Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

Looking forward to what we can do with both of 5 and 9.  Last time we had a similar hand, we ended up with Clarry and Weid.  Not paying out for picking up Weid as not every player recruited can be an absolute hit, but if we end up with at least one player of Clarry's quality, I think we'll be doing all right, but if we could nail both picks, I think it sets us up for the future well.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Got to admit that I was a little thrown off this season, with more of the hype seeming to be that Tholstrup was the more AFL ready, yet it was Winsor that really shone (which I'm not complaining about, because Caleb was nothing short of sensational this season and definitely looks the goods for the future).  I haven't really seen enough of Tholstrup to make as much of assessment of my own, but take the points you are making Macca and will be watching with interest over future seasons.

Depends on whether you believe the hype or not.  They are a bit young to judge even in their first year or 2 at AFL so any definitive judgements at under 18 level are premature

What I look for are signs.  So it's Windsor with his pace coupled with decent decision making and disposal skills

The same doesn't apply to Kolt as he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the game (yet) but he does get to a lot of contests and there's no short steps either.  To me he obviously just needs more time

The MC played him in the last 9 games of the year and I read that as them wanting to have a good look at him and give him plenty of game time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Looking forward to what we can do with both of 5 and 9.  Last time we had a similar hand, we ended up with Clarry and Weid.  Not paying out for picking up Weid as not every player recruited can be an absolute hit, but if we end up with at least one player of Clarry's quality, I think we'll be doing all right, but if we could nail both picks, I think it sets us up for the future well.

Drafting talls with early picks is often a bit iffy.  We missed with the Weid but he showed heaps of promise at under 18 level

He had the skills but there was a lack of intensity at AFL level.  At junior level some deficiencies just don't show up

Drafting mids and trading for KP talent seems to be the go.  We did well with Ben Brown but decent experienced KPF's are hard to get hold of

Same for tall backs in a general sense.  We traded in May, Lever & Tomlinson.  You could even count Hibberd in that area

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chookrat said:

I bet you thats not even his real name.

Wrong what a stupid naive comment. This afl.com.au journalist is all class honesty and knowledge. 

if I was him I would consider su…g you!!!

Look at his work and contributions in tandem with Riley  Beveridge for an answer on his sincerity and poise with our future footballers and players agents.

Extremely poor judgement of humanity. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Wrong what a stupid naive comment. This afl.com.au journalist is all class honesty and knowledge. 

if I was him I would consider su…g you!!!

Look at his work and contributions in tandem with Riley  Beveridge for an answer on his sincerity and poise with our future footballers and players agents.

Extremely poor judgement of humanity. 

Yep, total joke of a line and not good enough 

In light of what some are suggesting will be a barrage of pick swaps in the next couple of days, it’s worth looking at the current draft picks held by each of the clubs at this moment in time. 

It gives perspective to the mooted swap deal between Melbourne and Essendon because, as we can see, the Bombers don’t have much of a hand to fight off a challenge for their NGA player Isaac Kako and to get seriously involved in trading. To that end, the Demons’ future first plus #28 and #40 strengths their hand considerably. 

Adelaide: 4, 46, 64
Brisbane: 32, 34, 42, 43, 45, 60, 66
Carlton: 12, 14, 69, 72, 73
Collingwood: 36, 52, 55
Essendon: 9, 31
Fremantle: 10, 11, 18, 30, 67
Geelong: 17, 38, 57, 75
Gold Coast: 6, 13, 23, 29, 41, 50, 78
GWS: 15, 16, 21, 37, 53, 56, 74
Hawthorn: 33, 71, 77
Melbourne: 5, 28, 40, 49, 54, 65
North Melb: 2, 25, 44, 62
Port Adelaide: 39, 58
Richmond: 1, 20, 24, 51, 61, 70, 76
St Kilda: 7, 8, 27, 47
Sydney: 19, 22, 59
West Coast: 3, 26, 63, 68
Western Bulldogs: 35, 48

• Like 3

A couple of points to note:-

“It will see the Bombers land the Demons' future first-round pick, pick 28 and 40 and other later picks expected to shuffle for the Bombers' pick 9.”

• as has been pointed out previously, a deal is not a deal, until it’s done so hold your collective breaths until it’s done; and

• given that the Bombers next picks after 31 fall in the middle of Round Five and beyond (86, 104 and 122), it’s hard to see exactly how that later pick shuffle is going to be of any value unless the Demons get some future late round picks in the process.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

Great move

The only thing I don’t like about this trade is having the bombers death ride us next year. 

Based on the Bombers previous top end drafting, I don’t see this as an issue 😂😂

Edited by Demons11

I quite look forward to Bombers death ride. We offer more than pick 9 admittedly, but thats just the cost of doing business.

