POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

31 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

The day after losses like these are the worst.

Think I had nightmares of Reid pushing over/fending off our lightweight, once vaunted midfield brigade, turning on the jets and scoring a ripper goal in front of our noses. There was also us getting outmarked everywhere, and just flopping about, unable to make or stick tackles. 

I honestly don't mind losing. Can't win 'em all. BUT only if we turn up, respecting our opponents, having a dip for 4 qtrs. None of that happened. We turned up expecting a win, and got OWNED by a bottom 4 team. 

A true nightmare. 

111 marks to 60, made them look like the West Coast of old.

We find ourselves in a position of coming up against teams who seem to want it more, especially where the midfield battle is concerned. I don't know how you fix that but if they don't have the desire to put in the work then the door is over there. 

These ones certainly sting the next day in the office. Not wanting to show your face, wish I could work from home!

• Like 3

You reap what you sow, look at the players  at Casey we traded in the last 2 seasons who struggled at their clubs, we currently have only 1 playing,  Billings who’s kicking is poor, premiership window closed! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, layzie said:

111 marks to 60, made them look like the West Coast of old.

We find ourselves in a position of coming up against teams who seem to want it more, especially where the midfield battle is concerned. I don't know how you fix that but if they don't have the desire to put in the work then the door is over there. 

These ones certainly sting the next day in the office. Not wanting to show your face, wish I could work from home!

Yep - took me back to the prelim at the least - smashed everywhere - and certainly to the many years of their dominance. 

Yeah our midfield have been, aside from brief exceptions, beaten this year and looked sluggish. Can't make/stick tackles. I'd love to show some the door but the reality is we have very little by way of depth. It'll end up being that rotating door system where we send guys back to the 2s - they get replaced by guys who just aren't good enough/ready, they don't make the cut in the main team - and are sent back, then replaced by the incumbents who go on to do the same thing. We have done a lot of that the last 2 years, especially in our forward line. Not saying we shouldn't send some back, just don't know what we will get will be any better. Have not been impressed with the bits I have seen of the Casey guys - hence where they are on the ladder.

Haha yeah, I am thankfully at home today - but holding a lot of video calls, and have already been reminded a few times...

GGRRRRRrrrr

• Like 1

Viney tagged. 

Oliver tagged and kept off the ball unpenalised

Kossie heavily tagged.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Fritsch 1 tackle, Brown 1 tackle, Petty 4 tackles.

Jack Darling 12 tackles.

Interesting, this. 

Apparently that’s the first time he’s laid more than 6 tackles in a game since 2014.

Is that on us? Like did we give him the opportunity? Or is it a case of him playing out of his skin? (Or both?)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

You reap what you sow, look at the players  at Casey we traded in the last 2 seasons who struggled at their clubs, we currently have only 1 playing,  Billings who’s kicking is poor, premiership window closed! 

Billings isn't as bad as Demonland would have you think. Sure his set shot kicking has been a real issue, but he's not the worst imo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Interesting, this. 

Apparently that’s the first time he’s laid more than 6 tackles in a game since 2014.

Is that on us? Like did we give him the opportunity? Or is it a case of him playing out of his skin? (Or both?)

I wonder how many of the 12 were on BBB.  Sadly, he wouldn't be the hardest guy to chase down and tackle 😪.

14 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

Be nice if Goody could skip the presser, cause I almost don’t want to hear the dribble that comes out his mouth 🤮

Again, and again, almost continuously every time and then once again, I think I also am made severely unwell and psychologically maladjusted by what Badloss does at press conferences, post-game. Sorry, folks, but it is true.

• Like 1

Was at the game, it was truly pathetic and embarrassing. One of the more frustrating efforts I've seen. I still can't believe I am saying we need a key forward 3 yrs in a row. Its either salary cap issues or poor list management/coaches belief. No words really but we are a meat and potatoes team with very limited skill across the board and a constant makeshift forward line that is one so frustrating to watch every single week.

Why didn't Petty go back when Lever was out? Brown is useless, once he doesn't mark it we are one down, McAdam was poor and didn't chase. Billings, Viney, Oliver, Sparrow.....

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

48 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Viney tagged. 

Oliver tagged and kept off the ball unpenalised

Kossie heavily tagged.

There was around 7 or 8 tags. 

7 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

Would we be better if we still had Jayden Hunt  and Harmesey? 

Nope. I think we did the right thing with those two.

JJ and Grundy, probably better off still having them.

I wonder about Tomlinson too.

I can see him leaving and doing well elsewhere.

Gee I miss you and your hard work off half back Gus.

Starting to twitch at the thought of the KB game.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

It’s troubling how easily teams can target our ‘strength’ and expose every other part of our game.

We are not a team that brings contest 100% of the time. We bring it occasionally and only if we feel like it.

West Coast are barely emerging, and they gave us a proper flogging. This wasn’t a game we looked like winning from the moment the ball was bounced 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, manny100 said:

We lost Brayshaw who is a gun and Smith who was  handy player.

This game we lost JVR and Langdon. Lever subbed off early.

We have a lot of inexperienced players in the team. The list is being refreshed.

The scene was set early for a WCE win.

