Trade Targets 2025

42 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

I understand the need for foot skills through our midfield, but foot skills is not Houston, I can assure you. 

Houston is a long and penetrative kick, like Rivers. He is not in the McVee mould of kicking or vision. 

He has really average speed and agility and has had one year considered elite where he finished AA as a half back, not midfielder. 

Disagree, he's a beautiful kick IMO, and has great vision. We must be watching different players.

I genuinely sense that posters have confused us going for him as a mid as opposed to a half back replacement for Rivers. If Riv replacement scenario was true, it'd make more sense, but I'm still ultimately confused at the link.

Rivers is already playing mid. If we had Trac available now, Trac would play mostly forward with Rivers taking more CBAs than Trac.

It's McVee into the midfield hence our interest in Cumming and Houston we hoped, would add to our midfield. Who the hell knows what's happening with Houston anymore. He's either a good poker player or that's no longer a chance.

Houston's traits do not give us anything we don't have in our midfield. I implore posters to watch even some highlights videos of him to get a glimpse. 

I'm not sure he'd work in midfield either, but that's how to sell him on us. The old Jeremy Howe deal. Give him the promise of midfield minutes and if it doesn't work, back to half back.

As for who I am. That remains a secret...

(yes, it's me. I'll play nice this time). 

Welcome back. Binmans PA doesn't always disagree with you. In fact, you come up with good usernames for me. Keep them coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think what he's saying is more around the draft capital we would need to give up for him.

Port will demand a first round pick. We currently have pick 8. Houston will be 28 next year and there is no way he's worth a top 10 pick in my honest opinion.

With where we are at with our list management I think we need to bring in elite midfield talent through the draft and this year's draft is absolutely choc full of them this year especially in the pointy end. I've seen the talent on hand and if we can keep our pick then I'm pretty excited to see what Jason Taylor can work with.

Giving up a first round pick for a 28 old half back flanker doesn't make sense to me as much as hes a gun. You can find cheap good half back flankers through the trade, draft and free agency.

With Tassie coming in, we need to continue to stock pile on talent through the draft if we are to remain competitive.

I can see someone like a Sid Draper for instance coming in and having an immediate impact for us in the midfield similar to a Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell. There are many like him in that first 1-15 bracket.

Agree, good post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

I miss him too. 

I don’t.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Agree, good post.

I like Houston, I really do. He would have been the perfect Melbourne pick perhaps around 2021/2022, but I think with where we are at in terms of list demographic, I'd be happy to hit the draft and get a Cummings as a free agent.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I like Houston, I really do. He would have been the perfect Melbourne pick perhaps around 2021/2022, but I think with where we are at in terms of list demographic, I'd be happy to hit the draft and get a Cummings as a free agent.

Given we have a F/S and an NGA pick in 2025, it seems like the perfect year to dangle our 2025 first rounder again and seeing if we can't land decent player trade or land another 2024 first rounder.

I'm sure we're thinking that. I just hope we can pull it off.

If we could land two of these young mid kids, it could set us up for a decade.

We'd then just need to find a ruck to replace Max in 2-3 years and target FA for a May replacement or another KPF.

I think Noah Balta is a good age to target in 2 years time to fill a potential KPP role. It's unlikely he'll play finals again at Richmond.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

Given we have a F/S and an NGA pick in 2025, it seems like the perfect year to dangle our 2025 first rounder again and seeing if we can't land decent player trade or land another 2024 first rounder.

I'm sure we're thinking that. I just hope we can pull it off.

If we could land two of these young mid kids, it could set us up for a decade.

We'd then just need to find a ruck to replace Max in 2-3 years and target FA for a May replacement or another KPF.

I think Noah Balta is a good age to target in 2 years time to fill a potential KPP role. It's unlikely he'll play finals again at Richmond.

The issue with trading 2025 first rounder is if the afl bidding rules change we may need one for either Ah-Mu or White. We’ve been really good at trading picks so I’m sure they are all over it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think what he's saying is more around the draft capital we would need to give up for him.

Port will demand a first round pick. We currently have pick 8. Houston will be 28 next year and there is no way he's worth a top 10 pick in my honest opinion.

With where we are at with our list management I think we need to bring in elite midfield talent through the draft and this year's draft is absolutely choc full of them this year especially in the pointy end. I've seen the talent on hand and if we can keep our pick then I'm pretty excited to see what Jason Taylor can work with.

Giving up a first round pick for a 28 old half back flanker doesn't make sense to me as much as hes a gun. You can find cheap good half back flankers through the trade, draft and free agency.

With Tassie coming in, we need to continue to stock pile on talent through the draft if we are to remain competitive.

I can see someone like a Sid Draper for instance coming in and having an immediate impact for us in the midfield similar to a Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell. There are many like him in that first 1-15 bracket.

I think Port have Perryman on the hook, and so are willing to except a fair deal or even unders for Houston who's keen to get home for personal reasons, knowing that Perryman for free and Houston for picks leaves them ahead long term.

I'm very nervous it's a Chad Wingard or even worse a Jared Polec situation.

But... we also need an A grade ball user through the middle of the ground (be that high half back or ideally on ball) and those players aren't the kind of half backs you can just find anywhere. And we need it now. 

