PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

Can the resolve from our flag year be re-ignited, or is it like grasping the nettle?

Sentimentality aside the three 2021 performances against the sCats represent a relatively recent high water mark. The two contests since have resulted in being ultimately being runover in the last quarter at Kardinia Kittylitter Park. Payback seemingly for our opportune good fortune in the premiership season.

The usual suspects represent the biggest threats Jezza 🔔end and the 🦅 . (His portrait remains out of public view in GFC boardroom cloakroom). Add the quality of recent recruitment and Chris Scott's maturation as head coach.

The big challenge is can the Demons change a good red into vinegar and start to sour the sCats season?

Fingers crossed third time lucky.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

While we have some very experienced players, we also had five in the team against Richmond who had each played fewer than 10 games (Howes, Windsor, Laurie, Turner, Woewodin). 

They weren't the ones completely responsible for turning the footy over. Even though Windsor had a couple of uncharacteristic howlers.

What I was trying to get across was that our best and most senior players aren't going 100% every week, and they get excited for these big games. We have another level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Unless Stewart had a particularly bad concussion, or hasn’t recovered well, he’ll certainly be playing, and we should assume he’s playing.

One comment that raised by eyebrow on the Geelong Bigfooty was this:

“Stanley plays better with at least a little continuity so I'd back him in against Gawn

I was in the Geelong coterie box on Saturday afternoon and word in there was he's 50:50 at best. They will err on not playing him as he's had multiple concussions.

It's probably less about Stanley and more about Geelong's smart ball use to avoid Max down the line. That will be one of the deciding factors in the game.

Edited by Sparrowsfart
  • Like 4

Both these team have been extremely efficient in front of goal this season. This gained us one extra victory vs expected score against Port and the Cats lost three times on expected score against Carlton (marginally), WB and Adelaide and only just beat Hawthorn. They are not that as good as their undefeated record suggests.

That said, Chris Scott is a master tactician and has a lot of flexibility in his squad. Stewart, Blicavs and Cameron are particularly hard to plan against, so it will be interesting if we alter our defensive strategy to have someone follow Cameron up the field and how we organise at stoppages if Blicavs goes to Petracca.

In addition to Steward, De Koning is also someone we will try to avoid when we go forward.

Our best chance to win is a monster game from Max and the centre bounces going our way.

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

5 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Hore for Woewodin and McAdam in for Laurie with Billings to be the sub

If McAdam is physically ready bring him in i say.

I remember the defensive job he did on Lever last year never let him take a mark whilst he was at the Crows.

impressive to say the least and i think he also has it in his locker to hit the scoreboard.

SMac adds much needed goal power which you can't get enough of.

• Like 2

Do we want to see Rivers spend more time in the middle.

I'd like Hore for Woey and McAdam in for Laurie too. Although with his two goals v the tigers it's a bit rough.

Petty will not get dropped. So these are really the only two options for exclusion I think.

Edited by leave it to deever

If we can maintain a relatively injury free few months and get McAdam (Carlton), Bowey (Carlton) and Salem back in, then follow that up with the return of Melksham (If he can find some form) we're in a strong position to tackle the back half of the season. Add the likely return to full fitness and form of Petty and the possible introduction of Fullarton or even Verrall and who knows what can happen. Just remember if we can squeeze into the top 4 the finals footy we're likely to see will be contest heavy and that's our one wood when we're fit. It's all about the fitness this year even more so than normal with the amount of top teams.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

If we can maintain a relatively injury free few months and get McAdam (Carlton), Bowey (Carlton) and Salem back in, then follow that up with the return of Melksham (If he can find some form) we're in a strong position to tackle the back half of the season. Add the likely return to full fitness and form of Petty and the possible introduction of Fullarton or even Verrall and who knows what can happen. Just remember if we can squeeze into the top 4 the finals footy we're likely to see will be contest heavy and that's our one wood when we're fit. It's all about the fitness this year even more so than normal with the amount of top teams.

Milkshake may struggle to get back in and have enough time to find form. But maybe that role can be done by McAdam.  A fit and firing Salo and Bowey would really help. It might be a stretch for the rucks you mentioned but it would be a game changer to have a successful and one playing that can also impact up fwd. There's plenty of time. We just have to cross our fingers and hope we don't lose anyone else in the interim. Especially one of our mids.

