WELCOME TO THE DEES JACK FITZPATRICK

Demonland

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat with Jack Fitzpatrick at Visy Park whilst we watched a prel final - a hell of a nice young man who is exceptionally confident he will go a long way. Extremely well liked by the Under 18 players.

Interesting pick. At first glance he looks like he has the attributes & abilities to make it. Tall, agile, fast, good mark and can kick, but for various reasons he hasn't put it all together yet....and I repeat...yet.

I'm actually fairly excited by this kid and what his potential is but I'm not going to expect anything for at least 3 years. He's going to be one of those types that need at least a couple of seasons development. If he makes it then great, but at the late pick he was taken if he doesn't come through it's not going to be a big loss.

Interesting pick. At first glance he looks like he has the attributes & abilities to make it. Tall, agile, fast, good mark and can kick, but for various reasons he hasn't put it all together yet....and I repeat...yet.

I'm actually fairly excited by this kid and what his potential is but I'm not going to expect anything for at least 3 years. He's going to be one of those types that need at least a couple of seasons development. If he makes it then great, but at the late pick he was taken if he doesn't come through it's not going to be a big loss.

He reminds me of the Westhoff"s from PA. Needs to bulk-up but doesn't seem to have the body type. Could be another Ryan Ferguson.

Just to reiterate that BP was 'estatic' he was still available at 50.

BP actually told me he was very close to taking him at 34 except that another steal named Gawn was there.

He is a big kid and although a slider - still speculative. BP said he will be a forward first with some stints in the ruck.

CC referred to his CFS and said it would be fine the club knew exactly what to do with him to ensure he was ok.

They already had the whole thing planned...

We've now got our second fast-leading KPF "Jack" who has tested as exceptionally quick over the first 20 metres. Needless to say, this will be an extremely valuable attribute for both Jacks in future.

This was posted by Bachar43 who took control of the Western Bulldogs in the Bigfooty official phantom draft this year. Looks like he knows Fitzpatrick pretty well and has provided some interesting detail. Here it is:

#31 Western Bulldogs - Jack Fitzpatrick (VIC, Western Jets)

Height: 199cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 26/06/91

Fitzpatrick has plenty of knockers, but i've got no doubt he will develop into the tall the Doggies are a looking for. Western suburbs boy who will take time (2 years under Barry Hall will do him no harm), but has all the makings. I've grown up playing footy with Fitzy all my life and there has never been any doubt he was AFL bound. His obvious strength has always been his athleticism; 2.88 PB on the 20m sprint, topped the repeated efforts at draft camp and has remarkable agility for a big man. He has a mature football brain, terrific people skills, his instructional talk on the feild and at training is enormous, and probably often oversighted - he will make a great leader of the club one day. Jack suffered from chronic fatique syndrome a few years ago, inhibiting his ability to maintain a regular training/fitness routine. He is growing out of this (13.1 in the beep a reflection), and i think he rather unfairly gets tagged as a lazy trainer.

In his 17th year I saw Jack dominate TAC games from Full Forward (7 goals, admittedly against NT), Centre half back, in the ruck and as running defender. He slowed in 2009, although it's a little known fact he broke his thumb in round 2, which crippled him all year. His marking and speed is hard to question and when he plays in the ruck (not often) he is quite descisive. His knockers seem to take aim at his kicking and strength. His kicking technique is awkward, yet equally sound around the feild. He has worked on his technique in the AIS, and the Doggies have an excellent development program (now headed by Peter German), where significant improvements to his kicking action and strength will be made with weekly evaluation. Fitzy's goalkicking is a concern - it has improved to show an overall record of 38.23 in the TAC cup, however he never really seems to have a regular routine. I remember a Jets under 16s match where he kicked 0.7, that said round 4 last year he kicked 7.1. It is volatile to say the least. In regards to strength, Jack is obviously skinny however he has a strong core; he stands up in tackles and uses his body expertly in marking contests. However i also have memories of him being thrown around by Josh Milani of GC... which i'm sure is forgiveable.

The Bulldogs will draft Jack as a FF, i think this is his strong suit because of his remarkable pace of the mark and strong hands. The luxury is Jack will also make a great following ruckman or 3rd defender. If all goes to plan he could be anything. A tall triangle of Cordy, Fitzpatrick and Roughead in a few years time will be very formidable.

As AoB alluded to, this kid needs to be moulded and re-moulded. Everyone, be very patient with this one.

interested to know if you are happy with this pick high tower seeing you werent the biggest fan of fitz coming into the draft..

..happy enough or would you have liked someone else?

I just watched his highlights

He has good pace and looks like he can take a grab, good when it hits the ground

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/video...ts/default.aspx

Is it wrong that I laughed out Loud at his kicking style , he looks like he went to the Mark Jamar Kicking Academy in the first few goal kicking attemps on the video

it actually looks to have improved in some of the later footage

Edited by Bates Mate

I was reading an article about him the other day about how he is pretty much over his chronic fatigue and has to take ice baths as recovery.

Also has to have at least one day a week where he gets a massive sleep in!

Missed this comment when I first read the thread but imo ice baths would do a good job in waking anyone up. I think the medical profession should look at this as a standard international treatment of CFS.

Is it wrong that I laughed out Loud at his kicking style , he looks like he went to the Mark Jamar Kicking Academy in the first few goal kicking attemps on the video

At least it's not the Jake Spencer Academy!

Missed this comment when I first read the thread but imo ice baths would do a good job in waking anyone up. I think the medical profession should look at this as a standard international treatment of CFS.

I've been in an ice bath or two. It certainly has that desired effect. :lol:

It also creates numbness for a non-desired period.

Ever had an "ice cream headache?" That's the best I can describe for "feeling" all over.

Feel awesome when you thaw out...that's a bonus !

and when they drop....

Edited by High Tower

Expect Fitzpatrick to play more of a forward role. He is said to be a great lead up player and it shows with his repeated sprints at draft camp.

To top that at draft camp at 200cm is amazing and I think we have something special there.

I suspect Melbourne have plans of playing him out of the goal square!

HF Sylvia Watts Tapscott

FF Aussie Fitzpatrick Jurrah

Bate, Green, Maric, Jetta can all be rotated through the forward line.

Fitpatrick to play a Kurt Tippet type role.

Jonesy just called Fitzpatrick "Fitzgerald" in one of his tweets - "Weights this morning felt pretty good ... Tell ya what!!! young Fitzgerald has a real mop of hair on him could gain a cult following I reckon ... Young boys are still slowly being eased into the sessions"

• 2 weeks later...