the end of the season.

Watt??? I thought we had dozens of HBF!!

I love Grimes' generalship in the back half - I only want him in the middle "pinch hitting" - when there is definite need for it - sort of like throwing Lake forward when the bullies need a spark. Otherwise I like him where he is just fine

Most of these threads just become "E25 you're crazy" and E25 going "you don't understand, you're not reading hard enough into my thoughts"

Having said that personally i don't think that the dees' will have the breakout year that we all are seeming to expect and or wanting, although don't get me wrong i hope to god we win the premiership.

But i think we will have a 10 or so wins year, and then the year after will be the charge.

I reiterate that would love for a better year than i expect, but i feel around the 9-11 wins will be where we land.

Obviously we will all have different expectations of what would constitute a successful 2011 for the Dees and for me I would like to see a top 8 finish. All the other things like getting games into players will happen as the season unfolds. I believe we are capable of making the 8 unless we have a terrible run with injuries. In my view we have the talent to make the 8 and that should be the minimum aim of the team. While we will have an extremely young list, that should not be a barrier to winning games. There will be plenty of experience mingled with youthful pace and endeavour.

I have never seen a more talented list on paper at Melbourne and I think the time has come to start showing the footy world we are on the way back and heading towards being a really good team. I have deliberately not used the word "premiership" as that is still some way off, but then again when you look at the Pies, maybe not that far off.

My expected range is between 7th to 9th...

I'm obviously hoping for 8th spot,,, but that range is satisfactory to me. If, we finish lower than 9th, I'll be very disappointed.

Watt??? I thought we had dozens of HBF!!

We have plenty of candidates for a HBF, but few proven.

We also have plenty of midfielders, who I'd say are more proven.

For Grimes to be taken out of the backline and put in the middle, we'd need someone to replace what he brings.

I know you're trying to bring up an old conversation about Watts on a HBF...

but does Watts sufficiently replace Grimes and his output?

I very much doubt it.

Most of these threads just become "E25 you're crazy" and E25 going "you don't understand, you're not reading hard enough into my thoughts"

Having said that personally i don't think that the dees' will have the breakout year that we all are seeming to expect and or wanting, although don't get me wrong i hope to god we win the premiership.

But i think we will have a 10 or so wins year, and then the year after will be the charge.

I reiterate that would love for a better year than i expect, but i feel around the 9-11 wins will be where we land.

It's a lower case "e" now...

& I think I sufficiently explain myself.

I leave a little of the bleeding obvious out, because I shouldn't have to spoon-feed people.

& it seems we agree on the rest...

Really, what does this even mean?

To me, that's so vague it's not even worth mentioning.

Not trying to have a go at you, because a lot of people come out with this type of statement, but what more do you want from Sylvia, a bit more specifically?

Would it be fair to assume that Sylvia has taken the next step already? Maybe in saying they want Sylvia to take the next step the poster really wants more consistency. That is, in our best players in 15 of the 22 games or a similar quantitative measure?

Would it be fair to assume that Sylvia has taken the next step already? Maybe in saying they want Sylvia to take the next step the poster really wants more consistency. That is, in our best players in 15 of the 22 games or a similar quantitative measure?

I think this is what I'm alluding to...

I mean, he's an A-grade player already.

What do you want from him? A B&F? A Brownlow?

It he maintains his current form I'll be bloody happy.

I think this is what I'm alluding to...

I mean, he's an A-grade player already.

What do you want from him? A B&F? A Brownlow?

It he maintains his current form I'll be bloody happy.

I agree with louie in that Sylvia needs to play at his best, but far more consistently so... if he does that, then those other rewards (Brownlow votes etc) will come regardless. Another who needs to be far more consistent in 2011 is Moloney who many are touting as captain material (I'm guilty of touting him as VC material)... but he did go missing in action at critical times this year.

Petterd and Jurrah just need to be injury free and playing at the levels they were when they were on the field this year... Jurrah has it well within him to kick 60+ in 2011. The other "correction" that needs to be made in order to ensure our success, is to get Garland and Warnock (assuming he gets a few games) to play without giving away so many free kicks.

Guest Baghdad Bob

I know you're trying to bring up an old conversation about Watts on a HBF...

but does Watts sufficiently replace Grimes and his output?

I very much doubt it.

Watt??? I never suggested Watts for the HBF, that's lunacy.

Grimes to the midfield when he can be replaced - but we don't have anyone to do it - that was my point.

For 2011 I want to see evidence that our game plan can beat anyone and the emergence of potentially elite players. If we don't have those two things we won't win a flag.

The number of wins is irrelevant, we have so much talent on our list the only thing stopping us winning a flag is the two things above.

Whether the wins happen next year doesn't worry me.

How many quarters has Jack Grimes played in the last couple of years?

I wouldn't think we would only start missing him now.

I've been missing him then...

this is a repost-----sorry.

i've already said it...but dean bailey will be melbournes whipping boy if we don't perform.

he's into fourth year as a coach...the members, supporters, players, club and media will jump on his back if we don't see an improvement on last year.

he has a team full of young talent. we came close to beating last years premiers twice.

the expectation for melb in 2011 will be to play finals. If we finsh 10th or 9th...then so be it...but any lower and questions will be raised about bailey and his abilty.

thoughts?

We need to win more then we lose, I'm tired of losing. We have the list, we have the ability, we have the potential we need to see this result in more wins. I would be happy with a 12 and 10 season but considering our draw I want a 14 and 8 season including a 6 and 0 start.

I think we'll see 2-3 more wins and steady development across the list.

Guys like Sylvia, Jurrah, Bennell etc, will become more consistent.

People seem to continually miss that Sylvia has become consistent.

Watt??? I never suggested Watts for the HBF, that's lunacy.

Grimes to the midfield when he can be replaced - but we don't have anyone to do it - that was my point.

For 2011 I want to see evidence that our game plan can beat anyone and the emergence of potentially elite players. If we don't have those two things we won't win a flag.

The number of wins is irrelevant, we have so much talent on our list the only thing stopping us winning a flag is the two things above.

Whether the wins happen next year doesn't worry me.

In the post that the lunatic is referring to you made the same play on words that I have bolded.

And if it isn't the delightful double meaning joke that you have regurgitated twice now - it is 'what' not 'watt.'

In the post that the lunatic is referring to you made the same play on words that I have bolded.

And if it isn't the delightful double meaning joke that you have regurgitated twice now - it is 'what' not 'watt.'

Steady on.

I prefer to be referred to as "sanity-challenged."