We can't evolve the game plan if there's no one in the midfield who can hit precise targets.

So I'd be willing to offer our 2025 first and some decent steak knives.

I'd also be willing to consider a swap of our first for Port's first depending where they finish.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'd also be willing to consider a swap of our first for Port's first depending where they finish.

They don’t have one this year. It’s in Freo’s hands 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think Port have Perryman on the hook, and so are willing to except a fair deal or even unders for Houston who's keen to get home for personal reasons, knowing that Perryman for free and Houston for picks leaves them ahead long term.

I'm very nervous it's a Chad Wingard or even worse a Jared Polec situation.

But... we also need an A grade ball user through the middle of the ground (be that high half back or ideally on ball) and those players aren't the kind of half backs you can just find anywhere. And we need it now. 

We can't evolve the game plan if there's no one in the midfield who can hit precise targets.

So I'd be willing to offer our 2025 first and some decent steak knives.

polec was never all oztrayan, but wingard was in ripping form for the pear before he crossed to dingley, twice earning all oztrayan honours, winning the john cahill medal, and twice leading their goalkicking as a half-forward / mid

houston was all oztrayan last year and has barely missed a game since debuting

if we can get him, he'll be the perfect addition to our side's make-up

it'll be very interesting to see how hard we go at getting him

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dee Boys said:

Some really interesting points made, great thread. Coming round to the idea of F1st or nothing for Houston. Definitely don't want to give up this year's pick with all the gun mids in it.

I agree with this, especially considering we have two potential key position players to draft next year.

Getting a genuine gun midfielder to complement Windsor & Kolt from last year is an absolute must in my eyes.

The only other option I see is if JT and co think there are 15-20 players they rank in a similar level, they may look to split our first with Freo's two first rounders and use one for Houston and take the other to the draft....

• Like 5

Worth keeping in mind that AFL are a good chance of approving draft picks from up to 2 future drafts from this years trade period. Our solution might be 1st rounders from ‘25 & ‘26 drafts.

• Like 4
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Worth keeping in mind that AFL are a good chance of approving draft picks from up to 2 future drafts from this years trade period. Our solution might be 1st rounders from ‘25 & ‘26 drafts.

Still way overs for a 28 year old HBF. As much as I like what Houston would bring next year I can’t see it not biting us if we are forced to overpay.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

They don’t have one this year. It’s in Freo’s hands 

Ahh of course, ignore that then. 

That said, if they aren’t using it in a trade Freo might take our future first for Port’s current pick. It’s a good but even draft, I’m not sure Freo will want 3 picks in the first round back to back.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Still way overs for a 28 year old HBF. As much as I like what Houston would bring next year I can’t see it not biting us if we are forced to overpay.

Here's the thing.

For argument's sake...

Would you say it's overs if Houston helped us win a flag in 2025 and/or 2026?

Many said it was overs for Lever, some weren't sure on May either. Myself included on the May front.

I'm all for trading future picks, because we have F/S and NGAs, and we usually work out a way of getting back into the first round anyway.

Alternatively, if JT rates the top 20 this year and thinks we can get two genuine midfield guns, I'd be trading future 1sts to strength our 2024 hand.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Here's the thing.

For argument's sake...

Many said it was overs for Lever, some weren't sure on May either. Myself included on the May front.

I'm all for trading future picks, because we have F/S and NGAs, and we usually work out a way of getting back into the first round anyway.

Alternatively, if JT rates the top 20 this year and thinks we can get two genuine midfield guns, I'd be trading future 1sts to strength our 2024 hand.

This is a good point, I would pay all our picks for another flag.

It also doesn't take into account the potential to add more players through trade and free agency in future to continue replenishing our list...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

If Houston is not in our demographic, when are we building to win the flag then? Oliver is 27. Petracca and Lever are 28. Gawn and May will be 33 next year.

I think the idea of taking Cumming and keeping our picks makes sense if we can pull it off, but I don't agree that Houston is necessarily a poor demographic fit.

The direction we go over the off-season will reflect our confidence in Oliver being able to get back to being an A-grade player. If we don't have that confidence, we might need to make some other moves with older players to refresh the list and alleviate pressure on the salary cap.

• Like 2

Still think we can make finals.

Beat the dogs and Port and we have the momentum and motivation to win the last two 

But how long we last in finals is a different story.

Hopefully enough to change the narrative of straight sets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Here's the thing.

For argument's sake...

Of course I’d take the flag but  we don’t know that. 

what we do know

Tasmania are about to raid the draft, making the next few years so important. 
Kalani White may well go to the GCS, for mine that feels the most likely but I’ve no idea.

Our top pick (pick 8-12ish) surely needs to go to the best young mid with clean skills and a bit of pace. We all know where our midfield rates currently.

If we could get Houston for a future first and a pack of chips I’d be less concerned. 2 first round picks is simply overs for a 28 year old. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Still think we can make finals.

Beat the dogs and Port and we have the momentum and motivation to win the last two 

But how long we last in finals is a different story.

Hopefully enough to change the narrative of straight sets.

What makes you think we will beat theDogs?

• Haha 1