Jump to content

Featured Replies

Posted

MELBOURNE will not have access to tall forward prospect Tairon Ah-Mu under Next Generation Academy rules when the 17-year-old hits his draft season next year (afl.com.au)

Ah-Mu is a member of the Demons' NGA program but under the AFL's eligibility criteria, he does not qualify for the club to have any priority access over him as a draftee.

Ah-Mu kicked three goals for the Dandenong Stingrays on Saturday against the Gippsland Power, taking the straight-kicking key forward's tally to 21.5 from 10 games this season.

Does anyone know why?

 

 

I’m not surprised anymore.

Our luck we’ll have a father/son ranked number 1 and they’ll change the rules for that year. 

Wtf....

We lost Mac due to rule change. Now they've changed the rules he should be all ours. We need to actually put up a stink about it

 

Why are there any academies in the first place? if we can't access these players through our NGA what is the point?

Just to serve and prop up the NSW and QLD teams. Sick of reading these [censored] stories over and over.

Another Mac Andrew 💩 sandwich all over again from the AFL.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges

3 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Wtf....

We lost Mac due to rule change. Now they've changed the rules he should be all ours. We need to actually put up a stink about it

F'n oath. 

I've just about had enough.


Is he a draft prospect this year? I thought it was next year.

So this means the Bombers can’t draft that small forward either. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Windsor said:

Is he a draft prospect this year? I thought it was next year.

So this means the Bombers can’t draft that small forward either. 

He's for next years draft.

Kako still qualifies for the bombers NGA this year and will get access.

The main thing that needs to be explained is why a player can qualify to be developed in our NGA system yet doesn't qualify for priority access.

 
8 minutes ago, Sir Windsor said:

Is he a draft prospect this year? I thought it was next year.

So this means the Bombers can’t draft that small forward either. 

No, it’s next year they’re changing the rules again for. Screwed Melbourne directly twice. The only reason I can come up with is he hasn’t been with our academy long enough, similar to the Riley sanders in north academy last year (although bidding rules prevented them anyways). Still a croc, an absolute stink should be made by us. 


I seriously hope we kick up a stink about this

The AFL made a whole song and dance about making NGAs worthwhile for clubs and yet in the first instance we can’t draft a player we’ve invested in?

What is the point of having NGAs at all if there’s no guarantee these kids can be drafted by their respective clubs?

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just seen Cal Twomeys response.

 

Not blaming Cal but what a ridiculous explanation - how can he be part of the NGA then? What incentive is there if he can’t be drafted under it anyway?

So Melbournes NGA is open to being joined by players who are ineligible to use it as their pathway to being drafted? 

There’s something very misleading about all this. Who else is ineligible to take their pathway? Has Kalani jumped through the AFLs DNA testing hoops yet or are they going to rule against him joining us too? 

The rules to be drafted under the NGA for non Indigenous boys are:

participant born overseas or have at least one parent born overseas

There’s also an age by which you have to be in an academy. You can’t just roll in last minute.

So Ah-Mu either wasn’t in our academy early enough or he and his parents don’t match the criteria but they’ve let him train in the academy because he’s multicultural.

The whole concept is fundamentally flawed if not entirely discriminatory but the idea Cam McKenzie, James Borlase and the Closehy brothers are eligible and this kid isn’t makes a mockery of the whole thing. 


Will be great to see the Swans win another flag based purely on their unfair academy advantages 

Almost Zero chance Heeney, Gulden, Blakey or Mills are in their team otherwise 

16 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Will be great to see the Swans win another flag based purely on their unfair academy advantages 

Almost Zero chance Heeney, Gulden, Blakey or Mills are in their team otherwise 

yep and Heeney won the game for them when they are almost gone. absolute joke. like Jeff Whites son wouldn't have played Aussie rules if not for an academy. 

38 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Not blaming Cal but what a ridiculous explanation - how can he be part of the NGA then? What incentive is there if he can’t be drafted under it anyway?

Exactly.  There is no explanation.  Is it both parents born in Aus, hasn't been in long enough, WHAT!?

Sounds like something the MFC would have been long aware of - I suspect the news about his ineligibility is to calm the fawning masses (e.g. us) from getting over excited about a player we were never eligible to select 


Well we should be seeking compo over rule changes that cost us a number 5 pick in Mac Andrea a year after Dogs got JUH and then the rules changed back again. 

Maybe the compo should be access to this kid. Be hard for any other club to complain, given we are the biggest loser of the AFL rule changes.

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Well we should be seeking compo over rule changes that cost us a number 5 pick in Mac Andrea a year after Dogs got JUH and then the rules changed back again. 

Maybe the compo should be access to this kid. Be hard for any other club to complain, given we are the biggest loser of the AFL rule changes.

