• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce (ouch)

GRUN DEE

I'd agree on a one year contract. He should take it and see how he goes. I doubt he could remain fully fit for 2 full seasons at his age and recent record. This year he was ony good for about half the season. Early on I thought he was on the way out but he improved in the second half. Strange how form improves when a new contract is beckoning. If he left I'd doubt he will get a 2 year deal elsewhere.

I wouldn't have much doubt Cam could maintain his fitness for another 2 years (barring unpredictable injuries). I'd say his biggest concern would be that the FD would move him on to make way for the youngsters. As soon as they even approach his playing ability the FD will be wanting to pump up their game time. He would need to be starring to be offered an extension after 2011. He probably sees 1 year at MFC being just that and no more.

As far as a one year offer goes Jnr would probably have been a better option, plus Cam has trading possibilities. We may end up with a spare veteran's slot.

I hope Cam takes the 1 year but I'm not confident he will

I wouldn't have much doubt Cam could maintain his fitness for another 2 years (barring unpredictable injuries). I'd say his biggest concern would be that the FD would move him on to make way for the youngsters. As soon as they even approach his playing ability the FD will be wanting to pump up their game time. He would need to be starring to be offered an extension after 2011. He probably sees 1 year at MFC being just that and no more.

As far as a one year offer goes Jnr would probably have been a better option, plus Cam has trading possibilities. We may end up with a spare veteran's slot.

Ricky Nixon was on SEN this morning discussing trade week- he indicated that Bruce and the MFC was not to far away- no great issue at this stage and no contract has been signed due to Cam being overseas. I don't believe he will even be discussed this week as a trade.

Yes, the club seems keen to retire all the old school as quickly as possible. Thats IMO is the main reason why Jnr had to go. It's a young bodies game these days.

It's about building a team that can pretty well remain intact for 4-5 years . Yes there are always addition and subtractions but I think the club would see any further Bruce involvement as very stop gap , hence the 1 y offer ... and good on em

Ricky Nixon was on SEN this morning discussing trade week- he indicated that Bruce and the MFC was not to far away- no great issue at this stage and no contract has been signed due to Cam being overseas. I don't believe he will even be discussed this week as a trade.

I saw Cam in Melbourne last week so I doubt the hold-up has been him being overseas. Really hope the club holds firm on a one year deal - we don't want a scenario like Brad Johnson (or David Neitz for that matter). I realise he's concerned about being shipped off for being too old but if he deserves a contract after next year, I'm sure the club will offer him one (especially given his veteran status). If he doesn't then one year was a fair call anyway. No benefit to offering two IMO.

If bruce is holding back becuase he wants two years, he is doing the wrong thing by the club.

He has had a very good run at Melbourne with good contracts and if blokes like Crawford, Tredrea could spend their last few year playing on 1 year contracts, then so can he.

We must stick to 1 year. he is 31, who knows how he will be playing in 2 years.

Yes, the club seems keen to retire all the old school as quickly as possible. Thats IMO is the main reason why Jnr had to go. It's a young bodies game these days.

It's a very good point in regards to moving on all the old-school players, which maybe known as the Daniher Group. Let's face it, in ND's time, he had that clicky group of blokes that at times played well for the Club, but probably didn't do enough to earn their spots. Maybe this is because we lacked depth, maybe it's because those younger players (like Dunn, Rivers, Bartram, etc) weren't given the opportunity because of this group of "automatic selections". Enter Dean Bailey and all of a sudden these blokes have had to step up, as he wont accept mediocre performances, and is happy to use the Casey partenership as a way to get back in to form. He doesn't have an "automatic selection" condition in his coaching manual, and some of these old school guys have struggled with that in the past, Bruce included.

We don't know what sort of culture Daniher taught these blokes, and what effect these guys are having on the current crop of kids. But I find it interesting that very few of the current younger guys have ever mentioned that Cam Bruce is a great mentor. There's always a lot of talk about the leadership of Rivers, Moloney and Jones, but not much of that Daniher-era core group.

