• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Will Bruce go to the sunshine?

beelzebub

Bruce to Suns (or other)  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now this is simply to ask the question. It's been reported widely Cameron has been feted by other clubs including GC. He's none too happy with the handling of good mate Junior. Essentially he's up for grabs. Dees only to offer him one year deal. Will he stay ?

Edited by belzebub59

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is simply to ask the question. It's been reported widely Cameron has been deter by other clubs including GC. He's none too happy with the handling of good mate Junior. Essentially he's up for grabs. Dees only to offer him one year deal. Will he stay ?

I don't get why the demons aren't offering him 2 years.

- Green and Bruce and the only players eligible for veteran status, so he isn't taking up any young player's spot on the list

- he's in our best 10 players and has performed as such consistently for the last 8 years

- he is a versatile player and has a spot in our defence 100%

- he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, he played some great footy towards the end of the year

He has also been captain several times when McDonald has been injured. is clearly a leader at the club and would be a chance for the captaincy.

Plus, as a veteran, half his salary is outside the cap, so its not like he's clogging up our salary cap.

Just give him 2 years and $450K per year. His output means he provides value for money, and only half that salary is actually inside the cap.

IMO he will go. It will purely be a money / football career move. I believe he would love to finish his career with melbourne. As suggested he was not happy with the way Junior was forced to "retire" and that same tactic may well be used on him in the next 12 months. Were as more $$$ and extending his fantastic career would be to hard to resist pressuming he wants to continue at AFL level.

Unfortunatly our great game is experiencing a change in the way players are handled especially towards the ends of the their careers. IMO we will see more players switch clubs (as we are aware that free trade is nearly here anyway)

- Green and Bruce and the only players eligible for veteran status, so he isn't taking up any young player's spot on the list

- he's in our best 10 players and has performed as such consistently for the last 8 years

- he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, he played some great footy towards the end of the year

He has also been captain several times when McDonald has been injured. is clearly a leader at the club and would be a chance for the captaincy.

Plus, as a veteran, half his salary is outside the cap, so its not like he's clogging up our salary cap.

Just give him 2 years and $450K per year. His output means he provides value for money, and only half that salary is actually inside the cap.

I agree with most, except i think he has slowed a bit. Not that he was ever super quick, but slower than 4-5 years ago. However he is a pretty smart footballer and still has alot to offer

Just mt thoughts . Precedent by club only 1 year deals when wrong side of 30 ! That and maybe club now plays hardball .. And remembers Cam little dance last time at table !!!

As suggested he was not happy with the way Junior was forced to "retire" and that same tactic may well be used on him in the next 12 months.

I don't see why. Bruce leaving will only open up a spot on our rookie list. No-one is able to go onto our veteran's list until the Russian in 2013 (I believe).

IMO I can't see the club valuing a 3rd to 4th round rookie pick over Bruce next year. Got me baffled why they're not offering him 2 years.

......Unless the veteran's list takes in time spent on the rookie list. Then my point is moot, as Jamar can go onto the veteran's list for 2012.

Bruce has only been offered a 1 year deal and asked to take a paycut. His wife is keen to move to the gc. I think Bruce is worthy of a 2 year deal. He has had a good season and he is a player that doesnt get injured. Also he will be on the veterans list so I dont see money will be a problem. I hope he stays so we still have some older experienced players.

Now this is simply to ask the question. It's been reported widely Cameron has been feted by other clubs including GC. He's none too happy with the handling of good mate Junior. Essentially he's up for grabs. Dees only to offer him one year deal. Will he stay ?

what was wrong with the handling of junior. he was given the captaincy when it could have easily gone to green. yes, he was a good captain but thats not enough. for the sake of one year, because thats all it would have been , the time was right. bailey has said `getting x amount of games into the kids so they grow together`. if bruce has only been offered one year, to me thats fair. no , im not saying get rid of everyone over a certain age. give kids game time, some wont be ready but for the ones that are , why hold them back. bailey has the balls to make the hard decisions, in the future if this trend continues we shouldnt have to bottom out entirely again.

It looks like we're well & truly underway into playing the newbreed. The newbies are more adept at learning the new gamestyles of todays footy & we have a lot of kids that need the spots they require to find the onfield development time.

My choice was to retain McDonald, a great clubman & leader. After that he's gone we may as well clear the decks.

I would have given Bruce 1Yr on the back of his 2nd half of the year. But NOT more than 1Yr.

We must keep moving forward with the kids.

Sorry Sylvinator have to disagree with the vast majority of your post.

I feel that he's slipped signifantly this year from being in our best 10 players, certainly not in our most valuable 10 players at the club. Whilst he may have valuable experience, I believe that he's actually holding back the progress of the next generation.

I'd contend that he's holding back the development of a defensive group consisting of Macdonald, Grimes, Bennell, potentially Strauss and Cheney from playing off the HBF or backpocket. Coupled with where Bartram and potentially Blease (as he played a vast amount of his VFL games of the HBF) fit into the equation, I'd contend that he may find it difficult fulfilling a role in Bailey's plan from 2012 onwards (thus a 1 year offer and not 2).

An offer of $450K per year for 2 yrs? - Surely this is way over his value. If Davey is worth $450K a year in his prime (of his rumoured $1.8 over 4 yrs), how does Bruce compare? As a financially responsible club going forward, why should the MFC put themselves in a position where it could bite them where it hurts?

