The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

Starting to feel like these "Dees looking to upgrade", "Dees aggressively pursuing" posts are harbingers of doom. Because every other club has the time and space to also be doing the same. Similar to last year with the Dogs trumping us for GC's pick.

I just want a post to pop up one day out of the blue saying a deal has been done for Pick 0-20 from X Club!!

Then no getting hopes up. It's just done!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

Really don’t like the idea of trading our first pick next year and a 2nd this or next for a pick 11/12/13, with everything going on it’s hard to see us making finals let alone deep finals. We would need to be finishing top 4 for this to make any sense and although in theory this draft might be deeper than average I’m sure we would get a just as good or better player next year in most likely scenarios 

I’ll preface this by saying that if Kalani White is a low first round pick next year then it could make sense 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I assume that's because we weren't intending to use our future first for that?

Could we use our future first for that and something else? eg a third round pick?  Could be useful for derksen or to package with the ANB pick to go a bit higher?

Yes, we might have to sweeten the deal (as you've suggested) for a top 10 pick

Reality is that if a club can add 2 or 3 very good players every season, the window always stays open

2 is a very good result, 3 is great and 1 is still better than none

We'll probably bring in 7-8 players this off season but how many will be top players?

2 x top 10 picks gives us our best chance of adding 2 very good players (Mids preferred?)

• Like 2

Would love the Demons to have 2 top 10 picks in this year's AFL Draft.

But one top 10 pick (currently #5 moving to #6) and maybe a pick in the top 20 would be wonderful.

It seems like we have too much competition for Gold Coast's pick 11#, but hopefully we could snare one of Fremantle's picks or maybe Brisbane's or even GWS?

Essendon might give up pick #9 due to their NGA prospect Isaac Kako possibly going quite high in this year's draft. But I doubt they want to give up their first round pick this year.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Would love the Demons to have 2 top 10 picks in this year's AFL Draft.

Impossible to see how that happens. 2 in the top 15 might work.

In any case, this year's draft has now been compromised somewhat by those high compensation picks pushing everything back.

• Like 2

For superstars Battle & Perryman... bugger me. After Ben McKay last year. What a sh*t show.

Having said that, it may be hard with Freo, but I could see Richmond maybe wanting to get some picks moved to next year. Better to spread the talent influx where you can. And everyone loves a deathride.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Impossible to see how that happens. 2 in the top 15 might work.

In any case, this year's draft has now been compromised somewhat by those high compensation picks pushing everything back.

Yeah in terms of a straight swap realistically its more likely to be for GWS comp pick which will end up as #17 which I think is a bit risky with where we're at right now.

Would we look at packaging out pick 28 this year and next years 1st rounder to get a little higher for our second pick?

Anyone know what that might look like as a realistic trade with one of the sellers in mid first round?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

For superstars Battle & Perryman... bugger me. After Ben McKay last year. What a sh*t show.

Having said that, it may be hard with Freo, but I could see Richmond maybe wanting to get some picks moved to next year. Better to spread the talent influx where you can. And everyone loves a deathride.

I’m now firmly of the opinion that the AFL is trying to make it really obvious to clubs that the compensation for teams that finish lower will be really strong. I think they are trying to have clubs be more open to Free Agency, and to structure contracts as such. Why sign a player who’s good but not great beyond their FA year, if you can be rewarded with a top 10 pick for them?

I think the AFL has been disappointed with the impact of FA, and this is their way of making it more palatable for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

37 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I’m now firmly of the opinion that the AFL is trying to make it really obvious to clubs that the compensation for teams that finish lower will be really strong. I think they are trying to have clubs be more open to Free Agency, and to structure contracts as such. Why sign a player who’s good but not great beyond their FA year, if you can be rewarded with a top 10 pick for them?

I think the AFL has been disappointed with the impact of FA, and this is their way of making it more palatable for everyone.

I think they’re trying to compensate bad teams because they know how much free agency screws them, even if the net result is it encourages players to cut and run.

The league had no choice but to agree to free agency. But I’m sure they hoped the cap space would be used by bad teams to bring in good players not the other way.

• Like 3

Would like us to give up 5 and F1st to NM for 2 and a F2nd.  Really want that Langford!!

• Haha 1
  • Vomit 3

55 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think they’re trying to compensate bad teams because they know how much free agency screws them, even if the net result is it encourages players to cut and run.

The league had no choice but to agree to free agency. But I’m sure they hoped the cap space would be used by bad teams to bring in good players not the other way.

What they should do is allow clubs to trade players in contract without needing their approval. That means while a player is contracted the club has control, once the contract is up he is a free agent and the player has control.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned. MFC are interested in Lion's first rounder, pick 20. They need the points for Ashcroft. Apart from 28, for lower picks we have 40, 48, 53, 64. Then maybe add a 3rd round pick for Tomlinson if anything goes through under FA.

