Intraclub Match Day

pitmaster

Thanks for the report youami.

Can you please tell me more a bit more about Jetta, I know he's good overhead and likes the physical stuff but how was his speed and skills today?

Cheers

I knew nothing about his overhead marking before today, but it really stood out today. In the 3rd quarter Frawley moved onto Jetta, and was trying to

rough him up (seriously) but I guess in a friendly manner. Pushing him around, off the ball. His speed didnt stand out to me, not saying he's not quick

but it was more his marking, and his composure in front of goals. Looks a real find.

Didnt see anything that suggested he likes the physical stuff, but intra clubs arent the types of games to be a hero - see setanta.

Skills were terrific.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Dunn play as a tagger and kept picking up possies or was he playing as an offensive mid?

Who did Martin and Frawley play on? How did they work that out when we have more backmen then forwards?

Good to see Cheney taking the kick ins.

I think early on Martin was on Zomer, and not 100% but Frawley may have been on Bate. I can tell you at the other end it was Warnock on Miller and Garland on Newton, i think they swapped at half time so Warnock went to Newton (not sure if it was because Miller was doing so well, or to try Warnock on a more nimble type player in Newton, and Garland on a bigger body player).

i was at the game but didn't get the team sheet as they had run out, but for anyone who got it, was Bail number 30 in red?

liked Jetta, Wonna, Petterd, Bennell, Garland and thought Morton had plenty of it.

Bail was 41. He looked pretty good, he appears to be one who you dont really notice, an in and under type, with clean hands.

Agree on Morton, as the game went longer Morton just ran off his opponent who from memory was Buckley for most of the game, they didnt play on each other though, but Morton's stamina is first class, can run all day.

Not sure if Dunn was tagging in all honesty, he got a lot of the ball early on, but did seem to drift.

I dont want to bag any players, but I dont see what the fuss was about for Buckley, to me it was just a stock standard game. Probably needs to do a bit more these days. Wasnt a bad game, but I dont think he was in the top 5 for the day.

i was at the game but didn't get the team sheet as they had run out, but for anyone who got it, was Bail number 30 in red?

liked Jetta, Wonna, Petterd, Bennell, Garland and thought Morton had plenty of it.

Bail was in white and kicked a great goal on the run. Looked ok.

Cheney was a surprise, thought he played well.

Newton was poor and kept running underneath the ball, he was trying it just didn't happen.

Jetta looked good as did Bennell.

Wona trim and taut was great and Dunn has become a big unit and should play key forward in my opinion.

Petterd was very good and Grimes is clean when he gets it.

Valenti is a good footballer only very small and that will limit his career.

Would like to see Martin let loose one day and see what he can do instead of being totally defensive, he is a big unit with good hands.

Moloney is clearly underdone and many of the seniors just went.

Thought Trent Zomer showed something with three goals and if he can keep improving is a chance to play AFL. He is about 195 cms and we don't have a lot of key forwards.

Thought the disposal was slicker than in the past.

I dont want to bag any players, but I dont see what the fuss was about for Buckley, to me it was just a stock standard game. Probably needs to do a bit more these days. Wasnt a bad game, but I dont think he was in the top 5 for the day.

I couldn't agree more. Buckley makes poor decisions, his teammates have no clue as to what he's doing, and he turned the ball over regularly. I don't mind him as a footballer because at least he takes the game on..., and he finds the ball, but your hearts in your mouth when he has it.

Petterd was very good.

Bennell, Bail and Jetta are in my best MFC team.

Dunn has become a big unit and should play key forward in my opinion.

I'll admit that I'm not a Dunn fan, but there's no way he's a key forward prospect. He can't take a mark and doesn't like a hard contest - despite his physique. He's also not a midfielders bootlace. He's a classic tweener.

Not up to it.

How did Bate, Bell, Moloney and Sylvia play.

Did any of our rookies play?

