Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

It's not going to be that...

unfortunately it's now about simply getting a mega contract off our books. The picks will be middling to reasonable without being high

Well unless we are trying to offload his contract to make space for another mega star player, this will absolutely not fly with supporters.

Would you be happy with trading Clarry for unders, watch him help Geelong contend YET AGAIN, and all we get out of it is salary cap relief which we don't need?

The members of this club have spoken loudly this year. We lost 10,000 members, and attendance dropped off. Trade Clarry for unders and watch the bottom fall out.

IF we trade Clarry, it has to result in someone very good coming back in return. Not more mid tier draft picks. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The good old “I took this meeting just to laugh in your face!” trick by Oliver…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

It's not going to be that...

unfortunately it's now about simply getting a mega contract off our books. The picks will be middling to reasonable without being high

your feelings or your info DJ? 

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Well unless we are trying to offload his contract to make space for another mega star player, this will absolutely not fly with supporters.

Would you be happy with trading Clarry for unders, watch him help Geelong contend YET AGAIN, and all we get out of it is salary cap relief which we don't need?

The members of this club have spoken loudly this year. We lost 10,000 members, and attendance dropped off. Trade Clarry for unders and watch the bottom fall out.

IF we trade Clarry, it has to result in someone very good coming back in return. Not more mid tier draft picks. 

Unfortunately the club will realise that if he stays we have a depreciating asset. The window is shut and it's time to think beyond the next two years.

Reading between the train tracks there is a mega undercurent of discontent in the upper echelons of the playing group.

Wish it wasn't so but it is becoming damningly obvious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

your feelings or your info DJ? 

just my feelings in the sense that we have three mega contracts on our books in the form of Brayshaw, Oliver and Petracca.

With the benefit of hindsight (form and injury) they were all two years too long.

Time now to look to the future

In the case of Brayshaw the AFL unfortunately want to get rid of long contracts (over 5 years) and we will be used as the scapegoat

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

So Tom Morris says this:

But then Jon Ralph’s article says this:

“Despite rival clubs continuing to ask about his availability the Demons will not trade the 27-year-old and had believed Oliver was content to remain at the club.

The club and Oliver were in contact again on Monday, and a player contracted for six more years had told them he was happy to stay at Melbourne.

While Oliver is a high-maintenance player who will always need care from the club the Demons are not interested in trading him.“

They don’t appear to me to be capable of both being true. 

Edit: Ralph also says:

“Oliver had considered whether to go overseas on a training camp but has spent time with family in Echuca and continued training.

He has had to have his hand monitored by medicos to assess its progress after surgery for an injury that impacted his season along with rib and knee injuries.

Melbourne’s Lachie Hunter retired last week so the Demons are even more aware of their need to boost their midfield stocks.“

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

just my feelings in the sense that we have three mega contracts on our books in the form of Brayshaw, Oliver and Petracca.

With the benefit of hindsight (form and injury) they were all two years too long.

Time now to look to the future

A future that may start to look a bit too much like our past I fear.

Edited by Wells 11

10 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Unfortunately the club will realise that if he stays we have a depreciating asset. The window is shut and it's time to think beyond the next two years.

Reading between the train tracks there is a mega undercurent of discontent in the upper echelons of the playing group.

Wish it wasn't so but it is becoming damningly obvious

Still doesn’t change the fact that unless you are replacing him with another asset then its all for nothing unless you only care about playing a million under the cap next year to make the balance sheet look better. As to discontent unless we have players saying it’s Oliver or me and those players are higher on the totem poll than Oliver then it makes even less sense

To whit do you trade in a Ferrari for a new VW golf because it broke down and is a deprecating asset  

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 1

Do we really think he will be the player he once was? If not, then why not let him leave?

He simply did not step up once Trac went down

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Would you have rather lost them to free agency? Because that was the alternative.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

First rounder and Jhye Clarke

clark hasn't shown much at this stage

i'll take sdk and future 1st and 2nd, which we then on trade to get higher up in to this year's first round

i'm personally not too concerned if oliver stays or goes at this point

it would be very sad, but clearly something needs to change in our playing ranks

• Like 5

1 hour ago, layzie said:

I would love someone to ask Kane point blank why exactly we should move heaven and earth to get him off our books. There have been a lot of implications made but right now at this point I want to hear his case. The people he is chatting with on these shows just take those implications and run with the narrative. 

My case right now is that I don't want to die wondering and give him the full pre season he deserves. There will be plenty of other years for the media to have a crack at this again, they're not gonna sell any less papers, subscriptions or clicks this year I promise. 

My source has reiterated that Geelong have or will offer considerable elements beyond football life. Dont shoot the messenger, but if he goes, then plenty on here will also go including ME!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

Do we really think he will be the player he once was? If not, then why not let him leave?

There’s plenty of evidence as to his fitness/injuries to explain why he didn’t step up this year. 

Surely we wait to see if a proper pre-season makes a difference rather than shipping off for unders. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

BECAUSE HE HAD A BADLY BROKEN HAND!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Out of courtesy, I think Oliver/his team should have provided a heads up

paging @Dannyz @Chook in Perth @goodwindees and the other recent Mailman (see what I did there Soundgarden fans) for the goss 

Clarry told his management he would like to see how this move could look/work

Happy to stay but assessing his options. Geelong surely wouldn't have $1M in cap sapce to pay him with Smith coming across. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Flowergirl said:

Who leaks to Tom Morris from MFC? 

Yeah THATS THE HUGE WORRY!☠️

• Like 2