Oliver Trade Rumours

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Both Oliver & Petracca are 100% to blame

Have we seen Gawn, Viney, Rivers et al behave in the same way.  No

It's just those 2 but they just happen to be our best 2 players.  But I can put that aside because the club comes first 

I'd like to know how the club made Oliver go off the rails?  Please explain

As for Petracca and his petty attitude dragging the club through the mud for close on 3 weeks, that was disgraceful

Give it a rest Macca, you’ve made your point more than once.

• Like 2

Just now, Macca said:

Well you are wasting my time so what do you expect

You and numerous others here need to stop blaming the club because of the poor behaviour of 2 players

If they were lesser lights, nearly everyone would want both players out of the club

A rule for some and a different rule for others?  That's toxic and you never win with that scenario

I never blamed the club for the behaviour of our players. I don't know how you got that impression at all? Oliver's issues have been discussed to death, if the club believes it's best to move him on I am completely fine with that.

What I'm not happy with is how the club has handled the potential trade. They have made our position weaker on numerous occasions, by flip-flopping rather than maintaining any semblance of a poker face. You can call that playing the game if you like but I think it makes us look stupid.

• Like 2

Just now, Slartibartfast said:

Ok, so you don't agree with what I'm saying, that's fair enough, Baghdad

But if I keep getting quoted my only reply can be what I've already said

And that is that you cannot have 2 renegade players rule the roost

Given your experience, I'm surprised that you're not agreeing with me

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

I never blamed the club for the behaviour of our players. I don't know how you got that impression at all? Oliver's issues have been discussed to death, if the club believes it's best to move him on I am completely fine with that.

What I'm not happy with is how the club has handled the potential trade. They have made our position weaker on numerous occasions, by flip-flopping rather than maintaining any semblance of a poker face. You can call that playing the game if you like but I think it makes us look stupid.

We were never coming from a strong position anyway so it would not matter what we said (or are saying)

Maybe 'No comment' but even that creates a storm and garners scorn

We've got 2 problem players on huge contracts who are virtually untradeable.  We can't tear up the contracts but are the problems going away?  

We'll have to wait and see but I'm not holding my breath

If they were lesser lights they'd both be gone already

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

the sh*t show is the media's.  They've been told that he's not going, by both Melbourne and Geelong.  The media are literal sh*tstains on society.

There's a reason legacy MSM is a dying species. And good riddance!

• Clap 1

21 minutes ago, Macca said:

Both Oliver & Petracca are 100% to blame

Have we seen Gawn, Viney, Rivers et al behave in the same way.  No

It's just those 2 but they just happen to be our best 2 players.  But I can put that aside because the club comes first 

I'd like to know how the club made Oliver go off the rails?  Please explain

As for Petracca and his petty attitude dragging the club through the mud for close on 3 weeks, that was disgraceful

100% ??? How do you know that??

And we don't know whether Clarry has gone "off the rails"? That's a rumour I wouldn't be pushing... It could be he has had some missteps (as originally reported, at the Brownlow/doc appointments), who knows? We don't know the magnitude and we still don't know who is actually pushing it. What I do know is that the trade talk has seemed at odds with Clarry's very recent comments in this space. So the leaks, and the way we have "shopped" him has been very poor. Whether he deserves to be traded or not (and I agree, club comes first), you look after the club and ensure we get the best return possible - which WILL NOT happen in this case.

With Trac, it would appear some was driven by branding/diva attitude, but again, how to tell? We had so many mixed messages from the club. Seems he had some issues with the club - which given how things have gone/are going, maybe deserved to be heard? Probably should have been aired out better, but it doesn't mean he was wrong. 

Edited by Red But Mostly Blue
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

100% ??? How do you know that??

And we don't know whether Clarry has gone "off the rails"? That's a rumour I'd wouldn't be pushing... It could be he has had some missteps (as originally reported, at the Brownlow/doc appointments), who knows? We don't know the magnitude and we still don't know who is actually pushing it. What I do know is that the trade talk has seemed at odds with Clarry's very recent comments in this space. So the leaks, and the way we have "shopped" him has been very poor. Whether he deserves to be traded or not (and I agree, club comes first), you look after the club and ensure we get the best return possible - which WILL NOT happen in this case.

With Trac, it would appear some was driven by branding/diva attitude, but again, how to tell? We had so many mixed messages from the club. Seems he had some issues with the club - which given how things have gone/are going, maybe deserved to be heard? Probably should have been aired out better, but it doesn't mean he was wrong. 

So Oliver was squeaky clean in 2023?  Really?  I seem to remember him missing 3 months with some sort of mystery ailment

And then he lost the trust of the players and the FD.  That's ok?

Oh, and we put him up for trade in 2023 as well.  Is that the clubs fault?  Seriously? 