We have our core of guns still playing well. We need to lure another gun tall off-season.

Joel Smith was never going to set the house on fire, nor was he going to make an AA. But his athleticism was something our team lacks.

I think we are seeing the toll of this off season (losing Gus and Joel and the forbidden topic)- one that is going to take a while to remedy unfortunately. 

I have no answers but after a solid 2 hours sleep I’m a bit calmer and think if the Pies could turn it around after 0-3 , so can we. 

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Yep - took me back to the prelim at the least - smashed everywhere - and certainly to the many years of their dominance. 

Yeah our midfield have been, aside from brief exceptions, beaten this year and looked sluggish. Can't make/stick tackles. I'd love to show some the door but the reality is we have very little by way of depth. It'll end up being that rotating door system where we send guys back to the 2s - they get replaced by guys who just aren't good enough/ready, they don't make the cut in the main team - and are sent back, then replaced by the incumbents who go on to do the same thing. We have done a lot of that the last 2 years, especially in our forward line. Not saying we shouldn't send some back, just don't know what we will get will be any better. Have not been impressed with the bits I have seen of the Casey guys - hence where they are on the ladder.

Haha yeah, I am thankfully at home today - but holding a lot of video calls, and have already been reminded a few times...

GGRRRRRrrrr

Who would you like to show the door to??

16 hours ago, poita said:

It's absolutely laughable that some people think we have depth. We have maybe 18 decent players and the rest are very, very ordinary. 

The failure of Goodwin and Lamb to turn over our many C graders and try to find some diamonds in the rough over the past three years is a massive dereliction of duty. 

Agree - who thinks we have depth?

Certainly, not many on here

When Brown and Billings are still getting a game, you know the cupboard is quite bare

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Nope. I think we did the right thing with those two.

JJ and Grundy, probably better off still having them.

I wonder about Tomlinson too.

I can see him leaving and doing well elsewhere.

Gee I miss you and your hard work off half back Gus.

Starting to twitch at the thought of the KB game.

i don't

De-list or trade for a 12th rounder

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Which side of the white line ??? 😉

( asking for a friend 🤔🤣 )

37 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

There was around 7 or 8 tags. 

At that stage is it even a tag? Or is it just playing man on man and holding your opponent accountable? 

• Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, sam6172 said:

At that stage is it even a tag? Or is it just playing man on man and holding your opponent accountable? 

Nail on head.

🤔🤔Coach's brief ( Simpson ) .. go out and beat YOUR man, the rest will follow.

And it did

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Sorry, by door I meant door to Casey haha

But on that, probably Petty (who at the very least should have been sent back when Lever went down). He offered nothing, and has offered nothing all year, save for a good game against the Cats. Now a striking anomaly. Don't know how we will get anything for him at year end. Maybe it's a plan he and the Crows concocted - to play so bad that his market value is next to nil at year end, and they grab him cheap. 

Probably Salo. I have loved him as a player over the years, but he is a shell of his former self. His foot skills have been bog ordinary, for someone who has been regarded as a precision guy. 

BBB, sadly. I say just wrap him in cotton wool and save him for a final, if we get there. 

Sparrow. I like him. And he occasionally shows glimpses. But just not often enough. Don't know why.

But as I mentioned above, there aren't many to replace those guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

three first rounders and then if you believe the reports we tried to sweeten it with a couple of second rounders and meth coke STILL said no... justifiably

reid is an absolute freak of a first year footballer

How stupid do North look for winning that meaningless rd 20 game to miss the wooden spoon!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, TheWiz said:

Time to hang up the boots Ben. Very disappointing past three games. Just lumbers about and barely breaks a mild jog.

West Coast: 99 minutes for 3 touches, 1 goal and 1 tackle. 

Brisbane: 97 minutes for 4 touches, 1 goal and 0 tackles.

Adelaide: 82 minutes for 5 touches, 0 goals, and 1 tackle.

He was probably told that the only reason he was playing this week was in replacement of JVR and that he'll be back at Casey next weekend. Would be hard to stay motivated particularly for a 4 hour away trip.

Agreed that he's completely run out of gas after a very promising Dogs and Port game, and simply not helping the team.

40 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Agree - who thinks we have depth?

Certainly, not many on here

When Brown and Billings are still getting a game, you know the cupboard is quite bare

The problem is if our main liners don’t have a good game it rare to see the next players down step up, although I don’t know that is unique to us. But when’s the last time Sparrow ANB, rivers, Salem and the like stepped up when players like Trac and Oliver or May are Struggling. They play there role and might have a good game when when everyone else is but I dont recall when they have had a statement game when the chips were down

• Like 2

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He was probably told that the only reason he was playing this week was in replacement of JVR and that he'll be back at Casey next weekend. Would be hard to stay motivated particularly for a 4 hour away trip.

Agreed that he's completely run out of gas after a very promising Dogs and Port game, and simply not helping the team.

Do you really think the coaches said that to him? 

Or do you think it perhaps is more likely they said something like "you get your chance here, go and seize this spot in the side"?

And that he didn't, not because he doesn't care or wasn't motivated, but because he just wasn't capable?

• Like 1