Most Improved Player for 2008

DemonDave

This will be an interesting, and hotly contested award this year. Usually each year its pretty much a no-brainer that a player has a breakout 2nd

year to win this, Newton took the chocolates last year, however this year there's a series of realistic contenders:

-Simon Buckley

-Paul Johnson

-Chris Johnson

-Colin Garland

-Matthew Warnock

It's generally given to a 2nd or 3rd year player so might rule Paul Johnson out, so I think Chris Johnson or Matthew Warnock may get it. Predictions?

Guest Schtacker

CJ

PJ

Miller

Garland

Dunn

Buckley

Warnock

Sylvia

Have all improved this year

Bruce, Wheatley and Green have had good ones too and McLean was going pretty well

Alas

Still 16th.

PS I reckon Miller or PJ

July 2008 'Most Improved' thread:

http://demonland.ugbox.net/forum/index.php...l=most+improved

Nothing's changed for me - still Garland.

Mine has changed a bit from then.

1. Simon Buckley

2. Colin Garland

3. Paul Johnson

4. Matthew Warnock

5. Chris Johnson

Still Garland for me, but PJ and Bucks have each shown great improvement this year.

1. Garland

2. Buckley

3. PJ

4. Warnock

5. Dunn

Special point to Miller, he's gone from trade bait/delist to one of our most important players.

I see the "most improved" player ranking an interesting one, as many players' performance may improve because of added confidence.

Someone like CJ and even Garland may fit this category. This year they have backed themselves. Garland will get the nod IMO, but he only played 1(?) game last year, so it's also hard to know where he was at last year.

Even in his own words, he's started backing himself this year and rating himself amongst other AFL players, whilst CJ has finally started backing his judgement and movement and as such I don't know if it's "improvement" or just showing how good they are

Warnock has gone from dud (IMO) to a pretty decent defender who still has room to improve, but has vastly imporved his game this year when judged against his previous years.

I'd have to say Warnock or Buckley, as both have been on our list for a while, but this has been their "breakout" year

i think garland is actually more likely to win best first year player. i know he is not strictly a first year player, but what is the criteria for that? normally most improved goes to someone who played a few games then had a much better year. and rarely would it go to a player like green who has been around forever.

Still Garland for me, but PJ and Bucks have each shown great improvement this year.

1. Garland

2. Buckley

3. PJ

4. Warnock

5. Dunn

Special point to Miller, he's gone from trade bait/delist to one of our most important players.

I agree with this assessment by Pates. I would probably swap Dunn and Warnock around fwiw. Been impressed with Dunn and his tasks of negating prime opposition.

This will be an interesting, and hotly contested award this year. Usually each year its pretty much a no-brainer that a player has a breakout 2nd

year to win this, Newton took the chocolates last year, however this year there's a series of realistic contenders:

-Simon Buckley

-Paul Johnson

-Chris Johnson

-Colin Garland

-Matthew Warnock

It's generally given to a 2nd or 3rd year player so might rule Paul Johnson out, so I think Chris Johnson or Matthew Warnock may get it. Predictions?

Newton took it last year!!!!!!!!!!!! what a disgrace to the great Barassi name, it also show just how bad Neal Daniher was at blooding youngsters , Newtons 1st game was danihers last surely Bate or jones were more desearving of the award last year

i think garland is actually more likely to win best first year player. i know he is not strictly a first year player, but what is the criteria for that? normally most improved goes to someone who played a few games then had a much better year. and rarely would it go to a player like green who has been around forever.

I'm with you on this one Deanox. My criteria for Most Improved is someone who has gone to another level. I don't think that you can say that Garland has gone to another level after only playing 2 games in the previous year. Based on my criteria, I would give CJ or Wheatley most improved.

Matthew Warnock.

I love the way he plays. No nonsense just gets the job done. A big improvement on '07.

Who do we all think has been the most dissapointing?

I think Carroll, I was expecting another solid season.

I'd say Buckley and Garland have both been the notables, but it's so early they mightn't reall 'qualify'.

In terms of comparing someone to where they were and the stage they were at in their career, and what we expected to see from them, Chris Johnson is a possible.

Paul Johnson has become a consistent performer at that level we saw tantalising glimpses of over previous years.

Dunn has built in some consistency but hasn't had much flair - which is of course tough in a mostly taggin role.

Nods to Wheatley and Green among the veterans.

But for me it goes to Brad Miller. If not for a couple of games missed through injury, he'd be well on target to kick more goals this season than in the rest of his career combined. He has also increased disposals by 20% and marks by 50%, and is using it better than previously (someone told him it was now ok to face towards the goals... nice one Mr. Bailey)