Just a thought, shoot me down at will!

He's cutting all his tracksuit pants into trackie shorts.

Is that your hunch DA ? Get the banana boat out for this....: -

If Gold Coast is to take Bruce under the uncontracted player rule then it has to announce it by Thursday.

Several outlets are reporting the length of the contract is the issue rather than the $$$.

I think Cam has every right to ride the trade week out and see what's around before committing to the Dees. If he gets a better offer elswehwere and he chooses to go I wish him all the best and thank him for his service. If no such offer is forthcoming the one year deal should still be on the table for him to accept.

In fairness to Cam, seeing what happened with Jnr would make him think he will need to play 18+ games at a very high level to be offered a further 1 year deal. An achievement that can be cruelled by injury and or the unexpected development of a prospect like Strauss, Bail, Blease or Tapscott (or insert new name here)

It's a very good point in regards to moving on all the old-school players, which maybe known as the Daniher Group. Let's face it, in ND's time, he had that clicky group of blokes that at times played well for the Club, but probably didn't do enough to earn their spots. Maybe this is because we lacked depth, maybe it's because those younger players (like Dunn, Rivers, Bartram, etc) weren't given the opportunity because of this group of "automatic selections". Enter Dean Bailey and all of a sudden these blokes have had to step up, as he wont accept mediocre performances, and is happy to use the Casey partenership as a way to get back in to form. He doesn't have an "automatic selection" condition in his coaching manual, and some of these old school guys have struggled with that in the past, Bruce included.

We don't know what sort of culture Daniher taught these blokes, and what effect these guys are having on the current crop of kids. But I find it interesting that very few of the current younger guys have ever mentioned that Cam Bruce is a great mentor. There's always a lot of talk about the leadership of Rivers, Moloney and Jones, but not much of that Daniher-era core group.

Just a thought, shoot me down at will!

Agree on your points about the Daniher era. The sooner it's over then perhaps real improvement will come. We had some really good seasons then but too often we were front runners and dropped off badly come crunch time and the finals.

I can remember too many lost games that we should have won against average or ordinary opposition at critical stages in most seasons.

As for Cam, I think he got a generous run this season. Kept on getting games with bad form whilst others like Dunn, Miller and others were cut quickly after one or two ordinary performances.

Edited by america de cali

Big move to uproot his family to the GC for one extra year.

He could punt that he'll have another good year with us and get an extension at the end of 2011.

He's on our VL and we don't free space by moving him, even at the end of next year so I think we'd keep him if he's still playing well.

At half-back it's Bruce, Grimes and Macdonald at present for 2 spots.

Always interesting to see how dif folks come at topics like this . My stance eminates from the view that the clubi is greater than the individual and priorities follow in that line . The club needs to view Bruces future in that light, whilst Bruce is obviously counter entitled to see things his way. He certainly did last time contracts were up. He saw things very differently then. His indignation at Jnrs demise is humurous relative to his preparedness to hang the club out to dryin the past . double standard Bruce??

If he was greater than his rhetoric he'd tuck his head in, agree to a year, play his arse off and revisit all this next year.

If your colours aren't true blue and red Bruce, not interested in your whinging. All a tad sooki sooki lala from someone who wanted to be taken seriously as a leader !! Seems all has been revealed for what it is .... Petulance !!!

Always interesting to see how dif folks come at topics like this . My stance eminates from the view that the clubi is greater than the individual and priorities follow in that line . The club needs to view Bruces future in that light, whilst Bruce is obviously counter entitled to see things his way. He certainly did last time contracts were up. He saw things very differently then. His indignation at Jnrs demise is humurous relative to his preparedness to hang the club out to dryin the past . double standard Bruce??

If he was greater than his rhetoric he'd tuck his head in, agree to a year, play his arse off and revisit all this next year.

If your colours aren't true blue and red Bruce, not interested in your whinging. All a tad sooki sooki lala from someone who wanted to be taken seriously as a leader !! Seems all has been revealed for what it is .... Petulance !!!

