PODCAST: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 3rd June @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons embarrasing loss to Fremantle in Alice Springs.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0228.png

• Thanks 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Newport34 said:

I’m all ears @binman. Put a positive spin on that one. 

I don’t think even he can manage to find a positive, as to a question for the pod is the red and blue print 2024 a failure and do we need to go back to the dees plan of 2021-23 or do we need to persist and see this through 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Where to start? A playing group that looks confused with this game plan. No effort by the coaches to stem Freo’s kick mark ball movement. Goody basically had the headset off after half time.

And for the love of god, please put some heat on this midfield that let the Dockers waltz out of stoppage all game.

I had thought we were one of the most reliable footy teams that performs to a standard week-in-week out. I have no confidence in this club anymore and what they stand for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

i dont even know where to begin with fixing this . this was the most embarrassing game i have seen the dees play since mark neeld . is the problem the midfield, the forwards, our defence ? is it the gameplan ? is it the coaches ? it's so deflating

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry lads, this be the first one I won't listen to since I started in 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GAMEPLAN

The Red and Blue-print simply isn't working. When we turn the ball over in the back half our disposal is not good enough to successfully move the ball to the forward line. We actually ended up with 1 more turnover than the Dockers today, but got significantly outscored on turnover (I'm sure Binman has the stats). Yes Fremantle's pressure was good, but not enough to show that kind of difference that leads to a 96 point loss. I think we simply don't have the personnel to make the gameplan work. We're not skillful enough to move the ball fast without turning it back over and we're not good enough in the air to take the contested marks necessary. We have to fix at least one of those.

Should we persist with the gameplan? (for the record, I think Goody will persist because that's his nature)

What changes can we make to turn the gameplan around? Is it as simple as JVR coming in or are there other structural changes we need?

TACKLING

Our tackling technique seems very poor. Countless times today Fremantle players would push off Melbourne players in tackles. Are there any recorded stats on missed or broken tackles? Surely we must be amongst the worst at successful tackles.

PERSONNEL

Again, I will put forward the point that we look much better with 7 talls than 6. With 6 it means that there is frequently only 1 tall forward to kick to when we boot the ball from D50 (1 tall forward is on the bench) and they consistently lose those contests in a 2 on 1. 7 talls means that we should have even numbers at those contests and it gives us a chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

Not suggesting that the result would have been any different at the MCG given our recent record against the Dockers there but do you think we should end our Northern Territory home game sell off? We have a terrible record there and after 12 games this season supporters have only had 4 home games to attend at the G and we will only play our 5th home game at the G in Round 15. ROUND 15 IS ONLY OUR 5TH HOME GAME AT THE MCG THIS SEASON!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

Surely the Petty up forward experiment is over. Swap him with TMac. Leave TMac forward and either send Petty down back or send him to Casey to work on his forward craft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

Can you use loading as an excuse for a 90+ point loss?

Genuine question because I'm going to find it a hard listen if that's the narrative and that we'll be running on top of the ground in a few months.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

After that performance and the Eagles game a fortnight ago I honestly cannot see us playing finals this season and our current position outside of the 8 absolutely flatters us at the moment.

Do the panel think that this form can be turned around or are we just not good enough?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Turner and petty need to go out of the team petty is next to useless MacDonald needs to go forward question for you boys what has happened to our hunger and never say die attitude the mids for the last few weeks have been second to the ball if they keep playing the way they are at least we won’t have to worry about going out in straits sets cause if nothing changes now we won’t be playing finals today’s performance was an absolute disgrace 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The only positive I can take out of this debacle is that in Round 13 of the year 2000 we lost to Carlton by 98 points and then went on to play in a Grand Final. That's all I've got.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi guys, thanks again for always turning up even after these tough losses.

Petty and Disco dont really offer anything so do you think it’s time to bite the bullet and play Jefferson and Fullerton to see if they offer anything different?

Not sure what we have to lose trying something different, interested in your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Almost 100 point loss to one of the worse offensive sides in the comp statically.

That is a very very bad loss.  Do we need to throw this new gameplan out the window ?as i don't think we have the cattle for it.  Which woukd mean reverting back to out old long to the pocket gameplan, which i have never had an issue with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mini rebuild now? Including an overhaul of the FD and coaching staff.

Time to do something before we find ourselves out in the wilderness for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

Surely the Petty up forward experiment is over. Swap him with TMac. Leave TMac forward and either send Petty down back or send him to Casey to work on his forward craft.

Ah no just ring Adelaide and see what they are prepared to offer us for next year!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wtf was that?  (Serious question!)

My next question is about depth and fringe players.  We rely on too few to be superstars and drag the rest along,  when Trac and max look good, so do the others.  Are the rest of the squad seriously that fringe that they need these two to carry them each week? (Harsh i know but that’s where it is at.) who else can carry the team?

if Oliver was rested and Viney out injured, who would come in?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pingu said:

Shame McAdam once again failed to make the distance with a 35 metre kick. Surely we can't continue to gift him games.

I’m still not sure what McAdam brings to the table. Can’t kick the distance and his body language is terrible. He lacks confidence and I’m at a loss to understand the hype and why we recruited him. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Are the expectations of this team in excess of what they can possibly deliver this season?

While flags are ever won in June, the gap between our best and our worst has widened measurably this year compared to 2021, 2022 and 2023. 

• Thanks 4

Gentlemen, I have only one request. Please limit your broadcast to a maximum of 15 minutes or I, like @Clintosaurus, will give it a miss this week. All we need is 5 minutes (or less!) on the game, 5 minutes on changes and 5 minutes on Casey. Having sat through that horrible game, I do not wish to hear it dissected over an extended podcast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I left a voice message after the Eagles game and was smugly dismissed when I stated we’d be lucky to make the 4 this year 

Good luck explaining this result. Time to wake up and smell the Roses. This era is over, if you can’t see it, after today. I’d like to order a pair of the “rose” coloured glasses the podcast panel is watching this season through!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1