Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Thank you Neale

jiska78

Daniher was a terrific coach who was proud of his club and players and his passion, commitment and constant promotion will be sorely missed. The way he has conducted himself over the past week and continued to rally behind the team despite deciding it was time to leave has been inspirational. His comments on the footy show last night reiterated just what sort of man Neale is. Despite he's obvious disappointment, the first thing on his mind was the players and the club and getting the supporters behind them and the new coach. Truely an unselfish person who did his best for the club. It is disappointing that so many players let him down. On behalf of all Melbourne supporters, I would like to wish Neale all the luck with his future endeavours and thank him for all the things he has done for our great club.

Today is a sad sad day, not only for me personally, but for the club itself. Thankyou for everything Neale..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your tributes below - thread to be posted to Neale directly..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to express my thanks to Neale for his 10 years of service at the Melbourne Football Club. Although we have had mixed results in your time, you were one of the rare coach that took us to a grand final in 2000. What ever you do in the future Neale I am sure you will do well.

Thank you once again

I didn't think I would be so sad, but watching the scenes in the rooms after the games is really emotional.

Some of the boys are absolutely gutted, especially the older brigade.

I feel for Neita more than anyone. The man is a true champion, and he deserves to win a premiership so much.

I just really hope that he stays on and stays strong and gets to hold that premiership cup. He couldn't do it under Daniher, but maybe he'll be able to do in the next couple of years.

This year has been nothing short of horrible, and the sooner it ends the better.

you have to sometimes burn a forrest to generate new growth..tonight The Rev was burned...bit of a shame he deserved that win.

Life goes on..

Neale, ever since you arrived at the club I have appreciated the way you go about coaching. Your attitude towards football and towards life in general is an tribute to the type of man you are. Your efforts tonight in getting the boys up and ready after such a poor performance last week truly show the capability you have as an AFL coach. It's a shame we couldn't send you off in the manner you deserve, but I would like to thank you for your efforts over the past 10 years.

Good luck in the future.

Class act - always respected the club and put it first. Was never a coach who put short term ambition in front of long term sustainable success. Worked in difficult conditions throughout, in terms of facilities, money, salary cap breaches and boards. Left the club with his dignity in tact. Thanks and congratulations Neale.

Neale, ever since you arrived at the club I have appreciated the way you go about coaching. Your attitude towards football and towards life in general is an tribute to the type of man you are. Your efforts tonight in getting the boys up and ready after such a poor performance last week truly show the capability you have as an AFL coach. It's a shame we couldn't send you off in the manner you deserve, but I would like to thank you for your efforts over the past 10 years.

Good luck in the future.

In a few weeks time Neita is going to become the first MFC player to hit 300 games. It's one of the tragedies of the game that Neale won't be involved with the club on that day. A real shame.

I look forward to being part of the group that gives ND a standing ovation at this year's AGM (and please let's have one of those Members' Information Nights as well where we can pay tribute to the bloke for his 10 years of outstanding effort for the club.

People should not forget his contribtution to this club. We may not have the flag we are craving so badly but lets face it our list was terrible when he came here. He turned us into a household name that consistently made finals. I wasn't around in the 70'sor early 80's but I don't think we made the finals too often in that period. Very much an attacking coach who got us playing that kind of footy. I really hope he does coach again and all the best in future because he is an exceptional coach.

Thankyou Neale

You gave it your best

Now that I have retired I have attended training quite a few times. Without exception the sessions have been well organized with the players disciplined and upbeat. Well done Neale.

Devastating last few moments, but sums up our year. There isn't much that's gone right for us this year, but i really hoped that we could send Neale off with a win and you could tell the players (especially Neita, Robbo, and Browny) were gutted.

Thank you so much for your time here, you have always conducted yourself with dignity and passion and tonight was no difference. Good luck with your future coaching aspirations.

PS. I'll never get to sleep tonight, 6 bloody seconds away from a fairytail ending!

All we could ask, Neale, is that you gave it your best... And you went above and beyond.

Many players, officials, even many fans' hearts don't bleed true for the Red and Blue and I think you proved beyond a shadow of a doubt yours did.

If you remember nothing else from this document, remember that you WERE the man to coach Melbourne Football Club. No-one would have coached us better in your 9 and a half years, and I doubt anyone will prove more effective at this club than you... at least not for a number of years.

From the bottom of my heart I thank you for leaving the club that I love in a better state than it was when you arrived. It's been my honour to be your fan...

Neale, thanks for all your hard work and commitment over the past 10 seasons. You have given us some definite highs during this rollercoaster ride. You have had to do it tough but have always retained your dignity and sense of humour and have left the club in a much better position than it was when you arrived. You are well respected in the footabll world and will remembered as a great servent of the MFC.

Good luck for the future

Guest erinclaire86

I'd also like to express my thanks to a coach who, I believe, got the best out of the club he was provided with. Last night was an example of the passion and spirit that exists in this team, and although we just fell short last night, it really was the demons', and Neale's, game. It's been a sad week for the club and for the supporters, it feels like the end of an era. But good luck to him. Whoever is appointed as the next coach of the club has a lot to live up to in terms of integrity, passion, and commitment.

Thanks again.

Where to start? A humble dignified man with a fantastic sense of humour. I have loved every moment of your time at the club, I have loved your constant positivity, it was so rare for you to publicly come out and bash our players even after they were thumped. Last night footy sucked big time, I have never cried so much over a football game in my life. You will be sorely missed, thankyou for your dedication and general love of the club

Thank you danners for all the hard work and effort you have put into building a strong club.. Everybody in the football world knows you have true abilty to be a successful coach.. thanks for bring players like brock, flash, silvia, bate, jones ect too the club.. truly these boys have u too thank whatever they achieve in football. Goodluck with the future and thanks for the memories..

I'd like to add my thoughts to the list. First the thank-you to Neale. It has struck me for some time that 'Thankyou' is such a miserably inadequate word. How to you explain the gratitude and respect for a bloke who tried for 10 years to save your club...a bloke who came as an outsider and then came to love and 'own' his own piece of the club...who behaved with intelligence, grace and dignity the entire time? I have no idea - the only word left to me is 'thanks'.

Some of my greatest MFC memories have come from Neale's reign - highs and lows. I sent Neale a letter after the 2003 defeat to collingwood with my thoughts about his abilities and need to back himself. Included was a poem ( I know, I sent a poem to a football coach- what was I thinking), that last stanza of which I have included here. I enjoy this greatly and it summed up Neale in my mind.

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.'

Thank you Neale.

i have always loved the guy too bits and one thing that i always begged for was a premiership for this guy! i cried so much last night after when he waved to the crowed and him and neita walked off arm in arm.. iv never been so emotional in a football game like that. makes me think i want ND back but i know we will never get that :(

thanks neale u are a legend whos legacy will on in many of us supporters hearts! good bye neale i will miss u champ and i hope u have great success in whoever u coach.

thanks for the memories

dazzledavey36

Thanks Neale-You are a fine man, and will always be. You gave it your best shot-no doubt. I hope you will always be welcome back at Melbourne Danners.

Good Luck and thanks mate. You did a tough job with Dignity. Legend

i have always loved the guy too bits and one thing that i always begged for was a premiership for this guy! i cried so much last night after when he waved to the crowed and him and neita walked off arm in arm.. iv never been so emotional in a football game like that. makes me think i want ND back but i know we will never get that :(

thanks neale u are a legend whos legacy will on in many of us supporters hearts! good bye neale i will miss u champ and i hope u have great success in whoever u coach.

thanks for the memories

dazzledavey36

Yep i was gutted too, but the club must move on to grab that elusive cup