Oliver Trade Rumours

This is from someone that attended the B & F. Some want to hear this, some don’t. No biggie. The below was sent to me. 

I said “Please Clarrie, tell me you’re not leaving us.” He just smiled. I was drunk as it was but then the anger kicked in. I said, “This is messed up. Why are you doing this?!” He said, “Remember what I’ve told you before? The only way I’d leave the club is if they booted me out, otherwise I’m not going anywhere. That still stands and always will.”
 I said, “If Pert or whoever dares to offload you, I’ll burn down the MCG.”
He said, “Don’t believe everything you read.” 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

This is from someone that attended the B & F. Some want to hear this, some don’t. No biggie. The below was sent to me. 

I said “Please Clarrie, tell me you’re not leaving us.” He just smiled. I was drunk as it was but then the anger kicked in. I said, “This is messed up. Why are you doing this?!” He said, “Remember what I’ve told you before? The only way I’d leave the club is if they booted me out, otherwise I’m not going anywhere. That still stands and always will.”

It doesn't really shed any light either way.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

unfortunately a lot of it is self-inflicted.

If you are referencing Oliver & Petracca then all the furore has been caused by the 2 players, not the club

Selfish, self entitled and greedy

Oliver went completely off the rails with Petracca sooking it up because he didn't get enough visits

Both can play and many will disagree but if viewed as commodities only, they owe the club - big time

Both need to perform or the supporters will really turn on them

They are getting paid a lot of money and the club will need a return on investment

Nearly all the issues we've seen at the club are attached to both players.  Both players have dragged the club through the mud

If you were Goodwin, you'd be tearing your hair out.  We can't expect the coach to be a trained psychologist 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Yeah, of course he doesn't want to leave

He's getting paid $10Million (guaranteed) over the next 6 years and who would walk away from that sort of money? 

And it's quite obvious that no other club would pay him that amount of money so of course he wants to stay

I'm wondering if there are clauses in his contract that can lead to a contract default.  If not, those clauses should exist

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Way too articulate to be Clazz I'm afraid

• Haha 5

FWIW - the following is a response from the club to an email i sent last week to Brad Green.

Thank you for your email.

We recognise that this has been a challenging time, and we truly appreciate the support of all our members.

As a club, we are continually seeking ways to improve, and your feedback plays a vital role in that process.

External experts have been engaged as part of both the Board and Football Department reviews. As previously communicated, the ambition of both review processes is to strive for excellence and to ensure, that as our game demands, we evolve to achieve sustained success.

The reviews of both the AFL program and the Board will be completed in October and the priorities identified will be communicated to members. 

In relation to the AFL Trade Period, we encourage you to only listen to direct club sources for your information. AFL List Manager Tim Lamb addressed media on Monday and made it abundantly clear that Clayton won't be going anywhere. You can have a watch of his interview here.

In addition, during his address at Friday night's AFL Best and Fairest, President Brad Green reinforced his excitement of seeing Clayton as part of our midfield in 2025. This speech can be viewed here.

With an increase in speculation and rumour, we know this time of year can be unsettling for our members and supporters. We encourage you to keep an eye on our club website for official updates.

We thank you again for reaching out to share your feedback. We truly value your thoughts and will be sure to relay them to the appropriate team.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, reynolds46 said:

FWIW - the following is a response from the club to an email i sent last week to Brad Green.

We recognise that this has been a challenging time, and we truly appreciate the support of all our members.

As a club, we are continually seeking ways to improve, and your feedback plays a vital role in that process.

External experts have been engaged as part of both the Board and Football Department reviews. As previously communicated, the ambition of both review processes is to strive for excellence and to ensure, that as our game demands, we evolve to achieve sustained success.

The reviews of both the AFL program and the Board will be completed in October and the priorities identified will be communicated to members. 

In relation to the AFL Trade Period, we encourage you to only listen to direct club sources for your information. AFL List Manager Tim Lamb addressed media on Monday and made it abundantly clear that Clayton won't be going anywhere. You can have a watch of his interview here.

In addition, during his address at Friday night's AFL Best and Fairest, President Brad Green reinforced his excitement of seeing Clayton as part of our midfield in 2025. This speech can be viewed here.

With an increase in speculation and rumour, we know this time of year can be unsettling for our members and supporters. We encourage you to keep an eye on our club website for official updates.

We thank you again for reaching out to share your feedback. We truly value your thoughts and will be sure to relay them to the appropriate team.

The club website 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, mo64 said:

100% agree. With that being the case, why are posters on here obsessed with potting the media, as if it's totally fabricated. You've even got a poster writing a complaint to the AFL, when they have no idea of what is accurate and what is not.

Supporters should be more upset with how the club have handled this rather than how the media have reported it.

Should i engage in negative supposition, err no

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mo64 said:

How do you know that? The club could easily have told Oliver, his management and the Geelong FC that he will be held to his contract, and there is no story. They clearly didn't, otherwise Oliver wouldn't have met with Geelong players.

To say it's media driven is nonsense. 

The meeting, from my reading, was organised by his manager. His motivation would have been money in his (the manager's) pocket. The Cats would be an easy sell: your own hectare or ten of land (in your parents' name), new cars courtesy of [dealer's name withheld] motors for all family members, sensational training facility a short drive from your farm, 40k lunatic fans cheering for you in our stadium every second week etc. As I've reported, I know how the club operates. I know the legacy that Frank has left.

Edited by M_9
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, reynolds46 said:

Interesting that he doesn't refer to Petracca.

FWIW, if Trac was really interested in going to Collingwood, he has lost me. How any Melbourne player could contemplate standing in a circle singing their song with that  POS Maynard is beyond my comprehension. If he was really contemplating it, I would let him go to Carlton for de Koning and McKay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Yeah, of course he doesn't want to leave

He's getting paid $10Million (guaranteed) over the next 6 years and who would walk away from that sort of money? 

And it's quite obvious that no other club would pay him that amount of money so of course he wants to stay

I'm wondering if there are clauses in his contract that can lead to a contract default.  If not, those clauses should exist

You could say he wakes up everyday 'feeling' a million bucks!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

You could say he wakes up everyday 'feeling' a million bucks!

Yep, like what is often said, follow the money

But what makes this situation so difficult is that both Petracca & Oliver are revered figures, premiership heroes and match winners.  Top players

We need to see all that again because after all, we are paying for it

In brutal terms, a return on investment is expected

• Thanks 1