• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ThemOldRedlegs

Great news!

I also have on good authority that young Jack will be signing with the MFC very soon.

Expect to see Jack training with Casey in the next year or so.

GO DEES, it's bloody exciting times.

Super News. I loved Toddy as a player and always hoped we would see him back at the club! Dream is a reality.

I remember a poster circa 1996 which had a slogan "we're back, Are you?" - Featured Jimmy, Toddy and Garry. One more piece to complete the puzzle!

Go Dee's and welcome back Todd.

VINEY RETURNS!

Never saw this happening. Didn't even dare to dream it could happen.

The best part is the role he will perform -- I'm as excited about that, as I am about the fact it is Viney who will fill the role.

No question, this is a huge coup for the club, to bring him back in.

Gaurantees Jack Viney too.

This calls for an emoticon!

:)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104081/default.aspx

ADELAIDE football manager Phil Harper says the club is shattered by the sudden resignation of midfield coach Todd Viney.

Viney informed the Crows on Monday that he would be returning to Victoria to take up the newly-created role of general manager player development with Melbourne - the club he played 233 AFL games for.

The South Australian was lured back to Adelaide and the end of 2008, after spending four years in charge of the midfield at Hawthorn.

Harper said the timing of Viney's decision - weeks after most clubs have already finalised their coaching panels for next season - would make it difficult for the Crows to secure the best-possible replacement.

"We're really disappointed…we're shattered actually. Todd's a really integral part of our footy club and an integral part of our coaching staff," Harper said on Tuesday.

"It was a massive shock. I got a phone call from [coach] Neil Craig yesterday afternoon just after we finished with trade week. We were taking a deep breath and then all of a sudden we get that phone call.

"We're disappointed and shattered, but we're also understanding of the circumstances surrounding it."

Harper said Viney had made the decision to quit the Crows and return to Melbourne based on what was best for his 16-year-old son, Jack.

The Prince Alfred College student starred for South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships in July and has already attracted the attention of the Demons, where he is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule.

Adelaide was exploring a loophole in the soon-to-be-finalised concessions for the new Greater Western Sydney team next season in a bid to snatch Viney from the Dees, but Harper said it was clear the Viney family expected Jack to play for Melbourne.

"Todd and Meagan have got a young son Jack, who is a good footy player and they're a fair way down the track of him going father-son to Melbourne," Harper said.

"If that happens he ends up in Melbourne doing Year 12 without his family and trying to play AFL footy, which is probably a recipe for disaster.

"Todd had the offer of the role and the thought was to send the whole family back there and try and get as much support for their son as they can."

Adelaide had already made several changes to its coaching panel for next year, with former assistant coach David Noble stepping into a newly-created list management role and part-time ruck coach Matthew Clarke coming onboard full time.

Viney's departure means the club is now in the market for an experienced midfield coach.

Harper said it was disappointing Adelaide wasn't able to make a play for retired skipper Simon Goodwin, who has joined Essendon as an assistant, but that the Crows would ideally like an assistant from outside the walls of West Lakes to complement the likes of former players Clarke, Mark Bickley and Ben Hart.

"Todd brought us some great experience. He's been in the caper for six years full time and there's a lot more to it than just sitting in the box on match day. We'd really like someone who is experienced - that would be a key thing for us," Harper said.

VINEY RETURNS!

Never saw this happening. Didn't even dare to dream it could happen.

The best part is the role he will perform -- I'm as excited about that, as I am about the fact it is Viney who will fill the role.

No question, this is a huge coup for the club, to bring him back in.

Gaurantees Jack Viney too.

This calls for an emoticon!

:)

agree :blink::blink: for both Viney;s

Edited by jayceebee31

That dancing spiderman could not have summed up the news any better. I think I might do the same. Great work. :) :) :)

hahah that is actually me dressed up in a spiderman outfit dancing after hearing the news :)

lets bring back the ox, gaz, stinga, febeys, etc now!! :lol:

..and nicholson of course :)

many will be excited as its all but a slam dunk youd expect that Jack will line up for our glorious Dees in the years ahead and thats a tremendous pickup but Im just as if not more excited about the wealth of knowledge this guy ( Todd) will bring to the club. For sure he wont be our midfield coach but youd have to think that any coach with an ounce of brains would mine him for all its worth.

Bloody hell our FD has grown some...they could just about field a team by themselves now.. My how things have changed ( for the better ) at Melbourne :)

Harper said Viney had made the decision to quit the Crows and return to Melbourne based on what was best for his 16-year-old son, Jack.

