This weeks team

gOLLy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would really want to do better than rely on that. Dropping marks and poor disposal are not the hallmarks of a leader.

Agreed, but he's in, so we have to wonder why. Perhaps his leadership is the reason. Or, as Jaded suggested, he's being given games in an attempt to figure out once and for all whether he has a future here. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Strange! two key defenders out, for two mids?

Well they've dropped Henderson, and they have a smallish forwardline, so it makes sense.

Their midfield is their strength, so we'll need plenty of rotations to run them off their feet at the G.

Can he play small to start with?

Not fast enough for the smalls. Not strong enough for the talls.

He would really want to do better than rely on that. Dropping marks and poor disposal are not the hallmarks of a leader.

Rhino...I find myself agreeing once again.

I've a feeling that Warnock may have gone out to keep Rivers because I will always stick by the call that Riv is an excellent defender as a loose man....one on one has been proven to struggle. Knowing that Carlton like to run the ball into the forward line and go to the space, Riv could have a good day reading the play all afternoon.....Warnock not suited to this. Having said that Grimes can do this also but with Riv floating Grimes can be more damaging......no Brock..DamN!

Mclean dropped as well!

Have Carlton left him out because of the added incentive it would give us to roll them?

Personally I'm disappointed. I had been rolling out some beautiful "booing" practice this week. :lol:

Well they've dropped Henderson, and they have a smallish forwardline, so it makes sense.

Their midfield is their strength, so we'll need plenty of rotations to run them off their feet at the G.

Scuse me! Kreuzer, O'Hailpin, Waite, Houlihan at around 188 and Carazzo a bit shorter, is not a small forward line.

Scuse me! Kreuzer, O'Hailpin, Waite, Houlihan at around 188 and Carazzo a bit shorter, is not a small forward line.

We've got enough height options IF their forward sets up with the above 4 at one time...Bruce, Morton, Riv, Chip. Houlihan wont play up front, Kreuzer will spend time there...ruckman can always look a worry to cover but it's not often that they are parked up front and kick bags...just doesn't happen. Waite at his best could be a worry but I see Chip taking him on and beating him of course with Riv floating.

Last chance saloon for Riv IMO...not forever but at least for now. I'll say it forever, he is brilliant as a spare floating backman....not so one on one.

Cmon Riv!

I think Cheney might get a deserved call up if Garland does not come up

I think you might be right.

The by-play we're doing at selection is amazing, its so hard to predict because we're so versatile. Thats really encouraging, IMO.

I have a feeling they are giving Rivers every chance to prove that he still has a spot in the side, and that they'll stick with him for the rest of the season before making a call.

Very surprised about Warnock though. He had a shocker last week, but I definitely see him as part of a our future.

So happy to see Scully and Trengove back.

Good team!

Disappointed about Brock, and I reckon the boys will be too. It was a bit of an added incentive to win.

We're obviously still sorting through our list. Some IMO, have already proved their future worth.

Those who continually bag Rivers etc, can at least sympathise with those of us who can't get our head around Bartram and Miller. We all have our preferences and often differ from the coaches. I'm not one who think the coaches always get it right, but we just have to live with it. The one thing we all get right is that they pick a red and blue team and we barrack for whoever is wearing it.

Have Carlton left him out because of the added incentive it would give us to roll them?

Was thinking the same.

Glad that Garland is ok. I think he could be good on Waite, as he runs around a bit.

Still a bit suprised that Miller has been kept in if Bate is back.

We've got enough height options IF their forward sets up with the above 4 at one time...Bruce, Morton, Riv, Chip. Houlihan wont play up front, Kreuzer will spend time there...ruckman can always look a worry to cover but it's not often that they are parked up front and kick bags...just doesn't happen. Waite at his best could be a worry but I see Chip taking him on and beating him of course with Riv floating.

Last chance saloon for Riv IMO...not forever but at least for now. I'll say it forever, he is brilliant as a spare floating backman....not so one on one.

Cmon Riv!

