McVee midfield

19 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

and who plays as our #1 small defender who both locks down on the best oppo small forward AND provides rebound run; you know, how we generate our most scoring opportunities?

We are missing run and kicking skills in the midfield.

21 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

and who plays as our #1 small defender who both locks down on the best oppo small forward AND provides rebound run; you know, how we generate our most scoring opportunities?

Who cares, midfields more important

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I don't know if McVee is strong enough to play as a centre square mid yet but I think we can benefit by feeding him more handball receives.

I would also like to see us occasionally push McVee or Bowey up to the general stoppages and play with no loose defender (Salem or Lever) because they both have has great speed and are very good kicks.

• Like 6
  • Thinking 1

22 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I don't know if McVee is strong enough to play as a centre square mid yet but I think we can benefit by feeding him more handball receives.

I would also like to see us occasionally push McVee or Bowey up to the general stoppages and play with no loose defender (Salem or Lever) because they both have has great speed and are very good kicks.

Gee I don’t recall the Daicos boys being that strong in the contest...

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

58 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Bowey?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Love to see him on a wing at some stage delivering into the forward line

When we develop a replacement for McVee in defence.  Bowey? AMW?? Howes??

At the moment I wouldn't (and I very much doubt if Goody would) tinker with our defensive unit too much.  Judd is one of the keys.

• Like 3

The backline needs all the help it can get to transition positively. Taking out the soul of that change is not the decision I would advise.

We’re fine through the middle anyway.

• Like 3

You know, being a midfielder isn’t like a milestone of maturity and achievement.

You need players in other positions to be a rounded team. Pickett has been great in there because he provides something we have been missing. 

But it is not the only answer available to the open questions for this team.

• Like 8

I'd much prefer Bowser playing off the back of stoppage, ala Salem.

That's realistic too. Not sure McVee through the midfield this year is.

• Clap 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, rpfc said:

The backline needs all the help it can get to transition positively. Taking out the soul of that change is not the decision I would advise.

We’re fine through the middle anyway.

Yeah a one paced midfield with a lack of outside run and carry, name our midfielder who can pass like Bont, Reid etc and under pressure?

Edited by demon3165

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

When someone else can fill that role.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

McVee can be a weapon.

Look at Pickett, I already feel more confident of winning the centre clearance when he is there

Edited by The Stigga
  • Like 1

We still need another really good medium defender like Hibbo. If we can draft or recruit his replacement, then he will be a great midfielder 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

What contest ?

2 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Bowey.

2 hours ago, adonski said:

Who cares, midfields more important

Not to us

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Bowsa or Moniz

Gazz & Tim are late comers here anyway.  A number of us on here were suggesting we start blooding McVee further up the field last season in order to improve our connection from his kicking skills coming inside 50.  Not to mention his agility and skills at ground level.

I'm assuming one of these was Andy 😄

Im guessing he'd need a full pre-season training in the middle or on a wing before the FD would be willing to trial him in such a new role anyway.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

2 hours ago, demon3165 said:

They aren’t, which is why Josh plays mostly on the wing and why Nick plays his best footy getting handball receives. But he’s also a freakish runner and accumulator and incredible getting out of traffic when he’s on the move.

Patience, my young padawan, patience. This kid is a gem but he is not ready for the midfield yet. Yet. I see him in there in the next 2 years. Also we have no-one else with his poise and kicking skills to replace him down back. 

• Like 1