Out: Cheney

Backs: Garland, Rivers, MacDonald

Half backs: Bartram, Frawley, Bruce

Centres: Scully, Moloney, Trengove

Half forwards: Bail, Bate, Green

Forwards: Jurrah, Watts, Sylvia

Followers: Jamar, Davey, McKenzie

Interchange: Bennell, Dunn, Johnson, Jones

McDonald if fit and Morton are a chance.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Subiaco is a big ground - it’s more of a kicking ground and you have got to cover the kilometers at Subi, otherwise you will run out of gas,” he said in his post-match media conference.

“We might look at picking a more running time next week, but the guys who performed well today will at least get the opportunity next week.

“It’s a different game, a different surface, different opposition.”

Dean Bailey.

In: Bail

Backs: Garland, Rivers, MacDonald

Half backs: Bartram, Frawley, Bruce

Centres: Scully, Moloney, Trengove

Half forwards: Bail, Bate, Green

Forwards: Jurrah, Watts, Sylvia

Followers: Jamar, Davey, McKenzie

Interchange: Bennell, Dunn, Johnson, Jones

McDonald if fit and Morton are a chance.

Morton wasn't named in the "best players" in Casey's 10-point win over Frankston... :/

As per the MFC website... Bailey has made it known their could be some changes going into next week's match vs Subi as the ground is more of a "kicking ground".

- Sounds as though Warnock was the best for Casey this week

- Bail was also prominent.

- I'd like to persist with Cheney though. Give him more than 2 matches to string together!!

IN: Warnock, Bail, McDonald (??)

OUT: Bennell, Bartram (rest), McKenzie (if Macca is back)

Edit: in reply to disco_demon... I thought Joel Mac was solid.

Edited by DeezMan

I would have thought Jamar could go it alone, in order to bring in Bail. When (not if) we run out of legs on that ground, we'll regret not having more legs, no matter how many we have.

The notion that Subi is a kicking ground pretty well rules out Cheney. His kicking is the biggest weakness in his game. Likewise I question Joel MacDonald's kicking and decision-making. Bartram is another with abysmal kicking, so has to be in consideration. Therefore I'd be quite happy to see any of them sit out. I can see PJ getting another run because of the distances involved. It's just cruel to ask one ruck to do all the work out there. Morton has a huge tank and is regarded as a very good kick, so could be a good shot at coming into the side. Likewise Bail is hard running and has good disposal.

My changes:

In - Morton, Bail

Out - 2 of Bartram, Cheney and MacDonald.

first player to get dropped... MacDonald

Are you kidding? MacDonald was really good today, in fact i couldn't really think of any key moments he stuffed up.

In: Bail, Junior (if fit)

Out: Cheney, Bartram (depending on junior)

The only other thought i'd have on changes is Paul Johnson coming out, but i don't think there's anyone to come in for him so he gets a reprieve so Jamar can catch his breath!

IN: Morton & Bail

OUT: Bartram & Cheney

Mcdonald will not have the km's in the legs to get through a full game on subi. Two great runners with nice foot skills replace two players with below par foot skills

Edited by deeflog

"Subiaco is a big ground - it's more of a kicking ground and you have got to cover the kilometers at Subi, otherwise you will run out of gas," he said in his post-match media conference.

"We might look at picking a more running time next week, but the guys who performed well today will at least get the opportunity next week.

"It's a different game, a different surface, different opposition."

Dean Bailey.

Sounds like Bail & Morton?,,, Jnr Mcdonald... Not too many changes..

Edited by dee-luded

IN Bail , Morton , Warnock

OUT - PJ , Cheney , Bartram

IC Spencer to help Jamar out

Pretty sure Spencer is injured. PJ was ordinary today but I`d rather him against Sandilands when Jamar needs a rest.

IN either Warnock or Bail (depending on matchups)

OUT Cheney

Morton has played on Subi plenty of times and may get a gig, at the expense of who?, I dont know!

Cheney is the only obvious one to be dropped. I don't know what his problem is, he's either slow or he thinks he is faster than he is. I think he is quicker than he shows but he only runs at 3/4 pace. He's obviously not lightning but doesn't do himself any favours by strolling. I noticed it this week and especially last week. In particular there was a moment when he got the ball on the wing and was clear, but just jogged away from the contest and within 10 or so steps was caught. Had he put in 4 or 5 steps of 'sprinting' he would never have been caught.

If the pace he shows in his general play is flat out he won't make it.

In: Bail

Edited by hells bells

Bartram is not getting dropped.

Out: PJ, Cheney

In: Bail, Morton or Warnock depending on defensive match-ups

We need run, and we can't afford to carry a second ruckman who does very little. Cheney can't kick, so he's out. We need some class from half-back which is where I'd like Morton to come in, and Bail picks himself now that he's fit again.