The word around the traps is that GC has offered him two years plus $450,000 more than what Melbourne is offering. The only problem for Bruce is that he hates flying, which he would be doing a lot of if he went to the GC. And then he has to think about what he does after he retires. Would he better staying here. All this is in the mix, I've been told

I feel that he's slipped signifantly this year from being in our best 10 players, certainly not in our most valuable 10 players at the club. Whilst he may have valuable experience, I believe that he's actually holding back the progress of the next generation.

Our B&F results of the past 8 years beg to differ.

Bruce is criminally underrated on this site. deserves 2 years imo

Whether hes on the vets list or not...money IS money!! He did REALLY well out of the club last going round and quite frankly its a bit rich for him/or anyone to suggest hes worth near what hes getting ) ave over the thre years ) to go forward. The club is dead right for mine to offer reduced salary and only one year.

Happy to wish him all the luck in Pineappleland if thats his desire...just got back myself and the weather's fine ..lol

Footy is now a whole hearted business.

Im not going to either praise him nor deride hm. He is what he is. I think the club is looking at getting more games into a few guys and Bruce wont figure in those plans beyond 2011 at best.

Maybe his best play is OPTION 2!! how many years you want to play superman ??

Our B&F results of the past 8 years beg to differ.

Bruce is criminally underrated on this site. deserves 2 years imo

Not contending that he hasn't done well in our B&F, rather than I see him holding back some of our young players development (particularly in 2012). My rationale is if we are to get more games into Garland, Grimes, Blease, Strauss and potentially Bartram and Cheney to develop the team into a dynasty as a regular premiership challenger, who are the unlucky players holding them back? I see Bruce, whilst valuable next year as being a hinderance from 2012 onwards.

It looks like we're well & truly underway into playing the newbreed. The newbies are more adept at learning the new gamestyles of todays footy & we have a lot of kids that need the spots they require to find the onfield development time.

My choice was to retain McDonald, a great clubman & leader. After that he's gone we may as well clear the decks.

I would have given Bruce 1Yr on the back of his 2nd half of the year. But NOT more than 1Yr.

We must keep moving forward with the kids.

Agree- if his position warrants it after one year then we look at it again.I think Cam has got most probably 3 to 4 years still left in him but we have to put our FD stategy into place.I too, thought Junior had a good year left in him.

Not contending that he hasn't done well in our B&F, rather than I see him holding back some of our young players development (particularly in 2012). My rationale is if we are to get more games into Garland, Grimes, Blease, Strauss and potentially Bartram and Cheney to develop the team into a dynasty as a regular premiership challenger, who are the unlucky players holding them back? I see Bruce, whilst valuable next year as being a hinderance from 2012 onwards.

we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think Bruce is holding anyone back.

Garland, Grimes and Bartram played every game this year that they were fit to play in, because they are good players and deserve their spot in the team.

Strauss, Blease and Cheney will also have a spot waiting for them if they're good enough. If they work hard, perform at vfl level, Bruce will not be keeping them out of the team. It's not like Bruce, or Bartram, of Joel McDonald are superstars of the afl. If they play well enough, the spot is theirs for the taking. They haven't been played till now bc they haven't developed to the required level to deserve a spot at afl level (or injuries have prevented them).

Plus, the good thing about Bruce is that he is versatile. If Strauss has a break-out season next year and takes his spot at half back, Bruce will simply change his position where the team needs, whether that be on a wing, of half forward, or as a tagger. He's a clever player and has performed in our top10 players each and every year for the past 8 years. that should count for something!

MFC has come into its next stage of development. No longer is the sole priority to pump games into young player. We have evolved from that. Now we still want to pump games into players, but we are now also considering whether they deserve their spot in the team and whether they are performing to an adequate level to deserve their senior spot in the team. We saw that in the latter half of the year with Morton and Bate being dropped.

I would like BRUCE to sign with the Dee's. But if he is only offered a 1 year contract he is gone. You could'nt blame him.

Too sign with GC or another rival club would be in his best interest. A 2 year contract and more money elsewhere is most likely.

Sad too say. BRUCE is gone!!! Pushed...

Cameron Bruce is over 30 and a 10 year player.

Personally i think a 1 year contract is good business-If he plays well next year well then he gets another contract.

Those kicks of his, & those Hammies are not getting any younger, sorry but thats the reality.

I like Brucey but if we want to win a flag(s) any player over 30 has to be managed yearly.

The speed of the game is increasing every year....The Club has to Fair to itself. Cam has been well paid over the journey & a great servant of the MFC, if he wishes to play in september again. He will stay.

GC17 will not play finals while Cameron is there....

I would love to see him be our player to GC for a second round pick. No disrespect, he's been a good player for this club. However he's not going to be in our premiership side so lets open up a spot for someone who is.

1 year is all we should give him. Wouldn't mind if he didn't take it.

Has been a pretty good servant over the years but the game has really caught him out.

Or his skills have just gone backwards. Brucey doesn't cut it for me and is a liability when

he has the ball most of the time.

Like many here, I would love to see Cam Bruce as a one club player. However, (perhaps sadly), there is no room for sentiment in modern list management. A one year contract seems appropriate to me, and if warranted by form and consistency, a further deal could be struck at the end of 2011.