Melbourne  ??? Not a chance ...

I have no idea about Ah-Mu's personal background other than reportedly being of 'Samoan descent', but there is a distinction in the classification of a directly 'Qualified' NGA player and a 'CaLD' NGA player. 

For those not Indigenous or themselves born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (that is, classified by the ABS as not a 'main English-speaking' country), a 'Qualified NGA' player requires one of their parents to have been born in Africa or Asia. For a CaLD NGA player to be Qualified, both parents need to have been born overseas in a culturally and linguistically diverse country.  

 

 

Having more good players in the academy lifts the standards and the quality of the academy (other participants) - so there's still benefits of him being there.

As to the Northern Academy's, if they didn't exist then talented players don't get to train and play with/against enough good players to improve (at the same rate as AFL states).

E.g In Melbourne there could be hundreds of kids (majority of a team) who can kick a ball properly on the run at the age of 13/ 14, providing greater opportunity to enhance their marking skills (can't practice marking the ball, if it doesn't get to you). This means these Victorian's are getting exposed to more complicated and better training drills far earlier than their Northern Counterparts (without the academies). 

Even at the 18s Victorian's train and play at the Coates league level for the entire season, while the Nortern Academy's get a handful of games in April/May. Then back to uncompetitive club football.

What a lot of people don't understand is without the Northern Academy's, these players won't get the necessary development to be drafted, or at best be drafted late or as rookies. Consequently the 4  Northern clubs would have to pick more of the best Victorian, SA and WA kids - diluting the pool further for the other clubs.

Edited by Ungarieboy


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

Featured Content

  • REPORT: Geelong

    I was disappointed to hear Goody say at his post match presser after the team’s 39 point defeat against Geelong that "we're getting high quality entry, just poor execution" because Melbourne’s problems extend far beyond that after its 0 - 4 start to the 2025 football season. There are clearly problems with poor execution, some of which were evident well before the current season and were in play when the Demons met the Cats in early May last year and beat them in a near top-of-the-table clash that saw both sides sitting comfortably in the top four after round eight. Since that game, the Demons’ performances have been positively Third World with only five wins in 19 games with a no longer majestic midfield and a dysfunctional forward line that has become too easy for opposing coaches to counter. This is an area of their game that is currently being played out as if they were all completely panic-stricken.

      • Thanks
      • Like
    • 0 replies
    Demonland
  • PREGAME: Essendon

    Facing the very real and daunting prospect of starting the season with five straight losses, the Demons head to South Australia for the annual Gather Round, where they’ll take on the Bombers in search of their first win of the year. Who comes in, and who comes out?

      • Thanks
    • 119 replies
    Demonland
  • NON-MFC: Round 04

    Round 4 kicks off with a blockbuster on Thursday night as traditional rivals Collingwood and Carlton clash at the MCG, with the Magpies looking to assert themselves as early-season contenders and the Blues seeking their first win of the season. Saturday opens with Gold Coast hosting Adelaide, a key test for the Suns as they aim to back up their big win last week, while the Crows will be looking to keep their perfect record intact. Reigning wooden spooners Richmond have the daunting task of facing reigning premiers Brisbane at the ‘G and the Lions will be eager to reaffirm their premiership credentials after a patchy start. Saturday night sees North Melbourne take on Sydney at Marvel Stadium, with the Swans looking to build on their first win of the season last week against a rebuilding Roos outfit. Sunday’s action begins with GWS hosting West Coast at ENGIE Stadium, a game that could get ugly very early for the visitors. Port Adelaide vs St Kilda at Adelaide Oval looms as a interesting clash, with both clubs form being very hard to read. The round wraps up with Fremantle taking on the Western Bulldogs at Optus Stadium in what could be a fierce contest between two sides with top-eight ambitions. Who are you tipping this week and what are the best results for the Demons besides us winning?

      • Thanks
    • 251 replies
    Demonland
  • PODCAST: Geelong

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 7th April @ the all new time of 8:00pm. Join Binman, George & I as we dissect another Demons loss at Kardinia Park to the Cats in the Round 04. Your questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

      • Thanks
    • 33 replies
    Demonland
  • VOTES: Geelong

    Captain Max Gawn leads the Demonland Player of the Year in his quest to take out his 3rd trophy. He leads Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver who are in equal 2nd place followed by Kade Chandler and Jake Bowey. You votes please. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1.

      • Thanks
    • 28 replies
    Demonland
  • POSTGAME: Geelong

    The Demons have slumped to their worst start to a season since 2012, falling to 0–4 after a more spirited showing against the Cats at Kardinia Park. Despite the improved effort, they went down by 39 points, and the road ahead is looking increasingly grim.

      • Sad
    • 299 replies
    Demonland