• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During trade week?

Ouch. Thanks Brucey.

Nah, trade period ended Oct 11th.

Depends though, Pete didn't say when he saw ol' tracky dacks at the races...

I'm passionate but that doesn't lead me to inaccuracies of the type you type. McDonald was a hamstring shy of becoming a liability and Bruce wanted the club to pay more than his worth. With GC and GWS in the club needs to keep balancing the books oh so carefully. Our TPP could become the biggest threat to our desire of multiple premierships. Oh and another thing you don't judge success on being the 3rd most finals bound team for a decade you judge it on Premierships, and we have none over the last decade. The Bruce, White, Yze era was another in a long line of failed attempts to drag this club beyond mediocrity. I'll tell you one of the reasons we didn't win a Premiership with those 3, they're all soft as jello. I advise you to harden up like the club is finally doing.

Damn straight.

With Bruce's departure, it seems to of brought out a few people that are still fuming over the Johnstone trade and the delistings of White, Yze and Robbo...

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 'bring back Daniher' thread yet.

I think that in a few years we're going to look back at the decisions Bailey has been making, and we might very well be speaking about the turning points in our culture which led to a premiership.

And make no mistake, all these decisions are Bailey's decisions. On its face, it appears like McLean and Bruce made independent decisions to leave the club. However, in my opinion, I think that behind close doors there is Bailey making it pretty clear that we have a plan to win a premiership, and that they aren't really key members of that plan in the future. Mclean and Bruce (as well as CJ, Johnstone, McDonald, Buckley) unfortunately could see their days were numbered as they didn't come into Bailey's calculations.

Bailey has his plan, and he'll be sticking by it. If a few peripheral players get stung along the way, so be it. The bigger picture is more important!

If we don't end up winning a premiership as a product of Bailey's list management then at least we'll have put ourselves in a genuine position to challenge for a premiership. No more finishing 5th-8th and never having a real shot at glory. Premiership success is the one and only goal.

I think that in a few years we're going to look back at the decisions Bailey has been making, and we might very well be speaking about the turning points in our culture which led to a premiership.

And make no mistake, all these decisions are Bailey's decisions. On its face, it appears like McLean and Bruce made independent decisions to leave the club. However, in my opinion, I think that behind close doors there is Bailey making it pretty clear that we have a plan to win a premiership, and that they aren't really key members of that plan in the future. Mclean and Bruce (as well as CJ, Johnstone, McDonald, Buckley) unfortunately could see their days were numbered as they didn't come into Bailey's calculations.

Bailey has his plan, and he'll be sticking by it. If a few peripheral players get stung along the way, so be it. The bigger picture is more important!

If we don't end up winning a premiership as a product of Bailey's list management then at least we'll have put ourselves in a genuine position to challenge for a premiership. No more finishing 5th-8th and never having a real shot at glory. Premiership success is the one and only goal.

Correct. Bruce was offered a one year deal, & did not take it. Thus we move on, he made his choice.

Hawthorn did the exact same thing before winning their flag.

Vandenberg was captain and "retired" when he saw the writing on the wall.

Blokes like Hay & Thompson were moved on.

Geelong did it too before them.

Buddha Hocking had to be dragged away kicking and screaming.

Riccardi wasn't too keen to retire either, from memory.

It happens.

People just forget quickly, particularly when it's not their club.

Indeed. And as I cast my mind back to 2007-09 when Bailey was in the hot seat and decisions were made on somewhat forced retirements, delistings, trades - tough decisions - even experimenting during games and driving the youth in getting games into them. It was all about analysing the list, identifying what had to be done in turning over the list and strengthening it as quickly as possible. It's always been about the bigger picture to be more than competitive on field. Undoubtedly a mandate to improve the list through the draft and developing, teaching new kids. Some supporters were up in arms re: McLean's and TJ's trades at the time. The lack of understanding of the strength of the playing list at the time (and the midfield) and what was required to turn things around, was phenomenal on these boards. Now they open their arms with glee at the prospect of Grimes, Gysberts, Watts, Scully, Trengove & Jurrah. How easily are the hard decisions forgotten though ?

Off field similar decisions have been made, erasing debt, creating a business model that will function, increasing membership numbers (growing the membership base), improving communication, improving facilities and resources to help create and sustain/develop a strong playing list in order to compete well against other competing AFL sides.

In time the likes of Stynes, McLardy & Schwab will be remembered for their contributions off the field. Bailey and his team should be remembered the same, in time. For it was a pretty dark period in '07-'09.

Make no mistake, the light is still at the end of the tunnel and there is still work to be done in developing the list further (even though some here say the work is done - it's not all done).

My God, what a load of tripe.

Skill, well Bruce has heaps, very skillful with helicopter kicks and hospital handpasses...

Jeff White, top 5 when he left. That's why other clubs came knocking for the ageing ruckman. He wanted to keep playing, but like Bailey 15 other AFL coaches could see that time had passed him by.

Then you use Jolly as an example to back up the youth policy being a travesty. Clutching at straws there Champ. Jolly left due to too much time being given to the older ruckman....

LOVE THE WAY YOU HAVE SHOUTED ABOUT OUR LAST REMAINING LINK TO THE 2000 GF. History lesson for you .... Bruce didn't play. Green did though.....

Oh but Bruce won a B&F when we were struggling. Good on him. He would never have won a B&F when we were doing well (especially post Guerra).

