Disco Turner’s New Deal

Kicking 3 AFTER he's signed a new deal, LOVE the lad. I must admit I thought he was a bit undersized on previous footage, never got that he's 1.95 (Is his mum editing his wiki page?) and while he's never going to be 2m, I finally got that he is going to be a big lad and definitely the right attitude for a key position player.

Edited by DEE fence
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

When you see him up close he is really solid through the core, he has good height and strength, could be another rough diamond in our youngish list.

• Like 8

On 12/07/2024 at 09:51, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Agreed.
I still think Disco and Petty would make an excellent defensive duo, with Lever as the third.  
Can’t really settle them there with May and now TMac playing as they are.

Don't fiddle with perfection and May is BACK baby.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DeeZone said:

When you see him up close he is really solid through the core, he has good height and strength, could be another rough diamond in our youngish list.

He is going to be a super player. And he kicks straight. So does JVR. Good move to get Turner up forward. Now we can either send Petty down back, or just trade him. I do think he was the best young key back in the comp a couple years back, hence why Adelaide offered what they did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

I find it incredible that after years as a defender Disco is not only proving to be a valuable forward, but a super reliable kick! He hits the ball so sweetly, if he's got it I feel so comfortable.

As a side note, I saw a potential later in the season for him to be a super sub if we find ourselves a little too unsure about how to run with him, JVR, Petty, and Melk. I would say he's cemented his spot but if players start becoming available, he might be the one to make way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

He is going to be a super player. And he kicks straight. So does JVR. Good move to get Turner up forward. Now we can either send Petty down back, or just trade him. I do think he was the best young key back in the comp a couple years back, hence why Adelaide offered what they did. 

I think he will eventually move back if he stays with us. If TMac wasn't in career best form he would probably have already moved back there....

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

18 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Don't fiddle with perfection and May is BACK baby.

May really struggles with frontal pressure. Completely panics.

And if the ball is on the ground, forget it.

That said, he's always struggled with this.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I think he will eventually move back if he stays with us. If TMac wasn't in career best form he would probably have already moved back there....

I reckon Turner forward is the future and the FD will now be hoping that Adams can fill in defence when TMac and May retire.

I'd prefer we go JVR, Turner and a 2nd ruck/forward (Verrall?), with Petty Lever and May (eventually Adams?).

• Like 3

pick 22 in the mid season draft!  what a pick up!

Has so much development in him. And handy to have as a potential swing man if ever needed down back

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I reckon Turner forward is the future and the FD will now be hoping that Adams can fill in defence when TMac and May retire.

I'd prefer we go JVR, Turner and a 2nd ruck/forward (Verrall?), with Petty Lever and May (eventually Adams?).

Agreed. Plus Jefferson may also come into contention from next year but I see him as more a third tall similar to Fritsch

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

He was nothing like this in 20-22, really embarrassing how nervous he is with the ball now in contested situations, completely scared to be tackled and hot potatoes it. We’ve had players I’m scared for when they kick, with May im scared when he handballs! 

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

He was nothing like this in 20-22, really embarrassing how nervous he is with the ball now in contested situations, completely scared to be tackled and hot potatoes it. We’ve had players I’m scared for when they kick, with May im scared when he handballs! 

I disagree. I think he's always panicked.

He's also often the one turning it over by hand and foot.

But he's still a great reader of the play and excellent 1v1.

I’m still a bit confused by what Disco is and will be. 

3rd tall defender especially if Lever can shuffle up to 2nd talls seems most likely given he can intercept mark and contribute to rebound. 

But he has something as a forward, especially with the way he times his leads which is a lost skill for most afl players and certainly most Melbourne forwards.

Given his age and considering he had an interrupted preseason and even missed a couple of weeks lately there’s probably still scope for fitness and mobility improvements. Hasn’t nailed too many tackles as a forward but he’s always looked a good tackler at Casey.

I hope Melk is teaching him the dark arts of the disruptor forward role and how to mess with interceptors with blocks, spoils, timing hits etc. It’s a really important role these days.

I’d still be open to everything including the possibility he plays some midfield or wing if he can string healthy preseasons.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

3rd tall defender especially if Lever can shuffle up to 2nd talls seems most likely given he can intercept mark and contribute to rebound. 

But he has something as a forward, especially with the way he times his leads which is a lost skill for most afl players and certainly most Melbourne forwards.

Given his age and considering he had an interrupted preseason and even missed a couple of weeks lately there’s probably still scope for fitness and mobility improvements. Hasn’t nailed too many tackles as a forward but he’s always looked a good tackler at Casey.

I hope Melk is teaching him the dark arts of the disruptor forward role and how to mess with interceptors with blocks, spoils, timing hits etc. It’s a really important role these days.

I’d still be open to everything including the possibility he plays some midfield or wing if he can string healthy preseasons.

He's super impressive thus far as a fwd. I say keep him there! Loved how he calmy slotted from 55 Sat eve. I like the energy and toughness he exudes and I reckon it gives the feel of the side something new.  Its early to say but he brings to mind someone like a Brody Mihocek from the pies. Someone who seemed sort of average for a while  but became so critical to their set up. Plus given the hit and miss nature of our kicking for goal to have him, Fritter and JVR all up there is a big plus. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

Dunno Bin i reckon he's been running injured.  Or are you saying it happens in a pack mark situation or a player who plays in front, one on one?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

He's super impressive thus far as a fwd. I say keep him there! Loved how he calmy slotted from 55 Sat eve. I like the energy and toughness he exudes and I reckon it gives the feel of the side something new.  Its early to say but he brings to mind someone like a Brody Mihocek from the pies. Someone who seemed sort of average for a while  but became so critical to their set up. Plus given the hit and miss nature of our kicking for goal to have him, Fritter and JVR all up there is a big plus. 

He’s certainly a forward for now. Unless there’s other changes around him. It’s more what do we do late in the year if results don’t go well and it’s experimental time and then over summer.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Dunno Bin i reckon he's been running injured.  Or are you saying it happens in a pack mark situation or a player who plays in front, one on one?

Nah, I mean, when a tackler comes at him, he panics. No one else in our back 7 panics.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

He is a forward every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Needs a lower jumper number tho

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Jjrogan said:

He is a forward every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Needs a lower jumper number tho

No he doesn't.

Pet peeve of mine.

Being "good" doesn't mean you "need" or "deserve" a lower jumper number. 

Let him be 42. Let him be what he was given and make it his own.

(Rant over).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

No he doesn't.

Pet peeve of mine.

Being "good" doesn't mean you "need" or "deserve" a lower jumper number. 

Let him be 42. Let him be what he was given and make it his own.

(Rant over).

Hahah. My comment was tongue in cheek. Nothing to do with merit or privilege, it's just the vibe your honour. 

• Haha 1