Mitch Thorp

baysidedave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be a chance.

Atkins gives a glowing appraisal of Thorp and his work ethic here.

Food for thought.

I couldn't help get the feeling we were one of the teams that said "don't bother going near him."

Other than Hawthorn and Box Hill, who else would have the experience to say that?

Could be foxing though.

I still think if we had any designs on him, Newton would have gone, and what's more, we won't now that we ended up with 4 talls from the ND.

We won't be drafting him as a project wingman, that's for sure.

I'm thinking mids and flankers in the rookie draft, with maybe one tall and it'll be a kid.

i would really love to take the gamble with, not that i know but he does sound like a bit of a [censored] but him being delisted and this being hes last chance to make it

i reckon he'll shape up if giving the opportunity, and at the end of the day if get him in the rookie draft he turns out to still be a [censored] and still injury prone we'll get rid of

him again. we've giving newton a fair go........

key word ... WAS I used to play with Mitch in Tasmania and he was a [censored] but I have seen him around and hes dating one of my mates ex's and she has made him pull his head in. Had a good year and is injury free. Worth a shot

key word ... WAS I used to play with Mitch in Tasmania and he was a [censored] but I have seen him around and hes dating one of my mates ex's and she has made him pull his head in. Had a good year and is injury free. Worth a shot

If you are right with the "was" and if he was only a "[censored]" who the term "figjam" was applied to, then considering he was number 6 pick in the draft and has according to you turned his attitude around, then he should be considered for a rookie position. If there was any lingering doubt as to his character I would pass.

If you are right with the "was" and if he was only a "[censored]" who the term "figjam" was applied to, then considering he was number 6 pick in the draft and has according to you turned his attitude around, then he should be considered for a rookie position. If there was any lingering doubt as to his character I would pass.

There's a lot of frontal lobe development that can go on in a few years from the age of 17 to the early 20s. Maturity, a few wake-up calls, some bitter disappointments and the ending of a dream, and the realisation that the world doesn't revolve around them as an individual, can have a profound influence on a young man, and I don't necessarily agree with the "once a figjam, always a figjam" scenario.

I'm sure the club will be doing the correct and thorough assessment. Plus it's a rookie spot and there's a chance for further assessment over a couple of years without much investment or ultimate loss comparative to an ND pick.

Edited by maurie

I also remember that another footballer from interstate used to have the nickname FIGJAM....think he went on to play in a couple of GF's, captain the most hated club in Australia and win a brownlow...............

Not for one moment do i suggest that FIGJAM Jnr is anything like FIGJAM Snr however, if he was even potentially a third as good then i would take him as a rookie...as has been alluded too, age and the events of the past couple of years can quickly mature a young bloke.

There was a great post over on another board from someone who knew him from Tassie, who basically made the point that he had had enormous difficulty coping with the transition to AFL football, especially being taken so high in the draft. However, he was starting to put that behind him.

Make of some of these posts what we will, but I for one wouldn't be unhappy if we took (a chance on) him, especially as a rookie. Still, we'll find out soon enough.

If Mitch Thorp has a hungry attitude to start playing AFL again he is definately worth a serious look. A pick 6 player who has something to prove could be brilliant for the MFC next year, if we can grab him in the PSD cheaply.

If his attitude still is in a bad place, well it's simple... Walk away.

But reading todays article in the Hun, Simon Atkins certainly endorsed him so i would be interested to have a crack. We really are in a cannot lose situation. Its just another untried player for next year.

The one thing that goes in the favour of players like Thorp is that we're up to our eyeballs in rookie draft picks. 6 picks when the draft went very deep means the cupboard will surely be absolutely bare by the time we get to our last couple. It could be that we'll take someone like Thorp simply because there's nobody else left worth taking.

Given that our president is the head of the Reach foundation, I couldn't see us dismissing (out of hand) a talented young player because he used to have attitude problems.

Given that our president is the head of the Reach foundation, I couldn't see us dismissing (out of hand) a talented young player because he used to have attitude problems.

It's up to Mitch to change his attitude second time around. He has too show the right strengths. Jim, because his situation will be able to tell what that attitude is quicker than others.

Todays article was certainly written in a favourable way so i hope he is ready to have a real crack this time.

Meesen was pick 8 in the ND and he didn't pan out. I really hope Thorp can find a club and gets a second chance, I just don't think our FD will take the risk on a kid who has had a checkered past.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he has changed his attitude. His dog is also cool lookin, anyone know what kind of dog that is?

Meesen was pick 8 in the ND and he didn't pan out. I really hope Thorp can find a club and gets a second chance, I just don't think our FD will take the risk on a kid who has had a checkered past.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he has changed his attitude. His dog is also cool lookin, anyone know what kind of dog that is?

Does anybody have any idea as to what his chequered past actually is.....it's like a cryptic mystery so far...

Does anybody have any idea as to what his chequered past actually is.....it's like a cryptic mystery so far...

