• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY ON THE GOLD COAST

Demonland

WJ REPORTS ON THE MFC FRIDAY NIGHT FUNCTION ON THE GOLD COAST

The Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise came into view as we drove south along the Gold Coast Highway and it made an incredible sight in the early evening. The hotel sign shone a bright red and the building in front of its two towers was bathed in a blue light. We had to be on our way to a Melbourne Football Club function and we were!

Chris Connolly was compere for the evening and was his usual entertaining self. He opened by referring to a visit he had just paid to a lady who had left the club a six figure sum in her will and mentioned that she was a passionate supporter who bought the two Melbourne papers every day to read about the club (pardon the insensitivity but he didn't say how old she was!).

Chris welcomed the gathering, thanked them for coming and asked who wasn't a Melbourne supporter. He then proceeded to take the Mickey out of the few non-Demons in attendance (in the nicest possible way of course). For example, a Crows fan was asked to sing the Adelaide club song. Very funny, but of course, you had to be there. He mentioned that one keen Demon supporter and his brother were there and the club was negotiating a sponsorship for their new chain of restaurants named after our # 1 draft pick - Outback Jack's.

One of the club's guests was to have been Jeff White but he couldn't make it because he slipped and fell getting out of the bath. Chris called on of the club's sponsors from the company Red Mercury which employs Steven Febey and carried out a mock interview with the sponsor as if he was answering questions for him. All good stuff particularly the little game of knock knock Chris played which went like this:

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Jeff

Jeff Who?

That's football.

Then Chris introduced the Spencers from Townsville, the parents of ruckman Jake. They spoke of how Jake came to take up football in a rugby league dominated town. There is a reasonably strong AFL presence there and Jake was introduced to the game by a friend "Joycey". Anyhow, Jake began setting his goals and made a few sacrifices early when he moved to Brisbane to further his career. At the time when the 203cm ruckman moved out of home the local butcher sold out his business. Jake's mum said she was so nervous when he played his first game that she couldn't swallow till three quarter time. Chris praised Jake and said he would be back in the team by the end of the year after a set back with injury (he's playing for Casey on Sunday). Judging by his father Wayne who looks like a pretty strong character, you can see how Jake is going to turn into one of those players you wouldn't want to mess with in the ruck contests.

Dean Bailey spoke of the challenges of coaching a developing team and how people were starting to understand what he and the football department was doing in development of the club's list, how there were encouraging signs of improvement even if we were coming from a long way back. Dean spoke of the uncertainty many felt at the end of last year but people can now see where we were going.

Our young recruits need lots of management and care to ensure that they move smoothly into the role of AFL footballers. Jack Watts is one case in point - he won't be rushed as the club wants him to become a long term quality player. Neville Jetta and Jamie Bennell did get early opportunities after doing well in the pre season but both were given rests to ensure that their development continues without the complications that too great a load can bring to their bodies.

Dean also mentioned how it was important to introduce flexibility into the players. Cale Morton has been played on a half back flank and later on he'll move him forward and to the midfield. Jack Grimes was drafted as a midfielder and has also been played as a flanker. At some stage, he will be moved to the midfield to take a run with role. If you can instill versatility into the players to the point where they can handle a number of different positions then your team becomes a very difficult proposition to coach against.

The need for flexibility was highlighted early in the year when injuries caused some recasting in the backline. In a pretty short space of time we lost Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan and Jack Grimes who played a great game in the practice match against the Swans. This created an opening for someone like Jamie Bennell who was playing well.

Dean spoke about the preseason and how the team started early to work on things that needed improvement. Last year we kicked the ball poorly and we therefore needed to keep practicing hard and working on different types of kicks. Decision making had been poor but we've worked hard at reducing the mistakes and we're starting to get there.

In question time Dean was asked about the Foxtel piece that was shown immediately before the Hawks game last week. He wasn't to know the timing of it and apparently Al Clarkson and Damien Hardwick were a bit open mouthed as they watched it on the screen.

A question was asked about where best to play Lynden Dunn - forward or midfield. Dean said he was aware of Dunn's goal kicking ability and would be played there from time to time he was also being developed for a midfield role. He's probably going to be used 60% midfield and 40% forward (compared with Colin Sylvia where it's the other way around).

Asked the question why was Robbo dropped, Dean said he was not dropped for missing the goal (after taking that mark in the goal square. That was just a part of it. It was a hard decision to make because he has been kicking some goals but the coaches reviewed all aspects of Robbo's game with him and he's aware that his work rate didn't come up to expectations and it was necessary for him to go back to Casey to work on those things. It was equally difficult to omit Ricky Petterd who will spend a couple of weeks there before coming back hopefully improved.

I asked the question what sort of player would Dean look at with the club's first pick first if the national draft was held tomorrow. He said his first priority would be a skilful, midfielder who can kick the ball well and then a strong, contested marking key forward. I wonder to myself whether those sorts of players would be available at year's end.

A questioner asked about Brad Green and Cam Bruce being played forward where both had had some success in the past. Dean again stressed the importance of versatility and that both players would get a run there from time to time. Currently, he's happy to see Green playing wing/half forward and Bruce at half back. Stef Martin is being given a run up forward. (I discovered during the evening that the club's training session at Carrara was held in dry conditions even though there had been some light rain about in other parts of the coast. The players were in fine fettle and handled the ball well. Kyle Cheney and Lynden Dunn were brought along for the game as emergencies but there was no word as to whether one of them would return to Melbourne to play with Casey on Sunday.)