They do, and he is. You have to remember this guy is nearing retirement in a collision sport, where you are potentially one game away from your last every time you step upon the field. It would be neglegent by Bruce as a person not to sort the best deal for his welfare.

Whatever he decides to do is fine by me. He has served us his whole career, i'm not going to begrudge him the oppurtunity to fatten his super account, who am I to do that?

They do, and he is. You have to remember this guy is nearing retirement in a collision sport, where you are potentially one game away from your last every time you step upon the field. It would be neglegent by Bruce as a person not to sort the best deal for his welfare.

Whatever he decides to do is fine by me. He has served us his whole career, i'm not going to begrudge him the oppurtunity to fatten his super account, who am I to do that?

Agree with that. It must be remembered his manager has the task of sorting the best deal for his client and if the sticking point is the length of the contract, options can and I suppose should be explored for the clients welfare. In this case it is Cam Bruce. A couple of years ago it was B.Green during trade week, or be it different circumstances ie. he wasn't over 30 then.

All the emotional ranting directed at Bruce however is hyperbole and is falling on deaf ears.

Not necessarily doubting it BB, but it is only scuttlebut that claims that. Has anyone heard Bruce actually say that. We might be hanging him for something thats pure rumour

Granted somewhat hearsay but such a stance has appeared in quite a few dispatches out of the media. All a bit 'offf the record- I didn't tell you - etc' but he himself hasn't dispelled that view.

Agree on your points about the Daniher era. The sooner it's over then perhaps real improvement will come. We had some really good seasons then but too often we were front runners and dropped off badly come crunch time and the finals.

I can remember too many lost games that we should have won against average or ordinary opposition at critical stages in most seasons.

Short and tainted memories here. People need to remember that MFC actually punched at times above its weight given the list limitations it had that were often countered by the individual performances of White, Neitz and Yze.

As for Cam, I think he got a generous run this season. Kept on getting games with bad form whilst others like Dunn, Miller and others were cut quickly after one or two ordinary performances.

What carp. He was sixth in the Bluey this year. Miller had one good game and Dunn was rubbish until the final six or seven rounds.

Short and tainted memories here. People need to remember that MFC actually punched at times above its weight given the list limitations it had that were often countered by the individual performances of White, Neitz and Yze.

What carp. He was sixth in the Bluey this year. Miller had one good game and Dunn was rubbish until the final six or seven rounds.

People also need to remember that Daniher was there for nearly a decade so the list limitations well and truly became his responsibility towards the latter half of his reign.

i hope he stays on as i feel his leadership will be helpful especially no longer having mcdonald or miller, but if he chooses to leave i wont be to upset coz i think in a year or two he wont be in our top 22.

People also need to remember that Daniher was there for nearly a decade so the list limitations well and truly became his responsibility towards the latter half of his reign.

Salary cap penalties in 1999 and 2000???

Only time we got top 10 draft picks were from the worst draft ever...2003.

Cameron got it wrong on drafting in 2001 and we got little from the draft.

I suspect in the wake of the handling of Jnr's retirement is that Cam may have been told next season will be his last no matter what happens. Thats why he may be looking at other options which may have more to offer. Personally I can't see him playing into 2012 with us given the development requirements of the rest of the list.

Edited by america de cali

Cam certainly was below par for about the first 8-10 rounds.

Rather than limitations of Daniher's list I would say it was more of a matter of squandering opportunities and second half season fadeouts when in strong ladder positions in the period after 2000. I agree with your comments of punching above their weight for the period up to 2000. Interesting you remark on individual performances. A sign of a team of individuals?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Green and Bruce are the only players eligible for veteran status in 2011. On that basis, I don’t really understand the need for the club to hold a firm line and only offer Bruce a one year deal. Bruce has been a very consistent and durable player for a decade now. I also think he is a player who is unlikely to lose his pace. I can see him playing another two years easily.

Why contract a bloke for two when one will fit your requirements? Many are fast and loose spendind the clubs money !! :rolleyes: