PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

2 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Interesting comment. He comes from a very different background compared to the top kids who have been crafted to be a professional like Windsor. Hopefully he can turn it around because the talent is there.

In what way do you think he comes from a “very different background”. The kid was a heavy set full forward before arriving at Melbourne and has worked extremely hard to trim himself down. Interested in justification for your comments

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Can we add Darling to the outs as well? Does he get a week for that high bump? The Collingwood player was falling down, but still elected to bump and got him high. 

not much in it i thought

mind you, that probably means 3 weeks

1 minute ago, MrFreeze said:

Interesting comment. He comes from a very different background compared to the top kids who have been crafted to be a professional like Windsor. Hopefully he can turn it around because the talent is there.

Yeah, I rarely have this kind of info, but a friend of the family knows him well. But we’ve learned from Max that these things can turn around in pretty spectacular fashion. We’ll see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, godees said:

Definite?

Not definite, but just gone to hospital with suspected internal injuries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

In what way do you think he comes from a “very different background”. The kid was a heavy set full forward before arriving at Melbourne and has worked extremely hard to trim himself down. Interested in justification for your comments

We took a risk to rookie him as I don't think he was in draft contention. As it says in his bio, he was plucked from obscurity. https://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/8630/oliver-sestan

Other talented youngsters get to train in academies or expensive sports colleges which would be a massive advantage in developing professional standards. 

Bobby Hill is clearly hampered by an injury. Hoping it’s something that doesn’t let up for around three and a half weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/05/2024 at 00:14, whatwhat say what said:

can't see a 'tall' being used a sub

fritsch is not getting dropped, nor played as a sub

rivers stays down back for mine, and neal-bullen plays more midfield time - he was excellent in the square and around stoppages in the second half

ditto sparrow

ANB - he was excellent in the midfield for his part-game opportunity; double-edged sword, is our Nibbler. Breaks free with the ball through the midfield, stops opposition run-ons with poise 'on the turf' to slow play (and get our backs enough time to defend spaces they have temporarily left vacant).

• Love 1

JVR out with concussion. Maybe BBB but who’s our 2nd ruckman?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Hearing from a moderately reliable source that JVR has entered concussion protocols and will miss the Eagles game. Apparently on 9 news?

Ch 9 news said JvR will not be going to Perth. Last quarter (?) marking attempt fell forward and hit his head on the turf.

17 minutes ago, M_9 said:

JVR out with concussion. Maybe BBB but who’s our 2nd ruckman?

Brown to come in and Petty to play as the second ruckman.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

We took a risk to rookie him as I don't think he was in draft contention. As it says in his bio, he was plucked from obscurity. https://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/8630/oliver-sestan

Other talented youngsters get to train in academies or expensive sports colleges which would be a massive advantage in developing professional standards. 

He dominated in APS schoolboy football for Xavier. He was hopeful of being drafted. The 20 goals he kicked in the country was a game he played with mates in the school holidays. He was not that obscure 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If JVR is out I feel like we should give Verrall a shot and maybe limit Max's minutes if we can. 

Be even better if we could leave Max in Melbourne

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

If JVR is out I feel like we should give Verrall a shot and maybe limit Max's minutes if we can. 

Be even better if we could leave Max in Melbourne

It probably is a game where Max could be saved the flight and have time to freshen.

That is not a cocky statement, but rather borne out of a need to manage Max.

I am a JVR fan, but with him out and if Max was rested, Verall and BBB would go ok as replacements. JVR is not in fantastic form atm.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

@WalkingCivilWar do you have any inside gossip on whether they're training in WA this time around?

My 5 yr old son is super hyped to see the dees so I'm keen to hear about any opportunities there might be for player interaction. How early before bounce down do the players usually warm up before heading back down the race?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Wasn't overly impressed by the performances of those at Casey. Think we will keep it simple and replace JvR with Brown. Petty will have to be the chop out ruck in this case. If they're not happy with Browns form/fitness perhaps Fullarton will get a demon debut to fill the forward/ruck void. Verrall isn't ready yet in my opinion.

Tholstrup needs more consistency in performance before getting another promotion. I like Laurie but don't think his performance at Casey warranted a recall. Can't see a need for Hunter unless we drop one of our wingers or think he would be an upgrade on Billings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Anyone point me to the expected score from Friday but not on twitter X

We won.

• Clap 1

Still think it’s time for Rivers on ball, Woey in to the 22 and happy to go small up forward.

Disco can have a run around as the second ruck. 

Before the Casey game I would’ve had:

In: McAdam, Verrell, Salem

Out: JVR (concussion), Turner, Billings

We may go with BBB and have Petty play backup ruck but I think Verrell can play more ruck minutes and we would be wise to help Max a bit after a bruising two weeks for him (mostly illegally but apparently the GOAT ruckman doesn’t deserve any protection at all). 
Having Bowey, Howes, Rivers with Woey also showing a bit down back (I’d still have him sub or Billing’s sub with Woey playing more forward) in the same team we finally get to see Salem play midfield for the first time since preseason. When Bowey went down Salo was forced to go back and we haven’t seen the setup that looked so promising in pre-season with he and Rivers rotating through the midfield. 

The Carlton game was annoying as we are the better team and really owe them one especially as it would’ve made this season far easier, finals a near fait acompli and be well in the hunt for top two but instead we need to win our next three and set up a huge showdown with the Pies. Hopefully that begins with smashing a wounded Eagles outfit this week!

On 09/05/2024 at 22:48, Gouga said:

Surely mcadam for billings...

He is lucky to get a kick at Casey, far from impressive so far but I think he’s not fit as yet.

On 10/05/2024 at 08:34, samcantstandya said:

What about Billings, I'm not sold on him, thoughts.

Billings has only played 8 games with us, still learning and adapting….class player at best.I would consider Verall to come in to cover JVR.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Wasn't overly impressed by the performances of those at Casey. Think we will keep it simple and replace JvR with Brown. Petty will have to be the chop out ruck in this case. If they're not happy with Browns form/fitness perhaps Fullarton will get a demon debut to fill the forward/ruck void. Verrall isn't ready yet in my opinion.

Tholstrup needs more consistency in performance before getting another promotion. I like Laurie but don't think his performance at Casey warranted a recall. Can't see a need for Hunter unless we drop one of our wingers or think he would be an upgrade on Billings.

Fair analysis in my opinion.