Colin Sylvia- Complaints, Congratulations and Comments

Don24

Or should that be plays like "cheetah". ( Tarzan's monkey. )

Redleg, is that your age showing..?

Fwiw, I did know that & was born in 83, but i think i'd have to be in the minority.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i know what everyone is going to say to me, "it's only NAB cup, chill out", "give the kid a go". But i'm finished with him, since he's got here he's been given every opportunity to shine, but he just hasn't shown me enough. He had the chance to end the game today against the reigning premiers from 25 meters out on a slight angle, but he missed. If he's a midfielder, he didn't get anough of the ball, if he's a forward then that should be bread and butter.

Well said

When we have a forward line that has Newton and Sylvia, literally sitting in it, I will make a point of something that I noticed we lacked today.

FORWARD PRESSURE

FFS, Just because you are in the forward line, doesn't give you the excuse to NOT CHASE. Both are the laziest footballers I have ever seen.

Sylvia is by far not even close to being in our top 22. I think Robbo hobbling around on one leg would have done better than Sylvia today. And as for the Juice Newton. Puke! Fast track Mr. Watts to Full Forward. Juice you are over and out with Mr. Sylvia.

If today was the day for you that you decided that Sylvia was no good then I have to ask, why didn't you see it earlier? Surely a NAB cup game cannot be such a defining game in a player's career?

I wouldn't say that this was a defining game, but this is his first full pre-season, he has prmised a lot over the time we've had him and he litterally had the chance to win the game for us. I've had faith that he could come good for a while, i've been patient and understanding that he has had injuries. But previous injuries do not excuse him from missing such a shot on goal, and for having such an ineffective game against many 1st year players.

As i said, there might be a bit of anger in the orriginal post, but he should be better and until he proves himself CONSISTENTLY, then stuff him.

i also noticed Sylvia laughing after the game and it got my blood boiling. He gets a healthy 4k pay cheque for the game, while I pay for his salary, only to see him laughing after a lost game. If I was on the coaching staff and I saw that, I'd lay into him. I was totally on Buckley's side when Fevola did it last year and Bucks laid into him. Same thing with Sylvia. Laughing and jeering with the opposition after a loss. Disgraceful.

Sylvia was terrible today, and I had expected a lot better but....

If today was the day for you that you decided that Sylvia was no good then I have to ask, why didn't you see it earlier? Surely a NAB cup game cannot be such a defining game in a player's career?

Also I get thi feeling that if the rest of the team got better around him, then he would be in our best. Can we afford to have a player like that?

I suppose he has a year to prove himself, and we have a year to adjust our expectations on him.

I disagree, i think this NAB cup game was a crucial game in his career. No longer does he have the excuse of injuries, he has had basically a full pre season and supposedly was one of the standouts on the track, so fitness is not and issue, in a season where he is a player that desperately needs to stand up and help lead our revival, he came out and made is intentions clear. He has not progressed at all and lacks kicking skills, does not win enough of the ball and has a poor attitude. My hope now is that he turns into a serviceable player and can remain in our 22.

Not only did Colin have a typically average game, he missed an easy crucial goal in the last qr. What really annoyed me though was when he was laughing after the game chatting with hawks players, he should have been [censored] off and annoyed after that. No passion. Today is the first time ive thought he is never going to live up to his hype as a #3 draft pick. Don't think he will ever be more than an average player...

I want to be like Colin. I want to be able to go to watch Melbourne play, and after the game when we lose be able to have a good laugh about it and not really care at all, that way I wouldn't get so upset and angry when it does happen, better for my heart and blood pressure, and yesterday better off for my neighbours who may have leant some new words.

If Dean Bailey does not discipline him for his attitude then I think he is sending the wrong message, he had the chace to seal the game missed it and showed me nothing to indicate it hurt, after all the effort that was wasted. Let see what the leadership group does, if it was Michael Voss he would put Colin through a locker and threaten him with more if he ever did it again.

I am disgusted.

I reckon i can count on my right hand the amount of influential games Sylvia has had at the MFC.

Do you have a right hand?

Hasn't been in our best 22 ever.

Plays no specific rle, and doesn't bleed for our club.

I hope I'm wrong, but i can't help but feel in the years to come when everyone matures, we will be 'close' to success, but rue never tradng the likes of Colin Sylva for a mid 20s draft pick, year after year after year.

Now I haven't watched the game becuse of work commitments, so I'm being presumptious, but I'm presuming we threw away a 33 point lead because of a lack of leadership around the ground under pressure?

I want to be like Colin. I want to be able to go to watch Melbourne play, and after the game when we lose be able to have a good laugh about it and not really care at all, that way I wouldn't get so upset and angry when it does happen, better for my heart and blood pressure, and yesterday better off for my neighbours who may have leant some new words.

If Dean Bailey does not discipline him for his attitude then I think he is sending the wrong message, he had the chace to seal the game missed it and showed me nothing to indicate it hurt, after all the effort that was wasted. Let see what the leadership group does, if it was Michael Voss he would put Colin through a locker and threaten him with more if he ever did it again.

I am disgusted.

I am trying not to get carried away with a pre season game. However, knowing where we are at as a club and how important a message a win could have sent, I fully understand and don't disagree with your views on CS.

