THE GAME - PS4

Stigga

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left halfway through the last quarter (the rain was getting ridiculous) when Melbourne were a couple of goals down and was surprised to learn that they lost by so much as they were just about the better team up until that point.

I was really impressed with Jetta, Bennell, Spencer, Jones, Moloney and Garland.

Yeah I left about the same time.

Last thing I saw was Dunny roost the pill as far as he could into our forward line at about the ten minute mark. The ball hung in the air, then started travelling back towards him. It probably ended up going about 15 metres.

Seriously, if we were kicking to the other end in the last, we would have won by 40 points. I wouldn't get too worried with the result, as I'm sure the boys won't and the confidence won't be dented too much. They were the better team to 3/4 time, before the cyclone hit.

I left halfway through the last quarter (the rain was getting ridiculous) when Melbourne were a couple of goals down and was surprised to learn that they lost by so much as they were just about the better team up until that point.

I was really impressed with Jetta, Bennell, Spencer, Jones, Moloney and Garland.

Did you take some players with you?

i agree aj about the weather, it turned terrible, there was only one side that could win the game, the way it was blowing in the last. i am actually surprised they scored that much because of how wet it was, but i suppose it was pretty easy to get down there.

some of my observations (missed 15-20 minutes of the first quarter, and left half way into the last):

-dogs got a great run from the umps early.

-dogs had better hands (marking and below feet) than us in the 2nd quarter, we did adapt quickly though.

-we struggle a bit up forward with our talls, however it wasnt a day for tall footballers.

-newton, to me, looked to harrass and chase where he could, however lack of agility sometimes makes his efforts look poor. gave a couple of, and i saw him kick at least one, which was strange. he got the ball straight in front 30 metres out and instead of kicking a drop punt turned sideways and snapped it... he needs to learn more about when and where to lead to, and i wonder if he is under instructions to play as the 'home' forward' while bate and miller 'roam' a bit?

-it appeared to me that dunn played taller today than usual. ie he was often hitting up and leading and marking rather than chasing and tagging a player. wasn't a good day for it, and im not sure who he was playing on (so i might be wrong) but slightly different style of game that what i am used to from him.

-petterd was again injured due to courage, he threw himself inbetween the ball and a dogs player and got a corky, i am surprised he got up that quick to be honest.

-neither messen or spencer impressed me today, i was watching but didnt see either standout. neither did the dogs ruckmen and i am assuming this was largely because of the weather. i did notice messen throw his body around a couple of times in the forward pocket to good effect.

Did you take some players with you?

I think someone stole their boots! They got handball crazy in the last quarter when the game was at its wettest. Seemed like there was no directive to change the game plan to suit the conditions. Not Bailey's best effort!

That surface looks fantastic.

Surface looked great held up well considering, Casey feilds i must say was pretty good with exception to the mud park,

reasonably priced food and real beer in a can against the plastic cup crap

Good venue will get better with future developments planned

It's not recommended.

If the thumb's broken, four to six weeks unfortunately.

Milane played a whole finals series with a broken thumb, however not going to assume how he got that far with what help

I left the game half way through that last qtr as well, the rain coming in sideways seemingly underneath the umbrella no matter which angle it was on. Add to that the wind almost blowing us over, and the ball seemingly entrenched deep in the dogs forward line, we decided to leave (and try and negotiate the mud plains back to the car).

But what I saw in the 3 quarters was very pleasing. This was the first game I've been able to get to or see all year, and of the new players Spencer certainly looked a much more accomplished ruckman than Meesen. He was better able to win the ball from the centre ruck and also contributed around the grounds presenting well. Meesen wasnt terrible, but really had minimal impact.

The standout draftee for mine on the day was Bennell. There's very little of him, but he seems tenacious in his attack on the footy. He got absolutely crunched a couple of times as he waited for the ball to come to him for a mark rather than attacking it, but he'll learn from this. I certainly think he looks good enough to play senior footy this year at some stage, especially given Whelans continued absence through injury and Bartrams continuing displays of lack of efficiency, smarts and poise.

Jetta is also a wisp, and I think has further to go than Bennell in terms of being good enough at this level, but there were still plenty of encouraging signs.

