Jonesy!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

It's making a big assumption that GWS would want to trade him or that they will trade him to Adelaide. I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works but there seem to many variables there.

demons may lose viney

what the hell do adelaide think they are doing!..

they can go jump seriously.

do the right thing jack!

They're just explaining to him his options whether go father-son or if he wants to play footy in SA, there is a loophole path. I would read the quote by Rendell and forget the rest.

I do wonder why the AFL have changed the rules several times. And I query the 4 x 17 yo rule...simply why have it ?

To get where we wanna go we've got catch a break here and there , snaffling a Father/Son or 2 would go along way toward that .

Lets hope Todd points him in the right direction .

If he wants to join the Crows, let him. I know he is super talented but we need players that want to be part of the club, not need to be convinced.

IMO our young midfield is amazing as is, would be great to add Jack Viney, but he needs to pick us because he wants to play for us.

Fingers crossed he picks us!

Reminds me of the talk last year around this time that Carlton were going to try to prove Scully's Dad was an old Blues player. :D

This kid could be the cream on the top of the cake that finishes the recipe. Our Joel Selwood.

People think our recruiting is finished... but we still need two or three more big names.... or at least names that have the capacity to become big.

And let's not forget that in two years when he's available, we'll likely be in the top 8. The other clubs will DEFINITELY bid us up to the point that we use our first rounder... Let's say we get pick 10-12... If it doesn't end up being Jack, it will still be a very handy player.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

As to my earlier post: can somebody explain that if he does decide not to go F/S and GWS pick him up why 1/ they wouldn't keep him, and 2/ why Adelaide will necessarily be able to out bid everyone else on the trade table?

From what I've read and heard about Jack Viney he doesn't come across as one of those mummy's boys who prefers the comforts of home to the tough challenges. He sounds more like his old man who also left his home to play for an interstate club. I know the Crows didn't exist when Todd's career started but they were there in the early days and he resisted the lure of going back to Adelaide and became a club champion and a captain. Things like that run deep.

It's making a big assumption that GWS would want to trade him or that they will trade him to Adelaide. I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works but there seem to many variables there.

Yes-GWS could indeed keep him or offer him around to the best package. Viney could or would become trade bait.If he doesn't want to come then stiff.

As to my earlier post: can somebody explain that if he does decide not to go F/S and GWS pick him up why 1/ they wouldn't keep him, and 2/ why Adelaide will necessarily be able to out bid everyone else on the trade table?

My thoughts exactly. At this stage, Jack would be unlikely to be one of the players GWS gives up whilst under contract - surely that provision is in place so they can offload the four 17yo they least want after seeing them first hand. Why waste this screening process on a kid they know they won't keep? Even if they did go down this path, another club might make a substantially better offer.

To be honest, there's no sure fire recipe for Jack staying in Adelaide and if he really doesn't want to leave home, why risk being signed early by GWS? He'd be better off to just wait until the draft and hope he slides until the Crows' pick. The only certain outcomes he can hope for are F/S at the Demons or early signing by GWS.

I'm not too concerned by this article. Seems like Adelaide grasping at a pretty short straw. Our main competition for Jack is (and always has been) GWS.

So let me get this right, this kid is a gun and GWS will just trade him back to Adelaide. Adelaide will use the Bock pick this year, they need to start to rebuild no point waiting for 3 years even if your pick comes forward by 7 picks and they have a few spots on there list available.

There is a hole in the Adelaide's logic. They are presuming that Todd has ambitions of remaining an assistant coach at Adelaide for years to come.

Jack can stay in Adelaide with his Dad while he finishes year 12 by doing nothing, and next year make a call on whether to put his name down for the father son rule. Every chance his dad may be looking at moving at some stage anyway and Jack has only been in Adelaide for 12 months. He must have other family and friends in Melbourne anyway.

By choosing the GWS-Adelaide option he could end up in Adelaide in 2012 without his family, or even worse if the deal only hald happened he could end up in Sydney at GWS wihtout family or friends.

Isn't Jack born and bred in Melbourne?

I understand Todd is from SA but I thought Jack had lived in Melbourne all his life up until 2 or 3 years ago, when Todd left the Hawks for the Crows.

The article and the Crows carry on as if Jack has lived in SA his entire life. I don't think you can compare the Marc Murphy or Ben Cousins situations, they were born and bred in Victoria and WA respectively, with no geographical connection whatsoever to the clubs chasing them.

Edited by torpedo

Just media speculation.

Nothing new here.

Its the same rule a F/S prospect either chooses the F/S option or goes into the draft (eg Marc Murphy). In this case its GWS. There is no certainty they would trade to Adelaide.

My thoughts exactly RR.

This is nothing more then SA media beat up.

There would be no guarentee that GWS would trade Viney or even that Adelaide could satisfy a trade. Viney has the same options available to him that any father son has, I'm confident that we'll see him in the Red & Blue, for all reports Chris Connolly has had very positive talks with the Viney's for some time now.

Did he just have a ripper of a game or something? Don't really understand the timing of releasing this article. Jack was all the talk a month and a bit ago with the under 16 national champs but now the focus is on finals... Pretty sure that this will fizzle out and be non-story very quickly