Chris then introduced Cale Morton and Jack Grimes and commented that Cale was now up to 194 cm. He's been working on getting his weight up and is now up to 83 kg. His parents have moved to Melbourne from WA and the family is well entrenched there with his brothers playing for Richmond and Hawthorn respectively.

Chris remarked how both Cale and Jack have a fantastic work ethic, both are strong aerobic runners with elite level 15 + beep tests. These things are important because they raise the level of training for the whole club.

Jack Grimes comes from a family of Demon supporters and spoke about his favourite players when he was a youngster - David Schwarz and Shane Woewodin (until he turned into a Collingwood player). Jack was delighted to become a Demon because he had mainly been spoken to by the interstate clubs before the draft. He said that when he was given the opportunity to debut last year in round 22 after battling with injuries earlier in the year it was probably a bit early. He was really struck by the pace of the game then but after a good preseason this year he's really enjoying things.

The evening was rounded off with an interesting few minutes discussion and question and answers from Board Members Don McLardy and Peter Spargo who spoke of their Board's work in restoring the club to an even keel both on and off the field. This included some tough tasks in working to make the club debt free, restoring good relationships with the AFL, the MCC realignment, the Casey Fields arrangement and partnership with Casey Scorpions, sponsorships, stadium deals and a host of other pressing matters. Don assured everyone that the whole of the Board - all 10 of them were committed to the cause and were all "maniac Melbourne supporters".

We finished the night with the raffle and the club song. I'm glad to report that, after years of careful and consistent investment in MFC raffles, I finally managed a collect. I now have a new red and blue tie, wallet (with very little content) and some Jeff Banks MFC cuff links.

I'm wearing the tie tonight.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Jack.

Cale 194 huh? It is my fervent hope that a few more years wil see him and Jackie boy creating a match-up nightmare for opposition coaches.

A fantastic read. We are lucky to have such great reporting. This is the best thing ive read for a month!

I live for this website!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another great read, thanks WJ!

WJ REPORTS ON THE MFC FRIDAY NIGHT FUNCTION ON THE GOLD COAST

In question time Dean was asked about the Foxtel piece that was shown immediately before the Hawks game last week. He wasn't to know the timing of it and apparently Al Clarkson and Damien Hardwick were a bit open mouthed as they watched it on the screen.

I asked the question what sort of player would Dean look at with the club's first pick first if the national draft was held tomorrow. He said his first priority would be a skilful, midfielder who can kick the ball well and then a strong, contested marking key forward. I wonder to myself whether those sorts of players would be available at year's end.

Haven't heard about the foxtel piece, can anyone fill me in?

Great report, and I particularly liked the understatement on these mysterious skilled midfielder and marking forward prospects.

Cheers Jack - you've got me pumped for the game. Just about to leave. I often travel to Victoria from Queensland to see us lose only to return home and see us win a couple of weeks later. Hope the trend continue on the Gold Coast. Beautiful and sunny in Brisbane at the moment.

Thanks for that WJ. I share the same sentiments expressed by other posters in this thread. You described the night well. Have a good night tonight. Go Dees! What happened on foxtel was they were interviewing dean bailey regarding stoppages in particular centre bounce clearances and how the hawks midfield set up and what melbournefc plan to counteract that. This all before the game. Which is why the likes of Clarkson and Hardwick would have been a little surprised.

Re: the Foxtel mention...

DB explained this during the week at the Premium Members' function at the MCG. In the pre-match show for the Hawthorn game, Dean had filmed a segment explaining our strategies for taking on the Hawthorn midfield. DB hoped it wouldn't go to air until just minutes before the game started but Foxtel screen it more than 20 mins before the bounce. As it turned out much of what we had expected Hawthorn to do didn't eventuate and I think there was a comment that we didn't fully execute our strategy anyway.

DB explained that we did this deal with Foxtel in an effort to cultivate our relationship with them. One reason was simply in response to Foxtel's great support for the club during our debt demolition campaign last year when Foxtel was one of the first conributors with a sponsorship deal that meant they promoted the campaign - their contribution was a very significant $150,000.

But DB also explained that media exposure if vital for every club and that Melbourne needs to get more media coverage. That requires us to be accommodating when it comes to media requests, as well as thinking proactively in how we can can gain media exposure by being a bit inventive - hence the clip for the pre-game show. He added that we can expect to see the club to do more of this things in future because we want the media to know we are willing to work with them.

And of course, more media exposure is also sponsor-friendly.

From DemonDeb from another thread:-

The Queensland Demons invite all to a post match drink at Emerald Lakes Golf Club. This is almost directly across Broadbeach-Nerang Road and will be open till midnight. We have spoken to the manager and we are all welcome to roll over and celebrate our game.

Chris Connolly was compere for the evening and was his usual entertaining self. He opened by referring to a visit he had just paid to a lady who had left the club a six figure sum in her will and mentioned that she was a passionate supporter who bought the two Melbourne papers every day to read about the club

bless her soul

Is that the best first quarter we've played all year?

And how unbelievably good is it to have a ruckman who can actually ruck?! Jamar is making a massive difference to our on-ballers.

Brilliant goal from Frawley, and quality work from little Addam Maric.

Bate brought his sticky hands as well I see.

GO DEES!

Edit: for those without Foxtel, we're down by 4 points (after kicking 5 behinds :rolleyes: )