And then this season after picking up his monthly cheque of $100,000k he decides to present himself unfit and overweight

That's ok as well? 

As for Petracca, where do we start?

• Like 1

Just now, Macca said:

We were never coming from a strong position anyway so it would not matter what we said (or are saying)

Maybe 'No comment' but even that creates a storm and garners scorn

We've got 2 problem players on huge contracts who are virtually untradeable.  We can't tear up the contracts but are the problems going away?  

We'll have to wait and see but I'm not holding my breath

Even they were lesser lights they'd both be gone already

I said it in another post. You take the Paul Roos position: "every player is tradable for the right price."

If Oliver's manager was coming to us midyear to discuss a possible trade we should not have shut it down but said "make us an offer". Keep the ball in Geelong's court and see what they were willing to pony up. Furthermore if Oliver wanted to explore his options, let him. If we're in the position where we have a contracted player who wants to leave and a club that wants to get him we have the most leverage.

As soon as we became the ones shopping him that leverage was gone and Geelong knew it. No big statement at the BnF was going to change that.

Just now, KozzyCan said:

I said it in another post. You take the Paul Roos position: "every player is tradable for the right price."

If Oliver's manager was coming to us midyear to discuss a possible trade we should not have shut it down but said "make us an offer". Keep the ball in Geelong's court and see what they were willing to pony up. Furthermore if Oliver wanted to explore his options, let him. If we're in the position where we have a contracted player who wants to leave and a club that wants to get him we have the most leverage.

As soon as we became the ones shopping him that leverage was gone and Geelong knew it. No big statement at the BnF was going to change that.

Oliver is virtually untradeable unless we accept massive unders.  So it looks like we're stuck with him

As for the clubs stance, they have to play the poker face as there might be a club or 2 who might want him

1 minute ago, Macca said:

So Oliver was squeaky clean in 2023?  Really?  I seem to remember him missing 3 months with some sort of mystery ailment

And then he lost the trust of the players and the FD.  That's ok?

Oh, and we put him up for trade in 2023 as well.  Is that the clubs fault?  Seriously? 

And then this season after picking up his monthly cheque of $100,000k he decides to present himself unfit and overweight

That's ok as well? 

As for Petracca, where do we start?

Never said he was squeaky clean. Other clubs have similar 'issues' and yet don't have to go through this!! 

Therein lies my issue. If Clarry/Trac had issues, fine, but we could have internalised them better to protect OUR brand and ability to obtain fair compensation should we trade either of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

Oliver is virtually untradeable unless we accept massive unders.  So it looks like we're stuck with him

As for the clubs stance, they have to play the poker face as there might be a club or 2 who might want him

Apart from the fact that Geelong have clearly been planning this for a year.

The club has no poker face. Anyone could call their bluff.

But I think this discussion has run it's course. Have a good one.

1 minute ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Never said he was squeaky clean. Other clubs have similar 'issues' and yet don't have to go through this!! 

Therein lies my issue. If Clarry/Trac had issues, fine, but we could have internalised them better to protect OUR brand and ability to obtain fair compensation should we trade either of them. 

How do you internalise things in footy?  It's virtually impossible when the issues are massive

As for the leaks, look for the player managers as Roos pointed out a decade ago

It's hard to see because there's not great visibility but the easy option is to blame the club

I feel sorry for Kate Roffey because as far as I'm concerned she did nothing wrong.  But the wolves wanted answers and she gave them nothing

The sacrificial lamb

Wasn’t The Brand annoyed that not everyone on the list behaved and trained like a very well paid professional sportsman should in a team sport? The Brand works incredibly hard to present in their absolute best shape and wants to win Flags. It all played out poorly for them and the club but I find it interesting that since then it feels Oliver is being pushed out. I don’t know the inner workings but the vibe I get is there’s many in the club who are sick of his issues and want a fresh start, The Brand well and truly included in this group. Isn’t it this division within the club that has allowed the media a field day on half truths, innuendo and mere speculation? Get on the same page people!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Wow. Just WOW. I logged on because I really miss Demonland and I wanted to share in the joy of our stirring win tonight  and within 60 seconds I was reminded of why I bailed in the first place, namely, DazzleDavey36.

Incidentally, the B&F was organised differently this year in that the players weren’t approached at any time other than the three pre-planned breaks at which times the players would congregate in a designated area for the express purpose of signatures and pics. I was tasked with taking a shy special-needs member of the DA around to get pics of him with players. But if that makes anyone cringe… whatever.

Anyways, just letting folks know that the sole reason I’ll not be a part of this forum again is that obnoxious bully DazzleDavy36 who has worn me down by attrition. I hope you’re proud of yourself, you’re a bully who’s won. Great going, hero.