In the backline, Garland is a leader of that division now. His poise and composure belies his age and games played. he had another very good game. Warnock was fairly solid, although a period in the 3rd quarter where Hill broke away from him and scored 3 goals was crucial in the outcome of the match. Stefan Martin on Minson was relatively quiet, conditions were not favorable for big forwards. Rivers was OK without doing terribly much, but he got through the game without any signs of discomfort, so thats his goal achieved (I seem to remember saying the same thing 12 months ago when he and Bartram played their first games for a long time for Sandy at Casey too though). Bartram was as frustrating and errant as usual, there's really no place for me for him in our best 22, he just lacks class. Cheney continues to develop and again showed a nice ability to be able to read the play well. Frawley is another who continues to get better, he'll be pushing for selection come round 1. Bell had a fairly atypical game, at times his awareness was awful, but other times his 2nd and 3rd efforts of pressure were outstanding. So another season of more of the same seemingly awaits for him. Brad Green absolutely controlled this game, wether it be patrolling the half back line as the libero, or winning the ball through the middle and switching play, or kicking goals up forward. He really is a completely rounded player nowadays, and along with Jones, my best on ground.

In the middle, Jones and the newly nude-nutted McLean dominated, and importantly both pushed forward to score goals, Mcleans in particular along the ground was a pearler. McDonald wasnt sighted that often but still was busy as usual, he'll be the quietest and most unobtrusive captain in the league this year, but that doesn't mean he wont be a good one. Some of his desparate lunges at packs today are what makes him an inspiration. Moloney got a bit of the footy in a strong (for him, particularly in pre-season) hitout, and luckily for him the conditions suited his route 1, kick it long to whoever, style of play. Buckley made a few of his customary strong run and carrys, and from what I understand if this was his first game for the year, then it would have been pretty pleasing for him. Morton was fairly anonymous, and is still a stick figure, he does have seemingly more time than most when caught in heavy traffic though. Bruce played fairly consistently all day, but still leads far too wide at times.

A tough day for forwards, but I though the endeavours of the group, if not the scoreboard reflections, were admirable. Miller in particular was bullish, and continually worked hard to present and make life tough for the defenders. Bate had a forgettable day stats wise, but the kicking to him was pretty ordinary, and he had Harris and others continually punching the ball away all day. He tried hard when it hit the deck, but the ball at his feet is not one of his strong suits. Newton was great in the first half, kicking goals, presenting himself and pressuring all the way up the field into his own defensive half. He seemed to disappear more as the game went on, but certainly seems to have done enough to earn a Round 1 berth. Petterd was another revelation up forward in the first half, his enthusiasm for the contest was a treat to watch. I hadnt seen Ricky so energised since he burst onto the scene 2 years ago. Dunn seemed to float in and out of the game, be it up forward or on ball all day, I couldnt see that he had a specific tagging role.

So all in all a cold, wet but strangely satisfying day, despite the last quarter fadeout. The crowd were, as mentioned, about 75% Melbourne, which was great. It was also fantastic to see President Stynes walking around the ground (in short sleeves! Must've thought he was back in Dublin) and taking the time to stop for a minute or two to stop and talk to groups of demons fans, including our motley crew. Well done Jimmy, its the little things like that the fans love! Bring on the Kangaroos! (who were all there in attendance today).

DD

Very interesting to see other people's views on the game. I'm amazed that so few rate Petterd as in the best. Even with the injury I thought he was our best player. He's really bulked up and it shows in his game.

The backline is going to be first class. They were great in the air. Less impressive when the ball came in at ground level, but that is an area where the Bulldogs excel, so it may have looked worse than it was. Who knows?

Our forward line is worrying. I think they looked better with Green in the mix, but I can't see him being played there on a regular basis. Jetta is a very impressive marking player for someone of his size. Very good at using his body to protect the ball. He should see game time this year.

In all honesty, I am not a good enough game-watcher to really pick out much of what happened in the midfield. It was pretty clear that the Dogs came out harder at the start of each half and it took our lot a few minutes to catch up to the pace. What I did notice was that when the rain came in the last, it wasn't only the wind shift that ruined our chances. None of our players seemed to be able to pick up the ball cleanly. Gentle balls floating in for uncontested marks just slipped through players' hands and it took multiple attempts to pick it up off the ground. The Dogs were able to take their own chances first grab more often than not, allowing them to destroy us in the clearances.

So, there's a few thoughts on the game. All in all I'm quite happy with the way the team is looking. Give us 2-3 years and we'll be in the top 4 again where we belong.