All we need to do (In my opinion) is make the 8 to win this sidebet and to indulge in schadenfreude on their year. As they will be doing to us. Bring it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

A couple of points to note:-

“It will see the Bombers land the Demons' future first-round pick, pick 28 and 40 and other later picks expected to shuffle for the Bombers' pick 9.”

• as has been pointed out previously, a deal is not a deal, until it’s done so hold your collective breaths until it’s done; and

• given that the Bombers next picks after 31 fall in the middle of Round Five and beyond (86, 104 and 122), it’s hard to see exactly how that later pick shuffle is going to be of any value unless the Demons get some future late round picks in the process.

Rumours are we get the String pick/s when they make that deal. Then on send them to Brisbane. They might get a pair of picks in the 50’s given GWS won’t want them.

They’ll make for nice points value on the chase for pick 34 from Brisbane 

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Rumours are we get the String pick/s when they make that deal. Then on send them to Brisbane. They might get a pair of picks in the 50’s given GWS won’t want them.

They’ll make for nice points value on the chase for pick 34 from Brisbane 

Be nice to add pick 34 to this arrangement. That’d give us a good chance to pick up a solid citizen to go with the likely top end talent we’re locking in. Maybe 2024 won’t end so badly. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, adonski said:

For what it's worth, Cal Twomey is one of the few journalists whose info I would take as gospel, especially the draft related stuff

Not gospel, but only because his info is by definition second hand.

But totes agree on twomey is on of the better AFL jounos - in large part because of his expertise and deep knowledge about the draft environment.

Knowledge he has been developing and building for many years. Like a proper journalist.

Take note third rate gossip mongers like Morris et al.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Macca said:

Drafting talls with early picks is often a bit iffy.  We missed with the Weid but he showed heaps of promise at under 18 level

He had the skills but there was a lack of intensity at AFL level.  At junior level some deficiencies just don't show up

Drafting mids and trading for KP talent seems to be the go.  We did well with Ben Brown but decent experienced KPF's are hard to get hold of

Same for tall backs in a general sense.  We traded in May, Lever & Tomlinson.  You could even count Hibberd in that area

Agree Macca but problem is trying to trade for one can be even harder. These days every player seems to have an asking price 2 first rd picks. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, binman said:

Not gospel, but only because his info is by definition second hand.

But totes agree on twomey is on of the better AFL jounos - in large part because of his expertise and deep knowledge about the draft environment.

Knowledge he has been developing and building for many years. Like a proper journalist.

Take note third rate gossip mongers like Morris et al.

Agreed. He’s interesting because he’s informed … which means he doesn’t need to smear and poke to get attention. One of the very few worthy of respect and  that I’ll tune into. 

• Like 1

I am not as stoked about this as we were before. If we trade pick 49 for Sharp, we are left with pick 5 and 9 and nothing else. Surely we still need to build for the future, especially key position depth (defendrs), by drafting in later rounds. We won't be able to do that now?

Unless something is coming back for Tomlinson.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 3

Woof - glad we’re getting pick 9 but gee we’re paying a premium for it 

Not sure where we’re going to get the picks from to get Harry Sharp out of Brisbane? They need picks in this years draft and I’m not sure what we have left over after this?

Edit: I see we’ll have 49 left which I’m guessing would be part of an in principle agreement for him 

Edited by demoncat

5 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Woof - glad we’re getting pick 9 but gee we’re paying a premium for it 

Not sure where we’re going to get the picks from to get Harry Sharp out of Brisbane? They need picks in this years draft and I’m not sure what we have left over after this?

Edit: I see we’ll have 49 left which I’m guessing would be part of an in principle agreement for him 

I’m still hoping we get GWS’ pair of picks in the 50’s via Stringer from Essendon for a future 4th but that seems less likely now.

Plus we might still trade out a certain player…

• Like 1

Wow, last I heard it was reported we were giving up F1 and 28 alongside potentially a late pick swap. 

Stoked to get 9 in this year's draft, but ouchie, that's a hefty price all of a sudden.

• Like 1

So 49 for Sharp and maybe a F4th?

Makes you wonder if we're just planning to take the two top ten picks into the draft and nothing else.

I wonder if we're still trying to pry the Derk out of GWS.

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wow.. did we really need to give up that much??

I guess we had to do 28 and the future first for 9, that’s the minimum price for a quality pick.

46 gets cancelled out by the future 3rd.

65 is junk.

Did we have to put both 40 and 54 in, I guess the deal says yes and Essendon needed points picks for Kako to do the deal to begin with.

I hope we find a way to get a 3rd rounder, if not for Derk then at least for JT to have a crack at a slider.

• Like 5