I don't understand the constant negativity when it comes to Bell. Not sure what game some of the other readers were reading Adam magic but bell was very good today. He was tagging Brock in the middle in the first half and kept him very quiet, then followed bruce for a while, had time to go forward and kick a goal. Got a lot of the ball and was very clean. Moloney seemed to be struggling after of all people spencer ran him down in the first quarter and had a slight limp after that. Bate and sylvia were quite for their standards but bate kicked a couple in the end.

Today I thought that Zomer was a hell of a lot better than when I saw him, albeit once, on the same ground last year. Moloney was a bit underwhelming. Jeta was not. I like Cheney but I'm not sure why...I thought he read the play well, appeared composed under pressure and hit targets coming out of defence. A perfect Wheels replacement when he retires or is injured. Pettard looked much improved but I cannot comment on his kicking. Garland appeared smooth and undestated. Martin was good.

Wonna is a little gem. Put some talent around him and we'll be enjoying him for years.

Buckley is on a slowburn in my opinion. He is a bit better every year. If, and it is a big if, but IF he can hit targets better and as H is saying be more predictable to his teammates he will make it I think. I cannot say the same of Dunn. I would nt play him in the seniour team although he is currently better than jetta and strauss. I'd prefer to play both boys before Dunn to see if they will be better.

Jones got a truckload of the footy; he used it well, he used it poorly.

I also agree that many of the seniors just went.

All in all, I think we are seeing that our defence is much improved and our forwards are in limbo (we're waiting for teh second coming). The big issue to my mind are the mids. I wonder whether we are better off playing 'lesser' players in terms of their current perforance (bail, jetta, bennel, grimes) instead of guys like moloney, dunn and valenti because we need the experience in the kids. From a pure footy position, I think we should. When you consider another season of losses, then I'm reluctant.

Looked good:

Buckley. At times he got lost but I feel he is let down by his teammates not utilising his run.

Bartram. An honest effort. same ol same ol.... maybe a bit bigger.

Miller. Was very good. good hands and great kicking

Frawley. All over Bate when Bate was up forward and provided great run.

MOrton. Found space and showed class.

Petterd. Good start and kept it going. Played midfield and pushed forward.

Grimes. POised and skilled. Played tall and small.

Garland. Continued from last year.

Cheney. veey solid and good skills.

Meesen. The bar is pretty low but he wasn't awful.

Wona. Looks primo. Better pace and strength/intensity.

Zomer!!!!!! Actually looked ok but I feel he is in the same boat as Meesen.

Jetta. As mentioned was very active up forward.

Bail. Good ball use and pace. Found the ball regularly.

Spencer. Was aggressive and effective. cannot kick.

Bennell. Showed huge amounts of class. Also faded in and out of the game.

Valenti. Was in the better players.

Strauss. Played ok but his disposal was a highlight which puts him in my good books.

Meh.

Jones. Still misses targets but foot. Why can't he learn to handball more often/effectively???

McLean. Needs time.

Bate. Played multiple positions and seemed to be pacing himself.

Johnson. Number 1 ruck option. Thats not saying a lot.

Sylvia. workrate and intensity was great but he looked scratchy. He should be better for the run.

Dunn. Was good except for when he ducked on 2 occassions backing back.

Green. Cruised around.

Bell. Played forward for a while and kicked a goal. Interesting....

Moloney. Needs time.

Bruce. Same as Green.

Martin. Pretty solid but hardly spectacular.

Warnock. Missed a few spoils which were a little embarrassing but otherwise ok.

Whelan. Paced himself.

????.

Watts. Runs well. Signs autographs well too.

Maric. DNP

McDonald. DNP

Robo. DNP.

Rivers. A virtual DNP

Newton. Wow! When will the message sink in????

McNamara. DNP, at least I think so.

Wheats.DNP

Davey. DNP

Hughes DNP

Jamar. DNP

MacKenzie ???

Healey. I saw him get a couple of kicks.