Oh, and how did Miller not get reported?

Very interesting to see other people's views on the game. I'm amazed that so few rate Petterd as in the best. Even with the injury I thought he was our best player. He's really bulked up and it shows in his game.

agree, very sceptical of petterd as a forward, but he was very very good playing as a forward pre injury in the doggies game. I've never been a big bell fan and he turned it over a bit, but geez he has a crack, and i would never had had him in my best 22, but after that game he gets in for his efforts, unfortunately he was injured.

chalk and cheese between spencer and meesen. meesen had more of an effect around the ground, but was belted in the ruck. spencer held his own against quality rucks. spencer should get the nod, with p.johnson his backup.

bennel very composed, however i feel cheney will get the nod if it comes down to those two, purely on his slightly bigger body.

jetta is very good, if davey is injured he comes in. wona will be fit too.

garland the general. forwards useless.

Meesen is almost useless. He cant kick, cant ruck,cant run. At least Spencer had a good chase at a player/ball. Meesen also looked completely shattered when he came off the ground - is he fit? Jetta and Bennell looked like young Aaron's - what a great future they have. Green was excellent when he went down the forward or in the centre. Dunne is too slow. Brock the same old same old - always gets caught - where is his peripheral. Bate did nothing. Nathen Jones gives the team a little bit of grunt along with Moloney who has certainly bulked up. Still not sure that Newton has a future. Miller has to contain the aggression and use

it on the ball not the man otherwise he could have a replication of a couple of years ago. Aaron was great and into everything until he was injured. Rivers didnt do much but at least he was there. I did notice that the changeovers were not spot on and often players came off without a replacement ready.

In the last quarter they looked shattered and maybe conditions of last week really took its toll. So despite loss, the type of football played was vastly improved on last year so I am taking it one day at a time etc etc

Who said food prices were reasonable but $4.00 for a coffee is a little much.

The ground needs another entrance amongst other things as well if MFC is thinking about future low support games to be played there. It was good to see the local junior scorpion teams playing and then supporting the players as they ran on. I think MFC is right on the money to increase their suppport base out there. I believe the Club/Casey Council are going to do some work on the outer side to improve watching conditions. Certainly the parking situation wasn't good - would be awful in winter conditions. However all in all I could see a Fremantle V Melbourne game out there!!

The only thing missing today was a big boggy patch in the middle of the ground to muddy up the players. The rest felt like old shool footy with a wintery blast and people hanging around on the boundry and on the hill around the outside. I really like the ground and it held together well despite the rain.

I hope petterd is OK. Showed heaps of courage flying for marks and looked really good.

Bennell is a quality player. Just seems to think quicker than most in tight situations and disposes of it well. Really good awareness and vision IMO. The fact that he is small doesn't seem to be a disability.

Green put in an other quality performance. Took a great mark running with the flight of the ball in the third and showed a fair bit of courage.

Cheney is another that shows no fear.

Col Garland lived up to his recent billing and was poised quick and made some excellent spoils.

Steph Martin looks a player. Did his job well and made good decisions.

Mclean had a better game IMO than people are giving him credit for.

Jetta looks dangerous up forward but missed everything going for a checkside goal from a free kick. I bet I know what he'll be doing at training this week. Look to injure himself in the 3rd (I think). But ran away when he saw the trainer coming. Not long after he was back doing some good things. Showed hes pretty tough.

Rivers looked ready to bounce back.

Bate was less effective than I hoped he would be.

All in all the team looked harder and more precise than when I saw them last year. Looking forward to watching them fight it out a bit more this year.

The wet weather will always assist our slow midfield. Thats ok.

If I may, I think it helped the pacier Doggies, however heavy muddy conditions would suit slower but physically stronger Mid setups. Todays conditions were greasy but allowed the running players to still run on top of the ground & also hold their feet when turning.

Bennell, Petterd, and Jones were very pleasing to the eye. Bennell's disposal is silky and accurate.

Rivers, Moloney, and Brock were always amongst it and that is good to see.

Wasn't a day for Newton, Bate, and Miller so they get a reprieve. Newton did some awful things, but he also did some great things. One attempted mark on the wing in the 1st Qtr comes to mind when he ran back with the flight and went A over T.

Don't know how we will go against the Kangas but I don't think we will be let down.