Intra club Saturday 13th

_becks_

Took the drive down the South Gippsland Hwy this morning to Caey Fields, my first time there and it was very pleasant. My only concern is the single lane road going in and out of the complex.

We were with the family and I spent alot of the morning playing dad so I didn't see alot of the game, but here are some photos of the ground and game.

Just one comment on the game, Jack Trengove, wow, just wow. This kid is a serious talent, mark him down for the Rising Star Award.

4352034545_851e269776_b.jpg

4352038765_c648d72bc9_b.jpg

4352789012_b40091a934_b.jpg

4352793156_5182f8e4d9_b.jpg

4352053955_58038abe4c_b.jpg

4352057081_fb98c5534b_b.jpg

4352809948_65c01e1d3c_b.jpg

4352067459_f64b262159_b.jpg

4352817244_06c074453a_b.jpg

4352074209_1d3478dc44_b.jpg

Taken with a Pentax K10 with the stock standard lens, the zoom's pretty crappy, saving for a better one.

Great morning and well run by the club, will be going down again in the future

Edited by Jarka

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the game and will try and report what I remember.

I'll try and give more information later as those are what come to mind immediately.

Agree with everything said there. Other thoughts on the game:

Green was fantastic all game. Kicked a few goals, set up play well.

I saw Bennell dodge out of some impossible situations. He's going to b a star this year. Get him in your supercoach sides now.

Pencil Trengove in to fly to Perth next week. He looked fantastic.

I don't think Maric is going to make it. He was rarely sighted and managed to miss a couple of absolute sitters when he did get the ball.

Spencer was a big surprise in the ruck. He's not there yet but it looks very much like he will become a good player for us.

Frawly destroyed Newton. I don't know if they were matched up for the whole game but in the last quarter they were and Newton hardly touched the ball.

Fitzpatrick was played as a full forward for the whites. He was generally not effective, but this is at least in part due to the delivery. He did a couple of nice things.

Scully's hands live up to the hype.

All in all I think there were some really good signs today. Our top draft picks already look like they were worth the effort. All of the experienced guys stood up and led from the front. Jamar played a half, which is great news. Freo could well be in trouble next week.

Green playing on a forward flank sounds good to me. He's obviously a great kick for goal, but he's always been good at leading to the right spots IMO. Watching him in his earlier years was a delight, and he was one of those players in the Daniher era that got forced into a midfielder role when his best position was forward. I reckon if he plays FP/HF he could kick a big tally of goals for the year.

Also, great news on Trengove's performance. He's looked great all preseason. He's put his head down, worked hard, commited to the club, and is reaping rewards already. Really happy with his progress, as he looks a future star and worthy of a Rising Star bet from me :)

I didnt expect Scully to step up straight away, as he's had the knee surgery in the off-season and his body still needs more bulk on it to bustle in the packs. I suspect they'll use him as an outside mid/flanker in his first year or two until his body is ready to maneuver through the packs where it belongs. You can see already though that he has the endurance needed, and his reflexes and skills, by hand in particular, are fantastic.

Personally I thought our general skill level was poor. Missing wide open teammates by hand and foot. Running ourselves into trouble as has been the norm for last couple of years. Was standing just next to Rob Harvey and Lapping from Carlton they had quite a few laughs during the game.

Our fwd line will be our achillies heal again this year after only one viewing. Besides Jurrah who has an ability to find space on his own inside our fwd 20m after moving high up the ground it is same old guys like Miller and Newts being soundly beaten by our backs today. With Green dropping back into the fwd for spells adds another dimension. If Spencer can improve more and maybe give the Russian some more time to spend up fwd if needed whilst young Jack develops.

Positives was Spencer played well, moved well for a man of his size. Bennell looks to have improved. Obviously seeing the new boys out there as a highlight, Trengove was the best of them. Gyza although wasn't outstanding he has really good hands below his knees for a guy of his size.

PS Was goo to see Gary Lyon there, Jimmy got him up for an impromtu interview session with Watts and Bate who were both on the sidelines today. Also Schwabby wandering around in the crowd stopping for a chat to people was good to see as well.

Edited by Cards13

I agree, it was a worry and there was still too much overuse of the ball by hand too.

I know people will say oh it's only preseason (and I'm not flying off the handle saying oh my god it is all doom and gloom) but for full time footballers to make the same mistakes as the past two years when impoving skill level through training and draftingn is amazing to see. Most glaring one was Maric had worked his tail off to get into space in the fwd near the main gate for Dunn who was in 5 meteres of space with very little pressure over shot Maric by 5 meters leaving Maric to trail it out of bounds...

Over use of the ball is something that might disappear a bit as they get more comfortable in game conditions again. But yes teams will see that today and just put as much pressure on the ball carrier by harrassing him and have him try to find a target up the field into a zone.. turn over, rebound, goal.

Edited by Cards13

Went down this morning and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth getting up early on a Saturday, was great to see so many people there and to get excited about the footy.

