Liam Jurrah

the fork

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for the updates RudeBoy. You sound like a terrific person. Go Liam!

Thanks to you and all the Dees' supporters for welcoming Liam amongst your ranks. BTW, he will make his debut for Casey this saturday afternoon at 2pm out at Casey. This will in fact be the first time any of the Dees' coaching staff have seen him play a game - any game! I'll be the bloke there with the biggest smile on my face.

In Australia, my band Strange Tenants (www.strangetenants.com), was the main ska outfit in the country.

That's so cool RudeBoy - 'I Work At My Machine' was one of my favourite songs when I was 13 or 14. Happy days. Are you going to see Madness when they are here in the next few weeks?

Also, all the best of luck to Liam on Saturday.

As for ska music, it's actually a Jamaican form of rhythm n blues, which pre-dates reggae. It had a resurgence in the UK in the late 70s and 80s with bands like Madness and The Specials. In Australia, my band Strange Tenants (www.strangetenants.com), was the main ska outfit in the country.

Hey Rudeboy, ya going to see Cecil Taylor's gig in Melbourne?

Thanks to you and all the Dees' supporters for welcoming Liam amongst your ranks. BTW, he will make his debut for Casey this saturday afternoon at 2pm out at Casey. This will in fact be the first time any of the Dees' coaching staff have seen him play a game - any game! I'll be the bloke there with the biggest smile on my face.

Stock the esky and the Ipod... trip to Casey is on the Cards

C'mon WJ. You can't be that old or that young to have missed the Ska revival!

I reckon you'd like it so check out Strange Tenants then hit YouTube and try the Specials or Madness and take it from there.

Sorry. I have a total blank. I know Bob Marley and reggae music. Michael Holding and Courtney Walsh came from Jamaica. I have a CD called "Is it Rolling Bob?" where reggae singers do Dylan songs. Sizzla does a number on it. How close is that to ska?

As for ska music, it's actually a Jamaican form of rhythm n blues, which pre-dates reggae. It had a resurgence in the UK in the late 70s and 80s with bands like Madness and The Specials. In Australia, my band Strange Tenants (www.strangetenants.com), was the main ska outfit in the country.

Wow the Strange Tenants bring back good memories indeed. Sweet i loved Ska, i didn't actually own it on record but it was always on at parties & i am sure i supported you & your band with $$$ over the Bar! I can't wait to see Liam run out onto the 'G when he is ready. He is going to Rock.

I've been quietly very excited about Liam Jurrah since he was drafted and hearing about his story, the more I hear the more exciting his potential is. When I finally see him play I think i'll drop the quiet bit, the kids sounds like not only an amazing player, but a person who could become a great ambassader for the club as well, similiar to Michael Long.

Guest petjud

As this is now a music and footy forum.....Madness did not play SKA, they played a watered down pop oriented (with a hint of musical hall) hybrid. If you must listen to SKA go with the originals such as Prince Buster or the Skatalites...next thing somebody will say UB40 are a reggae band....aaaaahhhhh

Sorry. I have a total blank. I know Bob Marley and reggae music. Michael Holding and Courtney Walsh came from Jamaica. I have a CD called "Is it Rolling Bob?" where reggae singers do Dylan songs. Sizzla does a number on it. How close is that to ska?

Think Jamaican upbeats with a brass section. Originally started off not too much faster than that, has now morphed into ska-punk with distorted guitars playing on the up beat, brass sections doing most of the lead, and normally very fast tempo.

download 'all my best friends are metalheads' by 'less than jake' if you want a perfect example of skapunk.

or anything by strange tenants if you want some older school stuff. ;) you might have to buy those records though.

if you want some good stuff, also try the aquabats, they are lots of fun.

if its one bloke i have been creaming my pants to see in action its our boy liam!! hope u has a long and enjoyable career with the dees and go back to his home town and mentor some of the young talent coming through.

thats awsome stuff that when he gets older he will be an elder!

Found this on the Yuendumu website.. apperently a pretty handy musician :)

Yuendumu

It is with great pride and joy that Yuendumu Community recognises the drafting of its beloved son and Warlpiri man Liam Jungarrayi Jurrah by Melbourne Football club. Yuendumu and most especially his family, such as Corinna, Leo and Cecily, is incredibly proud of Liam's achievements as a footballer. But we are even prouder of him as a member of the Yuendumu community and as a Warlpiri man.

