Opportunity Knocks

Jerry Lundergard

There is going to be plenty of opportunity for some of our younger players particularly early in the season with our spate of injuries.

I was just wondering who fellow Demolanders thought was the most likely to surprise us and cement themselves a spot in our starting 22 when(if) we get all our players back?

I am presuming he will get promoted, so i am going to go with Jordie McKenzie. Although he doesn't necessarily give us production that we don't have already(inside ball winning), i feel that he may eventually be able to do it a bit more class and precision than the likes of Jones, Moloney amd JMac.

Most clubs have been able to unearth some real gems through the rookie list, and I am hoping the Jordie will be the next one.

There is going to be plenty of opportunity for some of our younger players particularly early in the season with our spate of injuries.

I was just wondering who fellow Demolanders thought was the most likely to surprise us and cement themselves a spot in our starting 22 when(if) we get all our players back?

I am presuming he will get promoted, so i am going to go with Jordie McKenzie. Although he doesn't necessarily give us production that we don't have already(inside ball winning), i feel that he may eventually be able to do it a bit more class and precision than the likes of Jones, Moloney amd JMac.

Most clubs have been able to unearth some real gems through the rookie list, and I am hoping the Jordie will be the next one.

Good Post. Lets Get Back to a Positive spin.

I Predict Ricky Petterd is going to become very well known by all AFL supporters...This is the year.

Good Post. Lets Get Back to a Positive spin.

I Predict Ricky Petterd is going to become very well known by all AFL supporters...This is the year.

One Mr Masta Bate is ready to become an elite player this year. Nathan Jones will step up to be our spiritual midfield general freeing up Moloney to protect the kids. And I don't know why, but I get the feeling Mr Miller will really step up this year with his aggression, split packs and kick 40 goals.

One Mr Masta Bate is ready to become an elite player this year. Nathan Jones will step up to be our spiritual midfield general freeing up Moloney to protect the kids. And I don't know why, but I get the feeling Mr Miller will really step up this year with his aggression, split packs and kick 40 goals.

If the Mid Field gets firing Brad Miller could become very dangerous.

A lot of the time people bag Miller Because they expect him to mark hurried rubbish kicks from our midfield.

Once the Midfield becomes Pro active rather than Re active your prediction could well be right.

This is more about hope but the big opportunity is to cement the forward and back pocket spots, Maric needs to step up and I think he can for that small forward pocket and then the competition between Cheney, Bennell and Strauss for the back pocket/HBF can only be good for the club. I think Strauss will secure this spot.

James Strauss is my tip to cement a spot in the 22 very early. Not exactly going out on a limb I know, but it's my gut feel.

Petterd is already best 22 for mine.

Yes, I think Petterd may be in the best 22 at present too.

I will go out on a limb and say the opportunity will come for Maric to cement his spot. He should get good opportunity early (even more so in the indefinite absence of Wonaeamirri) through the bench. Big call I know, but hey, I had to go someone different didn't I ? ;)

Fwiw, I think Strauss will also grab his opportunity.

Scully & Trengove are obvious picks.

James Strauss is my tip to cement a spot in the 22 very early. Not exactly going out on a limb I know, but it's my gut feel.

Petterd is already best 22 for mine.

This is the thing, we have so many high draft picks yet to play an AFL game. Let alone 50 to accomplish themselves. Strauss, Blease, Grimes, Watts, Jurrah, Morton, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott and Bennel, will all be the nucleus of a of a very good team. Then you look at our other players on the list and they will improve for having these players getting the best opposition players every week. Don't forget Bate and Jones had great first years in a strong demons side, they were found short in an injury depleted side. Miller had his best year when he was playing as a utility around strong established forwards and backs, giving him the freedom to attack the ball and play as a hit up player. Our time is not this year but it will come in the next three to five.

I`d like to think that Dunn would step up. Pre season form probably does not warrant selection at the moment but we need some hard bodies in the first 3 games in particular. Crunch year for Dunny. He may well be handed his chance on a platter by default, I hope he grabs it by the horns.

Cheney is another I think may surprise a lot of us. Be nice if he turned into a Peter Walsh clone.

This is more about hope but the big opportunity is to cement the forward and back pocket spots, Maric needs to step up and I think he can for that small forward pocket and then the competition between Cheney, Bennell and Strauss for the back pocket/HBF can only be good for the club. I think Strauss will secure this spot.

Maric has basically shown me nothing so far. Small, poor kick for goal ( despite the TAC reputation ), few possessions, no influence.

Maric has basically shown me nothing so far. Small, poor kick for goal ( despite the TAC reputation ), few possessions, no influence.

Redleg I must agree. I found his games over the preseason very deflating.

I think regardless of our injuries I expected Strauss and Jordie to get games. The one I think will step up and suprise many is Rohan Bail.

Senior Players

Bail,Rohan - work in progress

Bartram,Clint - poor decision maker - hard worker

Bate,Matthew - maturing nicely------------------------I think Bate will take a step up this year.