Riv can't afford to "float". If Frawley takes Waite, Riv's got to hold one of O'hAilpin or Kreuzer and in his present form he'll struggle with either of them. Then it's either Bruce or Garland for the third of this trio. If Riv gets spanked, they'll have to pull Miller back into defence. Agree that resting ruckman rarely kick bags as a general rule, but one of the few who's capable of it is Kreuzer. They've taken a big chance dropping two defenders who can take a tall, and their midfield will be pumping lots of ball high into the 50 - one way or another, there's a lot riding on Riv this week.

Kreuzer won't play up there all game, and Waite and Houlihan are more medium sized forwards than true talls.

Bartram 181cm

Frawley 193cm

Bruce 190cm

Grimes 187cm

Rivers 192cm

Garland (if he plays) 191cm

Plus you've got Morton as an option at 192cm

I'm pretty comfortable with our defense going into the match, although if Garland misses out and is replaced by Cheney who is 184cm we might struggle for a height a little.

Edited by Jaded

Those who continually bag Rivers etc, can at least sympathise with those of us who can't get our head around Bartram and Miller. We all have our preferences and often differ from the coaches. I'm not one who think the coaches always get it right, but we just have to live with it. The one thing we all get right is that they pick a red and blue team and we barrack for whoever is wearing it.

No, I don't. I barrack for the club. Not necessarily every player. But I do barrack for the team as a whole. If you get my drift.

But I persist with this as we have to, whilst in rebuild mode.

God, you can't drop a bloke can you?!

You all go nuts whenever any good player gets dropped.

It's apart of footy.

You play a few shockers and you get dropped.

Warnock has played a few, and, to me, was inexplicably overawed by Podsiadly - didn't watch the ball, unsure in tackling, paid him too much respect.

Rivers has been equally poor, but like Garland - has other strings. Garland has a decent attacking instinct, and Rivers is one of the best and selfless readers of the play in the game.

Good that Mclean is out. Let's us focus on Gysberts and how the whole thing was a win-win but we won more.

I thought it was a win-win at the time, now I'm not so sure.

I'm absolutely loving that we're on the giving end of the shaft.

Kreuzer/Jacobs both 200cm, O'hAilpin 199cm, Waite 194cm.

Frawley 193cm, Rivers 192cm, Garland 191cm, Bruce 190cm.

It's not just the risk of two key defenders being outmarked by someone significantly taller (and just as fast), it's also stopping them getting the ball to ground to the advantage of small forwards & midfielders. And it's not easy to run off Kreuzer or O'hAilpin either.

It's taking a big risk IMO.

With Bate back in the team. Miller could go back if we need to try another tall in defense. Plus it gives us another option up forward. Seems Bailey likes players to have a couple of strings to their bows, re positions...

Edited by predman

It's not just the risk of two key defenders being outmarked by someone significantly taller (and just as fast), it's also stopping them getting the ball to ground to the advantage of small forwards & midfielders. And it's not easy to run off Kreuzer or O'hAilpin either.

Forcast is for showers.

I hear you - this game will be a big challenge. What is the big risk you refer to though, playing Warnock over Rivers? Aren't they the same height? Rivers has more versatility IMO.

I agree with you Akum and has anyone noticed still only one ruckman. We seemly have no one to help him. God help us if he gets injured.

Does anyone know if Spencer is playing for Casey or is he out injured? if he is injured I guess there is only Martin and he seems to have lost all form and desire.

I agree with you Akum and has anyone noticed still only one ruckman. We seemly have no one to help him. God help us if he gets injured.

Does anyone know if Spencer is playing for Casey or is he out injured? if he is injured I guess there is only Martin and he seems to have lost all form and desire.

I think I am losing it Spenser is out for 4 weeks!!!!!

And I forgot we can always swing Sylvia into the ruck!!!!!!!

Reckon it's strange that both Warnock and Macdonald got the flick ahead of Rivers, and neither are emergencies.

The simplest explanation is that the FD rates Rivers ahead of Warnock and Macdonald.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that Bailey was singing Rivers praises on OWAAT.