Liam has been a young star of Yuendumu football for as long as anyone can remember. Even in his Auskick and Under 17 days he was always following in the superstar steps of his father Leo. Liam did not spend any real time in development teams or elite training squads. He is the proud product of the remote red dirt oval of Yuendumu and local football mentors such as Lindsay Williams, Adrian Nelson, Ned Hargraves, Darren Talbot and Kasman Spencer who taught him how to play the Yuendumu style of football. Positive, attacking and joyful football.

Liam grew up playing on the Yuendumu oval and those of other remote communities across Central Australia at community sports weekends. This learning ground has seen him graduate to the senior team at a young age throughout the glory years of the Yuendumu Magpies Ngurratjuta Cup triumphs in Alice Springs 2003-05, 2007. In 2008 he triumphantly led the Yuendumu Magpies to an historic victory over Pioneers, with a best on ground performance, in the inaugural season of the newly amalgamated AFL Central Australia.

However it is the young man that Liam is, that Yuendumu and his family are most proud of. Liam is a sensitive, positive, caring and strong young man. Since he was 16 Liam has been a member of the highly respected Mt Theo Program's ‘Jaru Pirrjirdi’ (Strong Voices) Youth Development and Leadership project. In this capacity Liam regularly acted as a casual youth worker running, and umpiring, hundreds of hours sporting activities such as football, basketball and indoor soccer for the youth of Yuendumu. Liam's healthy and hardworking sporting achievements also served as an inspiration to Warlpiri youth.

As a natural consequence of his positive actions Liam began casual youth mentor alongside Mt Theo Program Senior Counsellor, Brett Badger in 2007. This regularly involved prevention, early intervention and peer mentoring work with at risk Warlpiri youth facing serious life issues. In addition Liam is a talented musician as a longstanding member of the band he created with his brothers and cousins the ‘Yurrampi South Band’, as well as previous recordings with ‘Rising Wind’.

VFL 2008 - AFL 2009

In 2008 the recruiting efforts of ex Collingwood player Rupert Betheras facilitated Liam moving to Melbourne to play for the Collingwood VFL side. This was done with the key assistance and hard work of the Collingwood Industrial Magpies Coterie Group (most notably his Melbourne family Bruce and Rea Hearn Mackinnon). The Industrial Magpies group has supported Yuendumu Football Club, through the Mt Theo Program, for several years to create a positive football based partnership for Warlpiri male youth and sponsored annual visitors to Melbourne. This, in conjunction with the Melbourne Football Club, can now be adapted as a support network for Liam in Melbourne and the provision of further inspirational opportunities for young Warlpiri men.

The VFL experience and the subsequent Yuendumu Magpies 2008 triumph, led to a later opportunity with the Nightcliff Tigers in Darwin for several games. This was arranged by Shaun Cusack and Yuendumu/Souths legend Darren Talbot. Through the skilful and diligent efforts of Shaun Cusack, in conjunction with Rupert Betheras, Liam was able to realise his historic dream of being drafted into the AFL from the remote red dust oval of Yuendumu. All of Yuendumu is proud.

All of Yuendumu knows that Liam will represent the community and the Warlpiri tribe with distinction and honour. And just maybe the community that lives and breathes the Magpies will have to develop a dual allegiance with the Demons.

This is a great story. Thanks Dazzledavey for that. Fingers crossed he can achieve the same heights as what our President once did.

PS. Your signature??...........what were you on back on June 24, 2008? :lol:

Ha just started to re read this thread,

Hey Rudeboy, must have been to heaps of your shows, nice to know your a Dee's man, your band just got better :)

will be looking forward to Madness and special beat too.

Please don't sully the likes of Toots and the maytals with reference to UB40.

Ska has really been dead out here for a long time, Still whilst not a massive ska fan (prefer OI! (as name would suggest), Punk, Hardcore and Jamacian Reggae) still dig some Ska and Northern soul.

And please punkska is like Nu metal............crap

Op ivy are the closest to making it work and some Rancid and suicide machines songs but 99% of it is awful, just awful.

I'm pretty sure Bailey said he was 191cm.

In the cluub/members magazine it had him as two seperate heights, one in the profile section (age, weight, height etc.) then the write-up part (Liam is a promising forward etc.) listed him as another..

What does that mean you ask? well, I don't think the club actually knows either

Liam is obviously quite an exciting player. I haven't seen him at all yet, all I know is what I read on here.

What type of style of player is he? If you had to equate him to an AFL player, who are we looking at?

Liam is obviously quite an exciting player. I haven't seen him at all yet, all I know is what I read on here.

What type of style of player is he? If you had to equate him to an AFL player, who are we looking at?

Adam Goodes with ostrich legs