@Demonland  Andy, gotta say it’s disappointing that bullies are afforded the freedom to hurt people. It really should be curtailed. I paid for a life membership and I’ve made donations to DL so to be driven out is super unfair.

i was gonna reply to PMs but I can’t bring myself to be on here for much longer after reading the comments in this thread. Thank you to folks who’ve reached out in PMs and I’m really sorry I can’t reply.

WCW out for good 😢

The hits keep coming. Wait till Tom Morris gets hold of this story.  😭

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KozzyCan said:

The club has no poker face. Anyone could call their bluff.

But I think this discussion has run it's course. Have a good one.

It certainly has but up until now, I've avoided this thread with regards to posting on the thread

But numerous others here especially many veteran posters were earlier saying the same thing as what I'm saying now

Has anything changed? 

All we're hearing is that Oliver wants to stay ... and I could give you $10Million reasons as to why he wants to stay

12 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

No two 'issues' are the same, and some 'issues' are more challenging to manage than other 'issues'. 

13 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

And using the media to influence the club to accept a lowball trade offer.

If Pert contacted other clubs to gauge interest in bettering Geelong's offer, isn't that just doing business? His only mistake would be that nothing stays 'within the room' in clubland, and asking for that is naive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

the sh*t show is the media's.  They've been told that he's not going, by both Melbourne and Geelong.  The media are literal sh*tstains on society.

Exactly. All this criticism, doomsaying, character-assassinating as result of what? The club has said multiple times: he won't be traded. Some media snipers dispute this but offer no actual evidence. People need to get a grip!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The pile-on the club with regards to the Oliver & Petracca issues is not just coming from the media, it's coming from supporters of all the other clubs and our own supporters

But there are a lot of very disappointed Demon supporters who are quite angry that we haven't won another flag in the last 3 years

So does that anger extends to blaming the club because we have 2 renegade players on our hands? Looks that way to me

Any excuse to pile on but any comparisons with the current situation to 2012/13 is quite ridiculous

Back then we really were a basket case with no redeeming features

The way I see it is that we are able to fix the Oliver/Petracca issues, we'll be fine

The supporters got their pound of flesh with Kate gone.  You want more?  A feeding frenzy? 

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

And using the media to influence the club to accept a lowball trade offer.

If Pert contacted other clubs to gauge interest in bettering Geelong's offer, isn't that just doing business? His only mistake would be that nothing stays 'within the room' in clubland, and asking for that is naive.

Excellent post, Clint

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Exactly. All this criticism, doomsaying, character-assassinating as result of what? The club has said multiple times: he won't be traded. Some media snipers dispute this but offer no actual evidence. People need to get a grip!!

Its what they get paid to do. Speculate based off of speculation. So many people here are getting sucked in.

When I see the name McClure next to anything I simply just ignore it. He's getting paid to be an ultracrepidarian. 

His goal is to keep pushing a story beyond truth to get clicks and make forums such as this go mental talking about him. He lost a lot of credit for his Harley Reid statements last year when he said "I'm telling you they're not going to pick him" (referring to West Coast) and many other occasions where his speculation was just simply false. He doesn't care, he wins either way. 

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Macca said:

The pile-on the club with regards to the Oliver & Petracca issues is not just coming from the media, it's coming from supporters of all the other clubs and our own supporters

It's coming from supporters of other clubs and our own supporters BECAUSE it's coming from the media, don't you see that?  The media are the ones setting the agenda. No one would be talking about this at all if Manure et al kept to not making up stories.

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Nothing more cringe then a drunk fan annoying an AFL player.. 

Or an adult saying “cringe” instead of “cringeworthy”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 3

2 hours ago, Macca said:

I wonder who or what was dragging us through the mud for the previous 2 years though? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Completely agree Starti . 
Macca as in all things it takes 2 to tango. Heard of that?

It’s not completely their  fault and if both parties had agreed to full and frank discussions at least with empathy from the Club how both were coming from it might have circumvented much of the outside media picnic.

The media needs to know that its decisions have been made ( and Trac and Clarry’s also ) hold ONE presser with Greeny Simon and Max plus the two and end the matter with questions to finalise the whole thing and any other matters of concern. End of story the Club or players will not be available to discuss these matters they are finished and we are not available to anyone who wishes to keep pushing their barrow for cheap and over exaggerated wishes to put the Club down. 

BTW what if any role did the leadership group play in this ? Surely some of this could be handled by them. I don’t like it that we refuse to really nominate a specific group of players and only Gawny and Jack are put forward. Time to change this fiasco and make it serious  and in public. 

Wouldn’t hurt to have both at some stage be on the leadership group to see how 40 plus players need allies like them at some stage. 

Enough said Macca put your pen down please!!! 

• Like 1