The Dan Houston Thread

40 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Is this another BS Tom Morris rumour? We are enraged when Morris touts Clayton as gettable but come up with all connotations to get Houston across the line. He is contracted for 3 years and until he says he wants out I take this rumour with a grain of salt.

This one is Cal Twomey/Riley Beverage

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Is this another BS Tom Morris rumour? We are enraged when Morris touts Clayton as gettable but come up with all connotations to get Houston across the line. He is contracted for 3 years and until he says he wants out I take this rumour with a grain of salt.

Not a Tom Morris trash talk rumour. 

Having said that, can’t see Port trading him and if they do the price will be higher than we can pay. Unless Petty is part of the trade. 

2 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Got filled with anticipation as I read this yest on insider trading & was hoping (feeling) we were one of the clubs mentioned, he’d be on of the absolute most ideal candidates I can think of in terms of adding to finish-off our side.. attributes are EXACTLY what we need! He’d offer value for money if we don’t overpay (bearing in mind most clubs are forced too in this day and age to remove from existing club but being vic boy helps this) and so when I saw our names mentioned for him and also Cumming — who when on the highly watchable ‘Gettable’ was mentioned, I had exact same thought and hope.. so to see both again shows me our club are ALWAYS on-point in him we target.. exciting stuff! 

Yeah the I'm a huge fan of Cumming and glad we're targeting him. Have watched him closely and even last year he really got them going off half back last year.

He's a high end talent when fit.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love Salem but I think relying on him to play a critical role moving forward is fraught with danger.

Full time midfield rotation is what I should have said. I think he needs to reinvent and rejuvenate his career.

Id much rather see him at half forward and through the midfiled next year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I'd be all in favour of bringing Houston to the club but suspect this is like the Clarry story and is another one of the AFL media's attempts to drum up interest where there isn't anything actually happening.

And, like Clayton, is contracted for several years to come 

Generally where there is smoke there tends to be fire; Twomey going with the ‘Houston is from Victoria’ is as vague as Morris’ ‘other clubs believe Clayton is gettable, but MFC insists he’s going nowhere’ 

All good fodder

I had a look on the Port bigfooty board to see if they were treating this like us with Clarry (just clickbait with no substance) but they seem resigned to leaving him (though expecting significant comp).  However they were more concerned about the rumors of Butters wanting to come back to Melbourne (the City).  Apparently Hawthorn and Essendon are the front runners.

I do remember we were VERY keen on Butters in his draft year and with Brayshaw's $ being somewhat freed up along with a number of other well paid players contracts finishing (BBB, TMac etc?) could we make an offer?

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

I had a look on the Port bigfooty board to see if they were treating this like us with Clarry (just clickbait with no substance) but they seem resigned to leaving him (though expecting significant comp).  However they were more concerned about the rumors of Butters wanting to come back to Melbourne (the City).  Apparently Hawthorn and Essendon are the front runners.

I do remember we were VERY keen on Butters in his draft year and with Brayshaw's $ being somewhat freed up along with a number of other well paid players contracts finishing (BBB, TMac etc?) could we make an offer?

Butters just re-signed for 2 more years in December last year. The short contract suggests he's not set on Port but won't be going anywhere until contract is over. 

By that stage Viney might be on the decline so I would hope we might be in the mix.

Can you imagine? Butters, Trac, Rivers, Clayton, Kozzy with Windsor and McVee spending more time in midfield. Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

Butters just re-signed for 2 more years in December last year. The short contract suggests he's not set on Port but won't be going anywhere until contract is over. 

By that stage Viney might be on the decline so I would hope we might be in the mix.

Can you imagine? Butters, Trac, Rivers, Clayton, Kozzy with Windsor and McVee spending more time in midfield. Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

This is the go. I hope we're sniffing around Butters. 

If Hinkley goes, he may well ask to be traded. 

Allegedly, he waited for Hinkley to re-sign before he recommitted most recently, so it might be time.

If Port miss again, surely Hinkley gets the boot...

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2

Petty, Sparrow, 2024 Pick 1 for Butters and Houston? haha.

Seriously, this is gathering legs and im stoked that for once we have been linked to a player that is a gun. 

The more i see his stats and ranking and game impact, the more im thinking its akin to a top 10 pick. probably in the 5-10 range.

I had a view earlier this year that we should forget 'the reload and have another crack in 2025' and instead, look to the draft to accelerate a rebuild. However, after seeing the mouse pack, i think we have most of the puzzle pieces already to at least content for the next 5 years. The obvious questions will be around replacements for May, Gawn, TMac and whether Jeffo comes on and Petty sticks around. 

