Team Vs Brisbane

w00dy

as a Devils advocate.. Jones's endeavour and pursuit is without question...his results are..well..debatable. Many observers query his decision making.

His turnovers are costly. Granted he isnt alone.

as a Devils advocate.. Jones's endeavour and pursuit is without question...his results are..well..debatable. Many observers query his decision making.

His turnovers are costly. Granted he isnt alone.

Jones will not get a game in a reasonable quality mid-field. I am pleased others are getting a chance ahead of him.

Jones an emergency? Anybody know the reasoning behind this? You'd think if he was fit, he'd be in. If not, he'd be out.

Yeah, I was surprised by this - I thought he was doing okay before he was out sick.

The possibility of a late change, perhaps?

Cheney is stiff, and I don't get why he isn't being played ahead of Whelan. Dropping him after one game is rough.

I also don't know why we dropped Bartram for Petterd, and not for Jonesy.

Very very happy and excited to watch Watts and Jurrah go around again!

We're playing Wests Coke the week after, :) , & just maybe Mclean or someone isn't right.

The possibility of a late change, perhaps?

I'm guessing that is it.

Jones isn't named in the Casey team to play on Saturday. (Game on ABC BTW)

So my guess is he is 50-50 to play and they're waiting until Saturday to decide.

Casey Scorpions

B Stockdale Silvagni Cheney

HB McKenzie Faulks Bell

C Matthews Valenti MacReadie

HF Wheatley Wall Hughes

F Maric Newton Panozza

R Mohr Dunn Bartram

Int Taylor Creed Patti*

Zomer Strauss Chivers

Waite McGough Bail

I'm guessing that is it.

So my guess is he is 50-50 to play and they're waiting until Saturday to decide.

Casey Scorpions

HB McKenzie Faulks Bell

HF Wheatley Wall Hughes

F Maric Newton Panozza

R Mohr Dunn Bartram

Int Taylor Creed Patti*

Zomer Strauss Chivers

Waite McGough Bail

Just because he isn't playing for Casey, doesn't mean they'll be a late change.

He is probably the emergency that is traveling with the side, hence Dunn and Valenti both named for Casey.

A day long of football watching on Saturday (with the possibility of actually seeing a win), excellent! :D

Hope Strauss gets a game, because him and Maric will definitely be my two to watch.

I'm guessing that is it.

Casey Scorpions

HB McKenzie Faulks Bell

HF Wheatley Wall Hughes

F Maric Newton Panozza

R Mohr Dunn Bartram

Int Taylor Creed Patti*

Zomer Strauss Chivers

Waite McGough Bail

Good detective work.

He must be 50/50 proposition.

Hasn't been great, his delivery forward has been especially awful, but I don't believe the coaching staff is ready to rule him finished just yet...

I know I'm biased, but for those of you saying that PAUL WHEATLEY deserves to play out his career.... then Matthew Whelan deserves it 10 times more

RE jones, I really feel that if he isn't going to play this week due to form he should be playing for casey to get a run around and get into it. if the reason he is missing is because he is 80% fit, then he probably shouldn't be playing for melbourne at all.

My tip is jones is still being 'rested' but could have played this week and as a result will play if required, but they won't make him play (i.e. casey) if he doesn't have to. personally if thats the case he shouldn't be played at all, but it seems like a waste of a week to leave him out based on form then not give him a chance to work on that in the seconds.

Good detective work.

He must be 50/50 proposition.

I don't understand that conclusion, it isn't logical. I reckon the real reason he isn't playing for Casey is that he will be travelling to Brisbane with the team because at least one emergency needs to, and it's a bit hard to play a game in Melbourne when you're in Brisbane. This especially makes sense when you consider that Dunn and Valenti are both named in the Casey side.

I don't think there's any tricks going on here, I just think he hasn't been picked and it's as simple as that.

Just because he isn't playing for Casey, doesn't mean they'll be a late change.

He is probably the emergency that is traveling with the side, hence Dunn and Valenti both named for Casey.

I agree. Travelling with the side most likely.

A day long of football watching on Saturday (with the possibility of actually seeing a win), excellent! :D

Isn't it great!

