Changes for next week

s-t-i-n-g-a

Jurrah saved himself form the chop with a good performance with Miller breathing down his neck.

You would think Moloney would be ready this week and although there were some good performances in the VFL he would be the only one likely to push his way into the side.

I just can't see anyone who I would come out for him. Jones is the only one with a target on his back, and would be stiff to miss.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we dont get much from Wonameeri. I have looked for the value others refer to, but would play maric.

Jamie Bennell's last few weeks haven't been great, and Wona's form looks to be on the up and up.

Perhaps Bennell for Moloney, although if Beamer's now missed what 3 or 4 weeks? with this corky, it wouldn't surprise if he came back thru the VFL.

In: Moloney

Out: Jones

Harsh on Jonesy, but it's the same story from last week. Moloney is better, and the pressure for spots is intense at the moment.

I think Aussie does invaluable ground level work, and his pressure is good, and Bennell finally got his hands on the footy when he was sent to half back. I want to see him down there again next weekend. Back to where it started.

Also would love to have Warnock back in the side to take on Roughead, but you can't drop any defender at the moment.

Chip's biggest test of the season coming up next week.

I think we dont get much from Wonameeri. I have looked for the value others refer to, but would play maric.

Wona was good today i thought!

His forward pressure is unbelievable (averaging something like 4 or 5 'tackles inside forward-50' per match since coming back), his field kicking is crisp & tidy, and he generally remains balanced and composed under pressure. His value is more than the possessions and goals he kicks, but the goals he creates thru tackling pressure and/or assists.

I thought he was better than Bennell again today (who he is in direct competition with for a spot in the 22 IMO), and Maric was pretty ordinary at Casey yesterday, as was Jetta (who hurt his shoulder).

was it just me or did aussie get caught with the ball alot. didnt get pinned for holding as he got disposal off. but just lacked acceleration

I reckon he just hung on to it too long when he had options. One where he could have kicked to the square, didn't for some reason, and went to ground to avoid a tackle, lost the pill.

Credit to the tiges for applying the pressure for so long, and credit to us for weathering the storm until finally we got some sunshine in our forward line.

We have to keep the run and speed in the side!!!

If Miller comes in it has to be for one of Watts, Jurrah or PJ. I wouldn't think we'd be dropping Watts or Jurrah so maybe PJ comes out or Miller doesn't come in.

Warnock for Rivers? The question has to be asked but I think the answer is probably not. Cheney in? I wouldn't think so.

If Moloney comes I'd like to drop an inside player to keep our speed. Unfortunately Jones is in good form and its hard to drop the skipper, McKenzie or Trengove. Maybe Bail goes down back again and Bennell comes out. Then Sylvia plays more up forward.

A difficult week ahead at selection.

Dont know who deserves to be dropped but the guys i would think were in the headlights would be first of all down back

Bartram and possible Bennell along with Jones

Deserving ins would be Miller and to a lesser extent Cheney

Isnt it a good dilema to have when youre winning

Bennell shows his class when he gets the ball. Ok he didn't get a hell of a lot of it today but when he does he cuts the opposition apart. If people can't see that then they are blind. That is why they persist with him.

Perhaps he has found that home for now at half back/wing.

Jones showed today why he is in our best 22. His attack at the contest is second to none. He creates pressure and he goes at the thing like a bull at a gate. When things were looking bad he was one of the few having a real dip and winning the hard ball. His disposal efficiency was also above 80% today. I love having him there to help out Scully/trengove and McKenzie.

Moloney will surely come back through the two's now having missed 4 weeks (that's if he comes back at all or they might just put him on ice).

How could anyone suggest bringing in Maric. He was horrible at Casey and like Miller, has shown repeatedly that he doesn't take his chances and improve.

I asked the bloke i was sitting with whether a bloke kicking 10 goals in the reserves would see him in the team the next week. Miller is not the future of the club but i also believe that you have to show that you will reward good pereformances in the two's. Jurrah was very good today (aside from a couple of dropped marks and missed goals), that kind of output each week is what we want.

I can't see who to drop to bring in Miller. Barring injuries or perhaps the enforced 'resting' of a youngster, he may not get in.

was it just me or did aussie get caught with the ball alot. didnt get pinned for holding as he got disposal off. but just lacked acceleration

I noticed that, although to me it looked as though he intentionally held the footy that little bit longer, rather than just handballing in hope to space or a poor/manned option.

Not so much a lack of accleration IMO, just flat-footed at the contest a couple of times. His closing-speed while chasing from behind was good, and suggests he's getting somewhere near full pace again.