If we are able to obtain Houston for this years 1st round pick we will have an impressive 2025 side with some quality depth. 

D: AMW, May, McVee
HB: Petty, Lever, Houston
C: Windsor, Viney, Langdon
HF: ANB, Turner, Trac
F: Kozzy, JVR, Fritta
Foll: Oliver, Riv, Gawn

Bench from : TMac, Salem, Bowey, Woey, Jeffo, Chin, Sparrow, Howes

There's only 4 players over 30. A good chunk in the 25-29 bracket and plenty of youth. 

So in deciding between using this years 1st pick on Houston vs Draft, i have changed my mind that it is worth reloading for another tilt in 2025.  

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

No idea how much legs this has, but Houston on the HB line and Windsor on the wing is some serious weaponry.

Edited by Dee Zephyr

15 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Full time midfield rotation is what I should have said. I think he needs to reinvent and rejuvenate his career.

Id much rather see him at half forward and through the midfiled next year. 

Good point agree 

On 17/07/2024 at 19:07, Swooper Northey said:

Would be a very handy addition. Houston's inclusion at half back would free up Rivers to become a permanent mid. He's a great kick and would provide plenty of run. 

Rivers is already free and AMW is starting a career that looks very promising.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Seriously, this is gathering legs and im stoked that for once we have been linked to a player that is a gun. 

The more i see his stats and ranking and game impact, the more im thinking its akin to a top 10 pick. probably in the 5-10 range.

I had a view earlier this year that we should forget the reload and have another crack in 2025 and instead look to the draft to accelerate a rebuild. However after seeing the mouse pack, i think we have most of the puzzle pieces already to at least content for the next 5 years. The obvious questions will be around replacements for May, Gawn, TMac and whether Jeffo comes on and Petty sticks around. 

If we are able to obtain Houston for this years 1st round pick we will have an impressive 2025 side with some quality depth. 

There's only 4 players over 30. A good chunk in the 25-29 bracket and plenty of youth. 

Jeffo when he arrives won’t be bench he will be a gun as good as if not better than Fritta who may go to another level with Jeffo around him. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 17/07/2024 at 19:56, Jeremy said:

Hear this kids name get thrown around a lot but never hear anything about his footy… 

Just read Jeff’s advice on his footy and from now on his rep stuff. It’s always QLD up till now but should broaden from now on. 

Two players in contracts that want to switch to each others state. 

If Petty left we would expect a pick 10-15. Presently, our pick this year will also be pick 10-15. 

Giving up Petty and R1  is essentially asking would you pay 2 x pick 10-15 for Dan Houston at prime whilst you are a finals contender.   

We paid a similar cost for Jake Lever.  It's not far off really.  Houston is older ofc but we are much further in the window. 

4 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Two players in contracts that want to switch to each others state. 

If Petty left we would expect a pick 10-15. Presently, our pick this year will also be pick 10-15. 

Giving up Petty and R1  is essentially asking would you pay 2 x pick 10-15 for Dan Houston at prime whilst you are a finals contender.   

We paid a similar cost for Jake Lever.  It's not far off really.  Houston is older ofc but we are much further in the window. 

Would not pay 2 first round picks for Houston.

11 minutes ago, 58er said:

Jeffo when he arrives won’t be bench he will be a gun as good as if not better than Fritta who may go to another level with Jeffo around him. 

The line-up is for 2025. I don't disagree with you in the longer term but i think Jeffo cannot claim a spot in the 22 without having a single AFL game under his belt. I see that CHF position as a blend of Turner and Jeffo and depending on how Jeffo develops, we may have to relocate Turner into the backline. The beauty is we have a lot of options with Turner, Petty etc that can play both ends of the ground (arguably). 

44 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I had a view earlier this year that we should forget the reload and have another crack in 2025 and instead look to the draft to accelerate a rebuild. However after seeing the mouse pack, i think we have most of the puzzle pieces already to at least content for the next 5 years. The obvious questions will be around replacements for May, Gawn, TMac and whether Jeffo comes on and Petty sticks around. 

Adding Kalani White to that back half in 2026 or 2027 post May will be handy too.

24 minutes ago, 58er said:

Would not pay 2 first round picks for Houston.

Fair nuff. Think it comes down the relative value of Petty then.  We'd have to give up a first round for Houston regardless as a contracted player. 

5 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Adding Kalani White to that back half in 2026 or 2027 post May will be handy too.

The other 3 players id have an eye on as they are out of contract next year are:

Mac Andrew (obvious), Sam De Koning (at the cattery, hard to see it, but if they fall of the face of the earth as we are all expecting at some point, then he may want to leave) and Finn Callaghan. 

• Like 1