Apparently he's had some gambling issues...just what i've read, have no idea to it's accuracy

Apparently he's had some gambling issues...just what i've read, have no idea to it's accuracy

interesting, It really depends on his own attitude doesn't it. If it is true, he probably started or increased his alleged gambling because he was injured so much, idle time with a pay packet.

He also may have had enough of that life, and be an absolute steal as a late Rookie.

interesting, It really depends on his own attitude doesn't it. If it is true, he probably started or increased his alleged gambling because he was injured so much, idle time with a pay packet.

He also may have had enough of that life, and be an absolute steal as a late Rookie.

Agreed, it sounds like he may have changed. This post from Bigfooty gives a decent insight into what he may have gone through after being drafted

"Thorp is one who merely struggled to make the transition to the relentless nature of the afl system. For those of you who don't know his background, Mitch grew up in a very small town in Tasmania and had very little experience with what he faced when he first moved to Melbourne.

He always had an air of self-confidence about him, but I wouldn't say he was overly egotistical. From a very early age he was a very driven character, working extremely hard at his football. The amount of training AFL Tasmania subjected his body to ultimately led to his injury problems during his time at Hawthorn. Right up until the day he was drafted I had never seen him touch a drop of alcohol.

Clearly things changed dramatically after he was drafted, leading to the aforementioned gambling problems. However his biggest problem was a battle with severe depression and anxiety, surprisingly caused by the weight of expectations from the outside world (doesn't seem too egotistical to me). This led to chronic insomnia, which saw him be heavilly medicated.

Now I'm not saying that he didn't have his faults, but the story is much deeper than what is commonly reported. From my brief encounters with him over the past two months I can confidently say that he is in a much better place than he was prior to his delisting at Hawthorn.

The drive is still very much there and his injury troubles are merely a thing of the past. I think he could be a very valuable addition to any club, but I'm not certain he will get the chance.

Give him a chance fellas, if Tim Harrington believes he can add some value to your side, then surely that is enough?"

top 10 draftee, Key position forward... Hell I'd ahave a touch of the FIGJAMS as well! (actuall come to think of it... i do anyway :rolleyes: , anywho...) I don't know about anyone else, but like some ARROGANCE in my footballers - especially the key forwards. Think Jakovich, Carey, Modra, Brereton... the list goes on. Jack Riewoldt was told to pull his head in by Cuz last preseason, it was getting just a bit too big for his body - ended up with a Coleman - Thorp was taken 7 picks ahead of Riewoldt.... if he can play to that ability - ha can have bit of arrogance! Its about time we as a football club got a bit arrogance.. a bit of good old fashioned C&^t about us again. I'm sick to death of us playing the nice little brother. We need to start kicking some of those other sides as we march up the ladder, let them know we mean business and they can cop an earful while we're at it.

Agreed, it sounds like he may have changed. This post from Bigfooty gives a decent insight into what he may have gone through after being drafted

"Thorp is one who merely struggled to make the transition to the relentless nature of the afl system. For those of you who don't know his background, Mitch grew up in a very small town in Tasmania and had very little experience with what he faced when he first moved to Melbourne.

He always had an air of self-confidence about him, but I wouldn't say he was overly egotistical. From a very early age he was a very driven character, working extremely hard at his football. The amount of training AFL Tasmania subjected his body to ultimately led to his injury problems during his time at Hawthorn. Right up until the day he was drafted I had never seen him touch a drop of alcohol.

Clearly things changed dramatically after he was drafted, leading to the aforementioned gambling problems. However his biggest problem was a battle with severe depression and anxiety, surprisingly caused by the weight of expectations from the outside world (doesn't seem too egotistical to me). This led to chronic insomnia, which saw him be heavilly medicated.

Now I'm not saying that he didn't have his faults, but the story is much deeper than what is commonly reported. From my brief encounters with him over the past two months I can confidently say that he is in a much better place than he was prior to his delisting at Hawthorn.

The drive is still very much there and his injury troubles are merely a thing of the past. I think he could be a very valuable addition to any club, but I'm not certain he will get the chance.

Give him a chance fellas, if Tim Harrington believes he can add some value to your side, then surely that is enough?"

Yes that was part of Today's Hun article- Cheers for that. Certainly sounds like someone who deserves a second chance, particularly for a low price.

Just think if he tore it up next season.....

Pretty sure he was average at best in the vfl, what makes anyone think he has what it takes at afl level? I would have thought he would be tearing up the vfl (injury free) im sure the fd would have considered him as they did last year but I don't like his chances

Pretty sure he was average at best in the vfl, what makes anyone think he has what it takes at afl level? I would have thought he would be tearing up the vfl (injury free) im sure the fd would have considered him as they did last year but I don't like his chances

That's not what his coach thought at Werribee. He gave him a glowing report.

I know a few young blokes that earn more than they know what to do with that also love a punt. Gambling to me is the one of the biggest issues young AFL players face. On topic I wound't be upset if we offered him a rookie spot, Minimal risk and potentially a steal.