In: Moloney

Out: Jones

Harsh on Jonesy, but it's the same story from last week. Moloney is better, and the pressure for spots is intense at the moment.

I think Aussie does invaluable ground level work, and his pressure is good, and Bennell finally got his hands on the footy when he was sent to half back. I want to see him down there again next weekend. Back to where it started.

Also would love to have Warnock back in the side to take on Roughead, but you can't drop any defender at the moment.

Chip's biggest test of the season coming up next week.

Moloney must come in, but you can't drop jones on the game today.

One of Benny and Aussie may go. Benny is probably the least-well(worst) performed player over the last few weeks, but his speed is really damaging and creates goals. We are pretty well covered down back with MacD, bail, bruce, barty etc and don't need him there (plus his disposal is a risk). Aussie is not as fast, but he has tended to get more of the ball and his pressure has been better. Tough one and it will come down to matchups, I'd favour dropping benny. Could push Bail forward to replace either.

Warnock played a great game for casey, but as you said i don't think you can drop any of our defenders. Rivers would probably be the man for Roughead. Frawley could take Buddy, or Garland has previously done a good job on him which could release chip for some rebounding

here we go again... after every win we have to find 'the weak link' to enable a key player back in. All sorts of options are thrown up as to who will get the axe. Wonna did exactly what he needs to do... Seriously, stop trusting your eye witness view if you think he was a weak link today. Go back and watch the replay... check how many times Wonna was involved in chains that lead to scores (on a number of occasions, Goals!). Who else can we drop? Benny... yeah Benny. The thing that has every other club freting about at the moment is our leg speed, but lets drop one of the quicks! INJURIES will dictate how Moloney will resume his former position. MacDonald got crunched (still managed to start the next goal chain with a quick handball whilst he was being called to the bench). Jones is playing his best football but lets drop him! Bullocks! Sylvia got smashed a couple of times and maybe Scully is sick of having his head pounded into the turf at the bottom of the pack. Chill... stop back stabbing blokes who had a red-hot go in a must win situation. Selection will take care of itself, but blokes won't be discaded from that team for poor effort!

Edited by waynewussell

here we go again... after every win we have to find 'the weak link' to enable a key player back in. All sorts of options are thrown up as to who will get the axe. Wonna did exactly what he needs to do... Seriously, stop trusting your eye witness view if you think he was a weak link today. Go back and watch the replay... check how many times Wonna was involved in chains that lead to scores (on a number of occasions, Goals!). Who else can we drop? Benny... yeah Benny. The thing that has every other club freting about at the moment is our leg speed, but lets drop one of the quicks! INJURIES will dictate how Moloney will resume his former position. MacDonald got crunched (still managed to start the next goal chain with a quick handball whilst he was being called to the bench). Jones is playing his best football but lets drop him! Bullocks! Sylvia got smashed a couple of times and maybe Scully is sick of having his head pounded into the turf at the bottom of the pack. Chill... stop back stabbing blokes who had a red-hot go in a must win situation. Selection will take care of itself, but blokes won't be discaded from that team for poor effort!

Not sure why it's such a big deal. Do you dispute that someone should make way for Moloney? Where is the harm in trying to apply grey matter (admittedly there's probably not a great deal of grey matter being utilised in this particular thread) to figure out the best way to improve the team?

Anyway, my thoughts on the matter at hand are that Moloney is surely on the cusp of being out for too long to come straight back in now. If that's the case then no change.

Miller is a chance. 10 goals will see the FD at least think of replacing PJ with Miller. Could be useful in a game against Hawthorn with a bit more grunt & presence. Hawks rucks aren't much.

Heard about Chip having some ankle trouble, hopefully comes up ok. Warnock doing everything right at Casey but no one doing anything wrong for the Dees, down back. Chip is extraordinary!

Not sure if Moloney will come straight back, missed a few weeks now.

Gee I miss Jack Grimes.

Guest Thomo

In my opinion, changes will depend on what Melbourne want from this season. If this season is still all about getting games into youngster with a focus on the future, no change with Maloney coming back through Casey.

If they want to win games and do something in finals this year, and if I was a selector (obviously I'm not, never will be), I would make a couple of changes that I don't think anyone else will agree with.

