Max Gawn Re-Signs Until 2027

Brilliant news. Big Max is by far and away my favourite Dee. Love how he goes about. I wasn’t confident that he would extend that long. When he said on the Gus and Gawny podcast that he was unlikely to play 250 I thought he had plans to retire. Delighted he is hanging around for 3 more years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Max is a physical beast

Im pumped he has such confidence in his body. He is such a proud man, there is no way he would be happy seeing out a contract not playing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

I finally got my three year old vaguely interested in watching footy. We watched the game yesterday and he wanted "Big Maxy to win". 

Well done, big fella. Anything to stave off that bloody Carlton theme song that my son keeps singing.

Last night Tmac told us that Leo has worked out how to get YouTube up and navigate the menus. Tmac says now every day he is forced to listen to each and every club song… loud.

Leo’s favourite is the Crows song 😭

• Haha 5
  • Clap 1

42 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

So tell me the details of the contract extension?

Maybe he's taking a huge pay cut? 

If I were Jack and Max, I’d be doing the same thing at their age. Creating a little extra room. The Cats and Hawks did it. Why not. 

Jesus I don't agree with all things @DeeSpencer but the pile on has been a bit pathetic purely for having a different opinion.

If you doesn't agree, cool, either ignore him or make a counter argument instead of dropping the nuffy response of "go and support another team".

DS is clearly a passionate supporter who clearly doesn't see things through the rosy red and blue lenses like some on here do.

He just calls it as he sees it and I think it's a good to have different sets of opinions even if you don't agree with it because it gives a different perspective on the topic.

Now on the Max signing, the way I look at it is that they're now putting a transition timeline for our next hire apprentice. 

We'll clearly target a young ruck either this off season or next and with Kalani White also coming through he'll have at least 2 years with Max as an apprentice. That's great development right there!

I would like to think that if we are to start a transition plan then that means Max will slowly start to phase out to a forward instead of a starting ruck giving the next person more opportunities as a starting ruckman and Max as the secondary chop out.

Max will also finish the year on 224 games.  This means he'll surpass 250 games which is just a remarkable effort considering how slow he started with his AFL! Personally I just didn't think he'd get there at all just with all hid injuries he had earlier on.

All in all a great signing for the footy club! but please let's give him a chop out with the media commitment when [censored] hits the fan. Max shouldn't have to be the face of the club amongst everything negative. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

8 minutes ago, H_T said:

If I were Jack and Max, I’d be doing the same thing at their age. Creating a little extra room. The Cats and Hawks did it. Why not. 

I would imagine they will/ have been set up for life after footy.

some more tv/ commentating (similar to Dangerfield) keep the $$ rolling in. I presume this stuff is outside the cap?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jesus I don't agree with all things @DeeSpencer but the pile on has been a bit pathetic purely for having a different opinion.

Totally fine to have a different opinion. But he literally inferred that Gawn is a poor leader for extending for 3 years and not going year by year, and collecting a paycheck, which is a [censored] take and completely bloody unnecessary for a warrior of our footy club!

It’s never what you say, but how you say it. 
In a week where our club has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, would it kill supporters to be happy about some positive news? 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Absolutely bizarre extension. 

Leadership is going year by year when you’re 32, not asking for a 3 year deal.

Zero faith in the Melbourne list management team. 

Goldstein plays aged 36.

Sandilands plays age 36.

Mumford plays aged 35

In Gawn's last year (2027) he'll be 35.

He's about to earn AA at 32.

It's hardly a stretch to extend him now, especially as the club wants to know it's spending capacity on the eve of trades.

• Like 16
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Totally fine to have a different opinion. But he literally inferred that Gawn is a poor leader for extending for 3 years and not going year by year, and collecting a paycheck, which is a [censored] take and completely bloody unnecessary for a warrior of our footy club!

It’s never what you say, but how you say it. 
In a week where our club has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, would it kill supporters to be happy about some positive news? 

I've learnt over time with some of his arguments to either shake my head or just laugh and ignore.

I don't know who me said it before but let's not give it air time and take away the good news story.

• Like 7

Superb news.  Maxy saying...

"Come with me big boys.  And by the way, to all those sticking the boots in... GAGS!"

• Love 1

For the surety of another 2 years until retirement, Max no doubt would’ve happily taken less for the betterment of the team and rewarding players deserving an improved contract (I’m meaning you Trent Rivers).

It will also allow us to make a play for FA’s or take on some salary for better picks.

There is literally no downside to this extension. Arguably our best skip since RDB, and even should Max never play another game, this financial security is just reward for our premiership captain.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I'd estimate that 90% of the barneys that people have on this site are simply down to a lack of nuance in what they're trying to say. 

How dare you say that!!!

• Haha 4
  • Clap 1

The larger game is a 36 year old with 1000 injuries collecting a pay cheque like Ben Brown was this year.

It’s ok to just be patient with veterans and sign them when required.

If the club needed a sugar hit of a Gawn extension we are in big trouble.

I agree. 3 year deal at his age is great for Max not for MFC.

His insistence on playing when injured has been detrimental to the Club.

We need to bring on some new young ruckmen.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I agree. 3 year deal at his age is great for Max not for MFC.

His insistence on playing when injured has been detrimental to the Club.

We need to bring on some new young ruckmen.

It will just be the 2 of us but welcome aboard 

Given Max is very likely to be the All Australian ruckman this year i really don't see any issue with him signing on for 3 years. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

To be fair, he did basically turn up to a birthday party and announce the likelihood of getting prostate cancer at that age.

So, you know, booooooooooooooo.

• Haha 6

Poor old @DeeSpencer is like the Hamburgler in The Simpsons, such is the pummelling he's received in this thread.

"Stop! Stop! He's already dead!"

I'm fine with Max playing on until 36-37.

Max did imply at the start of last year when he did his knee injury that he was thinking that he'd give it away though, so it's not the wildest assessment from DS.

However, as @Gatorpoints out, the ruck position seems to be a role that older blokes can continue to play well into their mid 30s.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1

I have no doubt there are clauses in his contract relating to serious injuries @Binmans PA

I don’t think he would want to rehab another ACL, but my god he’s a resilient man. His ability to recover and play injured is remarkable. Would anyone even suspect he was playing with a fractured ankle the last two weeks? 

• Like 4

The larger game is a 36 year old with 1000 injuries collecting a pay cheque like Ben Brown was this year.

It’s ok to just be patient with veterans and sign them when required.

If the club needed a sugar hit of a Gawn extension we are in big trouble.

Not only is your take on this absolute garbage, it's delusional to think a contract extension is negotiated with someone like Max since the Petracca drama started 5 minutes ago, they would have been talking about this for weeks. 

I would happily pay max til he's 40 for what he's done for this club, not just lifting the cup, but dragging us from a mediocre nothing club to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1