"Very sore" Max Gawn in doubt for next Saturday vs Essendon

I don’t know if we’re playing Fullarton, or whether we’ll try to ruck Petty or even Tomlinson.

What I do know is that after JVR’s game yesterday, the last thing we should do is make him ruck any more than sporadically. 

It’s not like the prospect of Gawn missing games this year wasn’t foreseeable, so it’s now up to the FD to implement whatever plan they have. It’s as bad timing as we could have given our ladder position and the upcoming opponents, but I’m hopeful we’ll view it as a chance to learn something new about our list.

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

The chickens coming home to roost is an understatement.

As recently as 4-5 weeks ago in the mid season draft we had a chance to pick up a "break glass" ruckman but we went for another future part timer in Kentfield.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, OhMyDees said:

If not Fullerton then TMac as Ruck and bring in Tommo? Protect JvR at all cost.

Would we be possibly burning the candle both ends having Tommy run around that much ? 

Im still inclined to continue playing Tmac as a defender. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The chickens coming home to roost is an understatement.

As recently as 4-5 weeks ago in the mid season draft we had a chance to pick up a "break glass" ruckman but we went for another future part timer in Kentfield.

Bit harsh on Kentfield. Like any kid, maybe try giving him some time?

The list management point more broadly is valid. But as much as most of us can’t see how this works, let’s see how it looks first.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, BillyBeane said:

Cameron Pederson available? 😁

JUICE NEWTON..... COME ON DOWN!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Bit harsh on Kentfield. Like any kid, maybe try giving him some time?

My comment was that he's a future part timer "ruckman" just like Fullarton and Verral.

We needed a back up ruck on the list

• Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

They just said on ch10 he has a chipped bone. Ugh

Gawn for 4 weeks at least maybe longer!! Chipped Bones are a grating injury! No Pun intended!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

My comment was that he's a future part timer "ruckman" just like Fullarton and Verral.

Fair enough. 

Some would argue we also needed a key forward, or a mid (again, there’s a broader list management issue…).

• Like 1

I think the plan with Kentfield is to have a back up forward when Petty and/or Turner go back when T Mc and May finish up.

So IMO there is/was sound logic in picking up Kentfield.

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So I guess you can rattle of the names of competent ruckmen who were available? 

• Clap 1

Just now, Deestar9 said:

So I guess you can rattle of the names of competent ruckmen who were available? 

There are how many VFL, SANFL WAFL ruckmen out there.

You merely needed to ask and most would nominate. It's not rocket science

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

Made your own bed, now lie in it.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

There are how many VFL, SANFL WAFL ruckmen out there.

You merely needed to ask and most would nominate. It's not rocket science

A big VFL/ SANFL body to contest ruck duels if max goes down or a potential key forward which we have been crying out since Hogan left. I'll take the latter. Rucks who are ineffective around the ground are a liability and a waste of a list spot

• Like 3

I like the way Verrall is tracking, showing intent and effort in his follow up efforts. However, he will get physically dominated by Draper & Goldstein. So I reckon it will be Fullarton. The main problem is Essendon appear to be a good marking team which will stretch us all over the ground. The actual ruck/stoppage work is not my major concern.

• Like 1

Just now, Maldonboy38 said:

I like the way Verrall is tracking, showing intent and effort in his follow up efforts. However, he will get physically dominated by Draper & Goldstein. So I reckon it will be Fullarton. The main problem is Essendon appear to be a good marking team which will stretch us all over the ground. The actual ruck/stoppage work is not my major concern.

peptides love to play a fast moving, quick ball movement, low contest game where they stretch the ground and use their pace

we will need to turn it into a slog 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I’d rather play Tomlinson in the ruck…didn’t he ruck for GWS the year they played the Grand Final. Let him pinch hit and get behind the ball. Keep petty as a sub 

only problem with that is Tommo can’t ruck

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Didnt we get smashed last year because of their two talls? I recall it was gather round and they pumped us when we were Ok and they were bad.

Oh and they have added Goldstein since then.

Yes how can i forget that, front row seats to that s#$% show.

4 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Who will Steven May kick out to then after a behind?

Seriously though its not the ruckwork we'll miss, its the around the ground marking Max does and when he gets back to help out in defence. 

We are so stuffed on saturday. If only we had someone that was well established to replace him. Oh wait. 

If you're referring to Grundy, last time we played Essendon he was owned by Draper. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BoBo said:

I think both TMac and JVR need to play their main roles for the majority of the game for us to win so I’d rather see someone come in and just try to make a contest in the ruck, but mids to rove off Draper.

Haven’t watched any Casey so no idea who is the better option out of Fullarton/Verrall. 

100%, you can't ruck your best tall forward and best tall defender from yesterday.

Fullarton just needs to compete, how knows maybe our mids can read the ball better off the opposition ruckman hands.  You watch Clarry will dominate.

Edited by drdrake
  • Like 3

Looking at our next opponent, Goldstein is out and Draper is their main ruck with Wright playing the same role as JVR. We will badly miss Gawn's presence around the ground but we can cover the pure ruck role by bringing in Fullerton. It is a very obvious 1:1. If he can't get a game with Gawn out then god help him.

They will definitely look to exploit us down back and target Wright and Langford one out against May as much as possible. I would think we also probably need to bring in Tomlinson in now if Petty isn't back. Not sure who misses.

1 hour ago, No10 said:

Maybe TMac. If he can still jump?

Would be incredible if we sent in JvR and is injured as a result.

Incredible is not the word that comes to mind. [censored] Gawn being down for three weeks. I have decided that this is the acid test for us as a club, we do not want to be a one trick pony. We have adjusted to the changes in the mids, we can adjust to no Gawn. He can go and get right and be fresh for finals.

The next three rounds are a mountain no doubt, I haven't stopped believing yet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

He has played 17 senior games. He is no rookie on his first game. This is the exact reason he is on the list. In the games I have seen is as quick as any ruckman and better than a lot, he can take a mark and score goals. Play the guy or move him on at season's end. 

Agree od, this is precisely the situation he’s on the list for.

• Like 3