In: Miller, Moloney

Out: Watts, Scully

Right now Miller gives more to the team than Watts, even without the ten goals yesterday, taking out age, potential development and planning for the future, his average game is better than Jacks. I think Watts will be a superstar, and he is progressing ok, but he is not in the team at the moment based on performance. Miller is in form at the lower level, and deserves to be promoted based on 10 goals, and hard work. It also sends a message that players will be picked on form. It's hard to justify dropping Jones when Watts still gets a game. He was not bad today, but out of the players that Miller would be competing with, Watts, Jurah, Dunn and maybe Green, the other three were better today.

I also believe, that on current form Scully should make way for Moloney, who is clearly best 22 and plays a similar role. Again, not popular, but Scully's disposal is not up to AFL standard at the moment. He gets a lot of touches, and works his heart out, but often he handballs to teammates feet, and bombs it long to contests, or his passes are not accurate enough so it ends up being a contest. I think he will be very good, and I love his work rate, but his disposal needs serious work if he is going to be the champion that I hope he will be. At this stage he has gone straight from junior football to the highest league, so he might be trying to do too much. Maybe a couple of weeks at Casey with the slower pace will give him a chance to work on his weaknesses.

But if we are picking the side for the future, next week’s not that important and Molony can come back through Casey, and Miller can start thinking about next year.

I would only makes these changes if we want to win next week and want to win some finals, otherwise, no change.

However, I also thought Dunn should not be on an AFL list, Joel MacDonald and Rohan Bail were bad draft picks, and we should have hung onto Simon Buckley.

In my opinion, changes will depend on what Melbourne want from this season. If this season is still all about getting games into youngster with a focus on the future, no change with Maloney coming back through Casey.

If they want to win games and do something in finals this year, and if I was a selector (obviously I'm not, never will be), I would make a couple of changes that I don't think anyone else will agree with.

Right now Miller gives more to the team than Watts, even without the ten goals yesterday, taking out age, potential development and planning for the future, his average game is better than Jacks. I think Watts will be a superstar, and he is progressing ok, but he is not in the team at the moment based on performance. Miller is in form at the lower level, and deserves to be promoted based on 10 goals, and hard work. It also sends a message that players will be picked on form. It's hard to justify dropping Jones when Watts still gets a game. He was not bad today, but out of the players that Miller would be competing with, Watts, Jurah, Dunn and maybe Green, the other three were better today.

I also believe, that on current form Scully should make way for Moloney, who is clearly best 22 and plays a similar role. Again, not popular, but Scully's disposal is not up to AFL standard at the moment. He gets a lot of touches, and works his heart out, but often he handballs to teammates feet, and bombs it long to contests, or his passes are not accurate enough so it ends up being a contest. I think he will be very good, and I love his work rate, but his disposal needs serious work if he is going to be the champion that I hope he will be. At this stage he has gone straight from junior football to the highest league, so he might be trying to do too much. Maybe a couple of weeks at Casey with the slower pace will give him a chance to work on his weaknesses.

But if we are picking the side for the future, next week’s not that important and Molony can come back through Casey, and Miller can start thinking about next year.

I would only makes these changes if we want to win next week and want to win some finals, otherwise, no change.

However, I also thought Dunn should not be on an AFL list, Joel MacDonald and Rohan Bail were bad draft picks, and we should have hung onto Simon Buckley.

Wow!! I thought Scully was excepetional today. Especially his last quarter. Wow??!

No amount of finals chances will make our match committee drop these two guys. Scully had probably his second best game ever today, and Watts is a VITAL part of our future and he has to get as much experience as possible.

It would be incredibly short sighted of us to go down this path, even if finals are still a possibility. Because what good will playing finals be, if we don't make finals with the team that we think will ultimately win us a premiership? I guarantee you that Miller won't be part of that team, even though I've been a fan for years and appreciate him for forging a 100-game career on nothing but heart.

Bennell?

Sealed the game when it was in the balance.

Watch the game next time.

Well said. Minutes before that effort to seal the game he was in the back pocket MCC side putting in big time and runnning backwards to spoil. Its sad for Brad Miller but IMO the forward line today is the one to take forward. Jurrah, 4 Goals 4 and 18 dispoalsa with hardly any 2010 game time. Just leave him.

Watts will continue to develop and the leg speed is our unique trait that will worry most sides. See both games against the pies for example. I believe Beamer and Jones need to be in together to provide some horsepower to look after scully/trengove et al for a while.

Anybody who thinks Miller comes in for Watts........ have a look at Watt's last quarter. The kick across the ground to end up in a Brad Green goal, and the kick to Dunn who was left unmarked in the goal square after a great faked kick.

There is no way Miller makes either play. The kid has vision. and our vision is the future.

NO CHANGE

(Scully out, ummmmmm no.)