I don't understand that conclusion, it isn't logical. I reckon the real reason he isn't playing for Casey is that he will be travelling to Brisbane with the team because at least one emergency needs to, and it's a bit hard to play a game in Melbourne when you're in Brisbane. This especially makes sense when you consider that Dunn and Valenti are both named in the Casey side.

I don't think there's any tricks going on here, I just think he hasn't been picked and it's as simple as that.

Agree with both Jaded and Nasher....no tricks.

I don't understand that conclusion, it isn't logical.

Yeah. I agree with this. I wasn't suggesting there would definately be a late change. Just that if there is, it will be Jones since he isn't named for Casey meaning he will be the travelling emergency.

It wouldn't make any sense to name him an emergency if they were definately going to play him anyway. They'd just have named him in the 22 in the first place.

I was however speculating that perhaps his fitness for this week was an issue, maybe he's 50-50, and the team might be waiting until Saturday to decide.

I guess we'll see.

If there was someone under an injury cloud, they would take two emergencies, one for the player in question, and one as backup in case someone is unwell or injuries themselves before the match.

That they are only taking Jonesy suggests to me no late changes.

If there was someone under an injury cloud, they would take two emergencies, one for the player in question, and one as backup in case someone is unwell or injuries themselves before the match.

That they are only taking Jonesy suggests to me no late changes.

Yeah, that's a good point Jaded. From memory we took two players to the Gold Coast for the StKilda game. Can't recall who was under an injury cloud that week. But yeah, that makes sense.

I havent contributed on this forum before But my view is that shane Valenti should be given far more consideration . His takling and ball use is excellent,I think he is a good decision maker and although he lacks pace His smarts are more than capable of offsetting his lack of speed.Greg williams lacked pace and he managed to get plenty of the ball. Valentis only game this year was ok and I do not understand why he has seen so few opportunities.

Interested in others views

I havent contributed on this forum before But my view is that shane Valenti should be given far more consideration . His takling and ball use is excellent,I think he is a good decision maker and although he lacks pace His smarts are more than capable of offsetting his lack of speed.Greg williams lacked pace and he managed to get plenty of the ball. Valentis only game this year was ok and I do not understand why he has seen so few opportunities.

Interested in others views

I agree, he needs more 1sts time to find some form & show what he does.

Cheney is stiff, and I don't get why he isn't being played ahead of Whelan. Dropping him after one game is rough.

Why dump Cheney and keep Robbo and/or Whelan in the side :angry:

Agree. I am absolutely furious that Cheney was dropped whilst Robertson and Whelan (and, tbh, Jetta) keep their spots in the team. Whelan has given nothing to the team since he came back, Robertson not much more. Yet we play the two veterans instead of a first-year player who is constantly in and out of the team, and who has shown some good signs. As far as I can see, Whelan and Cheney give basically the same thing to the team.

Oh well. At leat we get more Jurrah and Watts.

At least Whelan provides an example to the younger players with his 1%'s.

I understand the opinion of dropping him for someone like Cheney, but the team is desperate for older players who are prepared to put their bodies on the line, and Whelan still does that on a weekly basis

I understand the opinion of dropping him for someone like Cheney, but the team is desperate for older players who are prepared to put their bodies on the line, and Whelan still does that on a weekly basis

Yes, he is pretty tough the little fella, just ask the likes of Nathan Brown & James Hird, hehe.

Whelan grabs alot of favour with supporters and rightly so. During his better years he was exactly the man. Tough, competitive and inspiring.

However he is a shadow of the player he was. For the past two weeks he has looked lost out there. Its not a matter of putting his body on the line it matter a Whelan getting to that line before the game moves on.

Definitely struggling and living on reputation and past glories.

A big problem for Wheels is he hasnt quite got all he zip he used to. He often plays a zone type of defence and corals his opposition. This falls flat when you havent got the legs to execute it any more.

So much is said in defence of players in that they try 110% ..or do this or that. But when all those things dont add up to an acceptable game then its all just hype and air. Melbourne needs to be results driven. ( in 2010 ;))

There is no try, only Do !!