I'd also like to see Hunter back in the team. And maybe there is still hope for the Bbb option. I'll be paying close attention to Disco and hoping he can continue last week's game form on a regular basis. Spargo may struggle to get back in but maybe he could see time as a sneaky goal sub.

So a lot to consider for the selection committee but as always a lot of success depends on luck. Aside from the players just mentioned, I don't feel we have a great deal of proven depth at present. Especially in our midfielders. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparrowsfart said:

I was in the Geelong coterie box on Saturday afternoon and word in there was he's 50:50 at best. They will err on not playing him as he's had multiple concussions.

It's probably less about Stanley and more about Geelong's smart ball use to avoid Max down the line. That will be one of the deciding factors in the game.

Ok. Thanks for the inside word.

There’s been no speculation of him missing, but at the same time Geelong do rest senior players throughout the season. 

51 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Milkshake may struggle to get back in and have enough time to find form.

Honestly, the bloke will probably play 1 or 2 games at casey and then come back in. He will drag us kicking and screaming as far as we can possibly go. determination = 20. If he hadnt popped his knee last year he'd have dragged us to a flag himself.

• Like 7

If we do a number on Geelong this week to break their winning streak, and I think we can, that will set us up as serious contenders for the flag. Thank God its not at Kardinia Park. Go Dees.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

That is an absurd win ration. Wonder if there’s many (any?) teams with a better record than that over a 25 year period. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

the interesting thing is the seeming acceptance that the VFL is not an adequate space for gaining match fitness by best 22 players.

Really need to question the continued dumbing down of the VFL as a competition. I've no idea of the solution but post pandemic when the competition was eliminated it has gone downhill. Is it time to scrap the VFL?

I have been saying this for EONS! BASKET CASE of a competition

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fritta and Turner said:

Ah can I sir please?  😃

Seriously Fritta plays timid?  (I have a vested interest - the avatar is Fritta standing the mark).

In one sense for his size he has to.  He tried the well timed bump against one of the Lions and ended up on his posterior.

Consequently he will not be able to hold the ball in the forward line..which obviously was my point.

He may kick 6( I should have said that as well)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggestred said:

Honestly, the bloke will probably play 1 or 2 games at casey and then come back in. He will drag us kicking and screaming as far as we can possibly go. determination = 20. If he hadnt popped his knee last year he'd have dragged us to a flag himself.

I hope saw. It did incredibly well last year to recapture his old form. But healing and getting back on track is harder for older players. Mfc claims he's 7 to eight weeks away which probably means 12 to 14. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Cats are an interesting team. They slingshot from defence and they are exceptionally well drilled in how they move the ball. They don't put as much emphasis on clearances as others. They don't do chaos

Losing Dangerfield makes helps because he is the one guy that can set up a Cat chain.

Disrupting their precise ball movement and having some weapons ourselves will be the key. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

The Cats are an interesting team. They slingshot from defence and they are exceptionally well drilled in how they move the ball. They don't put as much emphasis on clearances as others. They don't do chaos

Losing Dangerfield makes helps because he is the one guy that can set up a Cat chain.

Disrupting their precise ball movement and having some weapons ourselves will be the key. 

Collingwood were the masters of this style of play and we shut them down on KB with some ease. We should get over them. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Sparrowsfart said:

To me - result hinges on availability of Tom Stewart. If he plays they'll have a brick wall that we won't be able to penetrate.

I went to Geelong-Carlton and the Cats looked great across the ground. Their biggest weakness is Stanley who was deplorable. Max should be able to own the ruck.

We should have more explosiveness around stoppage, I'm feeling a big game from Clarry.

The other piece that is often overlooked is that our team is very experienced now. We don't fire on all cylinders every week and you can't draw too much from that Richmond first half.

My prediction if Stewart plays is flip of a coin. 

No Stewart and I see a Dees 3-4 goal win and a heap of expectation coming our way for the rest of the year.

No he wont. They'll do the Blicavs and Stanley rotation which will neutralise the ruck for most of the night. Its on Page 1 of Scott's how to beat MFC playbook. 

Even if Max does manage to edge in front, Scott will throw a blanket on Trac and trust Guthrie to monster Oliver so well likely lose any hit-out advantage that Max can create. The Viney matchup will be interesting. I think they'll go with Holmes to exploit his lack of pace. 

Expect Petty to do a number on Stewart, its the least he can do given he is out-of-form. Getting a Henry-Turner matchup will be a good thing as will JVR on Koladskneejkhp (not even bothering to spell check). 

• Like 3