The Prince Alfred College student starred for South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships in July and has already attracted the attention of the Demons, where he is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule.

Adelaide was exploring a loophole in the soon-to-be-finalised concessions for the new Greater Western Sydney team next season in a bid to snatch Viney from the Dees, but Harper said it was clear the Viney family expected Jack to play for Melbourne.

"Todd and Meagan have got a young son Jack, who is a good footy player and they're a fair way down the track of him going father-son to Melbourne," Harper said.

"If that happens he ends up in Melbourne doing Year 12 without his family and trying to play AFL footy, which is probably a recipe for disaster.

"Todd had the offer of the role and the thought was to send the whole family back there and try and get as much support for their son as they can."

Sounds like sour grapes to me. It's not as if historically a player hasn't combined being on an AFL list with year 12 studies before and we know that AFL clubs are very careful with ensuring that their young players have a properly measured transition into the game while also concentrating on getting their studies out of the way. I may be wrong on this but I understand that Jack Viney isn't due to be drafted until the end of 2012 which will co-incide with the end of his year 12 studies anyway.

If I'm right then it means that the folk at Adelaide are not only mistaken in those comments but they haven't been showing the proper regard for the youngster's welfare anyway.

well...youd have to think theyd be just as disppointed as we are excited...its called the human condition.

having said that..

couldnt care less about the crows...GO DEES !!! :)

If I'm right then it means that the folk at Adelaide are not only mistaken in those comments but they haven't been showing the proper regard for the youngster's welfare anyway.

Agreed.

Good get by the demons. I'm happy we're increasing our coaching and development staff. I would suggest that a team like Collingwood would have double the amount of coaches, development and recruiting staff than we had a couple of years ago.

The more FD spending we do, we are giving our team the best possible chance to make us proud and win a premiership

Sounds like sour grapes to me. It's not as if historically a player hasn't combined being on an AFL list with year 12 studies before and we know that AFL clubs are very careful with ensuring that their young players have a properly measured transition into the game while also concentrating on getting their studies out of the way. I may be wrong on this but I understand that Jack Viney isn't due to be drafted until the end of 2012 which will co-incide with the end of his year 12 studies anyway.

I think you're right.

I remember reading somewhere that Jack Viney was the first PAC Year 9 player to play in the senior team when he played with Trengove and Tapscott in 2009. If he's a decent student then he'll be doing year 12 in 2012.

I think you're right.

I remember reading somewhere that Jack Viney was the first PAC Year 9 player to play in the senior team when he played with Trengove and Tapscott in 2009. If he's a decent student then he'll be doing year 12 in 2012.

Yeah, I think you and WJ are on the money. No doubt alot of planning has already taken place. I'm sure the Viney family have considered everything including education, the future etc for Jack. This wouldn't have been a snap decision. Any talk of "recipe for disaster" from the Crows is just ridiculous.

Thats fantastic, not cause of his son (bonus), but Viney's experience since eh left the club, part of a premiership coaching team and then at one of the more efficiently run clubs in adelaide.FC.. He will bring a lot knowledge with him, plus his own background in sports science, as long as no tennis players distract him :)

Awesome win there! What a get- stuff Hale and co.

Doess this mean we can definitivly rule out drafting a mid at #12 because we can essentially add Viney to our midfield in a couple of years time? I have to admit I haven't seen the boy play!

That is such a massive announcement

PLayer development couldn't be in better hands & now have the added bonus of young Jack guaranteed.

How are the 3 Lyon boys progressing?

Time to get excited people

Apparently they're not the greatest!! Said from the lone wolf himself

Edited by OPETH

Awesome win there! What a get- stuff Hale and co.

Doess this mean we can definitivly rule out drafting a mid at #12 because we can essentially add Viney to our midfield in a couple of years time? I have to admit I haven't seen the boy play!

I'm really excited about Jack. Getting ourselves a gun young midfielder in 2 years time who hopefully can make an impact straight away will be a HUGE advantage if we're already playing finals at that stage

Scully, Trengove, Viney, Grimes, Gysberts the fab 5. Davey, Sylvia and Moloney the 2nd stringers :)

Todd has a very good reputation, hopefully he does a good job at the demons

Really good day for the club.

Just as an aside - I noticed there was no mention of Mark Williams with O'Donnell in the Development team. Williams was made a dev coach two years ago.

I wonder if this appointment has meant a restructure with Williams going to take charge of the backline and, therefore, there will be no need for a coach to be sought for the position vacated by Wellman.

He's a good coach in his own right, Williams...

That's my guess. Could be wrong.