I know other people have said it but Trengove is a gem. Already one of the best in the club and it's only his first year, had me and my mate pitching tents in our pants any time he went near it. Just has so much poise under pressure, always used it well. Would be BOG for mine but I'm a little biased.

Scully was solid and worked his way into the game after a quiet start. Goes without saying that once he can get back into training full time he'll also be a gun. Looks a bit small still so will be interesting to see whether he'll be picked for Round 1.

Bennell was my other highlight, thought he had a ripping game, particularly in the final quarter. Oozing class off half back and around the wing, great delivery and movement. Was already a fan but now well and truly in my group of favourites.

Interesting to see Grimes get a lot of plaudits for his game, as I didn't really see that much of him. I thought he was average in the first quarter/half, made a lot of uncharacteristic skill errors, but obviously went on to do well for the rest of it. Col was the same, slow start but stamped his mark on the second half as the White team came back.

Petterd and Maric I thought were very average, both of them pretty much butchered the ball. I had Petterd pencilled in for a forward pocket but on the strength of this display I think he'll struggle. Jetta would probably be the pick of the three small forwards, had a great first half but was quieter in the second.

As mentioned Greeny up forward did well, particularly in the first half, and Jurrah was his usual self, came in and out of the game and did a couple of magical things. As mentioned previously though, our forward line will really struggle again this year I think, Miller did pretty much nothing (and still refuses to kick it) and Spencer was pretty much the only big forward who did anything. Was actually really surprised with his game, really looks to have come on although his kicking is still very hit and miss. Could actually turn out to be a player.

Everyone else was fairly solid without doing anything spectacular.

Also I may get shot down for this, but I'm making the early call that I don't think Fitzpatrick will make it. I know he's only young and new to it but just doesn't seem to have the footy brain, didn't really do much right today I thought. Will be happy if he can prove me wrong as he's a big boy which we could certainly use. We'll see how he turns out.

Overall the match was ok although the skill errors were definitely still there. I think it was an improvement and obviously they'll get better as they go on (and also a lot of the errors came from Casey players or players outside the best 22) but it's going to be a long slow process. Great day all round though, had an absolutely fantastic time.

Thanks for all the reports fellas!

Doesn't really change my mind that we'll be battling Richmond for the spoon. I was hoping everyone would say our skill level had seriously improved from 08-09 but alas not to be. Same forward line issues...

Fantastic news about Trengove!! I'm now pencilling him in for Hawthorn round 1.

Good day all round. Skill level was what you expect from a first hit out. Best players for mine were McKenzie,Frawley, Green, Trengove,Bennel,Grimes and Spencer. Aside from the usual offenders the only real disappointments for mine were Petterd and Maric(although he still kicked 2 or 3). Would not suprise if Scully had low 20's possessions but you miss half of them because they come and go so quick. Overall the most important thing - no injuries.

I liked the games of Ricky Petterd and Jamie Bennell while Cale Morton just got better as the game went on and accumulated a lot of the ball although late in the game he was on Jurrah who was weaving some of his magic on the forward line.

You're the only one that rated Petterd's performance. Are the rest being a bit harsh?

I went down today and i was sitting near the white teams bench and i asked the head trainer what was the story with lukey tapscott and he

said that he was fine and he had just gone home for family reasons, i was spewing i was excited to see how he was going to go.

Overall a great day geez im impressed with young jackie trengove, he just so clean with his disposal, just always looked like he had plenty of time

when he had it and rarely made a blunder.

jordie gysberts wasnt too bad either his disposal wasnt anything to get to excited about but he he got a bit of it.

What i thought was surprising is how well spencer can kick... i swear he didnt hit a target last year but he kicked the first two from around 40 to 50

metres and around the ground he didnt miss too many targets.

i agree with some of the other post on maric he doesnt really look up to it IMO did stuff all kicked a couple of sitters, one was a 50 metre penalty from the centre

when he got a free a when trengove threw the ball back to him and he dropped it!!! ridiculous 50!!!

Jurrah is a hell of a lot taller than i thought he was and looked very dangerous, i reckon once we have bate down there to it wont all be doom and gloom.

Brad miller was well...... brad miller, couple of grabs couple of [censored] disposals the usual.

Morton and sylvia were good without being awesome got a bit of it same with jones and beamer.

Chip, joel macdonald and warnock were all solid, fitzpatrick will not play a game this year i reckon i could of done a lot more than him.

Thank you all for the reports.

Personally I'm amazed Scully is even able to play a full match after fracturing his patella late last year. He would have lost plenty of muscle and strength in his leg (about 4cm in the first week alone!), and obviously had a modified pre-season. That he has kept up his endurance and fitness to such a level is a credit to his work ethic.

Shame Watts didn't play, but if I hear one more person making comparisons to Naitanui I'll scream.

I wasn't to concerned about our skills the players that will be in our best 25 looked good the players that we know will struggle to get a game just couldn't hit a target.