Bell,Danie - poor decision maker - hard worker

Bennell,Jamie - maturing nicely-------------------------I think Bennell will take a step up this year.

Blease,Sam - work in progress

Bruce,Cameron - on field leader

Cheney,Kyle - work in progress

Davey,Aaron - maturing nicely - on field leader

Dunn,Lynden - poor decision maker - hard worker

Fitzpatrick,Jack - work in progress

Frawley,James - maturing nicely-----------------------I think Frawley will take a step up this year.

Garland,Colin - maturing nicely

Gawn,Max - work in progress

Green,Brad - on field leader

Grimes,Jack - maturing nicely---------------------------I think Grimes will take a step up this year.

Gysberts,Jordan - work in progress

Jamar,Mark - maturing nicely - on field leader--------I think Jamar will take a step up this year.

Jetta,Neville - maturing nicely

Johnson,Paul - work in progress

Jones,Nathan - maturing nicely - on field leader

Jurrah,Liam - maturing nicely

McDonald,James - on field leader

Macdonald,Joel - on field leader

McNamara,Tom - work in progress

Maric,Addam - work in progress

Martin,Stefan - maturing nicely

Miller,Brad - on field leader

Moloney,Brent - on field leader

Morton,Cale - maturing nicely---------------------------I think Morton will take a step up the 2nd half year.

Petterd,Ricky - maturing nicely--------------------------I think Petterd will take a step up this year.

Rivers,Jared - on field leader-----------------------------I think Rivers will take a step up this year.

Scully,Tom - work in progress

Strauss,James - work in progress

Sylvia,Colin - maturing nicely----------------------------I think Sylvia will take a step up this year.

Tapscott,Luke - work in progress

Trengove,Jack - work in progress

Warnock,Matthew - maturing nicely--------------------I think Warnock will take a step up this year.

Watts,Jack - work in progress

Wonaeamirri,Austin - maturing nicely

Rookies

Healey,Rhys - work in progress

Hughes,Danny - work in progress

McKenzie,Jordie - maturing nicely - I think McKenzie will take a step up this year...----I agree McKenzie could be the Mover.

Meesen,John - work in progress

Newton,Michael - work in progress

Spencer,Jake - maturing nicely - I think Spencer will take a step up this year.

In a Midfield that consists of mature players & draftees, I think this could be where the standout improver may come from. To me for big improvement to happen, the player has to be talented, mentally mature, tough & strong. I suspect that with opportunities available in our onball brigade, that McKenzie seems to have these qualities as well as humility.

Edited by dee-luded

For those of you who missed this comment in Emma Quayle's post draft blog, I thought it might be worth repeating in view of the doom and gloom on here at the moment:

Hi Emma, I am a Melb supporter and very dissapointed in picks 11 and 18. We could have taken Talia and Black and built a very tall and strong spine for a decade, now we have a list full of 180-188 cm mids? Your thoughts? Ed

Hi Ed. In my mind they have four of the best young tall fwds/backs in the country with Frawley/Garland in defence and Watts/Jurrah in the forward line. Fingers crossed Garland gets his foot right, he could be a real star. But I was a little surprised they didn't grab one more and add a bit more depth. They obviously really loved Gysberts as a player - Sydney were hot on him at No. 14 and the Demons clearly didn't want to miss him. So you should take confidence from that. I know one thing, in a few years you could have the best midfield in the competition by a long way. Plus Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott are best mates... should make the settling-in process easier for both of them![b]Emma Quayle

Puts the future in perspective in lots of ways. For her to say we could have the best mid field in the comp by some way is quite a statement, and makes the propect of Jack Watts in full flight all the more exciting.

In a Midfield that consists of mature players & draftees, I think this could be where the standout improver may come from. To me for big improvement to happen, the player has to be talented, mentally mature, tough & strong. I suspect that with opportunities available in our onball brigade, that McKenzie seems to have these qualities as well as humility.

While I agree on McKenzie out of a strong field of potentials, I was confused how Jurrah, Wonna and Garland all with LTIs are maturing nicely when their individual dispositions put them very much in the work in progress category.

While I agree on McKenzie out of a strong field of potentials, I was confused how Jurrah, Wonna and Garland all with LTIs are maturing nicely when their individual dispositions put them very much in the work in progress category.

Yes, good point. This should be recognised.

Their game is maturing nicely, playing ability. Not whether their injured.

Injuries are a different situation.

Edited by dee-luded

Thir game is maturing nicely, playing ability. Not whether their injured.

Injuries are a different situation.

this sort of reasoning is why I think it was a rubbish shallow post

He has shown some patches of class amongst some absolute garbage but keep in mind he has had some rather large injury set backs, something even established seasoned players can take time to overcome.

Agree. I said it before, I'm not convinced in the slightest that Maric will make it.

On the other hand, Strauss, Jetta, Bennell, even Cheney and McNamara, I can see becoming decent AFL players.

on field leader

work in progress

maturing nicely

poor decision maker - hard worker

not sure that squeezing every single player into one of four categories works.