As for Hale, the FD rated him at a certain level and stood their ground. I don't have blind faith in them, but neither am I blind...

As far as the GF was concerned Bruce was INJURED!!! He was given the option of playing but felt he wasn't fully fit putting the TEAM first! History lesson for YOU!!!

AND Brucey was R/U in B&F in two years when the team WAS SUCCESSFUL.(2002 and 2006). Sorry to shoot your argument down in flames!

Edited by bobby mckenzie

Well I reckon Cam has similar physical qualities to Robert Harvey

... and not to be confused with 32 year old Brent Harvey who "has signed one-year contracts for the last four or five years."

Meanwhile .... Hun article. Good summation of the different POV's. Just because the outcome is less than desirable, it doesn't mean the process should have been different.

I initially felt sorry for Bruce but then I read Jon Ralph's article in today's Herald Sun in which it states that Bruce left because he regarded the inadequate (to him) offer as "an issue of morals" and that the club treated him "with what he believed was contempt".

I hope he and his advisers go into damage control mode on this and deny that the statements were ever made because if he said those things then it's the ultimate example of why he was never going to be a leader at this club and why we are better off without him.

There's no I in "team".

ralph and sheehan have slightly different stories

anyway since when did we taken notice of the little paper or any agenda-driven sports journalists for that matter

not saying anyone in particular is wrong but so far we have

not enough money

money is not an issue

not 2 years term

no guaranteed games

no extension clause

no guarantee of play if best 22

upset over Jnr treatment

upset over culture

wants opportunity to play in premiership side now

greedy manager miscalculates

Bruce seduced by Buddy at races

maybe its all of those things, it doesn't really matter now

Anyway, whats done is done and yesterdays story. I think Cam will come to regret this in time.

Lets bury it, We move on to bigger and better things

I initially felt sorry for Bruce but then I read Jon Ralph's article in today's Herald Sun in which it states that Bruce left because he regarded the inadequate (to him) offer as "an issue of morals" and that the club treated him "with what he believed was contempt".

I hope he and his advisers go into damage control mode on this and deny that the statements were ever made because if he said those things then it's the ultimate example of why he was never going to be a leader at this club and why we are better off without him.

There's no I in "team".

My guess is that the quote came from the player-manager and not from Cameron Bruce.

There's no I in "team".

The less said about his departure the better, but he can shove his morals where the sun don't shine. We don't need players who think like that, or players who let their managers think like that.

Bruce is being portrayed very badly in my eyes from all of this. He was one of the best paid players at our club the last 6-7 years, WELL over his true value. Of all playeres, he's been rewarded the best in a financial sense. And then to use money as an excuse for a lack of respect by the club.

Bruce has held the club hostage every time he has come out of contract. It happened 4 years ago when he threatened to leave, and it happened this time.

He does not bleed for any club, he bleeds for his hip-pocket.

At the end of the day, he's 31, isn't a particularly influential player in our team, and will decline very quickly in the next 12-24 months as he gets into his 30s. I'm over him already.

Has any one considered that there may be relationship issues within the club that influenced his decision. Haven't heard of any.

I'm not sure how his relationship is with other teammates, but you would have to think that with not as many at his age the dynamics would be different from several years ago, even a few years ago. One thing is for sure (as everyone knows) there is a generation gap within the list.

I suppose you can't rule out aspects such as just mentioned when weighing things up at he's age (31) come contract renewal time, it may have made his puzzling decision a tad easier. Trying to put yourself in Bruce's shoes (as hard as it may seem), I'm sure that in the back of his mind the lure of a team much closer to a Premiership, on top of all the other things mentioned regarding longevity in the game and a more secure contract would have tipped him over the edge. But I can't help but think relationship issues at the club as well as salary, weighed heavily on his mind.

Mind you this is is just speculation.

I'm not sure how his relationship is with other teammates, but you would have to think that with not as many at his age the dynamics would be different from several years ago, even a few years ago. One thing is for sure (as everyone knows) there is a generation gap within the list.

I suppose you can't rule out aspects such as just mentioned when weighing things up at he's age (31) come contract renewal time, it may have made his puzzling decision a tad easier. Trying to put yourself in Bruce's shoes (as hard as it may seem), I'm sure that in the back of his mind the lure of a team much closer to a Premiership, on top of all the other things mentioned regarding longevity in the game and a more secure contract would have tipped him over the edge. But I can't help but think relationship issues at the club, weighed heavily on his mind.

Mind you this is is just speculation.

Maybe he doesn't get on with the coach? It appeared to me there was some tension in Bailey's words when Cam was mentioned.

Edited by america de cali

Kent Kingsley, Wayne Carey or Andrew McLeod-Tyson Edwards type issues..?

Not heard of any and I very much doubt it.

Even if there are, I don't really care.

But if it was the case, I doubt there'd be the vague sour grapes leaking through his manager to the media.

It's hard to go from being top 3 most important players and getting paid like it, to the position he was in at the end of this year and 'only' get paid $300k.

It most definitely is an 'only' for Cameron - he was on effing serious coin.

I wonder if those that believe he was shafted by the club think $300k was not enough to offer him?

Nah, we didn't show him enough love...

Please, he was looking for an excuse to leave and win a granny and used the MFC as the boogeyman.

He can do that, but don't expect any sympathy for the decision from me.