I don't want to risk Junior at Subi, even if he is right to go, because after a while out he's going to run out of legs, and we honestly can't afford that over there.

That means Jamar goes with Sandilands. When Sandilands has a rest, Dunn goes up in the ruck. We've done it before, and it didn't seem to hurt us.

why would we drop bartram, again had a good match

IN

bail and morton

OUT

Cheney and pj

i seem to recall morton has a good subi record, not only that but he is one of our best runners and he has good disposal by foot.

Bail, hard runner, good disposal, perfect for subi.

cheney out, due to lack of disposal and running, he will get ran clean off his feet.

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

IN

bail and morton

OUT

Cheney and pj

i seem to recall morton has a good subi record, not only that but he is one of our best runners and he has good disposal by foot.

cheney out, due to lack of disposal and running, he will get ran clean off his feet.

I agree this is the most likely. Junior is the big question mark and may force Morton aside if they are going to play him.

IN

bail and morton

OUT

Cheney and pj

agree whole heartedly with bartram, thought he did a very nice job on alwyn davey today, and can see him going straight to ballentyne next week.

dunno if jamar can cover the ground solo vs sandi, but maybe, col sylvia vs sandi in the ruck would be interesting!

morton/bail for cheney definate

mcdonald in if fit,the other one of bail/morton in for pj if we go with 1 ruck

jetta a sneaky chance

IN Bail, Warnock

OUT Cheney PJ

Junior may come back requiring another out

Those suggesting Bennell...this is is is home turf..and he can run...might just be the space and game he needs

Gee there are some strange omissions within this thread!?

Why would we make three changes? As suggested above from Bailey's article that we may look to add speed in the side.

From this and adding in that he has been in the top two and has speed:

IN - BAIL...no doubt!

OUT - Cheney. Could be Johnson but likely to hold on to counter Sandilands

If junior is ready which I doubt he will be, it is going to come down to McKenzie or Jones IMO. We have to play one of Cheney or Bartram and Bartram, although I am not a massive fan is not doing a lot wrong. Cheney plays taller but uses the ball as badly as Bartram but doesn't play as tight, has to be Bartram there. Only option to this that I see is that McKenzie possibly playing as the tagging back pocket player? Jones can't do this.

Poor Cheney... absolutely no love for the guy at all.

Bailey commended Rivers, Garland and CHENEY for their spoiling against the Dons (in particular Garland). All three were rock solid.

To me... maybe Bartram should miss the match vs Freo. Cheney has had only 2 matches to string together. And a total of 2 matches in total for 2010 :/

Poor Cheney... absolutely no love for the guy at all.

Bailey commended Rivers, Garland and CHENEY for their spoiling against the Dons (in particular Garland). All three were rock solid.

To me... maybe Bartram should miss the match vs Freo. Cheney has had only 2 matches to string together. And a total of 2 matches in total for 2010 :/

He and Bartram are really different in how they play. Cheney certainly has it over Bartram in marking, spoiling. He shows plenty of courage for the most part in marking contests and zones off well at times, but this can be a weakness also because he leaves his opponent on the ground.

Bartram plays a lot closer to his man than Cheney and would prefer the ball to hit the ground and scrap to kill the ball or allow another fellow defender to come through.

They are both fairly ordinary with their disposal. Bartram I reckon understands or is starting to understand this limitation and looks to make space for someone else while keeping his man at bay.

I wouldn't be against Cheney being given some more time but it would have to be at the expense of Bartram and realise that more goals are likely to be given away.

There was an interesting point yesterday when PJ went up in the ruck but it was actually Col who punched the ball away. Leave PJ in because he does provide another tall and I think Jamar was better for having the longer breaks yesterday. Cheney was in my opinion almost useless. He had a couple of tackles but that was it. I would prefer that Joel Mac stays. He just seems to have the football nous that Cheney doesnt have. If Junior is fit why wouldnt you play him at Subiaco. He is our leader and if fit should play. (Listening to him yesterday on the radio it would seem that he is playing on next year.)

In: Bail, Junior Mc,

Out: Cheney and ????

IN Bail , Morton , Warnock

OUT - PJ , Cheney , Bartram

IC Spencer to help Jamar out

I agree..Spencer to try to nullify Sandilands. Bail in for Bartram, Warnock to cover backline and is better than Cheney. I was a rap for Cheney , however over the last two weeks since his recall- I question ,if he up to it.

Cheney won't be dropped,he's playing the Grimes role while he's out.

You're all saying drop Cheney and bring in Bail,he can't play the Grimes/Cheney role.I liked Cheney's game yesterday especially when he went back into the pack and knew he was going to get hammered.

Cheney is handy to have on our list because when Grimes or Bartram is out,he'll slot right in and when he gets 40-50 games under his belt,i'd have him in for Bartram.