I will now try and adopt the views of Fan, if they don't show it they ain't got it. I will stop hoping. Simple as that. Newton is firmly in that category as well.

i also noticed Sylvia laughing after the game and it got my blood boiling. He gets a healthy 4k pay cheque for the game, while I pay for his salary, only to see him laughing after a lost game. If I was on the coaching staff and I saw that, I'd lay into him. I was totally on Buckley's side when Fevola did it last year and Bucks laid into him. Same thing with Sylvia. Laughing and jeering with the opposition after a loss. Disgraceful.

I remember another occasion was watching a few of the boys coming off the field after one of our amazing AAMI stadium performances, laughing with the opposition. Hate it

Mate, not having a go, just trying to stimulate conversation, hence my comments offered as a question for debate.

I am sick of Sylvia's typical days, sick of them. He must improve this season or he should justifiably loose his spot.

I'm not bothered with where on the table he was drafted. The expectation however, when he was drafted, was that he would develop into a capable midfielder/small forward, which after five seasons, he has not.

you say he must improve this season, well give a more than one NAB cup game and an intraclub match to prove himself. If after playing in all preseason games and a couple of h & a games, he hasn't showed ANY signs of improvement, than you can justify your criticism of him.

and you know what? i'm sick and tired of people jumping on the bandwagon to criticise a player's form when he's obviously struggling, but then when that player actually starts to play at a decent level, no one ever starts praising him e.g. think about a year ago - miller; he had his most consistent year last year yet once he plays a below avarage game like yesterday BHAM! everyone's on board to criticise him. stop being so pessimistic - it won't get you anywhere!

having said what i've just said, totally agree with this. needs to get his head in the right place

Hearing that he was laughing after the game worries me. Is his head in it? I can't see the funny side of yesterday, especially when Sylvia missed a set shot in the last quarter that would have provided us with a nicer lead and a bit more confidence.

This must be Sylvia's last year at Melbourne if he doesn't step up and assert himself on games. We can't afford to keep players like him on the list who don't give enough in match situations.

you say he must improve this season, well give a more than one NAB cup game and an intraclub match to prove himself. If after playing in all preseason games and a couple of h & a games, he hasn't showed ANY signs of improvement, than you can justify your criticism of him.

and you know what? i'm sick and tired of people jumping on the bandwagon to criticise a player's form when he's obviously struggling, but then when that player actually starts to play at a decent level, no one ever starts praising him e.g. think about a year ago - miller; he had his most consistent year last year yet once he plays a below avarage game like yesterday BHAM! everyone's on board to criticise him. stop being so pessimistic - it won't get you anywhere!

having said what i've just said, totally agree with this. needs to get his head in the right place

I'm willing to give him the entire season to improve, but if he does not, he should go. The Sylvia bandwagon has been rolling for a while and I have been one asking for patience, but after seeing his laugh and smug little smile yesterday and his eagerness to dispatch high fives with any Hawthorn player in reach, made my stomach turn. Fevola copped a serve for a similar incident last year and Sylvia deserves the same from the Demons faithful.

the trouble is we don't have the luxury of time to be giving colin opportunities to prove he's better than a bimbo. another poor pre-season, a couple of big losses in the home & aways & we're a basket case again -- commentators taking cheap shots, opposition supporters mocking us ... the whole nightmare of 2008 begins again. we need to be improved & impressive quickly, to attract a sponsor & members.

I feel i have and many others have been very patient and understanding of Sylvia's horrible run with injuries, and with that the fact that he wasn't able to gain form. But he is now a senior player and senior players must step up to the plate when the game's in the balance, like kick a simple goal.

I feel i have and many others have been very patient and understanding of Sylvia's horrible run with injuries, and with that the fact that he wasn't able to gain form. But he is now a senior player and senior players must step up to the plate when the game's in the balance, like kick a simple goal.

Maybe he laughed because someone broke wind?

I don't want to bag a player in the pre season but him laughing after the game was the last straw. Sylvia is a joke he can't kick, can't jump, for a bloke who is suppoesed to be a great overhead he rarely takes one, poor decision maker not overly quick and extremely lazy. Melbourne are to blame for this he has continually got a game when his form didn't warrant it now you have a player who always thinks he will play in the seniors no matter how bad he plays. It is now time for him to be dropped unless he is in the best for at least 2 of the next 3 practice matches. Sylvia is not a forward he misses far too many goals and he is not fit enough for the position that we need filled and what he was recruited for in the midfield. I would be amazed if he was to turn his career around cause ATM he is just another Fiora.

Oh please, get your hand off it, all of you.

It is absolutely normal and common for players immediately after a game to have a chat and a laugh. It blows off nervous energy (ESPECIALLY after a tight game) and helps to make sure there are no lingering poisonous feelings after a rough spoil, or a heated exchange or sledging.

May I point out the key words - 'after the game'? Or is that too subtle a distinction.

And FFS, it's a pre-season game. Maybe some of us have pumped it up as something big and special, but I'd be dissapointed if it wasn't just a step in preparation for the footy department at Melbourne. We want to peak during the season, yes? Or have you all decided that 'four wins or less' is the way to go and the pre-season is the only time left to actually try to win?

I worry sometimes about the enthusiasm on here for knocking the players beyond all proportion.