I actually like what I saw from Fitzpatrick, I don't know what people here expect from a kid like him, but he moves well for a 200cm bloke, needs to work on his kicking but that will come.

really positive day for the club it confirmed few things, to me anyway, firstly we have enough talent to move up the ladder,secondly our club is creating excitement amongst our supporters turn out today was great and Finally some of the players that don't need to be named that have been around for a few years are still not upto standard and we shouldn't be seeing to much of them this year.

Thank you all for the reports.

Personally I'm amazed Scully is even able to play a full match after fracturing his patella late last year. He would have lost plenty of muscle and strength in his leg (about 4cm in the first week alone!), and obviously had a modified pre-season. That he has kept up his endurance and fitness to such a level is a credit to his work ethic.

Shame Watts didn't play, but if I hear one more person making comparisons to Naitanui I'll scream.

Don't scream too loud Jaded! I am still very happy with Jack Watts as our first selection. Still not sold on Nik Nat. After all who did he beat in the ruck last night? Nobody of note at all. Wait until he comes up against the Big Russian! Jack Watts for me!

Well I'll add my observations that probably reinforce what others have already said.

The first and most obvious was Trengove. Wow. This kid is gonna be something, would've had high 20s-30s in stats, in the first quarter he went back with the flight to take a pack mark deep in defence, you'd have to rub your eyes to make sure it wasnt just a flashback to that mark for Sturt in the PF last year. His running, silky kicking and second efforts to offer himself as an option were a sight to behold. He ran all day too, and stood out more and more for his class as the game went on.

Scully got more involved as the game went on, his hands look very good. He does look very similar in size, stature and haircut as Clint Bartram, who was playing on the same whites team as him. Playing for large parts of the game on our Captain can only help him too.

Gysberts has great hands, didnt get a lot of it but was clean and assured. Probably not ready to push for seniors just yet, but I'm sure they'll give him a run in the NAB Cup.

Fitzpatrick got very little of it, made one nice turn for a guy his size, but it wasnt a good day to be a whites forward, the Red defenders led ably by Chipper (who was on Newton all day) towelled them up.

Down the other end the matchups were Bail on Jurrah, and Warnock on Miller, which was a terrific physical contest between those two. Probably points would goto Warnock, but Miller wasnt too bad. Jurrah didnt touch the ball much but when he did the crowd were electrified, he almost took a Shaun Smith-esque 'Mark of the Century' in the first quarter, leapt over the pack from behind the goal lines.

Spencer was the big improver for mine and will grab a NAB Cup spot too. Kicking the first two goals of the game within 5 minutes was a pleasant surprise.

Great to see Garry Lyon there with Jimmy. Chris Connolly MC'ing before the game to the grandstand crowd was a treat, as was his quip for the bus driver of the Bendigo Demons to return to the bus to turn his lights off, or it'd be a very long walk home at quarter time.

Kudos also to the players for being so obliging for the kids with the photos and autographs for a good while after the game.

Would Spencer be ahead of Martin ATS?

Is there a chance that Trengove could be tagged in his first game(RND1)? The reports that I've read about him are almost too good to be true, we could have a genuine star midfielder on our hands.

The comments aren't too good to be true. Believe me.

JT is the real deal.

Good day all round. Skill level was what you expect from a first hit out. Best players for mine were McKenzie,Frawley, Green, Trengove,Bennel,Grimes and Spencer. Aside from the usual offenders the only real disappointments for mine were Petterd and Maric(although he still kicked 2 or 3). Would not suprise if Scully had low 20's possessions but you miss half of them because they come and go so quick. Overall the most important thing - no injuries.

I stood right next to the whites bench. Davey did not play the 2nd half. I didnt see anything happen onfield but he was limping noticeably after the game. I`m hoping it was a precautionary move, but he was definitely limping!

Just want to emphasize how good Trengove looks. He is ready to rock n roll and will have an impact similar to Daniel Rich last year. Skully showed some glimpses of his talents but Trenners was clearly best of new recruits. Gys also looks pretty cool and has good size about him alreadyGrimes has stepped up another cog. Morton made some ordinary stuffups 1st half but was very good 2nd half. I did not recognise him first glance, he has put on quite a few kilos and needs a haircut badly! I reckon he is a big chance for the Bluey this year and I predict he will receive the most Brownlow votes of all MFC players. Lynden Dunn has bulked up! He seemed [censored] off the whole game however, disappointed with all the clangers all over the park including some of his own. Bennell is ready to explode! Green was great and must play forward all year. Moloney and Sylvia were solid most of the game.

Agree with others regarding skill level. I can think of 5 instances where players could have almost run into open goals, however they panicked and kicked points. Definitely needs to be addressed and is possibly a lack of talk from teammates! Tempo seemed to pick up in the 2nd half. They played 16 a side in the 2nd half, not sure if they did in the 1st half? This may explain why the tempo picked up with more space to move all over the ground. Plenty of mistakes, but plenty to be excited about as well.

Great to see G Lyon entertaining the crowd and interviewing Killa and Master, very entertaining. Even better to see Jimma. He did however seem quite frail and I felt he was really putting on a brave face today, I doubt he was well enough to be there today but was just being his selfless self and beating the membership drum for the good of the club.