Bells defensive game was solid but his disposal atrocious. He turned it over three times in a row in the third term (twice by hand and once by foot to show his versatility). With the style of game we are moving towards unless his effectiveness dramatically improves he should not be in our starting 22.

Top three highlights for me.

The skill and dash of the three indiginous boys (Wona, Jetta, Bennell).

The use of Brad Miller as a deep forward.

The poise of Grimes, Petterd and Cheney across half back.

Top three disappointments

Newton- an inept display if I've ever seen one. Can we say he is out for 8 weeks with heart issues (does not have one) and promote Zomer?

A fit Moloney and Sylvia yet zero impact from either.

Admitting that Valenti is a better AFL prospect than Jones.

NB: I did not see Rivers go down but if I did that would have snuck in as well.

Bail was 41. He looked pretty good, he appears to be one who you dont really notice, an in and under type, with clean hands.

cheers.

so does anyone know who wore 30 in red? he was off half back, played close, looked pretty hard at it. i liked the look of him.

Looked good:

Miller. Was very good. good hands and great kicking

McDonald. DNP

I'm not too sure why everyone is so happy over Miller's game. Three free kicks in the goal square for three goals isn't that great. Do you think he'll be given such easy kicks in the home and away season?

McDonald did indeed play. He spent a lot of time on the bench, but came on and did some pretty good things.

Aside from that, I was very impressed with Jetta and Bennell. They both showed a lot of ability. As plenty of people have said, Jetta is a great mark for his size, especially given his relatively small frame.

My first sighting of Bail sold me. He charged headlong into what looked like being a huge bump and somehow managed to slip through ahead of the contact, taking the ball with him. Plenty of people have commented on his skills, but the courage he displayed in that contest was to me the more impressive attribute.

Big Red, I wonder if Sylvia was not going as hard as he might to ensure his body is o.k. Moloney too for that matter. That might be just wildly optimistic.

Firstly, i know its been said by those have got down to training, but how good is the surface on that gound? definately comprable with anyground in this country i would say. unbelievable. was like a carpet. took a while to wrk out i it was real or not. brilliant.

missed the first quater so i did't see the 5 mins rivers apparently played. unlucky footballer than bloke.

few things i picked up on...

i was impressed with bennel and wona. jetta kicked 3 as well. the aboriginal boys were good. was disappointed jurrah didn't play.

spoke to watts. he's on a 10 week program to bulk up and get a bigger fitness base. he's not going to be playing any games in that time and will come up through the casey side early in the season.

buckly is one of the most frustrating players on our list. think he is well and truely over rated. yeah he takes the game on, but always tries to do to much and gets coralled, and turns it over or gives it off to a player in an even worse position. extremely frustrating to watch.

speaking of frustrating, newton ran to the wrong spot and ended up getting double teamed more often than not.

bell played forward in the last which i thought was interesting. kicked a goal but really didn't get to much of it.

although the skill level wasn't 100%, definately better than it was the early rounds of last year.

Big Red, I wonder if Sylvia was not going as hard as he might to ensure his body is o.k. Moloney too for that matter. That might be just wildly optimistic.

I would hope so. May be the case with Moloney but I was more concerned with Sylvia his inability to handle the ball cleanly and some of his turnovers. Hopefully your optimism is correct.

Newton worked hard but was cruelled by awful kicking to him and Garland being firmly up his...

It was odd to see Macca, Green, and Bruce getting toweled up in the guts by Jones, Moloney, and Dunn.

Moloney led the White's midfield and did a decent job.

Petterd easily the most exciting thing from the day. Followed by Jetta, Spencer, Wonna, and Bail.

Guest melbman
Having read other reports, I thought Tom McNamara did play, he had the big blonde crop of hair and was wearing the number 2, not sure why. Didnt have a major influence on the game if it was him, but he is still very young.

Hiya youami

The player in number 2 was casey player Beau Vernon. When he retrieved the ball from the boundary during the warm up near us some guys asked who he was

http://www.scorpions.com.au/players/task,p...rdetails/id,27/

cheers