Not sure how much we'd have to give up for pick 20, but we obviously aren't going to take all those lower picks to the draft.

"The Lions will have multiple takers for the pick, with the Giants, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs among the clubs expected to hold extra middle-range and later draft picks by deeper in the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period to have a swing at pushing up the draft board."

Edited by bing181
  • Like 2

We should be in the conversation for that pick but tigers will be hard to beat if they want it and it sounds like they do.

Tigers: 24, 32, 42, 43, 45, 51, 61, 70

Melbourne: 28, 40, 49, 54, 64

Bulldogs: 35, 48 (incoming Daniel, Macrae and ?Smith picks)

GWS: 21, 37, 53, 56

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Essendon might give up pick #9 due to their NGA prospect Isaac Kako possibly going quite high in this year's draft. But I doubt they want to give up their first round pick this year.

Think Essendon will be aiming to trade down so they can get Kako and a player before, if anything they will want our pick 5, so we should be able to get 9 and next years first if we wanted at a minimum 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nascent said:

Essentially we are interested in one of freos picks with our f1. May not happen if freo use two current first rounders for Bolton. 

We've been "blown out of the water" for suns pick 13 by other clubs.

Edited by David-Demon

6 hours ago, Garbo said:

Think Essendon will be aiming to trade down so they can get Kako and a player before, if anything they will want our pick 5, so we should be able to get 9 and next years first if we wanted at a minimum 

Amazing that getting thumped by Collingwood in the final round dropped us from this p9 to our current p5.

I don't want to trade down the order as we're in the prime spot at p5 imv.

However, an Essendon death ride would be epic fun for 2025

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I think when you add them to our established senior core I believe our list is pretty sound. We need to recruit mids, I'd love McAdam to fulfil his talked about potential and I'd love a big, mobile key forward who can ruck, you know like that guy Jackson in Fremantle. 

so why did you sign Fullerton ?  I reckon we should have tried harder to keep Jackson.

On 07/10/2024 at 00:30, Fat Tony said:

Viney is not much of a forward IMO.

Given our list construct, with Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Pickett as good centre square players (assuming Oliver's hand heals) the perfect draftee for us would be a player who can play 2025 in a periphery role but can develop into a centre midfielder in future years. The Dogs drafted Rylie Sanders, who looks a centre midfield only, and they got limited value out of him this year as he wasn't able to play another role. By contrast, Windsor was able to play as a wing (or probably half back or half forward) and was more valuable this year.

I think the bigger centre circle and the 6,6,6 rule has made a difference in what types of midfielders do well at centre bounces and that skill and speed has become more important than grunt.

I think the deeper answer to your question is that we need to balance the need for inside mid needs against outside mids. As for Viney, he is not a forward-line player but a needed centre-line player.

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

Twomey reporting that 10 and 18 are going to Richmond for Bolton. Means the trade with Freo is likely off.

I hope Richmond might be opening to taking our F1 for 10. They can still draft loads of kids this year while having flexibility for whatever opens up next year.

We might need to throw in a sweetener but i'd prefer to get quality kids in now and back ourselves for a better year in 2025.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Sounds like Richmond may do an early GWS... Draft lots and then trade the ok but not great players for more draft picks.

Makes sense and gives you a much higher success rate. Amazing what GWS did in those early years but still missed out.

Something tells me that Tasmania will not be given the run with draft picks that GWS and GCS received. You have to bear in mind they are not an "AFL conceived" team

• Like 2

Geelong managed to effectively build a multi premiership list with a lot of talent coming in two strong drafts (note father son selections aside, most are not really high picks):

1999 Draft 
Pick 8 - Joel Corey 

Pick 31 - Paul Chapman  

Pick 38 - Cameron Ling 

Pick 47 - Corey Enright  

2001 Draft 
Pick 8 – Jimmy Bartel

Pick 17 - James Kelly

Pick 24 - Steve Johnson

Pick 40 (Father/Son Selection) - Gary Ablett Jr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

Twomey reporting that 10 and 18 are going to Richmond for Bolton. Means the trade with Freo is likely off.

I hope Richmond might be opening to taking our F1 for 10. They can still draft loads of kids this year while having flexibility for whatever opens up next year.

We might need to throw in a sweetener but i'd prefer to get quality kids in now and back ourselves for a better year in 2025.

If Richmond think we're a genuine bottom 4 side next year they might go for it.

6 hours ago, No10 said:

Amazing that getting thumped by Collingwood in the final round dropped us from this p9 to our current p5.

I don't think the club were all that desperate to win the game given the draft order at stake, compared to the relative hunger that Collingwood showed.

ANB squibbed a contest early (at least by his high standards) and I thought that set the tone for the rest of the evening.

GC certainly made it interesting by not thrashing Richmond as they were close to finishing below us on percentage.

• Like 2