Stream or Download Episode 17

The Next Demonland Podcast
    will be Tuesday 25/7 @ 8:30pm featuring Jayden Hunt

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC from Casey

Young Casey Demon a Kiwi

13 posts in this topic

Congratulations to one of the Casey Demon young guns Mykelti Lefau who has been chosen to represent his home country of New Zealand against the AFL Academy Australian Under 17s at Westpac Stadium in Wellington on Monday April 24. 

Playing for St Kilda City Under 19s in the Southern Football League late last year Lefau had a match to remember, drilling 25 of his team’s 28 goals in a big victory over Carrum Patterson Lakes.

He has already impressed with Casey and we wish him well in his first game for the Kiwis. 

7 people like this

Good luck. Maybe one day he could play for the Demons?

He probably doesn't fit the criteria because he's now living here but what's involved in drafting an international rookie like the NZ kid we had over here a few years ago?

#: 5   Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, deebug said:

Good luck. Maybe one day he could play for the Demons?

If he becomes good enough to get onto the list of a premiership side, then i'd imagine that he'd be more likely drafted by 17 other clubs :)

Edited by DominatrixTyson

Went to the AFLNZ draft combine test on Friday. Mykelti broke beep test record by doing 14.9 (was 14.8). Finished in top 10 in every test. My boy (aged 15) came second in beep at 14.3. Jason Taylor and other AFL scouts there. Mykelti looks v promising

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Kiwidemon said:

Went to the AFLNZ draft combine test on Friday. Mykelti broke beep test record by doing 14.9 (was 14.8). Finished in top 10 in every test. My boy (aged 15) came second in beep at 14.3. Jason Taylor and other AFL scouts there. Mykelti looks v promising

Well done to your boy Kiwi Demon. Hope the dees keep an eye for Mykelti.. huge upside and unlike Maaia Westrupp he is actually a gun at footy!

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well done to your boy Kiwi Demon. Hope the dees keep an eye for Mykelti.. huge upside and unlike Maaia Westrupp he is actually a gun at footy!

Will watch Mykelti play for NZ Hawks against AFL Academy for first 30 mins tomorrow. Then I'll watch my boy play for NZ L1 academy v NSW independent schools. He got opposition coaches BOG in yesterdays game. Then thrilled to get his photo taken with Simon Black at the high performance dinner last night.  Maxy Gawn selected at ruck in the NZ heritage team.

2 people like this

Won't hold that against him

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM, KC from Casey said:

Congratulations to one of the Casey Demon young guns Mykelti Lefau who has been chosen to represent his home country of New Zealand against the AFL Academy Australian Under 17s at Westpac Stadium in Wellington on Monday April 24. 

Playing for St Kilda City Under 19s in the Southern Football League late last year Lefau had a match to remember, drilling 25 of his team’s 28 goals in a big victory over Carrum Patterson Lakes.

He has already impressed with Casey and we wish him well in his first game for the Kiwis. 

With his growth and rapid development KC i wouldn't be surprised if Jason Taylor tries to hide him in the development league for a while.. If its true that his skills were on show in front of AFL scouts then no doubt clubs will keep a close eye.

Watching that footage and i know its only development league, but jeez for someone who is 194cm he is seriously quick and agile!

#: 11   Posted (edited)

So what's the rules for international rookies and (if he's good enough) does this fella fall within that?

Edited by Moonshadow

I know the Kiwi skipper. Surprisingly nice guy for a Hawthorn fan. Will ask him about Mykelti...

1 person likes this

It seems that he did well in testing at a special draft combine for NZers.

Surely with our NZ connection (Max Gawn is from there), you would think we would snap him up as an international rookie if we possibly could?